**Official O.A.R. Thread** - Page 43 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > Chat Threads
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #1261
baltimoredmb

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official O.A.R. Thread**

saw them at merriweather last weekend, pretty good show they put on.
6/27/08 Hershey
7/24/09 hershey, 8/8/09 nissan
baltimoredmb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #1262
    1eyed_jack
    since 1984

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt15 View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]I Just think OAR has grown up.

i just checked their setlist page and they played crazy game o poker four of their last four shows. they haven't grown up
    1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #1263
    MGH4007
    dim5

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baltimoredmb View Post
    saw them at merriweather last weekend, pretty good show they put on.

by pretty good show you mean, pretty bad, right?

all jokes aside, o.a.r. is a pretty....bad band.

seriously though, I really do the band because I don't go to their shows or listen to their music anymore.

o.a.r.o.a.r.o.a.r.
    Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #1264
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

i used to listen to oar back in 8/9th grade. outgrew that phase. i hear hey girl on the radio at work a good amount, and just think about how horrible it is.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #1265
    achota33
    Deer Creek

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
    i just checked their setlist page and they played crazy game o poker four of their last four shows. they haven't grown up
    it is getting pretty old having to hear poker, hey girl, heard the world, and love and memories at every single show. i don't think that neccesarily means that they haven't grown up. granted some people (alot actually) that go to their shows only know those 4 songs. and those are usually the drunk 16 year olds that try pushing their way to the front. but regardless, if you listen to a show of theirs from 99 and a show from today, it is a world of difference, and for the better imo. they've all gotten a lot better at their instruments. and they're in a damn rock band, theyve sold out madison square garden, what do they need to grow up for?
    Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #1266
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achota33 View Post

it is getting pretty old having to hear poker, hey girl, heard the world, and love and memories at every single show. i don't think that neccesarily means that they haven't grown up. granted some people (alot actually) that go to their shows only know those 4 songs. and those are usually the drunk 16 year olds that try pushing their way to the front. but regardless, if you listen to a show of theirs from 99 and a show from today, it is a world of difference, and for the better imo. they've all gotten a lot better at their instruments. and they're in a damn rock band, theyve sold out madison square garden, what do they need to grow up for?
    Add Black Rock to the list.

I hate the argument that they sold out MSG. What does that have to do with anything? Hannah Montana could sell out big venues, it doesn't mean anything.
    Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #1267
    achota33
    Deer Creek

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Add Black Rock to the list.

I hate the argument that they sold out MSG. What does that have to do with anything? Hannah Montana could sell out big venues, it doesn't mean anything.
    im just saying that obviously they're doing something right. it seems that everyone who is bashing them has at least been to a few shows or used to really like them, as i recall you did. maybe i still like them just because im still in college and they have good drinking music. maybe ill grow out of them as i get older. but for now, they're good in my book.
    Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #1268
    s0628711

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

My brother's goin tonight, Saturday, and Sunday. I try to like them, and I do like their live MSG release a little bit, but it doesn't have the same playback quality to me that DMB possesses.
    s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #1269
    jwyatt15
    I like turtles

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well if you really check, they have played Poker probably 203 times out of the last 203 shows. That doesn't have a damn thing to do with growing up. If you would have read earlier in my post, you would have seen that I wished OAR would shelve Poker for a good while and stand on without it.
    I also said that they have grown up with the example of their evolving sound. That was the meaning.

GREAT argument though

Are you satisfied with fucking? -DM
    jwyatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #1270
    icanfeeltherain
    Sit Fly

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    not playing poker at an oar show is like if Buffett didnt play margaritaville
    icanfeeltherain is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #1271
    Sou1 So1di3r
    Augustana

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

O.A.R. is diminishing with me. I would probably not see them again for a while unless it was

A. Free like STL

B. Super cheap and convenient. Like at my school
    Sou1 So1di3r is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #1272
    CamCam176
    Charlie

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sou1 So1di3r View Post
    O.A.R. is diminishing with me. I would probably not see them again for a while unless it was

A. Free like STL

B. Super cheap and convenient. Like at my school
    Because they suck total dick.
    These men suck at making music.
    CamCam176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1273
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    im just saying that obviously they're doing something right. it seems that everyone who is bashing them has at least been to a few shows or used to really like them, as i recall you did. maybe i still like them just because im still in college and they have good drinking music. maybe ill grow out of them as i get older. but for now, they're good in my book.
    Used to LOVE them. I'm actually still in school (Northern Illinois actually) but don't like them anymore like I used to. I guess I've just grown out of them for the most part. I will very rarely turn on one song, but for the most part, I don't. I've been to a LOT of O.A.R. shows.
    Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #1274
    bc8109
    All in a day's dream

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I was able to see O.A.R. 3 different times, one of them was the MSG show a few years back and another was at my school. MSG was incredible. I was in love with the band at that point in time and they really tore the place down. Getting to see Matisyahu open was a treat since he was just gaining recognition and hearing him guest on a tune or two was excellent.

Then they came to our school in the fall and jesus christ did they blow. I had been hyping it up for my friends and all but a few were let down. I was embarrassed to be honest. Utter shit is a good way to describe it.

My final O.A.R. show was at the Oakdale that following summer. They redeemed themselves by putting on a solid set but I kept looking around and realizing I was at a show with kids who couldn't buy their own pack of cigarettes. And that's about it. I haven't listened to them since that show and have no desire to. Lots of people around here rip on the band, and honestly the members are mediocre at best on their instruments. The only man who can play is the saxophonist and even then, you can hear when he's reached his limits. Don't get me started on the "lyrics" of their songs. I've heard two tunes from their latest album...garbage.

O.A.R. is good when you're in high school and (presumably) don't know any better. But once you find out what else the music world has to offer, you're either crazy or nostalgic to keep listening to them.

/rant.

but laughing out loud makes it feel alright.

Last edited by bc8109; 07-30-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    bc8109 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #1275
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bc8109 View Post
    I was able to see O.A.R. 3 different times, one of them was the MSG show a few years back and another was at my school. MSG was incredible. I was in love with the band at that point in time and they really tore the place down. Getting to see Matisyahu open was a treat since he was just gaining recognition and hearing him guest on a tune or two was excellent.

Then they came to our school in the fall and jesus christ did they blow. I had been hyping it up for my friends and all but a few were let down. I was embarrassed to be honest. Utter shit is a good way to describe it.

My final O.A.R. show was at the Oakdale that following summer. They redeemed themselves by putting on a solid set but I kept looking around and realizing I was at a show with kids who couldn't buy their own pack of cigarettes. And that's about it. I haven't listened to them since that show and have no desire to. Lots of people around here rip on the band, and honestly the members are mediocre at best on their instruments. The only man who can play is the saxophonist and even then, you can hear when he's reached his limits. Don't get me started on the "lyrics" of their songs. I've heard two tunes from their latest album...garbage.

O.A.R. is good when you're in high school and (presumably) don't know any better. But once you find out what else the music world has to offer, you're either crazy or nostalgic to keep listening to them.

/rant.
    QFT. They're for a younger crowd. I was supposed to go to the 7/24 show in Chicago and ended up selling the tickets. I downloaded the show the next day and good god, was I glad I didn't go. They sounded terrible.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #1276
    bc8109
    All in a day's dream

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

oh and uh...if you're not in high school and still listen to O.A.R. try wearing some big pants and give Umphrey's McGee a listen. You will not be disappointed.

but laughing out loud makes it feel alright.
    bc8109 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #1277
    achota33
    Deer Creek

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bc8109 View Post
    oh and uh...if you're not in high school and still listen to O.A.R. try wearing some big pants and give Umphrey's McGee a listen. You will not be disappointed.
    im not in high school. ive been to some umphreys shows, have all their stuff, still like oar. sue me.
    Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #1278
    dmbatl07
    SomewhereOvertheRainbow

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    dmbatl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #1279
    dmbatl07
    SomewhereOvertheRainbow

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icanfeeltherain View Post
    not playing poker at an oar show is like if Buffett didnt play margaritaville
    That's the reason people hate them. They're incredibly predictable. It's not like DMB plays Ants every show or UM plays Wife Soup every show... They have sold their souls to sell tickets and not make music. And that makes them just another modern rock/pop band.
    dmbatl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #1280
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I like them but have grown somewhat tired with them and completely agree about the crowds and predictability. For one, I"m seeing them Saturday and I know that I can guess about 15 of the 17 or so songs they'll play. The crowds are sooo young now its rediculous. I'm 20 and I feel old at their shows.

The bigger problem I have is that not only is their new music not as good, but their performance has gotten significantly worse over the last 5 or so years. Listen to Any Time Now and then MSG. It's like night and day. Marc doesn't even know how to sing anymore. He uses terrible wailing and faux reggae and often doesn't even sing the words properly. They were definitely better when they were more raw sounding. They've always been simple, but the raw island vibe of their music is what I found appealing and that is practically gone in exchange for a too produced pop sound. I'll probably only continue to see them if its convenient, i.e. playing at my school.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #1281
    achota33
    Deer Creek

My Tour Central Stats

i just saw a thread about them in dmbc and it got me thinking

this is the first summer since i started listening to them that i havent gone to a show

anyone else check them out this summer?
    Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #1282
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i just saw a thread about them in dmbc and it got me thinking

this is the first summer since i started listening to them that i havent gone to a show

anyone else check them out this summer?
    I may in August, I've taken a look at some of the sets though and gotta say that they actually look pretty solid. I guess they started doing 4-5 songs full band acoustic in the middle of a lot of shows. Their most recent setlist was actually awesome and probably the best set you can ask for at this point in their touring careers.

Revisited ->
    Night Shift
    Someone in the Road->
    Whose Chariot
    King of the Thing
    On Top The Cage
    Here's To You
    Untitled
    Hey Girl
    What Is Mine
    Delicate Few
    City On Down
    Whatever Happened
    Get Away (Fast)
    -----------
    Rhythm of Your Shoes
    Shattered
    That Was A Crazy Game of Poker
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #1283
    Dmbandcarter

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

these guys don't deserve their own thread.

2010 Festival Season - Delfest, Camp Bisco, Muddy River Jam Festival
    Dmbandcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #1284
    YNK4127

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Marc solo acoustic shows are good.
    YNK4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #1285
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Sure I think OAR is lame, I still take pride in the fact that I skipped their caravan set like 10 years ago, even though I just stood at the other end of Randall's (Governor's?) Island literally doing nothing. But in crazy game of poker, I love the vocalization how it sounds like he's just kind of improvising the lyrics outside the verses. What is a band that sings like that but doesn't suck overall? Thank you
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #1286
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    Sure I think OAR is lame, I still take pride in the fact that I skipped their caravan set like 10 years ago, even though I just stood at the other end of Randall's (Governor's?) Island literally doing nothing. But in crazy game of poker, I love the vocalization how it sounds like he's just kind of improvising the lyrics outside the verses. What is a band that sings like that but doesn't suck overall? Thank you

Threw on Hey Girl the other day and you better believe spotify was on private
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #1287
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

O.A.R. - 'In The Clouds' [Official] Lyric Video

Old 07-15-2022, 06:40 AM   #1288
    kl116

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

New O.A.R. album out today, called The Arcade... holy drum tracks on a good number of these songs.
    kl116 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2023, 04:32 PM   #1289
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I might be seeing them with Goo Goo Dolls in August. No almost nothing about them. What songs would I start with? Thanks.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #1290
    coyn113
    Keep Pushin'

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    I might be seeing them with Goo Goo Dolls in August. No almost nothing about them. What songs would I start with? Thanks.

start from the beginning

https://open.spotify.com/album/5cnM0...TbGT-Gr6oapm6w