the (2021) summer so far - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

the (2021) summer so far

Curious what the ants fanbase thinks of DMB after seeing/hearing the first weekend of the summer. I'd say I was a fan in '06, first show in '08. Best show '11. No shows from late '14-early '19. (huge change is those years) But now, possibly loving this band as much as I ever have.

No doubt I missed the glory days, but curious to get an honest opinion on how well we though they played this weekend and if it's any worse than the years I missed ('15-'18)- but hopefully better?

Zero question I' started going to shows in the latter half of this bands career but optimistic I'll still catch some incredible shows! Cheers
JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Some good, bad, and ugly so far
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Some good, bad, and ugly so far
    Exactly
    (Overall)
    Yesterday good
    Tonight bad
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

This band is the best they’ve sounded in a long time.

They played two nights so far and the only repeats were the new songs.

I will say, I think Charlotte blew Raleigh out of the water.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #5
    #41#36#40

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

What bums me out is that they typically run off a 2 show set list these days.. these 40 Ish songs are going to be the core of what we get all summer.. so the come back if sweet and if only are going to be mainstays.. of course they’ll have another 10-15 that rotate through… but we just witnessed the main sets for the summer.. the next show will have 15 -18 of a blend of these 2 shows.. with 2-3 songs we didn’t hear yet .. expect LioG, ants, two step, or a CT song
    #41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Having only watched set lists and listening to yesterday’s show twice: good. Tonight’s set looked better on paper for me. I’m not sure what 403640 is seeing/hearing, maybe he was at the show who knows, but based on these two shows it looks good so far to me, not great, not disappointed, just good.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Exactly
    (Overall)
    Yesterday good
    Tonight bad
    What was bad about tonight?
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    This band is the best they’ve sounded in a long time.

They played two nights so far and the only repeats were the new songs.

I will say, I think Charlotte blew Raleigh out of the water.
    Great sets and agree with this. I was at both, and the set and energy for Charlotte was just out of this world. Amazing shows both nights, and considering the negative opinions that are prevalent here, it's nice to see someone see the good in what this weekend provided.
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

If you want to constantly criticize and be negative, you should leave.
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Setlists were different. And different is good. Can't wait for what is next after 2 days break!
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Sold out show
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #12
    The2SteppingPig

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I‘m sure I’d have fun at these shows and have been very emotional.

It’s hard to be negative about anything after almost 18 months without shows. But that setlist in Charlotte was certainly a surprise. Not what I was expecting the band to come out with this opening weekend.

When I’m there live, there’s nothing more underwhelming to me than a Shake Me closer, so if there are people who went to both shows this weekend that are disappointed with that capping off the weekend — I get it. I also get how for someone there, it just wouldn’t matter what they played. Either way, just hope it was a special time for everyone who made it out. Certainly a weekend to remember for this band and the fans.
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #13
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Yes almighty ruler by decree. Thou shalt only remark positively on the Dave Matthews band from hence forth. They shit gold and it tastes like cotton candy.
    Old 07-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #14
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The2SteppingPig View Post
    I‘m sure I’d have fun at these shows and have been very emotional.

It’s hard to be negative about anything after almost 18 months without shows. But that setlist in Charlotte was certainly a surprise. Not what I was expecting the band to come out with this opening weekend.

When I’m there live, there’s nothing more underwhelming to me than a Shake Me closer, so if there are people who went to both shows this weekend that are disappointed with that capping off the weekend — I get it. I also get how for someone there, it just wouldn’t matter what they played. Either way, just hope it was a special time for everyone who made it out. Certainly a weekend to remember for this band and the fans.
    Ye! The sets were underwhelming and essentially the same thing they were doing in 18/19 with minor adjustments.. no effort.. yet.. to get more diverse songs into the set.. compare the N1 of this tour with the Chile show from 16 where they had an awesome mix of songs and new ones.. this seemed like what they do when they have a radio or tv or festival show.. just play it safe as possible.. you know Dave wanted to do a ddtw and everyday opener and just had to talk himself out out of it.. since that typically 2 of 4 of his standard openers for big shows.

I’m grateful they’re playing and will be excited to see them.. but they dropped the ball big time on those shows. And the album and not so much as mentioning 30 years.. most bands would have had a big party.. and there was a lot to celebrate and they treated it like it was a mid tour Tuesday night in Iowa..
    Old 07-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #15
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #16
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

It does kind of taste like cotton candy. Mmmmm
    Old 07-25-2021, 12:26 AM   #17
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41#36#40 View Post
    Ye! The sets were underwhelming and essentially the same thing they were doing in 18/19 with minor adjustments.. no effort.. yet.. to get more diverse songs into the set.. compare the N1 of this tour with the Chile show from 16 where they had an awesome mix of songs and new ones.. this seemed like what they do when they have a radio or tv or festival show.. just play it safe as possible.. you know Dave wanted to do a ddtw and everyday opener and just had to talk himself out out of it.. since that typically 2 of 4 of his standard openers for big shows.

I’m grateful they’re playing and will be excited to see them.. but they dropped the ball big time on those shows. And the album and not so much as mentioning 30 years.. most bands would have had a big party.. and there was a lot to celebrate and they treated it like it was a mid tour Tuesday night in Iowa..
    I don't feel like they dropped the ball at all on these shows. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely and don't understand where the negativity is coming from.

They busted out rarities, mixed in a variety of tunes from every era, debuted a new song and had the live debut of two others we knew. People seem to forget that the band has a new base catalogue with Buddy being in the mix, and refuse to let that change happen naturally, instead pining for the days when they were literally a different group of musicians. Three tours in, and there's a solid sense of camaraderie. They are playing some DMB tunes I love and some DMB tunes that I don't mind walking around meeting all the kind people to.

I don't love everything they've ever done, just like everything else in the world. But the fact that one has to preface every convo about DMB with Dave Matthews Band 'fans' by saying something to that effect is ridiculous.

The band is doing great, and I like this new era. I am beyond happy with this weekend, with all its ups and downs, and I wish people would just let themselves enjoy an experience here instead of pick every little thing apart like DMB is a sports franchise.

Last edited by seanbrutus; 07-25-2021 at 12:27 AM.
    seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 12:57 AM   #18
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

What rarity was busted out in Raleigh?? I saw Grey for the 13th time in 20 band shows. Hello Again was the only song I’d never seen before. It wasn’t very good. But I expected it
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 01:25 AM   #19
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BearambleAmble View Post
    What rarity was busted out in Raleigh?? I saw Grey for the 13th time in 20 band shows. Hello Again was the only song I’d never seen before. It wasn’t very good. But I expected it
    3rd verse of GS, not seen since 2002.
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #20
    twosteppn36

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like a couple of stinkers on paper. Glad to hear that they played the hell out of a bunch of mediocre songs and that everyone had a great time.
    twosteppn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #21
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quick thoughts on the first weekend (pseudo 2 night run)

The Good
    Openers - #41 and Seek Up are very solid selections; would take either to open any show I go to
    Branford - as far as guests go, he is one I’m dying to see play with the band
    YNK/SUAD/Raven - all of these in 1 show is excellent. I really hope they stick around
    No non-new tune repeats! To me, that should be the expectation when you play a Friday/Saturday in venues less than 3 hours apart. I was not confident on this happening, but really happy to see it.

The Bad
    Set flow - especially N2, the set was very front loaded and the back half of the set really stalled out
    Dave’s voice - he’s still reaching for notes out of his range, particularly in new stuff. He can probably hit it in the studio, but live he is going to struggle. It’s what is making me dislike WATM - that first verse was a mess Friday; was cringing hearing him swing and miss on those vocal notes. It just seems he’s taken a completely new approach to singing and it’s lost a lot of his signature sound

The Ugly
    In 2021 (after a global pandemic and 15 months since the last show) seeing 6 Big Whiskey songs pop up in one show - 12 years after the album came out - is a big bummer, and has me reconsidering my summer plans to see the band (5 of these in the main set, and no BTCS in the main set, was more icing on the cake). Big Whiskey is a fine album. I like a lot of songs on it. But in my 28 shows since 2009, I’ve heard these same 6 songs at roughly half of all of my shows. I’m just tired of it - it’s been played to death. So that they’re still going to play these to death has me wondering if I really feel like traveling to see a show where 30% or so of it will be stuff I’ve seen a dozen+ time’s already. It’s not an insignificant expense or time commitment. I really would like to see something to indicate this tour will be different from 2018/2019.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #22
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I’m glad I decided not to see any shows this year.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #23
    lc_2000

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Live music after nothing last summer from anyone … that’s something I’m not taking for granted anymore, nor am I ever judging things on “paper” again (especially after two shows).
    lc_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #24
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lc_2000 View Post
    Live music after nothing last summer from anyone … that’s something I’m not taking for granted anymore, nor am I ever judging things on “paper” again (especially after two shows).
    Definitely agree with the bold. But, to me, DMB isn’t the only show available - I want to maximize my enjoyment of live music. So, I’m not taking it for granted, but there are many other options and I am wondering if I’m making a mistake/choosing wrong.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:05 AM   #25
    layla24mfh
    layla24mfh

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

If we play the +1/-/-1 game strictly based off set list, last night was a historically low number for me personally. I'm sure had I bought tickets and been there hearing live music in any form would have been awesome but they played a ton of songs I'd typically take a bathroom break/beer run for. Personal preference but WTWE, satellite, Y&M, Funny, If Only, space between, and Shake me are all at the bottom of what I want to hear at a DMB concert.
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #26
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by layla24mfh View Post
    If we play the +1/-/-1 game strictly based off set list, last night was a historically low number for me personally. I'm sure had I bought tickets and been there hearing live music in any form would have been awesome but they played a ton of songs I'd typically take a bathroom break/beer run for. Personal preference but WTWE, satellite, Y&M, Funny, If Only, space between, and Shake me are all at the bottom of what I want to hear at a DMB concert.
    Yeah, it’s a negative number for me which has been more and more common.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #27
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Good: stage design, no repeats, band mix, new songs

Bad: not enough top tier songs played yet, Buddy

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 07-25-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #28
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like they came out swinging with a little something for everyone. These sets are the most diverse we’ve seen in years, and while some of the tunes like You and Me or If Only may be considered a dud, I’ll take those sandwiched between some classics, new tunes and songs like Sweet Up and Down, Hello Again, Grey Street (with the fucking 3rd verse!!!), Minarets, You Never Know and Raven.

Oceans and the Butterfly is my favorite of the new ones. Sounds like DMB and they need to let Jeff run free on that one. Walk Around the Moon is not great lyrically but I’m going to give that one some time. Grey Street sounds better than it has in years. Buddy even played a bit of Boyd’s line at the end! They played it with control and dynamics and it wasn’t the wall of sound it’s been for 10 years. They could probably call the tour quits right now and I’d be satisfied with that alone.

All in all I think people are crazy to complain about these first two sets. They literally do what the fans want, “bring back rarities! Mix up the sets! Bring back the third verse! Slow things down and quit with the wall of sound!” and yet here we are watching the whining and complaining start after two shows. Are there things they could have done different? Sure, but this is a band that has 30 years of music history behind them. They aren’t going to hone in on every classic Before These Crowded Streets song or rarity to please the couple hundred whiney fans from Ants. Oh, and not sure if anyone else noticed but……..they didn’t play Jimi Thing all freaking weekend!!!
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #29
    DaveKazz

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Having only listened to the first show (with a bad mix from Sirius) and seeing Charlotte's setlist without hearing it or being there, I think I'm pretty excited about where this is going.

They haven't played together on stage for 18 months, still have a relatively new band member replacing a key sound / instrument in the fiddle, are all getting older and have been touring for 30 years.

These are not excuses, they are real obstacles to keep up the A+++ performances.

That being said I think it only gets better from here, and it was pretty damn good this weekend. They will get tighter with more energy. Maybe we should be grading the crowd because in my experience, that's been the worst part of DMB the last 3 years.

Oh, and after listening to Walk Around The Moon 10 times, I think it's going to be a great tune. The Siruius mix made it sound way worse than it was on the tape, and it's only going to get better as the tour rolls on.

Count me in as excited. They're clearly putting in real effort on this one.
    DaveKazz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #30
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I said before the tour started that this year will be different. I still think it will be.

We’ve had two shows for crying out loud. At least give it the Florida swing before thinking on it.

Here’s to the next few shows and what it could bring.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote