2021-2022 NFL Season - Page 288 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #8611
ToySoldier#34
 
ToySoldier#34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 50,393

Shows Seen: 28

Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
But the thing is, there are advanced metrics that help assign value to calls/non-calls, and in close games (especially those decided by less than a TD) that value can change the game. It's similar to the strike zone analysis in baseball - you can weight the missed calls and assign change in runs/run differential.


There's far too much technology available to have bad calls, missed calls, and to be measuring first downs with literal sticks and chains. All major American sports need accountability in officiating, and all should be investing in the tech to ensure correct calls if they care about the integrity of the game (they mostly don't, and exhibit A is the warm embrace the NFL is giving the gambling industry).


I'd have to think hard about the last time I felt a game was decided by the refs in a Patriots game, that's all I'm saying, disagreeing that it's THE narrative after every game but it could obviously be improved



In other news Stafford's 4th quarter stats on this playoff run are crazy
__________________
Make E1 Great Again
ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #8612
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat
     
    UNC41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Minneapolis, MN
    Posts: 27,510

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Imagine having a team you root for giving the offensive player of the year a free release into zone coverage all game when he's the only threat?
    What was odd is that Kupp only had one catch the entire second half up until the last touchdown drive. I am not sure if that was more the Bengals defending him better or Stafford not looking his way, but it was odd to see him completely absent from the offense for a bunch of possessions and then all over the place as they drove for the game-winning score.
    __________________
    Bryan

    You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #8613
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!
     
    Foreverford05's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: WV
    Posts: 15,094

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'd have to think hard about the last time I felt a game was decided by the refs in a Patriots game, that's all I'm saying, disagreeing that it's THE narrative after every game but it could obviously be improved



    In other news Stafford's 4th quarter stats on this playoff run are crazy
    NE/Dallas week 6 would have absolutely been decided by the refs had Dallas lost. 12 penalties for 115yds: The 1st holding on Smith fine, that's a 'every play' penalty but fine. Then the hold on Williams followed by the illegal hands to the face by Smith were absolutely atrocious. Then the hold and UC on Williams at the end of the 4th were about as obvious giveaways as there could have been, refs over there begging NE to just win this game and giving them every opportunity to do so. Trash game.
    __________________
    Dallas Cowboys
    Baltimore O's
    UVA Athletics
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #8614
    drakan
     
    drakan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Location: 99
    Posts: 22,761

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    It's not even enough to win a super bowl now you have to get engaged or have a baby after the game.
    __________________
    It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
    -William Shakespeare
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #8615
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Imagine having a team you root for giving the offensive player of the year a free release into zone coverage all game when he's the only threat?
    Minus the shit penalty that led to his 2nd TD, the Bengals held him to 80 something yards and a TD.

    He's arguably the best WR in football. Dude is gonna put up some stats no matter what scheme you throw at him.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #8616
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    Bad calls hurt both teams. It's just lazy to call out the refs as a primary reason the Bengals lost last night. The offensive line, Eli Apple and giving the ball to Samage Perine with the game on the line and some questionable play calling are just a few things that had more to do with the outcome than the refs.
    I don't know how many times I have to say it wasn't the primary reason before you stop responding like that's what I'm saying.

    And like I said before, the Rams had some atrocious offensive playcalls too. Hence why I put O-line play and officiating ahead of that variable.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #8617
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Minus the shit penalty that led to his 2nd TD, the Bengals held him to 80 something yards and a TD.

    He's arguably the best WR in football. Dude is gonna put up some stats no matter what scheme you throw at him.

    Yes when you take away things he did he did less than he did


    Probably a good player to key in on when the game matters the most, two players that you have to focus on with Darnold and Kupp, let both of them do what they want to win the game.
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #8618
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Yes when you take away things he did he did less than he did


    Probably a good player to key in on when the game matters the most, two players that you have to focus on with Darnold and Kupp, let both of them do what they want to win the game.
    He had those stats before the refs gifted the Rams another 4 downs

    You can't hold players like him down forever. And I don't know what you can do to stop him when you have Eli Apple as a starting QB.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #8619
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Why didn't the other NHL teams just stop Wayne Gretzky?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #8620
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Why didn't BB focus on taking out the best player on each team starting in 2001 with Marshall Faulk?
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:30 PM   #8621
    prdstmnky36
     
    prdstmnky36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: VT
    Posts: 7,246

    Shows Seen: 78

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Craig Ehlo should have played better defense
    __________________
    John
    MY SHOWS

    SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #8622
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 80,500

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    What was odd is that Kupp only had one catch the entire second half up until the last touchdown drive. I am not sure if that was more the Bengals defending him better or Stafford not looking his way, but it was odd to see him completely absent from the offense for a bunch of possessions and then all over the place as they drove for the game-winning score.

    OBJ went down had to do with a lot of it
    __________________
    Why can we eat salad but not grass? - Taylor Swift
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #8623
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Why didn't BB focus on taking out the best player on each team starting in 2001 with Marshall Faulk?


    They were focused on stopping the run and blitzing on passing downs, and it pretty much worked until the refs said hold my beer.

    I think if you ask any Bengals fan if holding the Rams to 16 pts before that garbage penalty was satisfactory defense, 99% of them would say yes.

    BTB? Speilman?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #8624
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    One offensive player to focus on

    8 receptions, 92 yards, 11.5 average, 2 TD, MVP, free release all game into zone coverage including the game winning drive
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #8625
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    One offensive player to focus on

    8 receptions, 92 yards, 11.5 average, 2 TD, MVP, free release all game into zone coverage including the game winning drive
    So still better than what some other teams with better defenses held him to in the regular season and playoffs?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #8626
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    So still better than what some other teams with better defenses held him to in the regular season and playoffs?

    Yes they did better than scrub teams in the regular season which matters a lot in this conversation, that is true, although not enough ... because ... you know ...
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #8627
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Yes they did better than scrub teams in the regular season which matters a lot in this conversation, that is true, although not enough ... because ... you know ...
    Or ya know...TB and SF...
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #8628
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Or ya know...TB and SF...

    Yes TB's vaunted secondary
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #8629
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 42,327

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'd have to think hard about the last time I felt a game was decided by the refs in a Patriots game
    I mean…you’re not going to get a lot of love from non-Pats fans on this comment. You had the Golden boy and the officials very often treated it as such.

    Or, we can just talk about the tuck rule game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    What was odd is that Kupp only had one catch the entire second half up until the last touchdown drive.
    Awuzie being banged up at the end of the game is the difference there. They mostly had him on an island in the second half until he had to leave the field for injury.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #8630
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 80,500

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Cincy fans are 2001 Raiders fans
    __________________
    Why can we eat salad but not grass? - Taylor Swift
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #8631
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat
     
    UNC41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Minneapolis, MN
    Posts: 27,510

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I don't know how many times I have to say it wasn't the primary reason before you stop responding like that's what I'm saying.

    And like I said before, the Rams had some atrocious offensive playcalls too. Hence why I put O-line play and officiating ahead of that variable.
    You said multiple times, including in the post I just quoted, that the offensive line and refs were the main reasons the Bengals lost. I agree with the former so I only disagreed on the latter

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    OBJ went down had to do with a lot of it
    He was down during the last drive when Kupp was all other place too, although ...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Awuzie being banged up at the end of the game is the difference there. They mostly had him on an island in the second half until he had to leave the field for injury.
    ... this makes some sense out of it. I'm not well versed on the Bengals secondary to know who Awuzie is let alone the impact him leaving the game would have.
    __________________
    Bryan

    You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #8632
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Any chance in hell if the Rams don't get that call on 3rd down that they consider kicking the FG with 3 TOs left?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #8633
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 80,500

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Cincy got a bad spot on that 4th and 1 play


    TBH Cincy kind of got jacked around all game
    __________________
    Why can we eat salad but not grass? - Taylor Swift
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #8634
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Refs weren't good, Cincy play calling was an absolute train wreck at the end of the game
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #8635
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    The Perine run to the Donald gap was mind-numbingly stupid.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #8636
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 80,500

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    The play calling on the last drive was horrendous
    __________________
    Why can we eat salad but not grass? - Taylor Swift
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:33 PM   #8637
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat
     
    UNC41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Minneapolis, MN
    Posts: 27,510

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Rams play calling wasn't much better in the 2nd half. McVay continually running it up the middle on 2nd down and 4-7 yards was horrendous.
    __________________
    Bryan

    You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #8638
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 19,192

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    Rams play calling wasn't much better in the 2nd half. McVay continually running it up the middle on 2nd down and 4-7 yards was horrendous.
    Plus the multiple 20 yard timing routes to the sideline on 3rd and 1/short.

    Was like watching Leftwich call plays all over again.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #8639
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 50,393

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    The Perine run to the Donald gap was mind-numbingly stupid.

    That, the deep ball, they needed about 10-15 yards
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #8640
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 80,500

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season

    I think Kupp is just really really good at getting open
    __________________
    Why can we eat salad but not grass? - Taylor Swift
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram