December 14 & 15, 2012 -- Charlottesville, VA - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
DMBzilla
tour.

Shows Seen: 192

December 14 & 15, 2012 -- Charlottesville, VA

As per usual, this will be a lengthy post. It will also be a bit of a departure from my normal show reviews in that I feel it necessary to discuss my thoughts on the current state of the Dave Matthews Band.

I'd like to start by saying that I had an absolutely fantastic time in the Ville this weekend, in large part due to the wonderful friends with whom I shared the experience. There are too many of you to name individually, but you know who you are, and I feel truly blessed to have become a part of such a wonderful show-going crew.

In considering the shows themselves, this weekend was a microcosm of everything that's right and everything that's wrong with this incarnation of DMB. There were many, many highlights, and I'll hit on those first. As a general statement, the new tunes continue to improve, which speaks volumes since most of them were pretty great from the start. Drunken Soldier, Rooftop and Snow Outside were particularly impressive.

On Friday, #41 was the best version I've heard in a few years, and the 14+ minutes flew by. Boyd was on fire on this one, ripping into a very creative solo before giving way to Tim's electric work, and then coming back to round out the tune. Why I Am is always great to hear in C'ville, and the decidedly hardcore crowd showed its undying appreciation for Roi with rousing cheers each time the Groo Grux King was mentioned. John D'Earth added a whole new dimension to Seek Up, taking most of the intro himself and providing solid play throughout. The horns on Grey Street were as good as they've been with RR and Jeff, and the already awesome Rhyme & Reason sounded even better with Joe Lawlor guesting. Two Step continues to be the band's most consistently outstanding live tune, and a riotous Ants Marching outro was an excellent way to close out the evening.

Looking toward Saturday, The Best of What's Around was an unexpected surprise, and probably my favorite song of the whole weekend. It is an absolute travesty that this song gets so little play, and it got a huge reaction from the crowd. Nancies segueing into Warehouse never gets old, and following up the latter with Granny, another treat to hear, kept energy high. Christmas Song is also always nice this time of year.

Unfortunately, for all the highs, there were an equal number of counterbalancing lows. Of the 33 non-AFTW songs played, 9 (27%) came from BWGK. To put that number into perspective, UTTAD got 7 total plays, while R2T, Crash, BTCS and the LWS/BS got just 7 plays combined.

Dave continues to litter the sets with subpar and/or tired numbers like Seven, Eh Hee, Out of My Hands, You & Me, Time Bomb, Spaceman, Corn Bread, Squirm (a song I normally enjoy but was horribly placed last night) and Shake Me Like a Monkey (which has absolutely no business anywhere near the closing slot). Meanwhile, many of the best songs from this tour -- Typical, Dreaming Tree, Crush, DIDO, BEF, Bartender, STJL and WWYS -- were notably absent.

The result was two shows, each with quite a few standout moments, but none that achieved any level of consistency, or successfully eclipsed what the "average" DMB show has become. Were the shows enjoyable? Sure. Were they great? Absolutely not. It is unbelievably frustrating to look at any given set from this winter and know that just 3 or 4 changes would improve the show dramatically, and this weekend was no different. The sad truth is that as long as Dave continues to lean so heavily on certain songs while foregoing so many others, things will not improve.

Hershey. AC. Vegas.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
    kanedmb

Shows Seen: 9

Re: December 14 & 15, 2012 -- Charlottesville, VA

Yup, yup, yup, yup, aaaand yup!

The inexplicable nature of the inconsistency of setlist flow and non-AFTW song choices is just ridiculously frustrating.

And they sound great.
    go listen to your super deluxe you got a day early you super special person
    kanedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

Pretty spot on as usual. The filler songs being beat to death is hurting this tour badly. Dave needs to lean a little closer and realize some of his roses smell like poo poo.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 49

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    As per usual, this will be a lengthy post. It will also be a bit of a departure from my normal show reviews in that I feel it necessary to discuss my thoughts on the current state of the Dave Matthews Band.

I'd like to start by saying that I had an absolutely fantastic time in the Ville this weekend, in large part due to the wonderful friends with whom I shared the experience. There are too many of you to name individually, but you know who you are, and I feel truly blessed to have become a part of such a wonderful show-going crew.

In considering the shows themselves, this weekend was a microcosm of everything that's right and everything that's wrong with this incarnation of DMB. There were many, many highlights, and I'll hit on those first. As a general statement, the new tunes continue to improve, which speaks volumes since most of them were pretty great from the start. Drunken Soldier, Rooftop and Snow Outside were particularly impressive.

On Friday, #41 was the best version I've heard in a few years, and the 14+ minutes flew by. Boyd was on fire on this one, ripping into a very creative solo before giving way to Tim's electric work, and then coming back to round out the tune. Why I Am is always great to hear in C'ville, and the decidedly hardcore crowd showed its undying appreciation for Roi with rousing cheers each time the Groo Grux King was mentioned. John D'Earth added a whole new dimension to Seek Up, taking most of the intro himself and providing solid play throughout. The horns on Grey Street were as good as they've been with RR and Jeff, and the already awesome Rhyme & Reason sounded even better with Joe Lawlor guesting. Two Step continues to be the band's most consistently outstanding live tune, and a riotous Ants Marching outro was an excellent way to close out the evening.

Looking toward Saturday, The Best of What's Around was an unexpected surprise, and probably my favorite song of the whole weekend. It is an absolute travesty that this song gets so little play, and it got a huge reaction from the crowd. Nancies segueing into Warehouse never gets old, and following up the latter with Granny, another treat to hear, kept energy high. Christmas Song is also always nice this time of year.

Unfortunately, for all the highs, there were an equal number of counterbalancing lows. Of the 33 non-AFTW songs played, 9 (27%) came from BWGK. To put that number into perspective, UTTAD got 7 total plays, while R2T, Crash, BTCS and the LWS/BS got just 7 plays combined.

Dave continues to litter the sets with subpar and/or tired numbers like Seven, Eh Hee, Out of My Hands, You & Me, Time Bomb, Spaceman, Corn Bread, Squirm (a song I normally enjoy but was horribly placed last night) and Shake Me Like a Monkey (which has absolutely no business anywhere near the closing slot). Meanwhile, many of the best songs from this tour -- Typical, Dreaming Tree, Crush, DIDO, BEF, Bartender, STJL and WWYS -- were notably absent.

The result was two shows, each with quite a few standout moments, but none that achieved any level of consistency, or successfully eclipsed what the "average" DMB show has become. Were the shows enjoyable? Sure. Were they great? Absolutely not. It is unbelievably frustrating to look at any given set from this winter and know that just 3 or 4 changes would improve the show dramatically, and this weekend was no different. The sad truth is that as long as Dave continues to lean so heavily on certain songs while foregoing so many others, things will not improve.
    this is the worst...I just dont get it...it is so easy to do and makes no sense
    Episode 41: "#41": Apple Spotify
    EMERGENCY PODCAST: DMB 2021 SUMMER TOUR: Apple Spotify
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 37

spot on chad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
    hbktonyb
    5-Time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 96

Great review. Don't forget GD, horrid placement.

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 106

agreed, but around me in GA the BW songs still got the largest eruption from the masses

Star Lake | MPP | SPAC x2
    cpxc. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
    jcomey
    won't be long for here

Shows Seen: 43
    Send a message via AIM to jcomey

While I'm generally appreciative of whatever time I get with the band, I tend to agree with you, Chad. I love the music, but as I told people who asked if I was going to any shows; at the time, I wasn't...I'm going to two this year, both for free. I don't really have the money to pay for tickets...but even if I did, outside of the new album stuff, it seems like I saw everything over the summer (where I was incredibly blessed). Now, with the chance of #40 (yeah, the tease got my hopes up), Blue Water (see #40) and the few AFTW songs I haven't heard, and with it being my girlfriend's first show with me, there's anticipation.

That said, my Mohegan experience was more awesome for the friends I saw (and running into Carter before the show). The show was fantastic, but there was no surprise. In other words...I'm in agreement with you, 100%. Great time...but there's a reason why I've been getting so many great pictures lately. I can anticipate everything they do, because nothing is a surprise.

Shows: 34
    Something new at every one...
    jcomey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
    ctalk112

Shows Seen: 7

Awesome review Chad. I had pretty much the same thoughts, but I totally agree that those sets could change DRAMATICALLY with a little shuffling around and maybe a few additions...

Bartender
    Rooftop
    Proudest Monkey »
    Satellite
    The Best of What's Around
    So Damn Lucky
    Spaceman »
    Corn Bread
    Lie In Our Graves
    Belly Full
    Pantala Naga Pampa »
    Rapunzel
    Gravedigger
    Dancing Nancies »
    Warehouse
    Granny
    Gaucho
    Funny the Way It Is
    Snow Outside
    Jimi Thing
    Drive In, Drive Out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Water (tease)
    Christmas Song
    Stefan solo »
    All Along the Watchtower

...I switched three songs, and changed the position of Rooftop to the 2nd slot and look what we have.
    ctalk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
    BruceW

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    agreed, but around me in GA the BW songs still got the largest eruption from the masses
    not up front
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
    cpxc.

where you at, first few rows? the average dmb fan isn't going to wait in line for hours to get railed. they were 15-20 rows back with me. the crowd erupted during spaceman. i noticed that the most, gravedigger a close second.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
    ctalk112

Shows Seen: 7

Quote:
    where you at, first few rows? the average dmb fan isn't going to wait in line for hours to get railed. they were 15-20 rows back with me. the crowd erupted during spaceman. i noticed that the most, gravedigger a close second.
    Once I saw Carter begin his solo me and my buddies erupted because we thought they were going to play Say Goodbye...then Gravedigger happened.
    ctalk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
    BruceW

Quote:
    second row...when Spaceman started I didn't hear one clap haha
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
    cpxc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    second row...when Spaceman started I didn't hear one clap haha
    i'm indifferent to spaceman, i don't hate it, don't love it, but it needs to be not played

Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
    Coker

Shows Seen: 39

People were leaving in packs during Spaceman.
    Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
    cpxc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coker View Post
    and jimi thing

Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
    hbktonyb
    5-Time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 96

I could hear a pin drop during Spaceman.

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
    jcomey
    won't be long for here

Shows Seen: 43
    Send a message via AIM to jcomey

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbktonyb View Post
    I could hear a pin drop during Spaceman.
    It's truly the only song in the catalog I can't stand. Just greatly dislike that song.

Shows: 34
    Something new at every one...
    jcomey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #19
    BruceW

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcomey View Post
    It's truly the only song in the catalog I can't stand. Just greatly dislike that song.
    Time Bomb and Can't Stop for me
    Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
    cpxc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Time Bomb and Can't Stop for me
    i agree 100%

doesn't get much worse than that

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
    JimiThing1234

Shows Seen: 31

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coker View Post
    took my beer/pee break during spaceman. Bathroom was packed with everyone saying "here comes spacebread" lol.
    JimiThing1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 32

I don't particularly mind spaceman, but also in my section, people were leaving in masses.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 192

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    I don't particularly mind spaceman, but also in my section, people were leaving in masses.
    I've taken to watching the crowd with certain songs. Spaceman resulted in a mass exodus, as did OOMH. Lots of people left during If Only and Snow Outside as well, which I guess shouldn't be that surprising since they're both new.

Hershey. AC. Vegas.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

Nicely done, thanks Chad.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
    sab2423

Shows Seen: 39

Pretty spot on review on where things stand.
    sab2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 138

Great review from my new lawyer. Can't wait to hang with you in Philly bro
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
    smokew11
    1-0

im going to start looking for a single for philly

Quote:
    Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 138

We are all on floor for most part
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
    smokew11
    1-0

yeah I know, I'll be on the lookout for a ticket drop

Quote:
    Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
    cpxc.

Your wife will love that