Does Dave still have a drinking problem? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #91
ercajakejo

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Does Dave still have a drinking problem?

You can’t accurately characterize someone if you don’t know them. Your perception of Jerry Garcia or Dave has nothing to do with what they are really like in real life. You should mind your own business and try to get your own real life and not post your opinions about people who are dead and you know nothing about. I went to over 100 Desd concerts with Jerry and he was never drunk. I’ve never seen Dave drunk on stage, we all like to get fucked up for concerts so what is your problem and who are you to judge?

Last edited by ercajakejo; 10-23-2021 at 01:59 PM.
ercajakejo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #92
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I think the heavy drinking went away when he had his kids. Being a parent changed everything. He still likes to drink of course, but he seems sober most of the time when performing.

I think he plays up a lot of the "davespeak" these days
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #93
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ercajakejo View Post
    You can’t accurately characterize someone if you don’t know them. Your perception of Jerry Garcia or Dave has nothing to do with what they are really like in real life. You should mind your own business and try to get your own real life and not post your opinions about people who are dead and you know nothing about. I went to over 100 Desd concerts with Jerry and he was never drunk. I’ve never seen Dave drunk on stage, we all like to get fucked up for concerts so what is your problem and who are you to judge?

this is ridiculous
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #94
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Now, you tell me if this is something you don’t want to get into — and this could entirely be based on my misreading between the lines — but going back and reading old articles about you over the years, there were a conspicuous amount of references to drinking. Sometimes those references were playful and sometimes they weren’t. So the question occurred to me: Has alcohol ever been a problem?
    I’ve had a lot more drinking in my life than I would’ve if my job hadn’t put me in an environment where everybody was celebrating drinking. All the years we played clubs and frats — every single night we would be drinking and doing whatever else was happening. I still drink, and I keep my center better. I do worry about destroying my mind sometimes.

How’s that?
    By anyone else’s standards but my own I am a raging alcoholic.

The way you said that — I can’t tell how serious you’re being.
    I mean, I’m talking about the amount I drink. But if I don’t have a drink for a month, I don’t — it’s harder for me to give up bread than it is to give up alcohol. But I like a drink. I grew up in an extended family that likes to drink. My mom, she enjoys a glass of wine or some whisky, but she’s quite moderate relative to my uncles — South Africans are pretty big drinkers. I’ve seen a lot of people around me go sober. The fish always gets bigger when they tell their drinking stories again, but I understand that as well.

Sometimes people need exaggeration in order to make sense of their lives.
    That’s right — however you can move forward. A lot of people deal with [drinking] beautifully and a lot of people struggle with it. But I worry. I don’t drink like I used to, I don’t think. But I like wine. I like the culture of it. I’ve pulled back, but I like it at the same time. I like it.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/05/dave...versation.html
    Old 10-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #95
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First third of that last sentence...some of us have. It's not the end of the world. In our case it didn't seem to negatively affect his performance.

To the second third of that same sentence...that's pure assumption. I do not enjoy being drunk or altered at shows. I'm there for the music. And at the best shows, that's where I get and find my high.

To the last third...it's seems clear to me that people here love Dave and it's more about concern than judgement. If, however, he was regularly drunk AND the performance suffered for it, we (the folks paying to see the shows and all related expenses) would have every right to complain and judge. Not sure anyone would disagree with that, but I'm sure someone here will.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #96
    jffagan

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Clearly you guys don't see him with is running coach as well as the running he does at each venue. Dave is in great shape and is taking care of himself probably better than most of us.
    jffagan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2021, 03:19 AM   #97
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick45 View Post
    My son is autistic. I am a physician. Couch speculation glazes over so, so much. The original thread was discussing alcohol use.
    I’m not trying to pick a fight on the internet. All I’m saying is that, there are some huge inferences being made here. I don’t pretend to walk in your shoes, but there is a major difference between what internet folk call the spectrum and clinically relevant disease. To act like they are the same is not right IMO. Obviously I have some bias. Life is hard and this whole thing probably triggered me more than it should have.
    ❤️ LOVE❤️
    Well said. Dave maybe on some sort of spectrum like many musicians and other extremely creative talent and smart people that are famous. Many of them are wired differently than what we consider “normal” but that’s also why they’re brilliant. It doesn’t necessarily put them on the spectrum that is being referred to here
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #98
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Lol. If you don’t think he is fucked up there you must be blind. No offense.
    Not drunk, definitely high though.

But as far as drinking before a show, I don't know what show it's from because it was on that DaveSpeak compilation DreamingTree used to have, but he talks about seeing the Pogues:

"I don’t normally drink before the shows because I don’t work. These guys walked on stage completely shitfaced, these guys were so shitfaced they couldn’t walk. They were falling out on stage, but they know how to deal with the drink. A lot of people, like me, they get hosed and then they can’t do shit. They went on stage, falling up, walks up to the stage and goes “gkshfjskdhfgslhfgjkdshdjcdww 12 fuck you” and they just bust into the baddest jam. And it was flying! And they were tight! I was like “look at that shit” If I was to go out on stage half drunk I’d be like this: (sings super slow and all over the place, pretends to get distracted, goes back to singing song, slurs “iiiI lOVe bUSHch lighT!"
    Old 10-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #99
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is... something
    Old 10-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #100
    archaeolady
    dmblvr55

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I suppose I'm re-awakening this thread just to shine some light on neurodiversity. I know that it's quite common for folks to say "on the spectrum" and it's also really limiting language. Neurodiversity isn't a spectrum - that reflects a linear progression from less --> more of something. But there are so many factors that make up *each one of our* neurology. The diversity we see in folks with autism is so varied. Here's a link to a graphic that illustrates this better than I might be able to explain: https://themighty.com/2020/03/autism-spectrum-wheel/

So, if someone were to say, "dave is neurodiverse" I wouldn't really think twice, because it's the diversity that makes someone inclined to practice really hard at something, learn every detail about a topic, be SUPER talented at a skill or creative outlet, or have trouble with lighting, sound, textures, etc. Most geniuses are not neurotypical.

Ask yourself: do you chew on your pen or pencil when you're thinking? Do you shake your leg at the table you're sitting at sometimes? Do you play with your hair or like to chew gum? Those are stims. Stims help folks regulate their nervous systems. If you look closely at your behavior, you'll find the stims that you see as second nature to you. That's your neurodiversity. Though, I don't see Dave's hand movements as stims as much as they are movements that help him uncramp his hands from the unique way he plays.

Anyway, I came on here because I think some people felt defensive over the idea that Dave could be autistic. I don't think folks would have the same vibes over his neurodiversity.

I work with young adults with autism and developmental disability and it has helped me notice my own neurodiversity as well as others who seem quite neurotypical.
    archaeolady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #101
    archaeolady
    dmblvr55

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Do you know who WAS drunk on stage, though? Neil Young at the 01 Charlottesville shows. RIGHT?!
    archaeolady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #102
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by archaeolady View Post
    I suppose I'm re-awakening this thread just to shine some light on neurodiversity. I know that it's quite common for folks to say "on the spectrum" and it's also really limiting language. Neurodiversity isn't a spectrum - that reflects a linear progression from less --> more of something. But there are so many factors that make up *each one of our* neurology. The diversity we see in folks with autism is so varied. Here's a link to a graphic that illustrates this better than I might be able to explain: https://themighty.com/2020/03/autism-spectrum-wheel/

So, if someone were to say, "dave is neurodiverse" I wouldn't really think twice, because it's the diversity that makes someone inclined to practice really hard at something, learn every detail about a topic, be SUPER talented at a skill or creative outlet, or have trouble with lighting, sound, textures, etc. Most geniuses are not neurotypical.

Ask yourself: do you chew on your pen or pencil when you're thinking? Do you shake your leg at the table you're sitting at sometimes? Do you play with your hair or like to chew gum? Those are stims. Stims help folks regulate their nervous systems. If you look closely at your behavior, you'll find the stims that you see as second nature to you. That's your neurodiversity. Though, I don't see Dave's hand movements as stims as much as they are movements that help him uncramp his hands from the unique way he plays.

Anyway, I came on here because I think some people felt defensive over the idea that Dave could be autistic. I don't think folks would have the same vibes over his neurodiversity.

I work with young adults with autism and developmental disability and it has helped me notice my own neurodiversity as well as others who seem quite neurotypical.
    Thanks for a really thoughtful, informative post. It's a really useful viewpoint you help us have here.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #103
    nick45
    1st Time Caller

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    Thanks for a really thoughtful, informative post. It's a really useful viewpoint you help us have here.
    Every time I log on and see this thread still on page 1, I cringe. But the fact that it led to this post makes me very happy. I learned something which changed my perspective and will probably use the information for a long time. The interweb is a wild place man :-)

Last edited by nick45; 11-05-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #104
    rain delay

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe Dave is drinking.. he's writing good songs again.
    rain delay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #105
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

how was this not locked on page 1
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #106
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikkidmb View Post
    how was this not locked on page 1
    The added contribution by archaeolady made this thread a bit more savory and informative. So this has merit.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #107
    BrokenThings#41

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty sure he does not.. just based on how strong his voice is sounding currently.. drunks in their 50s don’t sing well..unless you’re a pirate or a hobo
    BrokenThings#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #108
    BrokenThings#41

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think he’s hungover from MSG today? Or just on a bender and we won’t hear from him until Mexico?
    BrokenThings#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2021, 04:48 AM   #109
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

can we lock this already?
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #110
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkClouds View Post
    He looks healthier than ever in my opinion... I hope I look that good in my 50's! AND still drink... Look at him from like 2009.. He has a beer belly and his face is all fat... Now he's shredded, and looks younger and yet older at the same time.. Can't help the loss of hair and wrinkles I suppose...

I think he's drinking right now somewhere is my guess.
    Calling Dave Matthews "shredded" is a bit much, don't ya think? Lol.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote