20 Year Warehouse Members Are Getting A Special Gift - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 20 Year Warehouse Members Are Getting A Special Gift

Haha hey I tried to give them a smidge of credit!
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #32
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a 2001 member so I guess I'll be getting this in a couple years. Personally, I don't really care about a poster one way or the other. I pay them $30-40 a year which isn't exactly a ton of money. In return they provide me a website, access to tickets (for better at worse - but still better than TM/LN) and a live exclusive CD and a trinket every year.

Personally, I've gotten a ton of pit tickets and several upgrades over the years. I'm good with them. I know a ton of people have beef with the WH but they have always been pretty good to me and they have responded and helped me out with ticket issues 2-3 times over the years.

They could have done absolutely nothing and I still would have stuck around.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #33
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    All time post right here, had me dying
    Haha! Glad someone got it.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #34
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.
    "son of a .... "
    Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #35
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    I'm a 2001 member so I guess I'll be getting this in a couple years. Personally, I don't really care about a poster one way or the other. I pay them $30-40 a year which isn't exactly a ton of money. In return they provide me a website, access to tickets (for better at worse - but still better than TM/LN) and a live exclusive CD and a trinket every year.

Personally, I've gotten a ton of pit tickets and several upgrades over the years. I'm good with them. I know a ton of people have beef with the WH but they have always been pretty good to me and they have responded and helped me out with ticket issues 2-3 times over the years.

They could have done absolutely nothing and I still would have stuck around.
    And just imagine the cost of shipping all these posters.. etc. What a waste, could've donated it to a charity on behalf of members or something.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #36
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    And just imagine the cost of shipping all these posters.. etc. What a waste, could've donated it to a charity on behalf of members or something.
    I agree and would have been totally fine with that. Honestly, what I think they should have done was sent every 20 year member a ticket for one free poster or free t-shirt at a show of their choosing.

To me this is a win-win. The member has to go to a show (big plus for the band) and then the WH doesn't have to pay to commission this poster or for all the shipping cost related to creating this poster and sending it out. The member gets to actually pick something DMB related out that they really want instead of a poster that isn't being very well received.
    Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #37
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree and would have been totally fine with that. Honestly, what I think they should have done was sent every 20 year member a ticket for one free poster or free t-shirt at a show of their choosing.

To me this is a win-win. The member has to go to a show (big plus for the band) and then the WH doesn't have to pay to commission this poster or for all the shipping cost related to creating this poster and sending it out. The member gets to actually pick something DMB related out that they really want instead of a poster that isn't being very well received.
    I like it.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #38
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is a great idea. Even better, they could let you reserve a N2 poster that typically gets sold out in a matter of minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #39
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevdmb View Post
    To your point.....they could commission a new one for each year.....remaining 1998 members get one print, remaining 1999 members get a different print, remaining 2000 members get a different print, etc.

This would cut down on the "unlimitedness" of the print and maybe even create a trade market for the prints.

Just a thought.
    greta idea
    Curious as to how many members there actually are and the breakdown of yr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Would be a cool idea but we know the warehouse would never put that much effort in.
    Exactly
    Quote:

Nice idea, see above

I for one think this is one of the better posters.
    I still wouldn't buy it and have never bought one of these $40 or whatever they cost posters as not one has been eye appealing enough for me to drop money.

Anyway, do you guys think this was actually designed for a 20 yr poster or simply a reject show poster that turned into a 20yr??
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #40
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

A perfect example of a fan being more in touch than the band.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #41
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is silly. If someone is has spent 20 years in a fan club, odds are they're going to go to a show anyway. It's not like they're getting a coupon and saying, "Well now I gotta go! 'Bout time I check out this DMB and see what they're all about." They're also like the group that's plunking down $40 for a shirt and $50 for a poster. Why eat into your profits like that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    A perfect example of a fan being more in touch than the band.

What if they gave all the 20 year fans free tickets to a show of their choosing in the front row with meet and greet passes and a signed setlist? Why aren't they doing that! The fans know what they want!
    Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #42
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    This is silly. If someone is has spent 20 years in a fan club, odds are they're going to go to a show anyway. It's not like they're getting a coupon and saying, "Well now I gotta go! 'Bout time I check out this DMB and see what they're all about." They're also like the group that's plunking down $40 for a shirt and $50 for a poster. Why eat into your profits like that?

What if they gave all the 20 year fans free tickets to a show of their choosing in the front row with meet and greet passes and a signed setlist? Why aren't they doing that! The fans know what they want!
    At this point in the bands career there are a lot of people who have scaled way back and some who do not go to shows at all anymore but still keep their memberships. I would estimate 35% of the people who post on ants aren't going to a show this year. Some people who were on the fence may decide to go to the show if it includes a free poster/t-shirt for the year. The idea here is that it is a 20 year member, I think those people have given you enough profits to give a little back, that's the point of a reward....

And... now you have deep dived into just being a fucking jackass, as is the usual for you, so I won't bother further responding. It's sort of just sad at this point...
    Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #43
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

You're right. The band should focus on more give-aways if they want to get people to shows.

Why else would anyone go?
    Old 03-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #44
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    At this point in the bands career there are a lot of people who have scaled way back and some who do not go to shows at all anymore but still keep their memberships. I would estimate 35% of the people who post on ants aren't going to a show this year. Some people who were on the fence may decide to go to the show if it includes a free poster/t-shirt for the year. The idea here is that it is a 20 year member, I think those people have given you enough profits to give a little back, that's the point of a reward....

And... now you have deep dived into just being a fucking jackass, as is the usual for you, so I won't bother further responding. It's sort of just sad at this point...
    Hilly just doesn't like your idea b/c it's better than any of the ideas he brought to the yearly Warehouse All Employee meeting.

It's actually a great idea.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #45
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Man, why didn't the warehouse think to give away the things people are buying for $50 each? How dumb are they! It's actually a great idea!
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #46
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

God forbid the warehouse cut into profits a tiny amount to give something back to their long time fans who are regularly screwed out of good tickets.

The horror!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #47
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

"35% of fans stopped going to show! Why won't the band cut into the profits to give something back?!"
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #48
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Generally, when sales slump companies will do things to entice the buyer to return.

Not DMB, that's a foreign concept to them from the top man down.

Quote:
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #49
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Free tshirts for all the fans!
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, they are giving something away... it was merely suggested that they give something away that the individual could make their own decision on.

What a concept.

For the record... I think the poster is cool idea. Doesn't mean another idea is bad.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #51
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    I mean, they are giving something away... it was merely suggested that they give something away that the individual could make their own decision on.

What a concept.

For the record... I think the poster is cool idea. Doesn't mean another idea is bad.

The idea thrown out there wasn't even that far off from what theyre actually doing

Hilly cannot handle anything that questions the WH.

Quote:
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #52
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're right. The band should focus on more give-aways if they want to get people to shows.

Why else would anyone go?
    Quote:
    Man, why didn't the warehouse think to give away the things people are buying for $50 each? How dumb are they! It's actually a great idea!
    Quote:
    "35% of fans stopped going to show! Why won't the band cut into the profits to give something back?!"
    Quote:
    Free tshirts for all the fans!
    It is amazing reading these all together. It's almost like reading an essay that would you get a failing grade in any basic marketing class.

Also, the fact that you don't seem to grasp that this is a 1 time reward for 20 years of loyalty is sort of amazing. You are acting like this is some sort wide spread thing that would be a huge amount of money for them one way or the other. There are only 3,520 Warehouse members left that joined between 12/3/98 and 12/3/99. That's about 70 items per show if everyone even went. They could just have created 50 extra posters at each show and it would have taken care of everyone and cost them less then having to commission a new poster and then having to have it shipped out.

By the way, the band cannot be that concerned about the profits off of posters. They limit the amount of posters and sell them out intentionally. That means they are leaving money on the table every night as is. So if they wanted to sell 600 at a show but made 650 instead and then gave away those extra 50, what's the difference? They would make the amount of money they wanted to make and then give away the extras as the reward.
    Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #53
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It is amazing reading these all together. It's almost like reading an essay that would you get a failing grade in any basic marketing class.

Also, the fact that you don't seem to grasp that this is a 1 time reward for 20 years of loyalty is sort of amazing. You are acting like this is some sort wide spread thing that would be a huge amount of money for them one way or the other. There are only 3,520 Warehouse members left that joined between 12/3/98 and 12/3/99. That's about 70 items per show if everyone even went. They could just have created 50 extra posters at each show and it would have taken care of everyone and cost them less then having to commission a new poster and then having to have it shipped out.

By the way, the band cannot be that concerned about the profits off of posters. They limit the amount of posters and sell them out intentionally. That means they are leaving money on the table every night as is. So if they wanted to sell 600 at a show but made 650 instead and then gave away those extra 50, what's the difference? They would make the amount of money they wanted to make and then give away the extras as the reward.
    How do you know this? Just curious.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #54
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How do you know this? Just curious.
    In the Warehouse you can click on message board then click on member. You can sort by join date. It lists everyone. Even if you have never posted in there it has you listed. So, there are 20 users per each page and 4,077 pages. There are right about 81,540 people in the Warehouse, which sounds about right.

I was just digging around to see where I was at and I just noticed that DobyBlue is about 7 ahead of me. He joined Sept of 2001. I joined October of 2001. I'm #7,558.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #55
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In the Warehouse you can click on message board then click on member. You can sort by join date. It lists everyone. Even if you have never posted in there it has you listed. So, there are 20 users per each page and 4,077 pages. There are right about 81,540 people in the Warehouse, which sounds about right.

I was just digging around to see where I was at and I just noticed that DobyBlue is about 7 ahead of me. He joined Sept of 2001. I joined October of 2001. I'm #7,558.
    I don't visit the boards often over there.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #56
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't visit the boards often over there.
    I don't much either... 429 posts over 18 years. I'd say 85% of those are ticket related.

In other fun math news - 81,540 X $40 renewal fee = $3,261,600 Good estimate of how much the fan club is making. They of course are then paying staff, sending out annual package, running the website etc.

Last edited by dmbnut21; 03-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #57
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't much either... 429 posts over 18 years. I'd say 85% of those are ticket related.

In other fun math news - 81,540 X $40 renewal fee = $3,261,600 Good estimate of how much the fan club is making. They of course are then paying staff, sending out annual package, running the website etc.
    their costs cant even be 20% of what theyre making per year, might not even be 10%. Not to mention additional ticket purchase fees they get when they overcharge for shipping.

Quote:
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #58
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    their costs cant even be 20% of what theyre making per year, might not even be 10%. Not to mention additional ticket purchase fees they get when they overcharge for shipping.
    I have no idea what it costs for the mixing/mastering/manufacturing of the WH disc but I wouldn't be surprised if that alone wasn't at least 20% of their overall costs.

I'd actually be surprised if the WH operated at much of a profit at all.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #59
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have no idea what it costs for the mixing/mastering/manufacturing of the WH disc but I wouldn't be surprised if that alone wasn't at least 20% of their overall costs.

Figured that would be mixed in with their staffing costs. But yeah I did forget about the WH disc production.

Their staff is tiny though whatever it is and we know the gift cant even cost them much more than like $2 per member to produce. Add that to the disc and a small amount of server space/upkeep for the site. They cant have much more cost beyond those things.

They are absolutely making a profit.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 03-25-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #60
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I agree with the above but my guess is they make a 15-25% profit. They probably have a staff of 6-8 people with varying salaries and benefits that is probably pushing $500K by itself.

Then you consider the creation of the packages, everything all in, the CD mixing, the creation of the CD, the sleeve, and the gift that it comes with plus the shipping cost to mail it. That's at least $12-$15 per member. So that is easily pushing over $1M.

From there you have give-aways/fly-aways, office space, the software for running the website including what handles the ticket distribution. Plus whatever they are paying to Music Today.

The real deal is though, this is much more about marketing and promotion and fan interaction then it is about profit. They profit off the shows and the merch sales etc.