In need of some golf tips... - Page 148 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #4411
lockman21
Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: In need of some golf tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Just spent 2 hours at our PXG store getting fitted for their new forged / no-screws 0211 ST irons. Guy was great, was the last appoint of the day so I got an extra hour. My first ever fitting. Their standard Mitsubishi MMT graphite 70 g shafts 1/2 inch long (my arms are apparently short), bent 2 degrees strong, tipped, no lie adj, Golf Pride CP2 wrap grips. Sale going on, $129 instead of $199 /iron. 4-G $1,100 plus $100 tax, avoided $60 shipping as they'll ship free to the store, expedited, so $1,200 out the door.

Playing in my buddy's member/guest in Tallahassee in 3 weeks.
Love this. You're going to enjoy hitting those way better than your off-the-rack irons.

I just got my custom Mizuno JPX 921 Tours. Absolutely gorgeous and feel SO good. KBS Tour X-stiff shaft. Bent 1 degree weaker (lofts were a bit strong for my swing speed), 2 degree lie adjustment, D3 swing weight, Golf Pride MCC grips.

We took some loft off the clubs, added weight and I was still hitting the ball further than my old irons. Old 6 iron was 190-195, now it's closer to 205 and much better ball flight.

Club Champion also bent my 52 and 56 degree Vokey SM6s to 50-54.

I was gaming these - https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-r...view-3368.aspx

With a stiff shaft and the distance gap between my PW and GW going from a 45 degree PW to a 52 degree GW was insane. When Club Champion took specs of my clubs, they noticed the Mizuno was not 45 degrees as listed, but actually 44. And my GW was actually 52.75, so I was almost 9 degrees different between the two clubs. Which would explain why my PW was 140-145 (150 if I really went after it) and GW was 105-110. Just way too big of a yardage gap. New PW is 46 and now GW was bent down to 50. So much more manageable.

Last edited by lockman21; 04-13-2021 at 01:41 PM.
lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #4412
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20 View Post
    Is it me or do Dick's/GG not send out coupons anymore. I use to always have some kind of coupon to both stores so if I saw a polo or something like that I could use it and not pay full price. I get the mailings from them but they no longer include any coupons.
    get on the dicks sporting goods live chat and say you're a loyal customer and ask if they might grant you a one-time discount code for something. it has worked for me the last 3 times I've tried. you can also always get $20 off off $100 anytime you want by opting into text messages.

I recently saved $40 on a pair of ultraboosts because of this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #4413
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

These were the Trackman results of the two compared:

https://imgur.com/a/505pmHJ

Red and blue are new 6 iron. Purple is old 6 iron. Misses have been so much better, too.
    Old 04-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #4414
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else on here use The Grint? PM me for my WHS if you want to follow each other.
    Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #4415
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I'm a Bonobos polo guy. Love their stuff. Haven't tried Holderness and Bourne.
    Does Bonobos still have that weird back panel construction? I bought bunch of stuff when they changed from Maide to Bonobos Golf, and that always bugged me. Don’t think Rose’s stuff has it, but I doubt he’s wearing off the rack stuff. Really like their shorts and pants. Have Maide pants that have probably been worn 200 times and still look brand new.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #4416
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    These were the Trackman results of the two compared:

https://imgur.com/a/505pmHJ

Red and blue are new 6 iron. Purple is old 6 iron. Misses have been so much better, too.
    Not shitting on Club Champion. Genuinely curious about this because I’m getting new irons next year and we have similar club speeds.

Did they talk about spin rate and descent angle. Spin seems a little low and descent is pretty shallow.

Mizuno doesn’t really have juiced lofts, so I’m assuming that is an honest 6 iron not some game improvement 6 iron that is really a 4 iron.
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #4417
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    get on the dicks sporting goods live chat and say you're a loyal customer and ask if they might grant you a one-time discount code for something. it has worked for me the last 3 times I've tried. you can also always get $20 off off $100 anytime you want by opting into text messages.

I recently saved $40 on a pair of ultraboosts because of this.
    I tried this last night and the best they were willing to do was give me 10% off my order. The text message thing would get me a better savings than that. Nothing is a necessity so I will wait to see if prices go down. If it sells out, oh well.
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #4418
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Are they doing the price match still? You can almost always find something cheaper elsewhere?
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #4419
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Been hitting at the range so much these days. My main issue on my golf swing is rotating my hips properly every time. If I don’t, that will result in a slice. If I do the ball is going straight and far.
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #4420
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Are they doing the price match still? You can almost always find something cheaper elsewhere?
    If I could find it cheaper I would buy it there. Dicks was always the cheapest with the coupons.
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #4421
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Last two weekends:

55/40
    52/41

Okay then
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #4422
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Went to the range last night with my son. I actually hit it really well. I think playing less has been a good thing. Less scar tissue getting in the way. Lesson at 1:00 today.

Funny story. We went to a public range yesterday and my son was in regular clothes. We didn't bring our bags, just a few clubs. It was really crowded so I told my son (who is a +1.5 handicap) to pretend he never hit a ball before. He hit a few balls with his hands cross handed so I stopped him and loudly showed him how to grip correctly and guided him through a proper swing. He then rips one that probably carried 275. You should have seen the look on the faces of the people that were right next to us. I played it off and said "WOW! That was amazing! Do that again." Which of course he did. After a few they caught on to things and got a laugh out of it. The guy next to us turned out to be a really nice guy and was talking to my son for a bit about all the events he plays in and such.
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #4423
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Went to the range last night with my son. I actually hit it really well. I think playing less has been a good thing. Less scar tissue getting in the way. Lesson at 1:00 today.

Funny story. We went to a public range yesterday and my son was in regular clothes. We didn't bring our bags, just a few clubs. It was really crowded so I told my son (who is a +1.5 handicap) to pretend he never hit a ball before. He hit a few balls with his hands cross handed so I stopped him and loudly showed him how to grip correctly and guided him through a proper swing. He then rips one that probably carried 275. You should have seen the look on the faces of the people that were right next to us. I played it off and said "WOW! That was amazing! Do that again." Which of course he did. After a few they caught on to things and got a laugh out of it. The guy next to us turned out to be a really nice guy and was talking to my son for a bit about all the events he plays in and such.

love it
    Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #4424
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Gettin' excited to get back at it Friday morning....even with the forecast of 9oC/48oF. #hoodieszn
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #4425
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Last two weekends:

55/40
    52/41

Okay then
    The last time I played 18 we had a 2.5 hour frost delay. I opened up triple, triple, double (bounced first tee shot off a car 70 yards left of my target) , quad, par, par, par, par, par on the front. The dumbest game.
    Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #4426
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The last time I played 18 we had a 2.5 hour frost delay. I opened up triple, triple, double (bounced first tee shot off a car 70 yards left of my target) , quad, par, par, par, par, par on the front. The dumbest game.

Haha for sure, I'm doing really well on each individual part of hitting the ball but have gotten caught between techniques the last two rounds on the front 9. I'm practicing this week and next on a three hole practice par 3 I can go to for free and get a little more into the flow of going from one thing to another.
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #4427
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Had my lesson. Path is no longer an issue. That was my main issue when I saw him 2 seasons ago. I just need to stand taller on my irons, especially on the downswing and keep my lower body quiet with my driver. I tend to sway instead of turn with my driver and 3 wood.
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #4428
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha for sure, I'm doing really well on each individual part of hitting the ball but have gotten caught between techniques the last two rounds on the front 9. I'm practicing this week and next on a three hole practice par 3 I can go to for free and get a little more into the flow of going from one thing to another.
    I’m too old and stiff to worry about scoring until it gets warm. Frost delays, slow play, bad night sleep just kill me in the cold.

Last Friday was 75 when I hit my first tee shot. Played great. Supposed to be 56 this Friday. Might just skip it.

The guy I’m taking lessons from is meh. We’re mainly working on putting and chopping because he knows more than me there and then I’ll bang balls for a few minutes on Trackman. He occasionally says “don’t close the face”’. Tons of help.
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #4429
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I’m too old and stiff to worry about scoring until it gets warm. Frost delays, slow play, bad night sleep just kill me in the cold.

Last Friday was 75 when I hit my first tee shot. Played great. Supposed to be 56 this Friday. Might just skip it.

The guy I’m taking lessons from is meh. We’re mainly working on putting and chopping because he knows more than me there and then I’ll bang balls for a few minutes on Trackman. He occasionally says “don’t close the face”’. Tons of help.

Personally I'd stop going, I only practice if it's going to be quality, especially if I'm paying for it
    Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #4430
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does Bonobos still have that weird back panel construction? I bought bunch of stuff when they changed from Maide to Bonobos Golf, and that always bugged me. Don’t think Rose’s stuff has it, but I doubt he’s wearing off the rack stuff. Really like their shorts and pants. Have Maide pants that have probably been worn 200 times and still look brand new.
    Nope, they ditched that. It never bothered me as much as some, but totally understand not liking it. The new ones, "The Performance Polo", are my favorites. The old ones were called "M-flex polo", which had those back panels.

Their Highland Tour shorts are by far my favorite golf shorts. Really perfect. I only have one pair of the pants, but love those too. I'm mostly a Lululemon ABC slim pant guy.
    Old 04-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #4431
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not shitting on Club Champion. Genuinely curious about this because I’m getting new irons next year and we have similar club speeds.

Did they talk about spin rate and descent angle. Spin seems a little low and descent is pretty shallow.

Mizuno doesn’t really have juiced lofts, so I’m assuming that is an honest 6 iron not some game improvement 6 iron that is really a 4 iron.
    It's a 29 degree loft on that 6 iron. So maybe 1 degree strong.

We did talk spin rate and descent angle. One thing to remember when hitting off mats is your spin rate will be a bit lower for irons than it will be off grass.

Second, and I even talked to my swing coach about this, the most important thing we wanted to work on with my irons was shot dispersion, both in length and accuracy. So finding the right club, shaft, flex, weight, length of shaft and lie angle of the club was way more important than worrying about the spin rate or descent angle. If I wanted to hit a 6 iron higher to land softer, I'd just hit it higher. So this was more about finding a comfortable repeatable swing that I could hit 100 balls with and just try to calibrate off that as opposed to worrying too much about spin and descent angle for fitting purposes.

My old irons had high launch, high spin stiff shafts more targeted at a mid-high handicapper just to help them get the ball in the air. At my handicap/swing speed, that resulted in an "above average" number of shots ballooning the fuck up anytime I was hitting a bit into the wind.

Lastly, I needed to fix the gaps between distances in my irons/wedges to find more appropriate distance control. The Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 2016 clubs I was hitting was a bit of a hybrid between game improvement and player's irons. And to your point, I hate hate hate "jacked up" iron lofts, and those were a bit of a tweener for lofts. I previously had a set of TaylorMade irons for a season that I nearly threw in the trash I hated them so much. The JPX EZs were a step in the right direction vs. the TM irons, but I needed to tighten it even more as my handicap is approaching more of a 3-4 now. I hit my 3 hybrid 235-240 and my 3 wood 265-270 on good, solid 80% swings, so it's really only to my detriment to be hitting a 4 iron 240 yards with jacked up lofts. 215-220 is really where I want a 4.
    Old 04-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #4432
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Last two weekends:

55/40
    52/41

Okay then
    It's a dumb, dumb game sometimes.

My favorite story like that came from my father. He was a 2 handicap at the time, and pretty consistently shooting 70-74 at his home course. Shot 46 on the front and said he was close to walking off the course at the turn it was so bad. Could have easily been 50+. but made a few miraculous putts to keep it sub-50.

Made another bogey on 10 so he was +11 through 10. Then made EIGHT STRAIGHT BIRDIES to finish that 9 Said he lipped out a 10 foot eagle putt on 18 that left him with a knee knocker 6 footer to stay "par free" on the back. Dude posts the weirdest 75 I've ever heard of.

Like, what in the fuck?

Quote:

Time to find a new coach. That sounds like a waste of time and money.
    Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #4433
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Got fit into the TSi2 with an extra stiff shaft today and bought it on the spot. About 2000-2200 spin rate with a 115 club head speed. I was flying balls 280-290 consistently. Can’t wait to start hitting more fairways (god willing)
    Old 04-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #4434
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

So my son came in second place in a tournament today. The kid that beat him is a year younger than him and is very similar in ability aside from the fact that my son is a lot longer than him. The boy shot 62! 62! I couldn't believe it. He set the course record. The previous record was a 63 in 1949 by Sam Snead. How cool is that!
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #4435
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Got fit into the TSi2 with an extra stiff shaft today and bought it on the spot. About 2000-2200 spin rate with a 115 club head speed. I was flying balls 280-290 consistently. Can’t wait to start hitting more fairways (god willing)
    My TSi4 arrives this week. I can't wait to get out on the range with it the day it is delivered.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #4436
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    My TSi4 arrives this week. I can't wait to get out on the range with it the day it is delivered.
    Nice dude! Bombs away!
    Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #4437
    MiniFlynny34

Shows Seen: 67

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So my son came in second place in a tournament today. The kid that beat him is a year younger than him and is very similar in ability aside from the fact that my son is a lot longer than him. The boy shot 62! 62! I couldn't believe it. He set the course record. The previous record was a 63 in 1949 by Sam Snead. How cool is that!
    62? Jesus. Tough to beat that. Nice job by your son though.
    Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #4438
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I missed this from a few days ago. Holy shit, a 62 is just on another level.
    Old 04-20-2021, 06:11 AM   #4439
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Playing golf eh? Must be nice. It's been shut down here by our dumb fucking gov't for the foreseeable future. It's the only province/state in North America where it's currently banned. The order came down about 4 hours after we got off the course last Friday. To say the populous is angry would be an understatement.

(The intent is certainly not to devolve into a political/covid discussion because there are places for that but damn, I'm livid about the decision).

Noles, props to the kiddo - that is amazing!
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #4440
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    Playing golf eh? Must be nice. It's been shut down here by our dumb fucking gov't for the foreseeable future. It's the only province/state in North America where it's currently banned. The order came down about 4 hours after we got off the course last Friday. To say the populous is angry would be an understatement.

(The intent is certainly not to devolve into a political/covid discussion because there are places for that but damn, I'm livid about the decision).

Noles, props to the kiddo - that is amazing!
    Banning golf is seriously so fucking dumb, especially at this stage when we know for a fact that there is a basically zero chance you will transmit COVID outdoors. I definitely feel for you and hope things get back to normal sooner rather than later