Hiking/Mountaineering - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #61
SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Hiking/Mountaineering

Quality posts, diableri.

Saw a few big horn sheep, a moose and first grizzly of the season the other day. Miserable weather so havent been able to hike yet, hopefully next week when I have days off.
SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #62
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Nice, I was in Lincoln yesterday with a buddy for a day hike. I'm so out of shape. The steep slopes killed me.

It was worth it for the beautiful day it was and eating a pile of nachos at Woodstock Brewery after!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    It's that first 24-36 hours that's tough for me, after that I am "warmed up" or whatever and do alright and do fine with the pack on, even heavy. Big ups always suck though regardless of how many days in. Nice when they come late int he hike though so you've already consumed a lot of your pack weight.

Day hikes, overnighters or multi day and do you have other people to split up the food?

Feel free to skip all this, it's mostly rambling about food (very near and dear to my beleaguered heart these days). For day hikes and some overnighters I just do GORP (for anyone that's unfamiliar with the term, just google it; there's a million recipes and it takes a while to find the one that works for your body). For full weekends or easier trips I take a mix of GORP, hot chocolate, tea, soup mixes (whichever works for you) and we try to fish. For long trips, anything big calorie and small weight cause I'm now old and fat. This all assumes easy access to water/snow and fuel/stove.

If you can get a (or several) friends to base camp for you, then you can go all out. Look for friends that like the idea of backpacking but not necessarily the full monty. What you do is pick trails that are super easy to day hike and bunny hop base camps. Whitney is a perfect intro example of this for your prospective base camp buddies. Base camp friends and you meet at portal the day before and pack them up with full car camping gear, set up and spend the night before you summit. Base camp friends explore the creek trail pond in the morning, have beers at the store and day hike up to the lake and back while you're doing your summit and back. That way, you get back to portal and have steaks/real food for dinner after killing yourself on pancakes that morning/afternoon when you get back. Also everyone is relatively acclimated for what they are doing that way.

After that, the next day you drive an hour over to the base camp area (horseshoe meadows for Mt Langley and do the exact same thing after restocking in Lone Pine and grab another (easy) 14'er and let your base camp friends explore the days worth of beautiful day hikes around there. Only catch is you can't stay more than a night in the same spot at horseshoe these days but it's not a big deal to move.

Couple days of easy, gorgeous base camp day hikes for the lightweights, incredible food with good friends and pretty stunning sierra mountains. I'm sure most mountain ranges with good park services will offer something similar even if they aren't in thin air.

EDIT: Oh, Justin's peanut butter (double duty for GORP mix), honey (double duty for tea) that kind of thing is pretty great and I prefer it to most power bar type things. Not quite as efficient but a hell of a lot more enjoyable. I put them in those goop tubes a lot for day hikes or keep the sealed packs if bear can stuffing. Anything you can get that hits more than one (or better yet two) functions the easier it all becomes.
    thanks for all the information. very helpful!

to the bolded- i was mainly asking for 1-2 night hikes. ill be w/ my bf (he also carries the tent). i LOVE the idea of having friends be at a base camp, that's brilliant. a lot of our trips this summer though will just be us
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #63
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i borrowed a friends self inflating sleeping pad, thermarest. very comfortable. im gonna buy a shorter one to cut weight, though

if anyone has any suggestions for sleeping pads, id appreciate it
    Old 05-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #64
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I've slept on all types of pads and find that a bit of extra weight is usually worth a pleasant night's sleep. That being said I still try to keep it as light as possible. I currently use an Exped Synmat UL 7 (1lb). With an inflatable you run the risk of a puncture, but if you're careful it shouldn't be an issue. If I know I'll be sleeping on snow, I will bring a Thermarest Z-Lite for some extra insulation.
    Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #65
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    i borrowed a friends self inflating sleeping pad, thermarest. very comfortable. im gonna buy a shorter one to cut weight, though

if anyone has any suggestions for sleeping pads, id appreciate it
    I'm incredibly lucky in that I have never had much trouble sleeping with just a tarp but dollar for dollar, there's very little that can make as much of a difference than the right pad. I also have a ZLite and a bunch of others. The ZLites get the most use but I do tend to tear them up quickly as I sit on them a lot as well for a rear end pad. If I was more careful, it'd last a long damned time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I've slept on all types of pads and find that a bit of extra weight is usually worth a pleasant night's sleep. That being said I still try to keep it as light as possible. I currently use an Exped Synmat UL 7 (1lb). With an inflatable you run the risk of a puncture, but if you're careful it shouldn't be an issue. If I know I'll be sleeping on snow, I will bring a Thermarest Z-Lite for some extra insulation.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #66
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i saw my first black bear!!!

i was in the berkshires in western MA. who would have thought
    Old 06-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #67
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i saw my first black bear!!!

i was in the berkshires in western MA. who would have thought
    That's awesome and you got a pic too!
    Old 08-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #68
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

spent the last couple of days in grand teton.... holy shit. if anyone has any desire to do backpacking, this should be on your bucketlist. every step was stunning

32 miles in 3 days/2 nights with an 18 lb pack. wasn't as bad as it sounds because there wasn't much elevation change. no bear sightings but saw some moose which was exciting. Alaska basin rocked. on my way to yellowstone! tomorrow is coincidentally the 100 year anniversary of the national parks....Woooooo
    Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #69
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    spent the last couple of days in grand teton.... holy shit. if anyone has any desire to do backpacking, this should be on your bucketlist. every step was stunning

32 miles in 3 days/2 nights with an 18 lb pack. wasn't as bad as it sounds because there wasn't much elevation change. no bear sightings but saw some moose which was exciting. Alaska basin rocked. on my way to yellowstone! tomorrow is coincidentally the 100 year anniversary of the national parks....Woooooo
    Sounds great, nice work! 18lbs is pretty light for two nights.

Happy Anniversary NPs! I celebrated this year with my first summit of Mount Rainier here is Washington State. That one was on my bucket list for a while.
    Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #70
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

ya my bf carried the tent and the bear canister/food. i carried both sleeping pads, my own bag/clothes and random shit like first aid kit

id eventually like to work my way up to do maybe 7 nights. but with someone else to carry the tent
    Old 08-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #71
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, you did great at 18lbs. Hope the partner didn't have a 30 pounder though. But even if they did, good job getting them to mule for ya!

We're going to be doing some snorkeling and day hiking in Hawaii this season so no big trips for us. Probably taking my nephews car camping again in the desert when the temps drop some more around Mono and Coyote so we can see how they do at elevation.
    Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #72
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I really want to get into hiking..just no idea where to start or where to go. Also I'd likely be alone and don't want to die in the woods by myself
    DMBstandUP1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #73
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    I really want to get into hiking..just no idea where to start or where to go. Also I'd likely be alone and don't want to die in the woods by myself
    I'm in the same boat. I've got some basic camping knowledge but not enough for me to feel confident out there. Biggest thing is figuring out my pack because my camping has always been canoe based so it didn't really matter how heavy my pack was. We'd only have to carry it for the portages which would be no longer than a mile.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #74
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I was in the Army for 8 years so I hope i can figure out the basics of what to pack, build a tent and such. But that's about where it ends.
    DMBstandUP1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #75
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

I can't hang with you marathon runners in the running thread, but hiking season in full swing up here in Washington State. Been working up to higher mileage the past few weeks and was able to get in a long double peak grab that's been on my to do list for a while on Saturday. Been fun using Strava/Relive apps to create these tracks.

https://video.relive.cc/1689054371_s...2838482712.mp4

Anyone else been out in the mountains this summer? Got any photos/vids/trip reports to share?
    Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #76
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Only short, sub 8 mile, day hikes so far. Been spending lots and lots of time with some long distance/elevation bike rides. Its a beautiful summer so far!
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #77
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I bought an auction house this a few months ago and have been just doing reno work on it so haven't done a damned thing yet this year other than some beach weekend strolls. Next plan is to roam around Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego on little day hikes out of a rented travel trailer in November. I'm also on the hunt for a new pack. Want a smaller internal frame with good ventilation. I have a couple ultralites and a big expid pack but need a framed weekender with internal frame for camera gear and lots of water. We've been taking the GF's dog with us more and more.

Last edited by diableri; 07-31-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #78
    Gene Parmesan

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Recently took a trip out west and did The Narrows hike at Zion. Incredible unique views, but there was a ton of people by the time we made our way back. Was incredibly proud of my 8 year old son who did 8 miles, 6 of it in and out of the river without complaint. He loved the whole in the river thing. Awesome hike, do not miss if you go to Zion. Definitely rent the water shoes if you don't have them.
    Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM   #79
    Dave G

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I bought an auction house this a few months ago and have been just doing reno work on it so haven't done a damned thing yet this year other than some beach weekend strolls. Next plan is to roam around Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego on little day hikes out of a rented travel trailer in November. I'm also on the hunt for a new pack. Want a smaller internal frame with good ventilation. I have a couple ultralites and a big expid pack but need a framed weekender with internal frame for camera gear and lots of water. We've been taking the GF's dog with us more and more.
    I use a Osprey Stratos 34 for a day/overnight pack and really like it. Carries weight well and the mesh back panel keeps it off your back. Plenty of pockets and lots of adjustability

Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
    No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
    Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #80
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    I use a Osprey Stratos 34 for a day/overnight pack and really like it. Carries weight well and the mesh back panel keeps it off your back. Plenty of pockets and lots of adjustability
    Thanks man. Everyone I’ve ever known with ospreys and come across on the trail love them. I’ve gone back and forth with these custom ultralites and my big old dad designs for a couple decades now. Time to get a compromise pack and lose some of the wierder ones I’ve squirreled away.
    Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #81
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Love my Osprey pack
    Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 PM   #82
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a big Osprey fan too. I've owned several but currently I use the Exos for my backpacking and Talon for my daypacking.
    Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #83
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

osprey is okay but IMO there are better bags out there from smaller businesses, just have to do the research

i just got a new bag from gossamer gear. it's pretty sexy. i'm all about the ultra-light equipment. more expensive but makes such a big difference on overnight trips. can't be lugging around useless weight
    Old 07-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #84
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

I've tried some of the ultralight bags, but I find that the extra weight from frames that get my pack off my back so it can breathe a bit are worth it for me. Exos keeps it pretty light as far as framed packs go (I think Osprey may now have a newer model that's even lighter).

To each their own though. Lots of great choices out there today.
    Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #85
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    osprey is okay but IMO there are better bags out there from smaller businesses, just have to do the research

i just got a new bag from gossamer gear. it's pretty sexy. i'm all about the ultra-light equipment. more expensive but makes such a big difference on overnight trips. can't be lugging around useless weight
    Hah, I've got an older GG that's great. It's around a 25-35 but I really only want to take it on super low gear requirement hikes these days. I'm sure it's my age and the 8-10lbs of camera gear I'm lugging around now but I'm looking for more frame support. I've even taken my giant Dana a few times on a weekender when I just said, fuck it: I'm bringing all my lenses and been relatively happy. It weighs a ton but the support is incredible.

My ULA is great as well but again, I'm carrying too much crap around for these super lites these days.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm fat, old and built like a gorilla so the extra pack weight savings doesn't register near as well as just being at a lighter point in the season.

Last edited by diableri; 07-31-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #86
    Dave G

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hah, I've got an older GG that's great. It's around a 25-35 but I really only want to take it on super low gear requirement hikes these days. I'm sure it's my age and the 8-10lbs of camera gear I'm lugging around now but I'm looking for more frame support. I've even taken my giant Dana a few times on a weekender when I just said, fuck it: I'm bringing all my lenses and been relatively happy. It weighs a ton but the support is incredible.

My ULA is great as well but again, I'm carrying too much crap around for these super lites these days.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm fat, old and built like a gorilla so the extra pack weight savings doesn't register near as well as just being at a lighter point in the season. :lol
    haha yeah I agree.
    Here I am on Cathedral Trail last year on my way up to Katahdin last year (knife edge in the background). It was a piece of cake compared to the day before, when we hiked up to Chimney pond where we were staying.
    3+ miles in a heat wave with full LL Bean full pack was pretty torturous, and I was glad I had dropped a few pounds getting in shape

It was worth it once you got up there though CLICK

Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
    No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
    Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #87
    SmoothG

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I think I’m going to be going back to glacier national park to work for a couple of months so I’m looking forward to some hiking there!
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #88
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

EDIT: I should also add that I'm fat, old and built like a gorilla so the extra pack weight savings doesn't register near as well as just being at a lighter point in the season.
    damn!! i would die! that's awesome though, good for you. i'm a little OCD about what i pack. like instead of bringing a small bottle of sunscreen i'll just put like 2 tablespoons in a plastic baggy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    haha yeah I agree.
    Here I am on Cathedral Trail last year on my way up to Katahdin last year (knife edge in the background). It was a piece of cake compared to the day before, when we hiked up to Chimney pond where we were staying.
    3+ miles in a heat wave with full LL Bean full pack was pretty torturous, and I was glad I had dropped a few pounds getting in shape

It was worth it once you got up there though CLICK
    awesome!! katahdin is on my list this summer/fall

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    I think I’m going to be going back to glacier national park to work for a couple of months so I’m looking forward to some hiking there!
    very jealous
    Old 08-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #89
    TypicalBilly14

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

https://twitter.com/demianbulwa/stat...82215716413442
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote