*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 3115 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #93421
MDPrompter
Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
College isn't for everyone. There are a lot of people making great livings without a degree.
nothing against you....but I fucking hate this talking point. It's so misleading at a time when we need to be educating.

Look at the UE rate for people with college degrees vs those without. Look at lifetime earnings.
MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #93422
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    College isn't for everyone. There are a lot of people making great livings without a degree.
    There are a lot of people who could be making better livings if they had a college education too. However, I agree that college isn't for everyone. My take is everyone who has the motivation and the intelligence to succeed in college deserves to go. I support free college, but people still need to meet high standards to be accepted into college. For the people who don't have the motivation or intelligence to succeed in college, then we need to create other avenues for them that allow them to contribute to society and have a functioning home life. Things like apprenticeships would be great I think.

Last edited by Benny003; 07-23-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #93423
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Yes, I understand. I just think a lot of them are stupid and just there to make money for the government, nothing more.

My overall point was that, if you run the club, would you be doing those things or not? Would your bathroooms be disgusting, food cold, kitchen unclean? Or, would you be running the club like a proper club?
    A couple years ago a building in the East Village blew up and killed two people because the owner was trying to skirt the law and syphon gas from the commercial space on the ground floor to the residential area above to save money. And they used an unlicensed, random handy man to do it. Didn't tell ConEd, didn't tell anyone. Two people including a 19 or so year old kid are dead.

Restaurants are always being shuttered temporarily or permanently for health-code violations.

Obviously many people will want a well-maintained space to make money, but if you want to live in a world where you don't know if the building is going to collapse, or if there's rat shit all over your possibly under-refrigerated perishables, or if someone's storing poisonous chemicals right next to food prep areas, or if you're being served drinks in dirty glasses, then I'm sure there's some countries somewhere you can visit. But as much as it costs us a shitload of money, I'd rather the peace of mind for when I go elsewhere.

Last edited by zajDmB1; 07-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #93424
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Thinking back about the Stand Your Ground laws, does that legalize duels? Like seriously, is there a reason that SYG wouldn't protect you if you got into a 1700's duel with someone? Would both parties be protected or would they have to prove in a court who "started" the fight? I know this sounds dumb, but it just seems like our gun laws are going backward with things like SYG when killing someone with a gun becomes legal in an extreme broad situational context. It's like the wild west.

Last edited by Benny003; 07-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #93425
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    nothing against you....but I fucking hate this talking point. It's so misleading at a time when we need to be educating.

Look at the UE rate for people with college degrees vs those without. Look at lifetime earnings.
    In regards to the bold, do you consider trade schools as education or no? Persoanlly, I think trades like plumbing, electric, contracting, masonary, engines & body work (vehincle/boats), culinary, etc...Can all be worthwhile professions. If you're $50k doing one of those/year, what's the difference in that than someone in social services with a BA thats' making roughly the same amount.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #93426
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In regards to the bold, do you consider trade schools as education or no? Persoanlly, I think trades like plumbing, electric, contracting, masonary, engines & body work (vehincle/boats), culinary, etc...Can all be worthwhile professions. If you're $50k doing one of those/year, what's the difference in that than someone in social services with a BA thats' making roughly the same amount.
    I'm in total agreement with this. If a profession/job allows someone to have a functioning home life and brings them satisfaction of accomplishment while contributing to the needs of society, then I'm for it no matter how much education or lack thereof it requires. Training = education IMO.
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #93427
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    20214 - KACA - Keep America Catless Always!!

How's the bold fit in with the rest of your platform? Feel like you're going to need more cuts to push this "no taxes" agenda.
    That's my joke for when people say that they are enjoying the tax cut that was just passed. Not a serious position. Good eye!
    cazzie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #93428
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Question about UBI, if someone blows their money on dumb stuff, what happens then?
    They figure out how to survive until the first of the month.
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #93429
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    That's my joke for when people say that they are enjoying the tax cut that was just passed. Not a serious position. Good eye!
    Don't scare Milos like that, Cazz!! Even Milos isn't crazy enough to promise "no taxes." Almost conceded on the spot.
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #93430
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Look, if republicans can run seriously on a not paid for tax cut during a time the economy is doing well and have people defend the tax cut because who doesn't like more money, then I can run on a jokey platform of no taxes no cuts to show how absurd republicans are (yet still get treated seriously).
    Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #93431
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They figure out how to survive until the first of the month.
    So cash your check and come on
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #93432
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Look, if republicans can run seriously on a not paid for tax cut during a time the economy is doing well and have people defend the tax cut because who doesn't like more money, then I can run on a jokey platform of no taxes no cuts to show how absurd republicans are (yet still get treated seriously).
    That's a bold strategy, Cazz.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #93433
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    If it were up to me I'd put a complete stop to government loans. The indentured servitude of the portion of the population that is supposed to be the most innovative and risk taking is enough evidence for me. I know a guy who is over $200k in debt based off a history major and master in anthropological law. The guy is fucked, and it's not because he never had anyone tell him it's a bad idea. It's insane.
    This guy is t the problem though and stopping student loans won’t solve it, only hurt us in other ways and exacerbate problems we already have.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #93434
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a bold strategy, Cazz.
    Educating through humor.

A campaign slogan and a policy point.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #93435
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Educating through humor.

A campaign slogan and a policy point.
    Milos is all about policy via pop culture and memes.

If nothing else, it will be an entertaining election season.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #93436
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You are a highly educated person who makes a great living. There are a lot of people - whom I work with - that getting a college education would be a waste of time, resources and would not improve their employability.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    There are a lot of people who could be making better livings if they had a college education too. However, I agree that college isn't for everyone. My take is everyone who has the motivation and the intelligence to succeed in college deserves to go. I support free college, but people still need to meet high standards to be accepted into college. For the people who don't have the motivation or intelligence to succeed in college, then we need to create other avenues for them that allow them to contribute to society and have a functioning home life. Things like apprenticeships would be great I think.
    Almost anyone get into college now. Free college means a good number of people will stay in school longer, just because it is free. Seekuppig is right that all of these things make a degree less valuable.
    Quote:
    Exactly.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #93437
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    absolutely. trade school should be subsidized as well as university
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #93438
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    totally support trade schools and apprenticeships. And I agree college isn't for everyone. It's the statement "college isn't for everyone, lots of good jobs for those without a degree" that I take issue with. It should be presented as a full suite of options...that shows average starting salaries, UE rates for similar skillsets, costs, etc. We shouldnt be giving false hope to people because we know a guy without a college degree that's doing well.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #93439
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Government intervention causes college tuition to go up, causing kids to be in an absurd amount of debt before they get a real job, therefore we should increase government subsidation of college. 2+2=5
    ShotgunDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #93440
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

College education, student loans, trade schools, minimum wage - I love it when the thread reruns the classics.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #93441
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Also - I don't think you graduate from most trade schools making 50k. Pretty sure you've got a bunch of years "paying your dues" before you actually make a decent wage.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #93442
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Almost anyone get into college now. Free college means a good number of people will stay in school longer, just because it is free. Seekuppig is right that all of these things make a degree less valuable.
    There could be restrictions put into place such as you must graduate within 5 years in order for it to be covered. Also, I don't see how a degree can really be less valuable. What I mean is that just because lots of people receive an education doesn't mean you learned less. The knowledge gained is still the same and that is still valuable and can lead to other things. Now what you're getting at is that more people with college degrees means it becomes more competitive to find jobs at that level of education. Certainly, but is that really a bad thing? I mean in order for us to advance as a society in terms of productivity or technological advances, we need people to be more highly educated. If we artificially restrict who we educate, then we're just holding ourselves back from advancing as a society. My point is that the problem we have isn't that we have too many highly educated people. The problem we have is that we've made that education too expensive to be sustainable. Being highly educated is good. Being burdened by crippling debt is not. Let's fix the debt problem, not the education "problem."

Or make college more difficult to get into. Raise the bar. Maybe community college in the near future becomes what university was a few years ago (similar to how kids learn more in high school now, such as calculus, than their parents learned). Keep college being elite, but by making it smarter and more challenging, not by putting artificial quotas of how many can attend.

Last edited by Benny003; 07-23-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #93443
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Truck drivers are making a killing right now.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #93444
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Government intervention causes college tuition to go up, causing kids to be in an absurd amount of debt before they get a real job, therefore we should increase government subsidation of college. 2+2=5
    what's starting salary for Bach degree vs HS diploma?

What's UE rate for Bach degree vs HS diploma?
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #93445
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Truck drivers are making a killing right now.
    They've got 10-15 more years before that profession is gone.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #93446
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Stormys husband files for divorce

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/07/23/...ting-divorced/

And I the only one going, Stormy has a husband??

Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #93447
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Marvich doesn’t know what socialism actually means. I’m stunned.
    This is coming from the guy equating DSA with Stalin.
    Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #93448
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There could be restrictions put into place such as you must graduate within 5 years in order for it to be covered. Also, I don't see how a degree can really be less valuable.
    What I mean is that just because lots of people receive an education doesn't mean you learned less. The knowledge gained is still the same and that is still valuable and can lead to other things. Now what you're getting at is that more people with college degrees means it becomes more competitive to find jobs at that level of education. Certainly, but is that really a bad thing?
    The more people who have a college degree and the easier it is to earn, the less valuable it becomes. The first 2 years I was with my current employer, I recruited, and I met tons of people with degrees who did not have skills. It was clear to me they bought the "get your college degree" and everything will be okay in life - without developing any skills. Our education systems should be emphasizing skills. There are numerous employment opportunities where a formal college education is not needed. If someone wants to go to college to get an education, I am all for that, but if the only reason is to get a degree without developing any real skills, it's a waste of time and resources.

Quote:
    I mean in order for us to advance as a society in terms of productivity or technological advances, we need people to be more highly educated. If we artificially restrict who we educate, then we're just holding ourselves back from advancing as a society. My point is that the problem we have isn't that we have too many highly educated people. The problem we have is that we've made that education too expensive to be sustainable. Being highly educated is good. Being burdened by crippling debt is not. Let's fix the debt problem, not the education "problem."
    I know a lot of people make light of things Shotty says (rightfully so), but in this circumstance, he is right. The reason tuition is so high is because there is so much subsidization. Less subsidization would mean less cost of higher education. The fact remains though, almost anyone can get a college degree now.
    Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #93449
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what's starting salary for Bach degree vs HS diploma?

What's UE rate for Bach degree vs HS diploma?
    Should everyone get a MD / doctorate / JD? Following this logic, everyone should get the highest degree possible.

Your questions is irrelevant and actually harmful. Someone who is going to struggle in college and not be able to complete their degree, now just wasted time, and lots of money trying to get one.
    Old 07-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #93450
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

I’m reading “almost anyone can get a college degree now“ like it’s a bad thing.