Official Grateful Dead Thread - Page 183 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #5461
crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Grateful Dead Thread

Just a couple other brief comments. Nershi is def older than Trey, so the SCI as a Phish follow up is not likely. John Bell probably also older than Trey.

Personally I still think the most exciting/most potential of the young jam band acts is still Twiddle (*ducks to avoid projectiles thrown in my direction via angry crowd*), although I admit their most recent sound/song trend has not been ideal. Goose is good although I feel something is missing for me with them, seems like they just don’t have a great depth of diversity in their catalogue, I just have had trouble getting into them not sure why. Stafford, I for some reason have never put the effort into familiarizing myself appropriately with, that’s probably on me, but my jam band loving friends do rave about them. Billy Strings is a sicko freak of nature and I love, but I just think there’s no way the bluegrass jam style makes it “pseudo main stream” enough to ever reach the arena size of Phish.

If I were a betting man (which I am), I would say Goose fairly soon reaches UM peak levels, none of the other up and comers ever reach that level, and the “next big jam band”/ Phish predecessor hasn’t even been mentioned in this thread yet as we don’t know about them at this time.
crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #5462
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Trey will play with TAB forever, phish will go as far as Page and Fish can I’d imagine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 07:00 AM   #5463
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Trey will play until he dies. He'll be like Willie Nelson.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #5464
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Just a couple other brief comments. Nershi is def older than Trey, so the SCI as a Phish follow up is not likely. John Bell probably also older than Trey.

Personally I still think the most exciting/most potential of the young jam band acts is still Twiddle (*ducks to avoid projectiles thrown in my direction via angry crowd*), although I admit their most recent sound/song trend has not been ideal. Goose is good although I feel something is missing for me with them, seems like they just don’t have a great depth of diversity in their catalogue, I just have had trouble getting into them not sure why. Stafford, I for some reason have never put the effort into familiarizing myself appropriately with, that’s probably on me, but my jam band loving friends do rave about them. Billy Strings is a sicko freak of nature and I love, but I just think there’s no way the bluegrass jam style makes it “pseudo main stream” enough to ever reach the arena size of Phish.

If I were a betting man (which I am), I would say Goose fairly soon reaches UM peak levels, none of the other up and comers ever reach that level, and the “next big jam band”/ Phish predecessor hasn’t even been mentioned in this thread yet as we don’t know about them at this time.
    So, even though I just posted this about Goose, in anticipation of them being on the bill for an upcoming festival I will be attending ( goddamn it feels so good to be able to say that again by the way), I have decided to approach Goose like I initially did for Phish. That is to say, and I know many would say this is an outside the box approach to getting into a jam band, but starting with getting an understanding of their studio work to familiarize myself with their catalog, and then will later dive more in to the live stuf. The idea being that if you know the basic studio stuff you actually could have a greater appreciation for the differences between studio and live and how the songs come off live including the improvisation. This really worked for me when I was first getting into Phish a long long time ago, and I still contend that it is the “best way“, at least in my opinion, to get into a new jam band. Will let you guys know how it turns out, as I know the antsmarching forum in particular tends to be loaded with big Goose fans.
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #5465
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

I mean thats not really an approach you can take with goose. They have one album, Moon Cabin from a few years ago that isnt the same band members and Night Lights which is just 5 songs (but is awesome). Youve gotta listen to live shows if you want to understand the majority of their catalog.

Alive and Well is a great introduction to them, along with the 2019 peach fest set on YT

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 03-04-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #5466
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

For Goose, from songs/albums available on most streaming platforms (Apple Music, Tidal, and I think Spotify), I’d recommend:

Hot Tea - Bingo Tour
    All I Need - Bingo Tour
    Atlas (Wood Brothers) - 2019.11.16, Buffalo, NY
    Arcadia - Alive and Well
    Tumble - Alive and Well

Then get on Bandcamp and check out the catalog that’s available there. Personal, recent favorites:

Madhuvan - 12/20/20, Goosemas
    Turned Clouds - 12/20/20, Goosemas
    Earthling or Alien - 11/6/20, Morris, CT
    Ghostbuster Rap (Run DMC) - 11/6/20, Morris, CT
    The Killing Moon (Echo & the Bunnymen) - 11/7/20, Morris, CT
    Seekers on the Ridge - 11/7/20, Morris, CT
    Weird Fishes (Radiohead) - 4/26/20 [Acoustic]

Last edited by BTBaboon; 03-04-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #5467
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I mean thats not really an approach you can take with goose. They have one album, Moon Cabin from a few years ago that isnt the same band members and Night Lights which is just 5 songs (but is awesome). Youve gotta listen to live shows if you want to understand the majority of their catalog.

Alive and Well is a great introduction to them, along with the 2019 peach fest set on YT
    Well nevermind then! Guess i will listen to Moon Cabin and Night Lights then will dive right into the live stuff since that’s all there is haha
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #5468
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I have no idea what you all are talking about. Like the mushrooms kicked in.

What is goose and is this still the Grateful Dead thread?

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #5469
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    I have no idea what you all are talking about. Like the mushrooms kicked in.

What is goose and is this still the Grateful Dead thread?
    It’s a great feeling when they kick in, though!

Goose is a jam band based out of CT. They are excellent and you should definitely check them out!

This is still the Dead Thread For Dead Heads
    Old 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #5470
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

The goose thread is topped pretty often, not sure if climb and crush never noticed it. They’ve grown in popularity immensely since that 19 peach fest set, and definitely have a wider appeal than any other of the up and coming jam bands.

It’s all pretty wild for a band that only has something like 48 originals

Quote:
    Old 03-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #5471
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

They look interesting, will keep an eye out.

I need to go got more festivals. Maybe they hey are just off my radar but we don’t seem to have a too many out here. I have been to the ride festival.

Last edited by Climb2safety; 03-04-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #5472
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The goose thread is topped pretty often, not sure if climb and crush never noticed it. They’ve grown in popularity immensely since that 19 peach fest set, and definitely have a wider appeal than any other of the up and coming jam bands.

It’s all pretty wild for a band that only has something like 48 originals
    For only two studio albums that's a lot.
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #5473
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    For only two studio albums that's a lot.
    They’re working on an album now. It’s definitely out of whack, just seems like how things fell out from interviews I heard. Peter joined December of 17 and they just played a bunch of shows and worked on new songs but never recorded until that 5 song EP from last year and whatever they’re working on now.

I just mean for how big they’ve gotten they don’t have a ton of songs, or albums obviously. Rick started the band in some form back in ‘12 apparently.

Quote:
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #5474
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They’re working on an album now. It’s definitely out of whack, just seems like how things fell out from interviews I heard. Peter joined December of 17 and they just played a bunch of shows and worked on new songs but never recorded until that 5 song EP from last year and whatever they’re working on now.

I just mean for how big they’ve gotten they don’t have a ton of songs, or albums obviously. Rick started the band in some form back in ‘12 apparently.
    I wonder on some level whether or not a live/jam band really needs studio albums anymore. Just have road tested songs and releases comps and full shows to the streaming services. They’re not going to get radio play, and if they don’t have a ton of interest being in the studio, why waste the money? Just invest it into the live act and recordings. These days you can reach SO many with streaming and promote tracks via algorithms instead of pushing actual singles
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #5475
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I think most of today’s jam bands ride on the same formula. High and lows built into an 8 minute tune..whereas the older bands built their highs and lows into a 3 hour set. If that makes any sense.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:48 AM   #5476
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    I think most of today’s jam bands ride on the same formula. High and lows built into an 8 minute tune..whereas the older bands built their highs and lows into a 3 hour set. If that makes any sense.
    I get what you are trying to say, I think. I wonder who you are specifically speaking about when you say today’s jam bands? You mean the young up and comers (Goose, Spafford, Twiddle, etc)? Or like the post-GD but now getting older acts (Phish, SCI, moe., Umphreys)?

Personally I think there’s certainly something to both intrasong and intraset “highs and lows”. I would contend that there’s probably more talent, well talents probably not the correct word, let’s say improvisational skill in the former. I think earlier GD were excellent at this, like listen to a good mid 70s Playing In the Band. These were often a roller coaster of musical emotions. I do think later on in the GDs career there was a bit of a shift, perhaps volitionally as their group skills were less sharp, in which they needed to use song changes to accomplish that same purpose. I actually think that seems pretty common with jam bands, when they are off they use song changes/set lists to accomplish what they otherwise can accomplish when truly improving. It’s also common for the jam bands with what I would say less full band improvisational talent to use the set lists in that manner (moe comes to mind who i love and have been a favorite of mine for many years, but most of their “ups and downs” as you put it, come from song changes, segues, etc because they don’t really have that full band improv ability of like Phish, early GD, Cheese, etc).

Last edited by crush_me_16125; 03-05-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #5477
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    I agree with this. They all sorta sound the same. Either they fall into the Twiddle sound, with more folksy, jam-grass sound, or something like PPPP, silly, upbeat electric.

Goose sorta falls more into the PPPP but they're unique enough that it's not just more noodling and silly songs.
    Old 03-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #5478
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I agree with this. They all sorta sound the same. Either they fall into the Twiddle sound, with more folksy, jam-grass sound, or something like PPPP, silly, upbeat electric.

Goose sorta falls more into the PPPP but they're unique enough that it's not just more noodling and silly songs.

I think many of the “8min song jam bands” aren’t really jam bands, per se. They are kinda fringe jam with their own baseline genres, but they are more like bands with longer songs that can solo well, as opposed to full on improvisational jam bands. I think many bands, some of which I really like a lot, would fall into this category for example PPPP (jammy but more funk band really), The Main Squeeze (funk and soul), Dopapod (rock) hell even a band like Soulive (jazz funk). They kinda by default get dropped into the jam band genre cause they play longer songs and also often show up on jam band heavy fests. But they aren’t really classic “jam bands” at least in the way I view that genre.

Back when I was listening to a fair amount of Twiddle I actually thought they had pretty impressive full band improvisation and, although perhaps a different sound ,folksy maybe as you said, then some of their predecessors that they were definitely a jam band. It’s admittedly been a couple of years since I listened to them in any depth at all though, so that may have changed. And many of their “popular songs” first hits on YouTube or various streaming services, didn’t fit the jam band bill very well so if only browsing them I could see how that would be missed. Or their sound/style is just changing, like I mentioned the little I have listened to lately I haven’t loved their sound trend.
    Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #5479
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Twiddle is okayest jam band. not great, not bad, just consistently pretty good. the drummer sometimes picks up the tempo and slows down the tempo for no reason and the rest of the band sounds like they are trying to catch up or slow down. loved shooting their GD set at catskill chill. to bring us back to GD...
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #5480
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Listened to Moon Cabin several times through, thought it was ok. Listened to that Night Lights EP a couple times and was not a fan (Time to Flee is just terrible on the album, sounds like some Vulfpeck garbage). Was starting to get a bit disheartened....BUT THEN.... I put on Ted Tapes.

IN.

Will direct further Goose discussion to the official Goose thread moving forward.
    Old 04-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #5481
    dmbfd15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Opened the most recent, tie dye reissue of American Beauty. An album that I have heard more times in the past than any other studio album that I own. But hearing on vinyl for the first time, I’m not sure there is a better transition from song to song on record as there is in Ripple>Brokedown Palace. Unbelievable.

Last edited by dmbfd15; 04-17-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #5482
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

18th birthday present for my son.

I mentioned I got this in February but it’s finally framed and up.

Edit: I don’t understand this site. I tried three times to get it the right way in the picture. Ug.

Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 2A0BC1F1-E555-49F1-81AA-9C7E335B6FCD.jpg (78.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Climb2safety; 04-18-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    Old 05-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #5483
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Mayer just posted on IG, looks like 2021 D&Co dates coming

Quote:
    Old 05-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #5484
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding

Shows Seen: 180

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mayer just posted on IG, looks like 2021 D&Co dates coming
    Hopefully dropping tomorrow?
    firedncr4136 #40
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2021, 06:14 AM   #5485
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
    Hopefully dropping tomorrow?
    In 2020 Mayer teased on Feb. 5 and schedule dropped on 6. I expect by 1 CST today we'll have dates.
    Old 05-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #5486
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Yea I think its coming today. Been seeing others saying the same.

Im thinking maybe its a fall tour?

Quote:
    Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #5487
    dmbfd15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody listened to Dave’s Picks Vol 38? Have it sitting on my desk but hadn’t had a chance to listen yet
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #5488
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea I think its coming today. Been seeing others saying the same.

Im thinking maybe its a fall tour?
    there are some "leaked" potential dates floating around out there. starting mid-august running through fall.
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #5489
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twz22 View Post
    there are some "leaked" potential dates floating around out there. starting mid-august running through fall.
    Yea I saw that. Lots of Monday and Tuesday’s on that list so wasn’t really buying it much.

Quote:
    Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #5490
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

My one prayer from that leaked schedule is Jazz Fest on 10/9 is correct.