Jeff Coffin Interview - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
zellea21

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Jeff Coffin Interview

Hey all,

Tomorrow October 9th at 12pm est, I will be interviewing Jeff Coffin of DMB.

Please feel free to send over questions !!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=qJgTXLAWK_s
zellea21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Jeff Coffin Interview

That’s awesome! If I could ask Jeff Coffin a question, I’d ask if he’s planning on playing any concerts with Béla Fleck and the Flecktones in the future.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
    zellea21

My Tour Central Stats

No problem I will ask...I hope you tune in!!!
    Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Dave and Carter are recording in Charlottesville. Ask if he plans to join them (virtually if anything) and if they’re recording as a band.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

We’ve heard that Rashawn is the “musical director” of the band. What does Rashawn actually do as a “musical director” and does he dictate all the horn parts you play?

Also, what’s his favorite DMB song to play on live?
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
    MarkMilberg

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    We’ve heard that Rashawn is the “musical director” of the band. What does Rashawn actually do as a “musical director” and does he dictate all the horn parts you play?

Also, what’s his favorite DMB song to play on live?
    Mine is a similar question: each band member must have songs they like much less than the other band members, so how does that affect set-lists? (e.g. if a song Jeff really doesn't like gets played, does Dave try and put a song Jeff really likes on the same setlist?)

I would love to hear all sorts of setlist gossip and fun setlist-related stories.
    MarkMilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2020, 03:56 AM   #7
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Ask about alternative plans for live shows in 2021. Like if they are planning on drive in style shows or something else if traditional amp shows are still not happening by the time the tour rolls around
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2020, 04:04 AM   #8
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Are there any songs at this point that you guys as a band just dont play because of Roi? How do you strike a balance between playing the parts that Roi wrote on a particular song and giving the song your own flavor?
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #9
    zellea21

My Tour Central Stats

Hey all Big Day today.. Please feel free to Listen live to the interview with Jeff Coffin at 12pm!!!

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgTXLAWK_s
    Old 10-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
    twostep665

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Dave and Carter are recording in Charlottesville. Ask if he plans to join them (virtually if anything) and if they’re recording as a band.
    The question was asked and Jeff replied "hmm I don't know where they heard that."

Uh we heard it from Dave!
    Old 10-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostep665 View Post
    The question was asked and Jeff replied "hmm I don't know where they heard that."

If he's not playing dumb, it just goes to show you that these guys aren't really in-touch with each other on all things band related.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
    LaLaLaLaHey

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostep665 View Post

Do you have a time stamp?
    Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, based on the story of how the past few albums have been recorded, the “core” band works on songs (Dave, Carter, fonz, Tim), and then horns kind of come in and overdub. When boyd was in, he just kind of overdubbed violin the past few albums from what we can tell.

Here it’s prolly Dave writing, then workshopping with carter, and if they like what they got, it goes to the band and they get brought in to do their thing and they knock it out in a few weeks. It’s the writing that takes time.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #14
    zellea21

My Tour Central Stats

Guys,

Overall I hope everyone enjoyed the interview.. we were suppose to go 30 minutes and went 90 instead..
    Old 10-10-2020, 12:51 AM   #15
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you so much for this OP! I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeff once a couple years ago in Toronto and he is one of the nicest people you could meet; very open to pictures/chatting with fans. Thanks for asking my questions! Btw, I wonder if Rashawn's role has changed; I definitely wasn't pulling it out of my ass lmao... here's the video where Rashawn refers to himself as the musical director of DMB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rnffUE4IU (@ 0:49).

Anyway, awesome interview! I don't think I had ever really heard the in-depth story about how he replaced Roi from his perspective; other than little soundbytes here and there. Definitely hadn't heard those stories about Vusi Mahlasela and Dave; very fascinating. And very cool to hear about how Jeff used to practice 12 hours a day on top of being a full-time student; I mean, I guess its obvious he would've had to have practiced that much to be as good as he is! Very inspiring!

Also, to him possibly playing dumb about the studio sessions... that doesn't surprise me. Jeff isn't tuned into every little thing Dave is saying or doing (he doesn't know what the fans know) and I'm sure there are a lot of NDA's associated with studio sessions and stuff like that so its in Jeff's best interests to just play dumb whenever those questions come up. However, I doubt Jeff has been sitting in with them either. It is cool to hear they still do the rehearsal rooms backstage though at the shows! I'm sure there's been at least a couple new songs that have grown out of those.
    Old 10-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
    twostep665

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    Do you have a time stamp?
    No but its towards the end of the interview. He asks the fan questions at the end.
    Old 10-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
    twostep665

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zellea21 View Post
    Guys,

Overall I hope everyone enjoyed the interview.. we were suppose to go 30 minutes and went 90 instead..
    Very good interview. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #18
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Guys,

Really enjoyed the interview. And I agree with Jeff that you listened really well and just let him talk. Cool stuff.
    Old 10-16-2020, 03:11 AM   #19
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for a great interview. When Jeff briefly touched on Vusi Mahlasela, South Africa and apartheid, it reminded me yet again how much this part of Dave's life and the effect it has had on his outlook hasn't been covered enough. It would be fantastic to see Dave be interviewed by Trevor Noah, for instance, and hear him get Dave to discuss race, immigration, national identity and South Africa before and after apartheid.

Perhaps people forget now but the end of apartheid was a massive story in the United States for much of the late 1980s, and I'm sure Carter, LeRoi (who intimated in an interview with Charlie Rose that he met Dave for the first time while he was becoming more aware of apartheid) and Boyd discussed this with Dave. It's hard to imagine nowadays something akin to a white South African forming a multiracial band during the end of apartheid which is arguably the pinnacle of 20th century racism, and hearing about how this part of the band is thought about by the band themselves would just be fascinating.
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #20
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

As Dave proved in his Sirius interview today, Jeff’s answer to my question about studio work was nonsense. Not only does he know about it, he was there recording too.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #21
    chach1369
    Bluto

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontburnthe_pig View Post
    Thanks for a great interview. When Jeff briefly touched on Vusi Mahlasela, South Africa and apartheid, it reminded me yet again how much this part of Dave's life and the effect it has had on his outlook hasn't been covered enough. It would be fantastic to see Dave be interviewed by Trevor Noah, for instance, and hear him get Dave to discuss race, immigration, national identity and South Africa before and after apartheid.

Perhaps people forget now but the end of apartheid was a massive story in the United States for much of the late 1980s, and I'm sure Carter, LeRoi (who intimated in an interview with Charlie Rose that he met Dave for the first time while he was becoming more aware of apartheid) and Boyd discussed this with Dave. It's hard to imagine nowadays something akin to a white South African forming a multiracial band during the end of apartheid which is arguably the pinnacle of 20th century racism, and hearing about how this part of the band is thought about by the band themselves would just be fascinating.
    THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. YESTERDAY. I could listen to (watch, whatever) Trevor all day long. He does such a better, more informed interview than any other "late night" host, and I'd love to hear the two of discuss, well, anything.
    chach1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #22
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As Dave proved in his Sirius interview today, Jeff’s answer to my question about studio work was nonsense. Not only does he know about it, he was there recording too.
    Yeah, but like I said above, Jeff likely has no idea what Dave is saying publicly about the album; it’s in his best interests to just play dumb. Only way he would say anything is if an album was already officially announced.
    Old 10-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #23
    zellea21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just asking did you like the interview.. with all due respect..I was not looking for dirt or to break news in that sense... I was interested in painting the best picture possible about his story and his perspective...

I don't think it would be in his place to discuss what the overall plan was...its not his role..

Sorry if I sound like a jerk.. but that was the perspective I was trying to bring
    Old 10-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #24
    Thomasjd2

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just asking did you like the interview.. with all due respect..I was not looking for dirt or to break news in that sense... I was interested in painting the best picture possible about his story and his perspective...

I don't think it would be in his place to discuss what the overall plan was...its not his role..

Sorry if I sound like a jerk.. but that was the perspective I was trying to bring
    Not at all jerkish. You did well to bring it up. Jeff was, of course, not being honest. But also his job is to not be honest right there. Asked and answered. That was all there was to it. If you are so interested in the topic that you absolutely need to know the latest the band is willing to make available, the information was and is readily available from Dave himself. And the information is exciting.

Very much appreciated the interview man. Good work and thank you. Especially letting it run long, not trying to rush any of it. Also since he referenced these boards, Jeff if you see this thank you for making the time and for being you!
    Thomasjd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2020, 06:49 AM   #25
    zellea21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know we live in a world where we cant make everyone happy.. i know and accept that.. but this is not a big thing to harp on ...

I think at the end of the day there was plenty of info and stories told and if you hang on the one nugget then what can I say..