Dave’s voice 2018-2019 - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #61
SandraDMB

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave’s voice 2018-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
And regardless of how they're being used, long term use of steroids is a bad idea.
See a doctor though. Stem cell treatment. Might help him sound more like himself.
SandraDMB is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #62
    SandraDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perch1019 View Post
    Ive had 3 friends who used to be big dave fans check out the channel, hear the Pelham show, and text me asking what the hell is up with his voice. He sounds atrocious on that compared to some of the other stuff theyre playing on the channel. Even when you hear something from 2016 VS that its rough.

I hate to say this but dude needs to take an entire year off. Especially after the last year they have had touring.
    Same happened to me. My husband's best friend. He couldn't listen to Pelham.
    Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #63
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SandraDMB View Post
    Only saying he did (early 90s even as mentioned in VH1 Driven) and now he does not.

OP/Thread is about his voice sounding worse

Right but you've also said the following:

Fire the coach. 2013 Dave Matthews' voice sounded amazing. Compare Halloweens from 2013 to 2014 when Robert came along (thanks Brandi!!).

Dave would do well back on the roids or latest vocal lesion fluid stuff. Search on pub med. Raab sells apps and theory of course he doesn't wanted Dave off that stuff.

... The Voice Tutor app that Raab promotes is for vocalists with four different voice types - struggling with tension, breathy, flipping, and connected. The first three create vocal issues and the last is when you have everything working correctly, it is far better to practice correct technique and avoid issues than it is to take steroids which often don't work. Suggesting he goes back on steroids would be the unhealthy and ineffective way to handle his issue of singing too hard too often. Firing Raab, taking steroids and just letting it rip live won't have him sounding like it's 2001.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #64
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Right but you've also said the following:

Fire the coach. 2013 Dave Matthews' voice sounded amazing. Compare Halloweens from 2013 to 2014 when Robert came along (thanks Brandi!!).

Dave would do well back on the roids or latest vocal lesion fluid stuff. Search on pub med. Raab sells apps and theory of course he doesn't wanted Dave off that stuff.

... The Voice Tutor app that Raab promotes is for vocalists with four different voice types - struggling with tension, breathy, flipping, and connected. The first three create vocal issues and the last is when you have everything working correctly, it is far better to practice correct technique and avoid issues than it is to take steroids which often don't work. Suggesting he goes back on steroids would be the unhealthy and ineffective way to handle his issue of singing too hard too often. Firing Raab, taking steroids and just letting it rip live won't have him sounding like it's 2001.
    A lot of what's been said in this thread and the Boyd thread and the set list thread and others is really more about the portion of DMB fans here (and elsewhere) that have a certain specific myopic notion of how this band should sound. They aren't interested in the natural evolution of an artist, the changing dynamics of a band and it's players/participants, nor the aging process that will change a musician...most especially a singer.

Dave's voice was never going to maintain it's high range or those extended wails at all, let alone without causing damage (referring to the wailing aspect). I understand liking how he sounded in his 20s and 30s, but it's not realistic to think he's still capable...not after all he put his voice through AND getting older.

Dylan basically stopped singing when he was younger than Dave... What Dave's doing is just lower version of his voice with more controlled/compressed dynamics. He's going to be doing this for the rest of life, he doesn't want to destroy his voice. Someone mentioned a year off, and it might do him some good, but Dave's one of those musicians that wants to, loves to, NEEDS to play...

Last edited by grilldanmo; 06-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #65
    SandraDMB

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't say, "Fire the coach". I asked (retorically) what sports teams do when they're playing poorly (omitted from the quote).

Dave isn't going to fire the vocal coach. He is family at this point. Just like he is not going back to playing Taylor guitars because Brian Calhoun is like family at this point as well.

I'm just going to reiterate As to why Dave sounds different of late (his own words).:

Dave: "...but I have one incredible voice coach....that now I don't take steroids and do things with my voice...I just go find this guy..."

Howard: "Oh you had to do that?"

Dave: "I used to but then...I met raab....and he's just beyond a talent"

https://youtu.be/DB5iypZ404Q (35seconds)

Last edited by SandraDMB; 06-14-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #66
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A lot of what's been said in this thread and the Boyd thread and the set list thread and others is really more about the portion of DMB fans here (and elsewhere) that have a certain specific myopic notion of how this band should sound. They aren't interested in the natural evolution of an artist, the changing dynamics of a band and it's players/participants, nor the aging process that will change a musician...most especially a singer.

Dave's voice was never going to maintain it's high range or those extended wails at all, let alone without causing damage (referring to the wailing aspect). I understand liking how he sounded in his 20s and 30s, but it's not realistic to think he's still capable...not after all he put his voice through AND getting older.

Dylan basically stopped singing when he was younger than Dave... What Dave's doing is just lower version of his voice with more controlled/compressed dynamics. He's going to be doing this for the rest of life, he doesn't want to destroy his voice. Someone mentioned a year off, and it might do him some good, but Dave's one of those musicians that wants to, loves to, NEEDS to play...

I agree with you obviously, thing with a year off is yeah he'll be well rested after some time but if he comes back after a year and pushes as hard as he does he'll be right back in the same spot. He is hoarse a lot.
    Old 06-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #67
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I agree with you obviously, thing with a year off is yeah he'll be well rested after some time but if he comes back after a year and pushes as hard as he does he'll be right back in the same spot. He is hoarse a lot.
    Yup, so more breaks, technique training, and maybe some treatments that aren't as damaging as they can be helpful (e.g.: steroids). Hopefully he isn't smoking and he cuts back on drinking...the acidity and the alcohol just aren't beneficial.

It's not for us to tell him hos to live his life, but I do wish all singers would treat their voices like I do my guitars...
    Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #68
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Pig tonight was rough. Ugh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #69
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Pig tonight was rough. Ugh.
    Disagree, it's not studio but that wasn't bad, it's not perfect. He'd better be careful with so many shows in the next two weeks though.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #70
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

So Dave used to be on the juice? I had no clue about that
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #71
    Thirtyfouroi

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

2008 was special for many reasons, particularly june 2008. but imho 2008 was the last year we heard dave's voice at it's best and consistently over an entire summer.. We have seen glimpses since, mainly at d+t shows. The last show we got the best dave's vocals, that i know of, were the 2009 d+t vegas shows. he strains so much these days.. in the past it was so effortless. Sometimes singers fall into a trap of over thinking. And I hope that's not the case. However, he is still very capable of pulling off the vocals we all love. It is just the ability to be consistent. One show may be all we get. Where as in the past, his vocals recovered much quicker. If he took three months off (no singing period) And then played two or three d+t shows, his voice would sound great.

Last edited by Thirtyfouroi; 06-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #72
    Thirtyfouroi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    I can't even explain how much I relate to this feeling right now.

The song where it's most evident in terms of emotion and inflection to me is Bartender. The way he sang my favorite part of it 5:45 - 6:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lS4EoTY1nQ vs the way he sings it now and last year is just unbelievable. In the old days, there was an emotion carried through the song and he just let everything out in a way that felt natural.

Now it's 1:25:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9K8fMffI5M&t=5467s

Or even worse 6:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl491eumIY

To me, these versions (and really anything where he screams anymore (DDTW etc) are literally cringe. That's the only way I can describe it. I remember being at the Gorge last year and feeling like 'uhhh' during a part where he was screaming his head off. It just doesn't feel natural or authentic.

For the record, I'm someone who would get goosebumps and sometimes emotional over that Folsom field version, and many others back in the 2000s, so I'm not trying to be a hater right now, I just can't into his voice/music the way I could back then and I agree a large part of it is his lack of emotion/connection to the song etc.

Also, I can't blame the guy for it. When the songs were new, he was obviously more emotionally invested in the song. These days, he likely can't relate to what he wrote in his 30s.. he's freaking 52. Who could?
    often times, when talking about performances and their degradation over time, what is very often overlooked amongst all rock stars, the use of "mind altering substances" to enhance the performance. dave is off everything ( i don't count weed as something) and like all rock stars, as they get older, their performances become a little more boring. and a lot of that has to do with getting older. but just as big of an impact is simply not doing drugs. 99% of the time, an artists writes his or her best music/albums while high, and during a time where drugs were ever present. check out the 2008 d+t show at bloomington IU. the obama show. he very clearly talks about exactly what he was doing before that show after one of the songs. if you want to see, there are only a handful of videos from that show on youtube. but i can't remember which song it was. but have a look, you'll see what i mean. but anyhow, he just isn't doing that sorta thing anymore.

Last edited by Thirtyfouroi; 06-14-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #73
    Thirtyfouroi

My Tour Central Stats

https://youtu.be/LKeJdPfQBAU this, just before ants
    Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #74
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi View Post
    2008 was special for many reasons, particularly june 2008. but imho 2008 was the last year we heard dave's voice at it's best and consistently over an entire summer.. We have seen glimpses since, mainly at d+t shows. The last show we got the best dave's vocals, that i know of, were the 2009 d+t vegas shows. he strains so much these days.. in the past it was so effortless. Sometimes singers fall into a trap of over thinking. And I hope that's not the case. However, he is still very capable of pulling off the vocals we all love. It is just the ability to be consistent. One show may be all we get. Where as in the past, his vocals recovered much quicker. If he took three months off (no singing period) And then played two or three d+t shows, his voice would sound great.
    That’s what happens when you get old and don’t take care of your voice in general. Add to that not having sung with ideal technique for decades and you’re potentially going to hit a breaking point, often of now return.

Expecting a 53 year old to sound like he did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago isn’t realistic unless he never smoked, didn’t drink, used almost perfect classical technique, etc. Dave lived his life and used his voice as he wanted. He’s played more shows than pretty much any artist since 1994...there’s a shit ton of miles on those cords. He’s aged and it’s neither the end of the world nor bad sounding.
    Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #75
    illinifan

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That’s what happens when you get old and don’t take care of your voice in general. Add to that not having sung with ideal technique for decades and you’re potentially going to hit a breaking point, often of now return.

Expecting a 53 year old to sound like he did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago isn’t realistic unless he never smoked, didn’t drink, used almost perfect classical technique, etc. Dave lived his life and used his voice as he wanted. He’s played more shows than pretty much any artist since 1994...there’s a shit ton of miles on those cords. He’s aged and it’s neither the end of the world nor bad sounding.
    You mean Ants has unrealistic expectations?? At least this guy gets it. Life happens.
    illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #76
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Or even worse 6:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl491eumIY

To me, these versions (and really anything where he screams anymore (DDTW etc) are literally cringe. That's the only way I can describe it. I remember being at the Gorge last year and feeling like 'uhhh' during a part where he was screaming his head off. It just doesn't feel natural or authentic.

For the record, I'm someone who would get goosebumps and sometimes emotional over that Folsom field version, and many others back in the 2000s, so I'm not trying to be a hater right now, I just can't into his voice/music the way I could back then and I agree a large part of it is his lack of emotion/connection to the song etc.

Also, I can't blame the guy for it. When the songs were new, he was obviously more emotionally invested in the song. These days, he likely can't relate to what he wrote in his 30s.. he's freaking 52. Who could?

You point to 6:05, he had been belting for 30 seconds by that point, also he's 18 years older than he was at Folsom
    Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #77
    SeeMoreDMB

My Tour Central Stats

The unrealistic expectations on Ants are what is truly cringe.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #78
    elpandres

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I think eventually the band would benefit to take the songs a full step down as Dave gets older.

Billy Joel had a great tenor, and as he got older dropped the key of his songs and to me I think that’s better than straining with the original key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    elpandres is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #79
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Dave’s voice 2018-2019

Dave sounded killer in Camden last night, IMO.
    Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #80
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elpandres View Post
    I think eventually the band would benefit to take the songs a full step down as Dave gets older.

Billy Joel had a great tenor, and as he got older dropped the key of his songs and to me I think that’s better than straining with the original key.

Oof I cannot tell you how strongly I feel against this. I absolutely hate it when artists take songs down from the original key. I feel like each key has tied with it certain emotions and sentiments that lose their touch when taken to a different key. Pig in E major, for example (because it happens to be what I'm listening to right now), would not feel as sweet and peaceful if it was brought down to Eb in my opinion, and the outro wouldn't feel as impactful in that changed key as well. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I can determine which note is which by listening, but hearing Dave's songs in a different key would drive me absolutely crazy... :/
    Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #81
    elpandres

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post
    Oof I cannot tell you how strongly I feel against this. I absolutely hate it when artists take songs down from the original key. I feel like each key has tied with it certain emotions and sentiments that lose their touch when taken to a different key. Pig in E major, for example (because it happens to be what I'm listening to right now), would not feel as sweet and peaceful if it was brought down to Eb in my opinion, and the outro wouldn't feel as impactful in that changed key as well. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I can determine which note is which by listening, but hearing Dave's songs in a different key would drive me absolutely crazy... :/

Completely understand that. If Dave’s voice eventually gets to that point though I think it’d be interesting to hear those different versions and maybe come to like them in a new way. A lot of people on this board don’t like change though hahah.

You are right though, with the Billy Joel songs i do love how they sound even if it’s a little odd, and then when the studio versions or earlier live versions shuffle on my playlist hearing that they sound better. The energy of the tone also goes down when you lower it because you don’t need to push as much for the higher note, so that would change the feel of some songs. Also pop and mainstream music has gotten everyone used to the tenor range, and many baritones or basses don’t fit in that world.

I used to be a pitch purist, but most people don’t care for perfect pitch. As long as Dave always keeps the raw emotion some off notes won’t derail a song, or show.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #82
    elpandres

My Tour Central Stats

Especially in a live environment at a concert. On a recording off pitch is much more noticeable. So the videos they post it’s more noticeable than if you are at the concert with everyone singing along.

I at least am happy he sounds good in the studio.

Idk if they pitch correct him a little?

But he sounds very crisp on this most recent album. Especially with some of the different FX they blend into his voice in different songs.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #83
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post

Old 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #84
    SandraDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elpandres View Post
    Especially in a live environment at a concert. On a recording off pitch is much more noticeable. So the videos they post it’s more noticeable than if you are at the concert with everyone singing along.
    That's why DMB's management is awful. If it makes him / them sound like an ass, they shouldn't push DMB on SiriusXM. Let fans hear shows in person. Or let people continue to enjoy taper audio where there is much more forgiveness thanks to the room's air and the natural verb.

If you've heard any IEMs the music almost always sound like shit; vocals in particular. That's how unforgiving the live release of SiriusXM audio.

Dave is vocally rough right now but I seldom see remarks coming back from shows mentioning his voice. Meanwhile, when you're promoting the heck out of hard on the ears live streams, that's the impression fans are FORCED to come away with.

As Grateful Dead approached in 1995, Jerry's playing was real bad. People now easily overlook that period. By pushing all these soundboards to out that have Dave sounding craptastic there's no way to leave it to memory.

DMB's management is out to lunch or too busy seeing Phish. Evaluate what sounds good and what doesn't. Only allow good things to go out. It's not difficult.
    Old 06-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #85
    Ardbark

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Dave always sounded like Dave and that wasn't good. The emotion is the quailty that was good and he still has that. So what's the problem?
    Ardbark is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #86
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ardbark View Post
    Dave always sounded like Dave and that wasn't good. The emotion is the quailty that was good and he still has that. So what's the problem?

Dave sounding like Dave was never an issue for me
    Old 06-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #87
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ardbark View Post
    what? Dave sounding like Dave is the second only to Dave's songs as why this band is one of my favorites.
    Old 06-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #88
    GPK68

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Great post, totally agree.
    GPK68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #89
    joanna4136
    forever grux

Shows Seen: 108

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Why is Buddy singing alongside Dave on She? Back up is fine, but he is right up there in the mix. Unless it’s a Sirius feed thing? Dave can handle that song vocally without a problem. I could do without the Buddy singalong. Makes it sound like poop.
    joanna4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #90
    jglizaze

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I think it's the lack of proper mixing on XM. He sounded terrible last year on xm, but sounded just fine live imo. It almost sounds like XM has the middle section of the mixer turned all the way up.
    jglizaze is offline   Reply With Quote