The Outdoor Thread. - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #181
WoodstockAimee

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Outdoor Thread.

I did a full moon hike Sunday night at Sweetwater Creek. It was spooky and fun!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #182
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

3 day solo trip to Almont, CO. Just amazing. 2 rivers, three spots, only one person to answer to

Got my first ever Kokanee! Best fishing experience of my life. Didn’t get the first gone I hooked in the net, I was blown away by the jumps and the fight. The next one I was sure to not miss.

Wish I had a forth day.

Check out the stick from the Gunnison. Every pod had a Caddis worm in it. Every stick had hundreds on it.

Part 1 of 2

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #183
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Part 2 of 2

Old 10-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #184
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Wow.

Mad respect for that cat

https://ourcommunitynow.com/video/vi...d-on-trail-cam

Old 10-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #185
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Nice pics climb, p cool to be able to go catch salmon like that far away from the coast. Beautiful cuttie too
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #186
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    Nice pics climb, p cool to be able to go catch salmon like that far away from the coast. Beautiful cuttie too
    Thanks man. Yeah, the Kokanee will remains one of the favorite fish I’ve caught for a long time.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #187
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

@trampled

Winston Air 2, lamson guru reel.

A little “alimony is over” present to myself
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpeg 3414FD31-FB6F-43D2-9F12-DC01DAEF47A8.jpeg (31.5 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #188
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    @trampled

Winston Air 2, lamson guru reel.

A little “alimony is over” present to myself
    Ohhhh mannn!! I’ve tossed around my buddy’s Air so I’m sure the Air 2 is equally as spectacular. Terrific rod, and you have to love that they are made in Montana.

I recently splurged on 4 Whiting capes and a 8’3” 3wt Douglas Upstream. I was able to get back to Missouri for 3 days of fishing towards the end of February. Going either to MO or the driftless for 5 days in April. Really miss living in an area where I could pop off a spur of the moment smallmouth/trout outing.

Post again when you break in that Winston! Would love to hear about it
    Old 03-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #189
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, that’s a sweet rod Climb! I’d love to upgrade my setup but I just don’t do enough fly fishing to justify it.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #190
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ohhhh mannn!! I’ve tossed around my buddy’s Air so I’m sure the Air 2 is equally as spectacular. Terrific rod, and you have to love that they are made in Montana.

I recently splurged on 4 Whiting capes and a 8’3” 3wt Douglas Upstream. I was able to get back to Missouri for 3 days of fishing towards the end of February. Going either to MO or the driftless for 5 days in April. Really miss living in an area where I could pop off a spur of the moment smallmouth/trout outing.

Post again when you break in that Winston! Would love to hear about it
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Wow, that’s a sweet rod Climb! I’d love to upgrade my setup but I just don’t do enough fly fishing to justify it.
    Thanks guys.

I’ve been fishing an entry level loomis with a starter Ross reel since 2005 so, not normally something I’d splurge on but with the kids out of the house and 8 years of alimony ending it was time.

I threw the 2 new g loom is rods, the new Scott centric, and this one for about an hour and was all set to buy the Asquith when I casted the Winston one more time and my friend an old timer whose forgotten more than I know said dude, the Winston fits your casting motion effortlessly where I was trying too hard with the others. Plus I through one on the green last summer and the guide said it was the best a client has ever casted it. Maybe he was just being nice but he was really complimentary. Lastly my dad smoked Winston’s in the 70s so ya know, sometimes it just feels right.

Interested to see how this does with two flies, weight and an indicator into the wind….it’s medium fast at best so we’ll see.

I’ll get a chance to find out especially in two weeks when I have 4 nights in Alcova booked. Grey reef and Fremont canyon. It’s going to be fucking cold and windy lol, I’m am idiot, but my son is game and I know we’ll be rewarded if it doesn’t snow us out. I’ll definitely let you know how we do. I’ll add a pic from last year.

Tomorrow I’ll be somewhere on the south platte.

I’m excited about the reel too, trying a large arbor with drag that actually works….

John, I hope things change and you can get out more. I’m going to fish as much as I can this year.

Why can I only upload 40kb pics??
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpeg B2DE5BEB-AA53-45C4-B79F-4E6B7FE98B4D.jpeg (38.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Climb2safety; 03-11-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    Old 03-11-2022, 12:59 PM   #191
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Damn, that’s a pig!

It’s just such a small window that I’m actually interested in trout fishing. From like May thru September I spend a lot of time out on the lake or rivers, on a boat, either trolling or just spin/bait casting. Little bit of spear & ice fishing when in season. I’d say my angling is just much more diverse than most of the fly fisherman I know, who pretty much refuse to do anything else. I might get out a half dozen times a year with my fly rod, which makes spending money on that much less desirable than other gear - I drop a couple hundred at least every year on lures and spoons though!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #192
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Damn, that’s a pig!

It’s just such a small window that I’m actually interested in trout fishing. From like May thru September I spend a lot of time out on the lake or rivers, on a boat, either trolling or just spin/bait casting. Little bit of spear & ice fishing when in season. I’d say my angling is just much more diverse than most of the fly fisherman I know, who pretty much refuse to do anything else. I might get out a half dozen times a year with my fly rod, which makes spending money on that much less desirable than other gear - I drop a couple hundred at least every year on lures and spoons though!

Right on. That clears things up.

What other fish are you targeting from the boat?

Old 03-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #193
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks guys.

I’ve been fishing an entry level loomis with a starter Ross reel since 2005 so, not normally something I’d splurge on but with the kids out of the house and 8 years of alimony ending it was time.

I threw the 2 new g loom is rods, the new Scott centric, and this one for about an hour and was all set to buy the Asquith when I casted the Winston one more time and my friend an old timer whose forgotten more than I know said dude, the Winston fits your casting motion effortlessly where I was trying too hard with the others. Plus I through one on the green last summer and the guide said it was the best a client has ever casted it. Maybe he was just being nice but he was really complimentary. Lastly my dad smoked Winston’s in the 70s so ya know, sometimes it just feels right.

Interested to see how this does with two flies, weight and an indicator into the wind….it’s medium fast at best so we’ll see.

I’ll get a chance to find out especially in two weeks when I have 4 nights in Alcova booked. Grey reef and Fremont canyon. It’s going to be fucking cold and windy lol, I’m am idiot, but my son is game and I know we’ll be rewarded if it doesn’t snow us out. I’ll definitely let you know how we do. I’ll add a pic from last year.

Tomorrow I’ll be somewhere on the south platte.

I’m excited about the reel too, trying a large arbor with drag that actually works….

John, I hope things change and you can get out more. I’m going to fish as much as I can this year.

Why can I only upload 40kb pics??
    You made the right choice then. I’m sure the Asquith is nice, but I feel like owning the most expensive rod in fly fishing would be too much pressure

That sounds like a rad trip and a great opportunity to work on that double-haul. That’s a real nice rainbow, cool dark colors
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #194
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Right on. That clears things up.

What other fish are you targeting from the boat?
    I live a couple miles from Lake Champlain, which has an abundance of fishes. The Bassmaster Elite series comes up here a lot, so is obviously full of really nice large/smallmouth. Loaded with lake trout, monster northern pike, a nice population of land locked salmon. The rivers that run into the lake are full of bass, northerns, and walleye. Some nice spots to catch big crappie in the inlets and bays. Lot of perch too, but not something I specifically target. It just depends on the time of year, water temps and such, what we decide to go after, I really love bass fishing though. Nothing better than early morning / late evening top water action in the summer!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #195
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You made the right choice then. I’m sure the Asquith is nice, but I feel like owning the most expensive rod in fly fishing would be too much pressure

That sounds like a rad trip and a great opportunity to work on that double-haul. That’s a real nice rainbow, cool dark colors
    Red rock worm (pic) followed by a pine squirrel leech.

Maybe a foam back rS2

Super easy flies too. And when they get on the leech you can drag them in pretty good without fear of losing them. Though they will snap off.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpeg D9896693-A579-495A-8634-C88044ADC0FE.jpeg (73.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Climb2safety; 03-11-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #196
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

I might have asked you both before, but do either of you do your own tying? That is something I think I could get into if I ever got really into fly fishing.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #197
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I might have asked you both before, but do either of you do your own tying? That is something I think I could get into if I ever got really into fly fishing.
    I tie a ton, maybe all but 3 or 4 flies throughout all of my boxes were bought

I like that fly C2S, I believe in utilitarian flies. Any trout that doesn’t eat my fly bc I used 5 coq de leon fibers instead of 3, I don’t want to catch to begin with
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #198
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I live a couple miles from Lake Champlain, which has an abundance of fishes. The Bassmaster Elite series comes up here a lot, so is obviously full of really nice large/smallmouth. Loaded with lake trout, monster northern pike, a nice population of land locked salmon. The rivers that run into the lake are full of bass, northerns, and walleye. Some nice spots to catch big crappie in the inlets and bays. Lot of perch too, but not something I specifically target. It just depends on the time of year, water temps and such, what we decide to go after, I really love bass fishing though. Nothing better than early morning / late evening top water action in the summer!
    Wow. Great to love so close to that water. Amazing.

Seems like you need a lot of knowledge and experience to fish that water. Can you throw a fly at those bass? I’ve stripped streamers for small mouth before, fun fun.

I’d love to see some catches.

In 1995 when I was spin casting I landed a 34” mackinaw on a spin rod from a reservoir out here. Biggest fresh water fish I’ve landed.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #199
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    I tie a ton, maybe all but 3 or 4 flies throughout all of my boxes were bought

I like that fly C2S, I believe in utilitarian flies. Any trout that doesn’t eat my fly bc I used 5 coq de leon fibers instead of 3, I don’t want to catch to begin with
    Respect Tramp. I’m the opposite.

I built a trying table and tie zebra midges, San Juan worms, squirmy wormies, and annelids like pig stickers. Very remedial stuff.

I shop the internet and buy flies at $.99 to $1.50 each usually so try to avoid flyshop prices but I will buy occasionally from the local shop especially I’m getting advice.

I have way too many flies, I’m a hoarder.

I recently bought these two patterns to try out. Flies are getting so realistic I though I’d try a few.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpeg 78C7186B-B7F2-4347-B14E-BA5B7220C4A7.jpeg (74.1 KB, 5 views)
    File Type: jpeg 00B8106E-2E34-49DA-BBD8-7D9CDFDC9D12.jpeg (18.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Climb2safety; 03-11-2022 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 03-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #200
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

You guys ever go up to the Nipigon? Or heard of it?

I was watching this video and it seems like a dream trip.

https://youtu.be/q6R_wWy1_ko

Old 03-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #201
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Respect Tramp. I’m the opposite.

I built a trying table and tie zebra midges, San Juan worms, squirmy wormies, and annelids like pig stickers. Very remedial stuff.

I shop the internet and buy flies at $.99 to $1.50 each usually so try to avoid flyshop prices but I will buy occasionally from the local shop especially I’m getting advice.

I have way too many flies, I’m a hoarder.

I recently bought these two patterns to try out. Flies are getting so realistic I though I’d try a few.
    If you had to pick a few those are good patterns to crank out! No plastic worms in my box though

I love seeing what people can do. Some are on another level
    Old 03-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #202
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you had to pick a few those are good patterns to crank out! No plastic worms in my box though

I love seeing what people can do. Some are on another level
    I tried squirmies when they first came out but haven’t tied on one in years in a river. They don’t work.

And they don’t hold up at all.

I bet though John could drop one 6 feet deep off his boat with a bobber and get a big fish. I have used them in lakes and they work.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #203
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You guys ever go up to the Nipigon? Or heard of it?

I was watching this video and it seems like a dream trip.

https://youtu.be/q6R_wWy1_ko
    I have not fly fished outside of the Midwest (MO and AR ozarks, driftless, NE Sandhills) and Eastern TN. Looks incredible tho
    Old 03-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #204
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I tried squirmies when they first came out but haven’t tied on one in years in a river. They don’t work.

And they don’t hold up at all.

I bet though John could drop one 6 feet deep off his boat with a bobber and get a big fish. I have used them in lakes and they work.
    They are actually a bitch to tie with thread cutting the material and the plastic not being compatible with many head cements.

Mad jealous of John’s lake situation
    Old 03-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #205
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are actually a bitch to tie with thread cutting the material and the plastic not being compatible with many head cements.

Mad jealous of John’s lake situation
    I appreciate your purest nature.

We did see some beautiful rainbows staging on redds a few weeks ago and it took a lot to keep walking.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #206
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I appreciate your purest nature.

We did see some beautiful rainbows staging on redds a few weeks ago and it took a lot to keep walking.
    Oh I am not above throwing glo bugs if I am fishing a river with stocked fish.
    I will say that I can be a curmudgeon about certain things, and fishing redds is one of them
    Old 03-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #207
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. Great to love so close to that water. Amazing.

Seems like you need a lot of knowledge and experience to fish that water. Can you throw a fly at those bass? I’ve stripped streamers for small mouth before, fun fun.

I’d love to see some catches.

In 1995 when I was spin casting I landed a 34” mackinaw on a spin rod from a reservoir out here. Biggest fresh water fish I’ve landed.
    I’m sure I’ve shared a lot of these before.

Salmon: https://i.imgur.com/443EUFp.jpg
    Pike: https://i.imgur.com/Vvv0dG6.jpg
    Bass: https://i.imgur.com/tesI7ZE.jpg
    Lake Trout: https://i.imgur.com/qx0YFTi.jpg
    Just some cool fishing pics: https://i.imgur.com/F5NJUCl.jpg

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 03-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #208
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Well apparently I only linked single pics…Should be fixed

Pike: https://imgur.com/a/VZLGeLJ
    Bass: https://imgur.com/a/4Uyd9Gi
    Lakers: https://imgur.com/a/8t5TLcX
    Randos: https://imgur.com/a/YZWdSVr

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!

Last edited by prdstmnky36; 03-11-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    Old 03-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #209
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Very nice.

Catch, clean, and cook?

Old 03-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #210
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

The lake trout and salmon absolutely! We throw back most bass and northern, I take a few home each year.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!