Dumb & Dumber vs The Big Lebowski - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: What movie do you like more?
Dumb & Dumber 107 51.44%
The Big Lebowski 101 48.56%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
defcon
:rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dumb & Dumber vs The Big Lebowski

Wow.

I think the problem is that most people do not understand the Big Lebowski, either that, or they haven't seen it.

It actually takes some level of intelligence or at the very least the ability to have listened in high school social studies to understand that movie. I can't tell you how many times I've asked people to watch it with me and, in the middle of the movie, they're like, "What's pacifism? Who's V.I.I. Lennon?" I have no choice but to say, "Shut the fuck up, Donny."

Dumb and Dumber is simpleton, plain, and stupid -- so it doesn't surprise me that its well loved. It requires minimal thought to laugh at, and that's what America loves. Now, I'm not going to say the movie wasn't funny in its own way, but the only people who can pull off comedy that stupid and make it work are Monty Python, IMO. To each his own.

Comparing the two is like comparing a hermaphodite chicken with an fertile octogenarian. It just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by defcon; 10-12-2008 at 01:07 PM.
defcon is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #32
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    Wow.

I think the problem is that most people do not understand the Big Lebowski, either that, or they haven't seen it.

It actually takes some level of intelligence or at the very least the ability to have listened in high school social studies to understand that movie. I can't tell you how many times I've asked people to watch it with me and, in the middle of the movie, they're like, "What's pacifism? Who's V.I.I. Lennon?" I have no choice but to say, "Shut the fuck up, Donny."

Dumb and Dumber is simpleton, plain, and stupid -- so it doesn't surprise me that its well loved. To each his own.

Comparing the two is like comparing a hermaphodite chicken with an fertile octogenarian. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Thats a great way to put it.
    You just said a lot of what I wanted to say about it.
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #33
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I have seen both multiple times times each. I still think Dumb and Dumber is better.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #34
    crashintome202

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow.

Dumb and Dumber is simpleton, plain, and stupid -- so it doesn't surprise me that its well loved. It requires minimal thought to laugh at, and that's what America loves. Now, I'm not going to say the movie wasn't funny in its own way, but the only people who can pull off comedy that stupid and make it work are Monty Python, IMO. To each his own.

having listened in social studies makes you intelligent?
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow.

Kids in the Hall pulled it off too.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #36
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintome202 View Post
    having listened in social studies makes you intelligent?

Let me see if I remember my old modus tollens and logic crap.

Was there not an "Or" in that sentence?

I thought there was an "Or."

Yes, as I scroll down, I believe the conjunction used was, "Or," implying that it takes one or the other, that is, in my limited world view, it takes either intelligence or the ability to have listened in high school social studies to appreciate the Big Lebowski, if only in passing.

I was not implying that having listened in social studies makes one intelligent, or I would have used the conjunctive, "And."

Of course, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Last edited by defcon; 10-12-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
    crashintome202

My Tour Central Stats

oh.... so your friends are fuckin retards?
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #38
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bothedmbfan View Post
    Kids in the Hall pulled it off too.
    Yes. Agreed.

The chicken lady was absolutely hilarious. I had to drop a class with a bunch of people I had just met in college because the Professor reminded us all of the Chicken Lady and we were laughing so hard every time she would say,

"Awww, can ya hear me in the back? Can you hear me in the back?"

or anything for that matter.

The first time we heard it someone raised the point, so we recorded her, took it back to the dorm, and contrasted and compared it with KITH. From that point forward, every word that came out of her mouth was absolutely delightful, comedic relief. I felt so bad that I had to drop that class within a week because it was just too much to take.

That, and she had no business ever being a college professor, IMHO, but that's another point.

The irony is that Monty Python is British, and Kids in the Hall were Canadian.

I don't know how that is ironic, but it sounded good to say.
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #39
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    oh.... so your friends are fuckin retards?
    Honestly, I wouldn't say that about them. I'm not trying to sound presumptuous, but its more the fact that the movie simply didn't interest them because they couldn't understand it, and I could, although, admittedly, not so well after the first two times. More of my college friends understand it. In my opinion its a very sophisticated type of humor. The first time I saw the movie, I just kept thinking, "what the hell was the point," but that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuating itself -- the movie didn't need to have a point because it was a series of so many different points.
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #40
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes. Agreed.

The chicken lady was absolutely hilarious. I had to drop a class with a bunch of people I had just met in college because the Professor reminded us all of the Chicken Lady and we were laughing so hard every time she would say,

"Awww, can ya hear me in the back? Can you hear me in the back?"

or anything for that matter.

The first time we heard it someone raised the point, so we recorded her, took it back to the dorm, and contrasted and compared it with KITH. From that point forward, every word that came out of her mouth was absolutely delightful, comedic relief. I felt so bad that I had to drop that class within a week because it was just too much to take.

That, and she had no business ever being a college professor, IMHO, but that's another point.

The irony is that Monty Python is British, and Kids in the Hall were Canadian.

I don't know how that is ironic, but it sounded good to say.
    It's ironic because those two countries are seldom ever funny.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #41
    crashintome202

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Honestly, I wouldn't say that about them. I'm not trying to sound presumptuous, but its more the fact that the movie simply didn't interest them because they couldn't understand it, and I could, although, admittedly, not so well after the first two times. More of my college friends understand it. In my opinion its a very sophisticated type of humor. The first time I saw the movie, I just kept thinking, "what the hell was the point," but that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuating itself -- the movie didn't need to have a point because it was a series of so many different points.
    i understand your point. the only problem is, dumb and dumber is the funniest/best stupid comedy for alot of people. i dont think the big lebowski has a big enough fanbase to win this poll or people don't think its the best comedy it its sub-genre
    Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #42
    dmbinchicago
    Greasy Animal

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The results of this poll make me sad.
    "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself." - Thomas Jefferson
    dmbinchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #43
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i understand your point. the only problem is, dumb and dumber is the funniest/best stupid comedy for alot of people. i dont think the big lebowski has a big enough fanbase to win this poll or people don't think its the best comedy it its sub-genre
    You speak the truth. Lebowski is definitely a B-movie, it has sold more on DVD than it ever did on box office. I think D&D is more well liked because people don't have to think about it -- and that's why most people see/watch a movie in the first place, to not think about their world.

I would also attribute it to the fact that roughly half of Ants were too young to watch TBL when it came out in 1998, and haven't gotten around to it.

Also, due to the excessive profanity used in TBL, any television or other version suitable to be broadcast on public airwaves simply destroys the movie.

If you hear, "This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass," and John Goodman about to have a coronary, it's just not the same when they overdub and change the words. I even saw a version where the omitted entire scenes -including this one, which, quite frankly, was probably the funniest scene of the entire movie, IMO.

I can't stand to watch TBL on TV, whereas DnD is great and definitely more broadcastable (yes, that's not a word, but I don't care).

So in summation, DnD may have more mainstream appeal among poll takers due to the aforementioned factors, among others.
    Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #44
    PhishFleck41
    FUCK Commerce!

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

you sold my dead bird to a bind kid?
    Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #45
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Just the writing alone makes me appreciate Lebowski more.
    Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #46
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Love 'em both but I went with The Big Lebowski.
    Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
    umphucked88

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You speak the truth. Lebowski is definitely a B-movie, it has sold more on DVD than it ever did on box office. I think D&D is more well liked because people don't have to think about it -- and that's why most people see/watch a movie in the first place, to not think about their world.

I would also attribute it to the fact that roughly half of Ants were too young to watch TBL when it came out in 1998, and haven't gotten around to it.

Also, due to the excessive profanity used in TBL, any television or other version suitable to be broadcast on public airwaves simply destroys the movie.

If you hear, "This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass," and John Goodman about to have a coronary, it's just not the same when they overdub and change the words. I even saw a version where the omitted entire scenes -including this one, which, quite frankly, was probably the funniest scene of the entire movie, IMO.

I can't stand to watch TBL on TV, whereas DnD is great and definitely more broadcastable (yes, that's not a word, but I don't care).

So in summation, DnD may have more mainstream appeal among poll takers due to the aforementioned factors, among others.
    Are you trying to tell me that "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!!" isn't as funny?

Well then, you sir, have no sense of humor.

After this thread was made, I decided to watch Dumb and Dumber and Lebowski again today, and I change my vote, because Walter Schobak is the best supporting character ever. Ever. Ever.

http://www.themostimportantblogever.com
    umphucked88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #48
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

There's only one movie I like more than The Big Lebowski and it's not Dumb and Dumber.
    Old 10-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #49
    CamCam176
    Charlie

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

The Big Lebowsi is fucking 100x better than dumb and dumber
    CamCam176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #50
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Dumb and Dumber is fucking 25x better than The Big Lebowski
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #51
    Spicy McHaggis
    Badassitude

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    i can't believe d&d is getting any votes in this......so sad.
    You're right... absolutely ridiculous. This poll teaches me a lot. As a Lebowski fan, I can say for certain that the results tell me who my friends & allies are. Is it really that close?

Congrats to the Los Angeles Lakers, your 2009 NBA Champions. 16 to Repeat!
    Spicy McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #52
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

TBL is great, they are differnt styles of comedies
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
    dmbinchicago
    Greasy Animal

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    You're right... absolutely ridiculous. This poll teaches me a lot. As a Lebowski fan, I can say for certain that the results tell me who my friends & allies are. Is it really that close?
    "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself." - Thomas Jefferson
    dmbinchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #54
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    TBL is great, they are differnt styles of comedies
    by that you mean, the best and ok?

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #55
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    It sounds like a line is being drawn.

"I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do NOT-"

Decision 2008:

Dude/Sobchak 2008
    "This aggression will not stand, man."

vs.

LLoyd/Harry 2008
    "Some people just aren't cut out for life on the road."

What side will you choose?

I'm a proud member of the Dudeness Party.
    Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #56
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bothedmbfan View Post
    It's ironic because those two countries are seldom ever funny.

Are you saying that comedians and programs from Canada and England are seldom ever funny? Because I strongly disagree.

Lebowski is easily the choice here. I enjoy D&D, but I worry about people who think D&D is funnier. It's like people who think Friends is better than Seinfeld. I just don't understand it.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #57
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Despite voting for Dumb & Dumber, I will say Lebowski is the better movie with 100% certainty, but entertainment outweighs the filmmaking aspect for me when it comes to the comedy genre, and Dumb and Dumber is more entertaining to me. But Lebowski is also one of my absolute favorites.

EDIT: And I would also would vote for Dude and Sobchak for the Oval Office before Harry and Lloyd.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.

Last edited by AlpineValley804; 10-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #58
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

holy fuck...i refuse to vote

#NATITUDE
    trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #59
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

The Big Lebowski is a much better movie than dumb and dumber... The poll is wrong
    DMB 2018 - Riverbend (Show #36).

Squishy Break:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ygp...pP0I/giphy.gif
    douglaskg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #60
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There's only one movie I like more than The Big Lebowski and it's not Dumb and Dumber.
    What movie could it possibly be if it's not Dumb and & Dumber?
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote