Should seniority have anything to do with whether you get tickets or not? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Title
A. Yes 119 78.29%
B. No 33 21.71%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Should seniority have anything to do with whether you get tickets or not?

A. Yes. If you've been the Warehouse longer, you should have a better chance of being confirmed for tickets; shorter time, lesser chance.

B. No. Doesn't matter if you're a Day 1 or joined yesterday. Everyone has the same chance of getting confirmed.
eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Should seniority have anything to do with whether you get tickets or not?

Yes, 1998 members should have first priority. Why the hell shouldn’t they.

In reality it doesn’t matter when you joined.
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    A. Yes. If you've been the Warehouse longer, you should have a better chance of being confirmed for tickets; shorter time, lesser chance.

B. No. Doesn't matter if you're a Day 1 or joined yesterday. Everyone has the same chance of getting confirmed.
    I'm not even close to a day 1 member and I believe seniority should play a part, but the WH should be transparent about it and clearly advise us when it does and doesn't.

I did recently read about a fan club that allows access to purchase tickets in advance of the public sale to all members but senior members get access first. Almost like a running clock style where at 10 am the oldest members go and have first dibs, and then at 10:30 am the next level of members go and have second dibs, and so on.

I like the idea of a countdown style method. For dmb, a method like this could be utilized on one night of a two night stand. The second night would utilize the same method but each time of access to tickets would be randomized so even new members have access at 10 am.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 02-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
    socccerr8

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Yes.. In most situations in life seniority comes with all the perks of having preference and better opportunities than those less off. That should be the same with the DMB Warehouse but it seems not. If you put in the investment with regards to time and financially with this band you should have better access to better tickets. Ive personally been a 10 year member of the warehouse, and the last few years have either gotten denied or been bumped to lawn seats. I think its all a crapshoot which shouldn't be. Ive gotten SPAC first row Pavillions then the next year gotten denied, like I said its all a crapshoot. Gotta hustle and grind to get the tickets you want though is my only advice.
    socccerr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think this question needs more options. I don't think seniority should play a role in IF you get tickets or not. Everyone should get thrown into the pot together. Everyone deserves a fair shake to get approved, why would anyone new ever join if it wasn't that way? However, once you get approved, yes, it should be based on seniority or at least influenced by it. If it is a multiple night stay I can see where N1 is random and N2 is seniority, I can live with that.

I'm an 01 member so I am not even that cool but I've been paying them money for 19 years now. I feel like a little appreciation should be shown for the dedication.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    I think this question needs more options. I don't think seniority should play a role in IF you get tickets or not. Everyone should get thrown into the pot together. Everyone deserves a fair shake to get approved, why would anyone new ever join if it wasn't that way? However, once you get approved, yes, it should be based on seniority or at least influenced by it. If it is a multiple night stay I can see where N1 is random and N2 is seniority, I can live with that.

I'm an 01 member so I am not even that cool but I've been paying them money for 19 years now. I feel like a little appreciation should be shown for the dedication.
    A WH member only D&T show where seniority rules wouldn't hurt. Not sure why this has not bee done yet. Worst case scenario, if WH members do not buy all the tickets, they can open it up to the public.
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I'm not even close to a day 1 member and I believe seniority should play a part, but the WH should be transparent about it and clearly advise us when it does and doesn't.
    I definitely agree with this. It's so random how it works over there sometimes.

I'm sure most people will vote Yes in this poll but I guess I can understand the other side of the coin. If seniority matters, why would any new members be inclined to join? And that's probably why the WH doesn't want to have seniority matter so they can sell more memberships.

However, at this point in the band's career, you're probably not going to be getting a whole lot of new fans (Dave obviously gives no fucks about bringing any new fans into the band). So, why not just try to keep the fans (the ones that have been there the longest) that you've already got? I would love to see the stats on WH memberships the last 10 years; I would have to think there has been a significant drop in memberships the last decade.
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Not if youre confirmed but I think older members should get a higher chance of getting lowers/pit than younger members once confirmations are in order.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

I know it would be supporting ticketmaster, but would anyone be opposed to having the WH generate presale codes for its members to enter into ticketmaster so that instead of the WH choosing seats for us, we get to choose them ourselves? It'd be pretty easy to implement seniority this way. Certain codes unlock certain seats (obviously correlated with seniority).

Last edited by Cscottrun; 02-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
    RiotAct

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Nope8888

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know it would be supporting ticketmaster, but would anyone be opposed to having the WH generate presale codes for its members to enter into ticketmaster so that instead of the WH choosing seats for us, we get to choose them ourselves? It'd be pretty easy to implement seniority this way. Certain codes unlock certain seats (obviously correlated with seniority).
    I think they discussed this in the 2019 Confirmations thread. I definitely support this! I thought it'd be cool if they just sent the codes to people who got denied (but I'm not sure how that'd work logistically).

But even if it was just open to all WH members a day before the Citi presale and a day after confirmations get posted, that would also be really cool. Just give at least one more chance for WH members to get a shot at tickets.
    Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Getting tickets - no.

Where your seats are located - absofuckinglutely.

Also like the idea of a TM presale.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A WH member only D&T show where seniority rules wouldn't hurt. Not sure why this has not bee done yet. Worst case scenario, if WH members do not buy all the tickets, they can open it up to the public.
    The closest thing to this was the 2005 Red Rocks show where #4 was added last minute and it was mainly just WH tickets.

Honestly though, it amazes me this has never been done. Want to make an ass load of money? Find a unique venue (like Red Rocks) because it is in the middle of the country. Sell exclusively to your hardcore fan base. Then sell a baller package with a Blu Ray and actually do a rare setlist. Everyone would buy all of it.

Quote:
    Interesting idea. I can also see if where like 98 members can log in at 10AM. 99 at 10:05. 200 10:10. Etc. My only concern is I zero percent trust Ticketmaster and I can also see scalpers trying to find ways to by pass this. As much as I don't love the way WH has distributed tickets to me at times at least I know they aren't actively trying to screw me... just passively.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

I would be curious to hear from some of the "No" votes. Do you have an active WH account? If so, what year? Why do you not want seniority to come into play?
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Should be equal chance of getting tickets, seniority given to seat location
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #16
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd probably prefer this to the current model
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Not if youre confirmed but I think older members should get a higher chance of getting lowers/pit than younger members once confirmations are in order.
    This. Getting tickets should be random. But once confirmed all ticketing should be seniority based. If new members couldn't even get confirmed they wouldn't get any new members. No one is paying $35 just for a digital download of 7 songs and 5% off from the store.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would be curious to hear from some of the "No" votes. Do you have an active WH account? If so, what year? Why do you not want seniority to come into play?
    12/98 member, voted No, as they've got to be able to bring on new members; it's a business. But I think they "massage" the confirmation process (why it takes 2 weeks) by giving new members a better chance at Pit and $115 Reserves over older members; that process should stop. All the new pricing tiers over the years allows them to do that. If confirmed, a 12/98 member should be getting Pit or $115 Reserves; fine with "Random" night at multi-night stops.
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd be all for this. I think limiting the number of shows each member can use their seniority code for would be needed. Maybe 3 shows a tour or something.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #21
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I voted no. I'm an active 2010 member. I'm all for senior accounts getting the best seats, but if they are the only ones getting seats than there is no incentive to join now.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I'd be all for this. I think limiting the number of shows each member can use their seniority code for would be needed. Maybe 3 shows a tour or something.
    The way I thought about it was that if you are "confirmed" by the WH, they issue you a separate unique code for each show you are confirmed for that can only be used once and for that specific show.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #23
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This is how the current process works...

Allegedly
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    This. Getting tickets should be random. But once confirmed all ticketing should be seniority based. If new members couldn't even get confirmed they wouldn't get any new members. No one is paying $35 just for a digital download of 7 songs and 5% off from the store.
    I wouldnt say "all". Im fine with some younger members getting lowers or pit, but set some cutoff and apply seniority to 2 of every 3 seat locations or something to that effect.

Quote:
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

One thing that has always confused me is why the WH has a limited number of tickets in the first place. Excepting those seats sold directly by the venue like season ticket holder seats, why can't the WH just offer all tickets to fan club members first and if there is not enough demand through the fan club, then they can be listed and sold on ticketmaster. I'm sure it's something to do with the promoter but I have little knowledge of that side of the industry.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 02-11-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #26
    gduarte77
    Evil EmPire

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

100% seniority should determine ticket allocations!
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
    cjward230

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

'04-Current WH member. In my 15 years (all at DC), I've been lucky enough to get lowers once. Not sure if there's a perfect solution to any of this, but I would love to see seniority play a bigger factor or at the very least have a little more transparency from the WH on how the process works. I'd also like to see a running total of memberships by year. That way you at least know what you're up against when/if seniority plays a factor.
    cjward230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    One thing that always confused me was why the WH can't just have all the tickets it wants for each show (excepting those tickets sold directly through the venue like SPAC membership tickets). Why not offer the tickets to fan club members first and if there is not enough demand through the fan club, then they can be listed and sold on ticketmaster. I'm sure it's something to do with the promoter but I have little knowledge of that side of the industry.
    I mean its a pretty simple answer. They know they can dump X # of uppers on the fanclub and theyre immediate sales, then they can double up on some of those people buying better seats during the public onsale.

Quote:
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #29
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I mean its a pretty simple answer. They know they can dump X # of uppers on the fanclub and theyre immediate sales, then they can double up on some of those people buying better seats during the public onsale.
    How about for shows like SPAC, Alpine, or the Gorge though where no matter what the seats will be sold?
    Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #30
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How about for shows like SPAC, Alpine, or the Gorge though where no matter what the seats will be sold?
    theyre not gonna make exceptions to overarching rules just because theres a tiny handful of venues that have legit supply vs demand issues for all seats.

Quote: