Worst show I've ever seen...Wrigley N2 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #31
Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlevin03 View Post
i just feel awful for the op. christmas song for the first time in 5 years. last stop first time in an encore in 7 years. absolutely incredible energy in two step. billies and stay mid set. worst concert ever? even if you dont like some of the songs he played (trust me cant stop was the last song i wanted to hear) for every 'awful' song he wow-ed the crowd with another...
Just saw on the almanac, first tome Christmas song was in an encore since 1995.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #32
    rjdubb
    goin there w/the ggking

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Worst show I've ever seen...Wrigley N2

Maybe it was the expectations after Friday night as well as the last show of the summer, but Saturday night was weak, to say the least. YMDT to get things started (with extended solos from everyone) was not what I was looking for to get this "epic" night underway. Stay or Leave is a pretty song, but c'mon? Really? That's how we're starting? 'You Might Die Trying,' 'Stay or Leave?' How about 'Pig,' 'JTR.' And listen, it's not like I was standing there pouting. I am a forgiving fan. Surely song 3 would make up for this puzzling start. 'Seven' wasn't what I had in mind, but I'll take it. Sounds good and the boys are giving it their all. ( And the sound on the field directly in front of the soundboard was nice and loud. The screens, lighting, and the media production of every song for both nights is top notch. They have it down. Slick, streamlined, and polished.) Ok, so 'Seven' was good, but surely song #4 would knock the crowd back a few steps. This is the cleanup song that will throw this rabid Wrigley crowd into a frenzy. 'Warehouse' maybe? 'Best of What's Around' perhaps? Nope, batting cleanup this evening...'Crash.' I sang every word, it was a gorgeous version, but it was at this point I realized this show wasn't going to be the monumental 'last show' (cough, of the summer, cough) I thought it was going to be. 'Good, Good Time' would've been nice, but it was not to be. The 20 minute '#41' didn't help matters. 'Billies' was fun but the show was slipping away at this point. 'Ditch' was actually pretty funky, I enjoyed it. But 'Squirm', 'Gravedigger,' 'Spaceman' (great rawshawn solo here, carter was diggin it), 'Stay,' 'Can't Stop,' Grey Street,' 'Jimi' (awful, btw-sing the fucking song, Dave, I didn't pay to hear 40,000 drunk Chicagoans sing it, I paid to hear YOU sing it), 'Time Bomb' (TERRIBLE-oh my God this song is beyond bad), '2 Step' was good, but at this point the show is beyond repair. Even with xmas song and Last Stop, I couldn't help but feel like Dave gave a giant FUCK YOU to everyone who was there both nights. Especially Saturday. I still love this band, but Jesus Christ I was certainly expecting more. I will never understand what goes through their minds when they are choosing the setlist for the night. How could they possibly think that list was good enough? Between the annoucement of a fall tour, and the setlists for both nights, i cannot help but feel a bit confused and disappointed.
    rjdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #33
    hockeysg77

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Night two was way better than night one I just wish they would have takin the alpine overlap into account cause I think most the people at wrigley were at alpine as well and there was alot of the same songs played. Just like in 05 when he played alpine right b4 randalls island in new york and both had very similar sets. The main reason I left disappointed was I didn't get my busted stuff/ kit kat and after 6 shows this summer and hopeing for that for about 5 years now I thought I would get it at wrigley for sure but no dice, but the encore did make up for everything, I was convinced when Carter started the snare for cornbread we were getting halloween then a last stop which would have led to the cubs winning a world series next year (thank god I'm a cardinals fan) kinda dissapointing but by far not the worst show ever
    hockeysg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #34
    zachyd
    Torture of chalkdust.

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Just saw on the almanac, first tome Christmas song was in an encore since 1995.
    first time it was in an encore at a SUMMER show. it was in the encore several times on the winter 2005 tour. but its rare to have it at such an unseasonal time!
    Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #35
    webbah

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

i can't believe this. Wrigley n2 was insane! The energy was off the charts. The boys played the last half of the setlist with the encore type performances of each song. Two Step was unreal. And the Last Stop? I've seen that one played a few times but this was by far the best version I've ever been a part of. I was in section 424 and loved it. The stands were moving a ton because of all the people dancing.
    Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #36
    Kevaroo
    I'm the .1%

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

How was Last Stop a surprise to anyone, It was insanely obvious that it was coming. Vibe might have been cool but I knew it would be an over-hyped stop.
    Kevaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think it was a bad show? Or it was the worst out of 20 shows, cause those are two different things?
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
    dmb4lifeyadig

My Tour Central Stats

This show was amazing..The band had a good time and thats what matters....The energy was off the chain...and the crowd was amazing...jimi thing was a clear show of that....so stop the haters because out of the 17 shows ive been to, that wasnt the best but it was terrific
    dmb4lifeyadig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #39
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    You are my favorite.
    Haha why is that? Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I definitely agree with your viewpoint. Wasn't the worse show I've ever seen but out of deer creek both nights and alpine both nights wrigley n2 wasn't close to either for me.
    UTTAD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #40
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

i would kill to see Ditch. sorry you didn't enjoy it.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #41
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTTAD83 View Post
    Haha why is that? Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I definitely agree with your viewpoint. Wasn't the worse show I've ever seen but out of deer creek both nights and alpine both nights wrigley n2 wasn't close to either for me.
    Completely serious. You're the first person to really understand where I'm coming from.

I went to DC, Alpine and Wrigley too, so maybe that's why.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    i would kill to see Ditch. sorry you didn't enjoy it.
    The first time it was pretty decent. The next time, not so much...the next three times...it just got old.
    Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #42
    huskie54j

My Tour Central Stats

I really think it depended on where you were for wrigley on crowd energy. I was in 434 and 438 both nights. the crowd sucked. also, maybe i wasn't able to hear it, but i though that was the worst crowd singin on jimi that i have ever heard, that was not an example of how good the show was. dave should have picked up half way into the second verse. Jimi was great though with the thank you SMFSTASTA combo. but i did think n2 was solid. yes there were some times the stands were shaking from the dancing, but that was mainly on stay and two step. alot of people sat and talked through the show. I would rather see them play tinley over wrigley any day. Tinley atleast keeps most the shitty fans in the lawn. I think there were alot of people who said 'OMG a concert at wrigley, lets go!, who the hell is playing?'.
    huskie54j is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #43
    whereareugoing

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The king of haters...clearly no connection with the concert but man, I don't know what to say! This happened Saturday night early Sunday morning. http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...gleyville.html
    whereareugoing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #44
    formersec

My Tour Central Stats

Huskie: I agree with you regarding location in Wrigley. Night 1 my friend and I were on the lower level and our section was practically desserted. Since both shows presumably were sold out, I was surprised at the number of empty seats. Night 2, we were in the nosebleed section, and it was much more lively. I expected a rowdy crowd, but this section just rocked. And for what it's worth, I liked the seats on Night 2 even better than Night 1 even though the Night 1 section was closer to the field. Had a much better view of the stage from way up.
    formersec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #45
    huskie54j

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by formersec View Post
    Huskie: I agree with you regarding location in Wrigley. Night 1 my friend and I were on the lower level and our section was practically desserted. Since both shows presumably were sold out, I was surprised at the number of empty seats. Night 2, we were in the nosebleed section, and it was much more lively. I expected a rowdy crowd, but this section just rocked. And for what it's worth, I liked the seats on Night 2 even better than Night 1 even though the Night 1 section was closer to the field. Had a much better view of the stage from way up.
    Yeah i looked around the upperdeck both nights and it was random, some sections were totally up during songs while others were almost completely seated. I think the energy from the people up close (GA Field) is lost at stadium shows. As much as I hate GA, if I do a stadium show again with GA Field, I will do GA Filed and get there early to be by people who care about the show.
    huskie54j is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #46
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

As far as seating effecting my view, I had pretty good seats on the field.

And in response to uro55, kinda both. My least favorite show I've seen, and I don't think it was very good. 2.5 out of 5.
    Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #47
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Also, someone asked my bottom 3. Here they are:

Wrigley N2 - extremely disappointing considering many factors. Main set was the definition of "mailing it in"
    Tinley Park 2006 - Awful show. Most predictable show ever, especially after the past couple shows before it. Worst run I've ever seen.
    Toyota Park 2007 - Just bad. Even Seek Up was rough.
    Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #48
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Take a look at the play count on the almanac for all the songs played n2.

Until that encore, it was ALL double digit play counts. Only show this whole summer that had such a generic main set like that. Mailed. It. In.
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #49
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are my favorite.
    bullshit
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #50
    formersec

My Tour Central Stats

IMHO, Dave Matthews Band on an off day performs a helluva lot better than most acts on their good days.
    formersec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #51
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, someone asked my bottom 3. Here they are:

Wrigley N2 - extremely disappointing considering many factors. Main set was the definition of "mailing it in"
    Tinley Park 2006 - Awful show. Most predictable show ever, especially after the past couple shows before it. Worst run I've ever seen.
    Toyota Park 2007 - Just bad. Even Seek Up was rough.
    See thats what I dont get why you say Wrigley is your worst show. I think it could def be the show that failed to meet higher expectations than especially the Tinley and Toyota shows you refer to. But come on, the Wrigley encore alone is better than anything played at either of the other venues.
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    bullshit
    Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #53
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveindyman View Post
    See thats what I dont get why you say Wrigley is your worst show. I think it could def be the show that failed to meet higher expectations than especially the Tinley and Toyota shows you refer to. But come on, the Wrigley encore alone is better than anything played at either of the other venues.
    Just my opinion. Christmas Song and Last Stop were incredible. I'm not denying that. Cornbread sandwiched between them was idiotic.

I have never left a DMB show with a worse taste in my mouth though. Tinley and Toyota we knew were nonsense shows. Tinley was added late to make the people in Chicago happy. Toyota Park was added because Wrigley wasn't going to happen that year like they planned (if I remember right). So they both were kind of last minute shows, so you kinda knew they would be very bland. Wrigley though had such high expectations. Not only was it the last summer tour show before their first summer tour break ever, but it was at historic Wrigley Field, and N1 left a LOT of potential for N2 on the table.

It was incredibly, incredibly disappointing.
    Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #54
    rjdubb
    goin there w/the ggking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have never left a DMB show with a worse taste in my mouth though. Wrigley though had such high expectations. Not only was it the last summer tour show before their first summer tour break ever, but it was at historic Wrigley Field, and N1 left a LOT of potential for N2 on the table.
    See that's just it. In a word: disappointing. Still love em. They are still better than most bands even on an off night. And I understand the Friday list. But 3 days later and I'm still dumbfounded by what I witnessed Saturday night. I would just like to understand why they played those songs and sadly, I will never know. And now I have to sit with that for over a year. It sucks.
    rjdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #55
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjdubb View Post
    See that's just it. In a word: disappointing. Still love em. They are still better than most bands even on an off night. And I understand the Friday list. But 3 days later and I'm still dumbfounded by what I witnessed Saturday night. I would just like to understand why they played those songs and sadly, I will never know. And now I have to sit with that for over a year. It sucks.
    I used to think that, but not so much any more. Songs like Can't Stop and Cornbread are as bad as it gets, and certainly aren't better than a lot of music out there.
    Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #56
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just my opinion. Christmas Song and Last Stop were incredible. I'm not denying that. Cornbread sandwiched between them was idiotic.

I have never left a DMB show with a worse taste in my mouth though. Tinley and Toyota we knew were nonsense shows. Tinley was added late to make the people in Chicago happy. Toyota Park was added because Wrigley wasn't going to happen that year like they planned (if I remember right). So they both were kind of last minute shows, so you kinda knew they would be very bland. Wrigley though had such high expectations. Not only was it the last summer tour show before their first summer tour break ever, but it was at historic Wrigley Field, and N1 left a LOT of potential for N2 on the table.

Thanks for replying. So from what you said the show is the worst because it failed to meet expectations.... not necessarily because it had the worst setlist. Because if you compare setlists and performances, there is no comparison between Toyota, Tinley, and Wrigley. Toyota that year sucked because they played pretty much the same setlist the day before at Live Earth. Tinley had the P-funk horns but Stand Up songs live still sucked and at Last Stop mention was a kick in the balls. #41, Billies, Two Step, Xmas Song, Last Stop amongst others put the other two setlists to shame.
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #57
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveindyman View Post
    Thanks for replying. So from what you said the show is the worst because it failed to meet expectations.... not necessarily because it had the worst setlist. Because if you compare setlists and performances, there is no comparison between Toyota, Tinley, and Wrigley. Toyota that year sucked because they played pretty much the same setlist the day before at Live Earth. Tinley had the P-funk horns but Stand Up songs live still sucked and at Last Stop mention was a kick in the balls. #41, Billies, Two Step, Xmas Song, Last Stop amongst others put the other two setlists to shame.
    That is not what I'm saying. That's taking what I said out of context.

I still think Wrigley's set was no good, that's why it was disappointing. The main set was bad. It was a combo of a bad setlist and disappointment.
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #58
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Someone is using dmbalmanac "stats" to judge a shows quality n
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #59
    The Ramrod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uro55 View Post
    Someone is using dmbalmanac "stats" to judge a shows quality n
    exactly haha. some people really need to take a step back.
    The Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #60
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Completely serious. You're the first person to really understand where I'm coming from.

I went to DC, Alpine and Wrigley too, so maybe that's why.

The first time it was pretty decent. The next time, not so much...the next three times...it just got old.
    Gotcha. I was on the field as well and energy didn't seem to be a factor, yet everyone around me would groan at the start of a song in that run we mentioned as if to say "ugh ok I'll dance but this was an odd choice". I gotta listen on tape but what I remember the flow was just not there. I don't care about how many times a song was played if its a good song. Gravedigger and can't stop aren't, and shouldn't take spots of warehouse, pig, bowa,typical,raven, ynk,busted stuff, I could keep going. I'm amazed how many people will defend that set compared to others this year.
    UTTAD83 is offline   Reply With Quote