Break For It (Fan Production Demo) Project - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-21-2021, 07:20 AM   #31
ThatGirlon55th

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Break For It (Fan Production Demo) Project

Awesome! Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatGirlon55th is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #32
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Break For It (Fan Production Demo) Project

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 View Post
    Have you ever wondered what a more completed album version of Break For It sound like?

I'll never forget when the sound check video from Vegas 2007 popped up. Something in this version gave me great hope for new Dave Matthews Band album which was being worked on with Mark Batson. This song reminded me of Trouble With You. Just a simple hypnotic lick with a pocket groove that just grew organically into a beautiful chorus. I was hooked.

From then on I felt this connection to the song. This feeling had never left and ultimately inspired this little passion project of mine.

Fast forward to 2010 when it finally made its debut on tour. I was so hopeful the band was ready to release a more solid version of this song. They didn't, and that's okay. I still enjoyed the music coming out of the band.

Then in 2018 "The Batson Sessions" leaked and my goodness I was like a kid on Christmas. I rushed home to find the files and listened to them straight through. Break For It, Drive Me Away, and Shotgun!!! I was in tears because they actually worked on these beautiful jems.

When I first heard the The Batson Sessions Break For It, I was right back to the very first time I heard the 2007 sound check. Even though there were a lot of production elements left off like background vocals, keys, etc. The song was incomplete.

I've dreamt of a more complete studio version of Break For It. Reoccurring dreams actually. This bizarre connection has not left me alone.

I started goofing around adding piano, keys, vocals to the Batson version trying to bring my dream to life. This was a passion project I would frequently visit. Then leave it. Then come back to it with a new approach.

Last year I upgraded my DAW and added a few other fun pieces of equipment. I've spent the last several months fine tuning my vision and I finally think I'm happy with it and I'm excited to share it with you all.

https://youtu.be/niJhXzmGKZ8

So sorry for the rambling.

- Andrew

Few production notes:

I really love the riff playing throughout this song, so I wanted to embellish the idea and give it a twist creating a celestial hypnotic vibe. I took a lot of inspiration from the 2007 sound check video, specifically Butch Taylor's EPiano and the droning bass arpeggio during the choruses.

The Dave wails I used in the choruses are actually the beginning vocal of Get in Line.

I love Mark Batson's style, so I went with a loop focused approach with keeping the Lillywhite ear candy randomness in mind.

Hi Andrew,
    I have listened to your version of Break For It three times in a row. I agree with everyone about the terrific work you’ve done, but I would like to listen to an higher quality audio file: can you share with us the FLAC of at least a 320kbps MP3? I would like to put this in my regular rotation for October.

Quote:
    All I can say is that I'm blessed to be a part of this community. I love the Ants community so much. Chad, Cotton, Bruce, Copperpot to name a few. This is such a wonderful space for us all to share our love for this amazing band. A band that inspires through music. Music transcends and elicits a response. This is how I respond. Hope you enjoy!
    I love this particular thought and, personally I share the same feeling. There are great people here on Ants (apart from very few), I have enjoyed this community quite a lot recently.

A question: is Copperpot on Ants!?!

Last edited by Xcacel; 09-29-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #33
    CryFreedom17

My Tour Central Stats

Love this song so much. I want to hear it on the new album and Bismarck
    CryFreedom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #34
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, amazing!
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #35
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

This is what I am talking about when I sometimes think fans could produce one of their albums better then them.

Great job. Love the get in line yell. Creative idea.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 06:43 AM   #36
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to this again after I saw the thread was topped and it really is terrific, Andrew. I love what you added; the production is tastefully subtle, and it serves the haunting mood of the song so, so well. Massive high five for your work here, bud!
    Old 10-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #37
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

If they ever put out a studio version (seems iffy?), I am going to measure it against this
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #38
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

finally got around to dl'ing and listening....wow! excellent work Andrew!

this is so bittersweet to listen to. first off, it's sweet hearing what a fuller BFI would sound like. but it's bitter (and stop me if you've heard this before) because of the "what could have been" factor. as is their mo post 2000, the band comes up with a great song, and then does nothing with it. so frustrating. this version proves how even a little studio effort can go such a long way. i particularly love what you did with layered flutes during the "oh you got me" section from 2:30 to 3:00. anyways, all this is to say i really appreciate all the work you out into this because it sounds great.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #39
    jkokoris

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This is fantastic. I too loved this song and loved the DMB Live 25 release. When Batson sessions came out I was so excited but (not to be whiny) that version of the song kind of disappointed me with its flatness. (I know I know it was unfinished.) You really gave it a lot more complexity and a finished sound. The keys and IDK what you'd call it... more atmospheric effects? are really nice. I'm gonna be playing this a lot. I echo the others who would pay to hear a few more of these though I know there may be some ethical and legal issues with that. There is some gold in the Batson sessions. Regardless, thank you for making this. Really really good work. Felt like I was putting on a brand new DMB single -- haven't had that feeling in about 3+ years!
    jkokoris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 07:04 PM   #40
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    This is really amazing.. one of my favorite rarities and been dying to hear a studio version for over a decade.. I think you’ve done as good a job as producer would with this.. thank you.

Side note.. it’s sad that we’ve gotten to this point that we’re relying on fans to make a studio version of a song we all want..

Bismarck next??
    Lol. Seriously sad. Yet here we are.

Track sounds great. Well done.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #41
    Lynchmobb41

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you all for the kind words. From the very first time I heard this song, it gave chills as it had this haunting yet groovy melodic vibe. Simple yet thoughtful. Probably why I'm obsessed with Trouble With You.

I actually started several of these but it becomes a bit difficult to seperate what I think would sound good and what realistic direction the band and producer would take these songs. I try and use (harvest) things the band has done live. For example, the version of Red Glare, I use Butch Taylor's Listener Supported Two Step piano solo. Fits perfectly in the bridge.

I have a lot of work to do but I certainly would love to share another soon. Drive Me Away is pretty close to being complete so I'll most likely work on that next. Probably my favorite off the Batson Sessions. If anyone remembers I shared an awful version of Gas Into Fire I tried to recreate years ago. Lol
    Lynchmobb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #42
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Not a fan of Batson
    Not a fan of this song
    Can’t recall how raw the original was, but this sounds pretty cool
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #43
    snuffles

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Is this available as a download anywhere? Would like to get onto my running playlist.
    snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #44
    Lynchmobb41

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snuffles View Post
    Is this available as a download anywhere? Would like to get onto my running playlist.

Here is a link to the wav.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xig6uwx6sj....5%29.wav?dl=0
    Lynchmobb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #45
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

This fucking rocks, well done.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #46
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words. From the very first time I heard this song, it gave chills as it had this haunting yet groovy melodic vibe. Simple yet thoughtful. Probably why I'm obsessed with Trouble With You.

I actually started several of these but it becomes a bit difficult to seperate what I think would sound good and what realistic direction the band and producer would take these songs. I try and use (harvest) things the band has done live. For example, the version of Red Glare, I use Butch Taylor's Listener Supported Two Step piano solo. Fits perfectly in the bridge.

I have a lot of work to do but I certainly would love to share another soon. Drive Me Away is pretty close to being complete so I'll most likely work on that next. Probably my favorite off the Batson Sessions. If anyone remembers I shared an awful version of Gas Into Fire I tried to recreate years ago. Lol
    Yes please for Drive Me Away next!!
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote