Davetabs.com gone?? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
MIKE5621

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Davetabs.com gone??

I have used Davetabs.com for my dmb guitar tabs ever since dmbtabs stopped updating - the site appears to be gone, wondering if anyone has any insight....
MIKE5621 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
    RolandsThinny
    "Pamcakes!!"

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Davetabs.com gone??

Woah. I literally used that site two days ago. Damn, hopefully it’s just temporary cuz I loved that resource.
    Old 02-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
    maythekarma1

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I used it last night! Devastated if it has gone for good.

Not copyright related surely?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
    wjhende2

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Used it last night as well. Rip to a legend
    wjhende2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
    RolandsThinny
    "Pamcakes!!"

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Let’s hope it’s just temporary.
    Old 02-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Dmbtabs.com Works for me and that’s where I have always gone
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Dmbtabs.com Works for me and that’s where I have always gone
    Workaround https://web.archive.org/web/20190714....davetabs.com/
    Add the song name and .html to the end for different songs, for example...
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190613...ea-of-you.html or “#” use -41 https://web.archive.org/web/20190615...s.com/-41.html
    Save what you like if you don’t want to loose them

Last edited by willndmb; 02-10-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
    MSIMSON

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

If I recall correctly, dmbtabs doesn't have as many songs as davetabs. Hopefully it's temporary, but worst case scenario, I believe I have a download of the HTML files for every song on davetabs. I wrote a script to pull them a few months ago.
    MSIMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #9
    wjhende2

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

It’s baaaaaaaaack
    wjhende2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like most of davetabs was copy and pasted from dmbtabs
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
    Scizzi
    DOWN BY THE BAYOU

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The site owner is looking for donations to keep it running for another year. The only available options are $20, $41 and $91. Sounds like they're trying to profit from these donations because those are huge donation amounts compared to the cost it takes to purchase a domain. Here's what the site says:
    Since the inception of DaveTabs several years ago, we have proudly taken on the costs of running and maintaining the site each year. As these costs continue to perpetuate, this year, we are asking for you to

please consider joining us and contributing to the costs of keeping the site up and running for another year!
    Scizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Site is a sham anyway they just took all the tabs from this site or dmbtabs not sure they came up with a tab on their own
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

DMB Tabs doesnt work either if you actually click on a tab
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
    vilmafan51

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Hey everyone - I'm more than happy to share some additional insight about the site!

First of all, thanks everyone for your genuine interest in the site. Ever since DMBtabs stopped updating/working several years ago, the goal of DaveTabs has simply been to be a central place where we could all have updated/reliable tabs.

Regarding the request for contributions at this time, in complete transparency, I have fully taken on all the costs of running the site since its inception. I have been proud to take on all these costs and the loads of time committed to creating and maintaining the site. Now, its that time of year again for renewal, mainly for hosting and the website builder platform. Unfortunately, the architecture of the site is based on code from about 7 years ago, which is admittedly outdated. As a result, the costs remain relatively high, and the only way to get the costs down would be an entire re-creation the site from the ground up, which is just not feasible for me at this time. And just worth mentioning, there is no profiting from this site. The goal of this request for contributions is simply to help address some of the costs I would otherwise be paying.

Also, as a side note to be clear, many of the tabs on the site were first created by myself or some other members of the community who contributed tabs to the site. This specifically applies to each album since Big Whiskey in 2009.

Again, thanks for all the interest in the site! I hope this provides some helpful information.
    Old 02-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
    Scizzi
    DOWN BY THE BAYOU

My Tour Central Stats

Where are you hosting the site? Wix is very affordable -- you should check it out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vilmafan51 View Post
    Hey everyone - I'm more than happy to share some additional insight about the site!

First of all, thanks everyone for your genuine interest in the site. Ever since DMBtabs stopped updating/working several years ago, the goal of DaveTabs has simply been to be a central place where we could all have updated/reliable tabs.

Regarding the request for contributions at this time, in complete transparency, I have fully taken on all the costs of running the site since its inception. I have been proud to take on all these costs and the loads of time committed to creating and maintaining the site. Now, its that time of year again for renewal, mainly for hosting and the website builder platform. Unfortunately, the architecture of the site is based on code from about 7 years ago, which is admittedly outdated. As a result, the costs remain relatively high, and the only way to get the costs down would be an entire re-creation the site from the ground up, which is just not feasible for me at this time. And just worth mentioning, there is no profiting from this site. The goal of this request for contributions is simply to help address some of the costs I would otherwise be paying.

Also, as a side note to be clear, many of the tabs on the site were first created by myself or some other members of the community who contributed tabs to the site. This specifically applies to each album since Big Whiskey in 2009.

Again, thanks for all the interest in the site! I hope this provides some helpful information.
    Old 02-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
    Gaijin86

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vilmafan51 View Post

Thanks for the update but, if you actually want to be fully transparent, you will need to provide more info. How much do you pay per month for hosting? Per year? How much has been donated?

Crowd-funded campaigns usually highlight this info to provide context and incentivize people to donate. In the world of cloud-computing hosting is quite cheap.
    Old 02-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #17
    Scizzi
    DOWN BY THE BAYOU

My Tour Central Stats

@Gaijin86... Agree. I did a sanity check and Wix is $14.95 a year at most. The minimum donation for DaveTabs was $20... Hmm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gaijin86 View Post
    Thanks for the update but, if you actually want to be fully transparent, you will need to provide more info. How much do you pay per month for hosting? Per year? How much has been donated?

Crowd-funded campaigns usually highlight this info to provide context and incentivize people to donate. In the world of cloud-computing hosting is quite cheap.
    Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #18
    vilmafan51

My Tour Central Stats

Here is some additional context for those who are looking for more information than was provided in the original post. Its first worth reiterating, that for nearly 8 years I created and maintained the site entirely at my own cost. In addition to the great degree of time it takes to do so, the costs have remained significant each year. I was happy to do this simply because there was an apparent need in the community for a site to have updated tabs.

The site has not had its foundation updated since the beginning, so the tools that support the site are somewhat outdated causing the costs to remain high. There are nearly 600 pages on the site and multiple custom scripts. The costs through GoDaddy (where the site is hosted) are around $250-$300 each year. This year for the first time, I decided it would make sense to open it up to those who have felt they've benefited from the site and may be willing to chip in a bit to support it.

If anyone feels that they can create a better site and keep it updated as new songs come out at cheaper cost, I wholeheartedly support you to do so. Otherwise, please use and enjoy the site! Side note, I've been using twitter to provide updates so please check there for any ongoing info.
    Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #19
    Scizzi
    DOWN BY THE BAYOU

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think anyone is doubting that there's a cost here. What is being doubted, and honestly is really sketchy, is that you're asking for donations for $20, $41, and $91, with no idea for anyone to know how much you've raised. What if you get $100 people to donate $41? That's WAY more than you need, which then makes it look like you're profiting here. That's all. More transparency is all people are looking for. Perhaps a GoFundMe would be a better bet.
    Old 02-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #20
    vilmafan51

My Tour Central Stats

A heads up that the amounts on the funding page are actually $18, $27, and $41. I can assure you there is not much interest in any $91 donations. There is no profiting here (only a loss each of the previous years) - those who have used the site and have been part of the community since the beginning are well aware that this site is and has always been a service for the community, nothing more. Perhaps some of the additional transparency you are looking for is on the twitter feed, which has been used to provide ongoing updates about how close to the cost goal we are. Though perhaps short of a gofundme page (sorry if you prefer that platform), the full relevant information has been provided, such as total costs, reasons for the costs, and platforms used. Please remember, this is a free community site that took a lot of personal money and time to create and maintain, so there really is no need for a budgetary thesis. Once the costs for 2020 have been reached (as explained in posts above), the contribution effort will close and the site will be freely available for the rest of the year.
    Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #21
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

id be into donating a few bucks if there was a "pick your own amount" option. and i think a bunch of people would be willing to do that as well. donations starting at $20 is kind of a no go for a lot of people, myself included.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #22
    vilmafan51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    id be into donating a few bucks if there was a "pick your own amount" option. and i think a bunch of people would be willing to do that as well. donations starting at $20 is kind of a no go for a lot of people, myself included.
    Appreciate the feedback - Amounts have been updated to $9, $18, and $27! Note that specific amounts are actually required to be set based on the godaddy/paypal setup. If I could set it up to allow users to specify their own amount I most certainly would, but making due with what GoDaddy allows (without custom coding).
    Old 03-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #23
    SPAC_Boy

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

How the hell is this guy running the tabs behind a paywall. You could literally just zip file them on a google drive..if you really cared about being open to the community
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #24
    maythekarma1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPAC_Boy View Post
    How the hell is this guy running the tabs behind a paywall. You could literally just zip file them on a google drive..if you really cared about being open to the community
    Especially given most were ripped off from Dmbtabs as well. Some even have the same notes and instructions.
    Old 03-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I used the site a lot when I was learning the catalog. It had a decent interface and the post-dmbtabs stuff was usually pretty good.

But I just don’t know if there’s enough demand and willingness to pay for these, and while I appreciate the dedication to keeping a dedicated site going, I’m just not sure it’ll be successful or if it is even necessary. Like was said above, a zip doc on a Google drive would serve the same purpose.

I certainly don’t think a patreon subscription model is realistic - but best wishes to Vilmafan for the efforts and thanks for the years of hosting the site, hope it works out!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #26
    firedancer34

My Tour Central Stats

its a site that posts up txt tab files. now he wants monthly subscribers.

ultimate-guitar.com it is then.
    Old 03-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #27
    maythekarma1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    its a site that posts up txt tab files. now he wants monthly subscribers.

ultimate-guitar.com it is then.
    Text files he largely stole from the FREE dmbtabs.com
    Old 03-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

well, dmbtabs is a shell you can look at but not access the content of at this point. I get what he's wanting to do, but it's something that could easily be folded into the almanac for instance and be just as effective

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #29
    firedancer34

My Tour Central Stats

all a dedicated tab site needs to be is a list of songs alphabetically, click the song, links to the tab, have a back button on the tab page. this isnt complex stuff.

this has been shady from day one.
    Old 03-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #30
    whiskers11

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

If I was to consolidate the tabs into a folder on Google Drive, is that something that people would be interested in? I don't think it would be that much work or take too much time.
    whiskers11 is offline   Reply With Quote