DMB Vinyl Releases - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
Redford Stevens

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Vinyl Releases

Quote:
The problem is that the LP60 is struggling to track through very dynamic passages (comparatively, to your other albums). It just happens that there's also a warp, but it isn't the warp causing the playback issue.
Thanks for that explanation. It makes sense and helps me to understand!
Redford Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #32
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Thanks Carson! I'll put together an updated list. Some interesting notes. The other difficult thing is whether jacket numbers actually correspond with press counts (in the case of RR95 and Luther College, specifically). It's hard to say if jacket #3,500 means there was actually #3,500 albums pressed, or still the strict #3,000 but a lot of scrapped jackets/boxes. To your point, we'll probably never know.

Interesting note on Live25...
    Yeah I have no idea how you'd ever figure that out without visual access to every copy ever pressed. If it were possible Chad probably would have done it already. My guess is the discrepancy in numbers between what we see with jackets and what is announced by RSD is likely the difference in what they distribute vs the total run.

We'll see what the future holds but I have a hunch Music Today / Warehouse has a cache of vinyl rarities.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #33
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    Yeah I have no idea how you'd ever figure that out without visual access to every copy ever pressed. If it were possible Chad probably would have done it already. My guess is the discrepancy in numbers between what we see with jackets and what is announced by RSD is likely the difference in what they distribute vs the total run.

We'll see what the future holds but I have a hunch Music Today / Warehouse has a cache of vinyl rarities.
    They almost definitely do (and FWIW, a lot of vinyl retailers have done this as of late, and they generally sell them at a mark-up)...I'm just waiting for the day MoFi "finds" a few extra copies of the One-Step Abraxas

Also, on DDTW 12", so we think now that the press count is ~70 (50 with the'?' and 20 with the reaction sheet?)

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #34
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They almost definitely do (and FWIW, a lot of vinyl retailers have done this as of late, and they generally sell them at a mark-up)...I'm just waiting for the day MoFi "finds" a few extra copies of the One-Step Abraxas

Also, on DDTW 12", so we think now that the press count is ~70 (50 with the'?' and 20 with the reaction sheet?)
    That's exactly what I was thinking. "We were cleaning out the Warehouse when we found these cases of ..." I think they've even used that line when they've found extra posters.

As for DDTW I'm thinking it has to be at least 70 copies but I tend to think it could be more. As far as I know there were many different BMG reps throughout Europe that were doing promotion for DMB / BTCS during and leading up to the 98 Europe tour. Basically every country had at least 1 BMG rep promoting DMB. For context, a DDTW promo CD might have upwards of 10 variants, each with a different BMG phone number & email on the back.

The "?" press release was issued by the UK BMG rep. The German BMG rep included a reaction sheet with the copies he distributed. That rep numbered every copy he sent and I've seen numbers 8 and 20. So there could be more. Probably not a bunch more though. And is it possible the Danish BMG rep sent a couple copies to his influencers, or the Italian rep to his influencers? Definitely. To definitively answer that question we'd need to find the person who, in conjunction with BrainStorm Music Marketing, was behind the creation of the DDTW 12" single. Whomever was the lead promotional / marketing rep for DMB in Europe in 1998 might know.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #35
    dmb31fan

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I would be so fucking stoked if they "re-released" the live trax shows and Live 25. I got into the hobby about a year and a half ago so I missed all the fun releases from this band. But at least I got to experience Live at the Hollywood Bowl!.....
    dmb31fan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #36
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

There's also the Europe 2009 vinyl release... https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Matthew...lease/12860749

Any idea why it's only $40 for a 5LP set? https://www.amazon.com/Europe-2009-L...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Last edited by dancheatham; 01-08-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    dancheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2020, 03:42 AM   #37
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancheatham View Post
    There's also the Europe 2009 vinyl release... https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Matthew...lease/12860749

Any idea why it's only $40 for a 5LP set? https://www.amazon.com/Europe-2009-L...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Ah shit I forgot another (and I have them all)

It's actually 5LPs and 3 CDs. Decent deal at that price. It's an okay set. Really only worth it for that Dreaming Tree, or any nostalgia anyone might have for the Big Whiskey years.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #38
    jl1982

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I’m selling Live Trax 1-3 RSD (numbered colored versions). All factory sealed. LT 3 is #3/1000. PM me for more details if interested.
    jl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #39
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb31fan View Post
    I would be so fucking stoked if they "re-released" the live trax shows and Live 25. I got into the hobby about a year and a half ago so I missed all the fun releases from this band. But at least I got to experience Live at the Hollywood Bowl!.....

Live25 is not a good idea. It upset the fans. Best to just move on.

Nobody likes a fun little release. People complained it took too long to sell out, so there's probably not much of a market for it anyway.
    Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #40
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jl1982 View Post
    I’m selling Live Trax 1-3 RSD (numbered colored versions). All factory sealed. LT 3 is #3/1000. PM me for more details if interested.

Factory sealed? You mean fans on this site bought records to not listen to them? I didn't think that happened around here.
    Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #41
    jl1982

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Factory sealed? You mean fans on this site bought records to not listen to them? I didn't think that happened around here.

Haha, I also have the black versions
    jl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #42
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Hilly is such a bad troll.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #43
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

So I got an Ion Audio Belt Drive DJ Turntable (Air LP) for Christmas and picked up RR95 this week and I'm having the strangest issue. When I go to play side C, nothing happens. I hear the turntable trying to spin, but it's not spinning. I turn it over, and side D plays. Same for G, no play and H will play. Has this happened to anyone else?

I do hear some pops and skipping on Seek Up, but that's minimal to this.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #44
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

I should note, I don't have this issues with any other records, just the RR95 set.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #45
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    So I got an Ion Audio Belt Drive DJ Turntable (Air LP) for Christmas and picked up RR95 this week and I'm having the strangest issue. When I go to play side C, nothing happens. I hear the turntable trying to spin, but it's not spinning. I turn it over, and side D plays. Same for G, no play and H will play. Has this happened to anyone else?

I do hear some pops and skipping on Seek Up, but that's minimal to this.

Unfortunately it's definitely an issue with the table.

Ion's are largely on the same level as Crosley, LP60, etc. It's prone to quality issues, playback failure, and even when functioning 100% perfectly is going to struggle tracking dynamic passages.

Are you still within the return window?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #46
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Unfortunately it's definitely an issue with the table.

Ion's are largely on the same level as Crosley, LP60, etc. It's prone to quality issues, playback failure, and even when functioning 100% perfectly is going to struggle tracking dynamic passages.

Are you still within the return window?
    Not sure, but at the same time not really looking to spend more either. This was a gift to get started. That's a shame, what's the best entry level table that's not going to have these kinds of issues? What could even cause that to happen when one side will play and the other will not?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #47
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Not sure, but at the same time not really looking to spend more either. This was a gift to get started. That's a shame, what's the best entry level table that's not going to have these kinds of issues? What could even cause that to happen when one side will play and the other will not?

For the price these go (~$100) I'd highly encourage anyone to look at vintage tables (either at a local record store or via craigslist). That's where you're going to get the best bang for your buck. You want to find something that has good build quality and also has adjustable tracking force (which the Ions, AT LP60s, Crosleys, etc lack and cause the various tracking issues).

If you're wanting something new, I'd recommend the U-Turn Orbit Basic, which runs ~$180. I'm not sure what the rest of your setup includes, but it's likely you'd need a phono pre-amp as well (unless your receiver or speakers have one built in).

As far as what is happening to prevent one side from spinning...it's hard to say without looking. It could be an issue of the weight of the vinyl is too heavy for the belt/motor? And that maybe the distribution of weight is slightly different (minor warp) on one side? I really don't know. But there's nothing that could be a defect in a record that would make the turntable's platter not spin

Last edited by BTBaboon; 01-17-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    Old 01-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #48
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For the price these go (~$100) I'd highly encourage anyone to look at vintage tables (either at a local record store or via craigslist). That's where you're going to get the best bang for your buck. You want to find something that has good build quality and also has adjustable tracking force (which the Ions, AT LP60s, Crosleys, etc lack and cause the various tracking issues).

If you're wanting something new, I'd recommend the U-Turn Orbit Basic, which runs ~$180. I'm not sure what the rest of your setup includes, but it's likely you'd need a phono pre-amp as well (unless your receiver or speakers have one built in).

As far as what is happening to prevent one side from spinning...it's hard to say without looking. It could be an issue of the weight of the vinyl is too heavy for the belt/motor? And that maybe the distribution of weight is slightly different (minor warp) on one side? I really don't know. But there's nothing that could be a defect in a record that would make the turntable's platter not spin
    Thanks, yeah, certainly didn't think it was the record itself. Was hoping for a brighter outlook than a new table but alas...well, at least I'll have it when I upgrade later down the line.

Crash plays fine and sounds amazing.

Last edited by snow1868; 01-17-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #49
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Most interested in getting the following:

UTTAD
    RR95
    Live at Luther

Are there any pressings to avoid or seek out? Any place to buy that's better than others? I try to buy local as much as possible but my record store only had Crash and CT last time I went.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #50
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

There's nothing too exciting about UTTAD unless you're getting the mispress or the numbered edition (with the booklet). My copy has nothing wrong with it and I have the standard release. Go for it!

As for the other two, I don't own those so I can't speak for them, however I am looking at purchasing them as well, so we'll see.

I'm also interested in purchasing LT5 (black or pink, don't care which.) Is it worth shelling out the cash? Any pressing defects?
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.

Last edited by haiku.warrior; 01-23-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #51
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Just looking to expand my DMB collection. Once RLM figure their shit out I'll be buying BTCS on vinyl too.

LT1, 2, 3, & 5 are all worthy of being added too. Those are some of my favorite live releases. Especially 3 & 5.
    Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #52
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    LT1, 2, 3, & 5 are all worthy of being added too. Those are some of my favorite live releases. Especially 3 & 5.
    Honestly, couldn't agree more. I had my eye on LT3 that was an auction on EBay, but that didn't quite work out...
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #53
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Most interested in getting the following:

UTTAD
    RR95
    Live at Luther

Are there any pressings to avoid or seek out? Any place to buy that's better than others? I try to buy local as much as possible but my record store only had Crash and CT last time I went.
    No pressings to avoid, and there's really only 1 pressing of all of them. UTTAD has a "reissue" which is just on 150g vinyl (vs 180g) and in a single-pocket jacket instead of gatefold. Vinyl weight doesn't impact sound quality, so there'll be no audible difference. For RR95 & Luther, there were colored vinyl releases for Record Store Day, but the black vinyl are from the same stampers and pressing plant. No defects reported. So buy whichever you find at a price you're comfortable. Both UTTAD and RR95 were cut by Chris Bellman (UTTAD was mastered by Ted Jensen, but Bellman cut the lacquer, with RR95 Bellman mastered and cut). UTTAD sounds pretty good, though going all analog would have been WAY better. RR95 is about as good as I've heard it. Luther College was cut by Kevin Gray and sounds great. Bellman and Gray are among the best in the business, so that's a huge plus. All were pressed at MPO, and pressing quality appears good across the board.

If local/independent is your thing but your local doesn't have them in stock, you can ask if they'll order it for you (most place can do that no problem). If you don't want to go that route but still want to support small business, go with Bullmoose:

UTTAD ($25), RR95 ($78), Luther ($78)

And then there's always Amazon if you decide price is a bigger factor than local/independent:

UTTAD ($20), RR95 ($60), Luther ($55)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    I'm also interested in purchasing LT5 (black or pink, don't care which.) Is it worth shelling out the cash? Any pressing defects?
    If you like the set and the recording, LT5 is nice. No defects that I've seen.

Quote:
    Just looking to expand my DMB collection. Once RLM figure their shit out I'll be buying BTCS on vinyl too.
    It's not an RLM issue from what I can tell.

Quote:
    LT3 is probably the best sounding of the bunch on wax.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #54
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

What a response. thank you!
    Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #55
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    19. Recently 10" - 4,000
    Bit late, but it is definitely more than this number. My copy is No. 5418.

Edit: Just upread, yeah, turns out this is already known. Woops.

Last edited by haiku.warrior; 01-25-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    Old 01-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #56
    Jsc6545

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No pressings to avoid, and there's really only 1 pressing of all of them. UTTAD has a "reissue" which is just on 150g vinyl (vs 180g) and in a single-pocket jacket instead of gatefold. Vinyl weight doesn't impact sound quality, so there'll be no audible difference. For RR95 & Luther, there were colored vinyl releases for Record Store Day, but the black vinyl are from the same stampers and pressing plant. No defects reported. So buy whichever you find at a price you're comfortable. Both UTTAD and RR95 were cut by Chris Bellman (UTTAD was mastered by Ted Jensen, but Bellman cut the lacquer, with RR95 Bellman mastered and cut). UTTAD sounds pretty good, though going all analog would have been WAY better. RR95 is about as good as I've heard it. Luther College was cut by Kevin Gray and sounds great. Bellman and Gray are among the best in the business, so that's a huge plus. All were pressed at MPO, and pressing quality appears good across the board.

If local/independent is your thing but your local doesn't have them in stock, you can ask if they'll order it for you (most place can do that no problem). If you don't want to go that route but still want to support small business, go with Bullmoose:

UTTAD ($25), RR95 ($78), Luther ($78)

And then there's always Amazon if you decide price is a bigger factor than local/independent:

UTTAD ($20), RR95 ($60), Luther ($55)

If you like the set and the recording, LT5 is nice. No defects that I've seen.

It's not an RLM issue from what I can tell.

LT3 is probably the best sounding of the bunch on wax.
    what about RTT?
    Jsc6545 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #57
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jsc6545 View Post
    what about RTT?
    Whatever version you get (gatefold/numbered or single pocket) are both really solid. No defects to my knowledge. Killer album in general.
    Old 05-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #58
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Any guesses on what the next release on vinyl will be? Listener Supported, perhaps?

IF we get Before These Crowded Streets, maybe they'll just release it at the same time as Everyday and Busted Stuff (like what Pearl Jam did from No Code onward. Just all at once, instead of doing 20th anniversary releases.)
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #59
    Gjimmy

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Seems like the band/management just lost interest in doing the 20th anniversary releases. Or maybe they don't want to diminish the value of the original BTCS discs out there.

Still so pissed at myself for not buying a BTCS vinyl copy when I saw it at Virgin Megastore in like 1999.
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #60
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Any guesses on what the next release on vinyl will be? Listener Supported, perhaps?

IF we get Before These Crowded Streets, maybe they'll just release it at the same time as Everyday and Busted Stuff (like what Pearl Jam did from No Code onward. Just all at once, instead of doing 20th anniversary releases.)
    probably another Live Trax
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote