Hershey 2009 Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Hershey 2009 Review

the tailgating was fairly decent. had a few brews and met up with a few people and had a few laughs.

i recieved my tickets in the mail yesterday, even though i ordered them 3 weeks ago and was told to just get them a will call. as i go to walk into the stadium, my tickets scan and im told i have to see will call which is a mile long line. i ask the guy "why the fuck did you send me these then?" so i pulled out my credit card, and my receipt that i printed out just in case and he let me and my friend in.

(Shotgun) Squirm: i dug this as an opener. the new songs are really coming into their own and i think they are gonna start taking over the more important roles in shows.

Proudest Monkey: one of the songs i wanted to hear coming into the show. it was pretty standard. i do not like it when rashawn solos, its very boring and goes no where. that said, i love the song so it was good enough. ...>

Satellite: nothing really jaw dropping. its a standard version. the show so far is off to a great start.

Shake Me Like a Monkey: the new intro is excellent and this is one of my favorite new songs off the live and my 2nd favorite in the live setting after time bomb.

Seven: dave starts talking about the hersheys chocolate shit and mentions about him adding this song to the set. im not a big fan of this one, and after experiencing it live, my opinion is the same.

Seek Up: another one i wanted to hear coming in since i havent seen it yet with Tim there. honestly, it wasnt anything jaw dropping, but it is seek up so i enjoyed very much still.

Funny The Way It Is: standard.

Why I Am: Standard, great.

Crash: standard, still waiting for a wow moment.

Jimi Thing: crowd was dead during this, and i was starting to become bored. i wish i could get back into this song again but its still so bland to me.

Alligator Pie: i dig this tune, but i wasnt really feeling it at this point

Everyday: garbage

Spaceman: i like the song, its just ashame that you know whats coming afterwards

Cornbread: garbage

Louisiana Bayou: garbage. new intro does nothing to make this better.

#41: by the time this song started, i was not really interested anymore. and listen, before people start calling me out on shit, i am a big 41 fan. but at what point will this band realize that its greatness is when it was the 11-13 minute style versions. there 2 or 3 times where there was absolutely nothing going on, just carter lightly tapping the symbols. the fact that this song is 20+ minutes takes away a slot for another song, and since we're in an album year, why not time bomb? why does it have to be a N2 for that song to be played? anyway...

Don't Drink The Water: most know my feelings about this song and when it opens shows. im bored of it. although it is a wonderful encore closer and i always felt it could do wonders in the set closer spot as well. it was a nice change from 4 straight two step set closers at my last 4 shows. this brought my spirits up a bit.

__________________________________________________ ________

You and Me: standard

Watchtower: had all the stairway to heaven stuff. crowd was dead during it, and i was bored out of my mind.

i give this show 2.5 outta 5. and thats being kind. please dont take me as being bitter, but i think most can vouch that when jimi thing started, the show took a serious nosedive that wasnt going to be recovered. where is stone? where is lie in our graves? where is typical situation? why is bayou still being played when dave basically bashed the stand up album? why does cornbread HAVE to follow spaceman every night? why do you have to go to SPAC or alpine to get great shows? i am very frustrated. i love this band, and i know what they are capable of. tonight was absolutely atrocious.

to those who went and did have a good time, im happy for you. but i sorta wish i could get my 56 bucks back. and this is a huge statement coming from me, because even when im at shows where the setlist isnt great, i normally have a great time and would never think about getting money back for it. but this is the first time where i found myself sitting down more so than standing and dancing.

oh well :|

Last edited by crashintonickdm; 07-25-2009 at 01:01 AM.
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
    JimmyP41

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Hershey 2009 Review

You complain about #41 being too long and taking up time for another song to be played, however, you state in your review that many of the songs they played were either standard, non jaw-dropping, boring, or garbage.

You then state that The Stone, Lie In Our Graves, or Typical Situation would be nice to see. This is followed up by the noticeable fact that SPAC or Alpine are the places to see an above average show.

Seems to me that you are an old school fan stuck in a one night, Anytown, USA tour stop. Although i don't share your contempt, i feel your pain. You can find me at Blossom Music Center this Wednesday evening. Good day.
    JimmyP41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimmyP41 View Post
    You complain about #41 being too long and taking up time for another song to be played, however, you state in your review that many of the songs they played were either standard, non jaw-dropping, boring, or garbage.

You then state that The Stone, Lie In Our Graves, or Typical Situation would be nice to see. This is followed up by the noticeable fact that SPAC or Alpine are the places to see an above average show.

Seems to me that you are an old school fan stuck in a one night, Anytown, USA tour stop. Although i don't share your contempt, i feel your pain. You can find me at Blossom Music Center this Wednesday evening. Good day.
    It's pretty lame that DMB will play a mediocre show just based on venue though. I know some of it has to do with being a one night stand, but there's honestly no reason the band can't play some of its best older material (Typical, Jane, Stone) instead of its worst (Cornbread, Bayou, Everyday) just because it's a one night stand. You swap out those three songs and the ticket gains at least $30 worth of value, if not significantly more. IMO.
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
    kopes

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    It's pretty lame that DMB will play a mediocre show just based on venue though. I know some of it has to do with being a one night stand, but there's honestly no reason the band can't play some of its best older material (Typical, Jane, Stone) instead of its worst (Cornbread, Bayou, Everyday) just because it's a one night stand. You swap out those three songs and the ticket gains at least $30 worth of value, if not significantly more. IMO.
    Totally agree. This is what happened in Toronto this year (and last year, too). They were coming off a three day break, so no excuses, but we get a mediocre setlist...enjoyable, but mediocre.
    kopes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
    lmk0415

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

You go to to dmb show to hear good music and have a great time. There was a time when being an oldschool fan sucked cause that's all you wanted to hear but never got to. Well I grew up. I now appriciate the music that I hear at every show and stopped whinning when I didn't hear the song I wanted. I started to actually enjoy what I paid to see and I can tell you that I loved the Hershey show. Of course there are songs I want to hear, but I've heard them before so why complain? I just think people who call themselves fans need to stop complaining so much and just have a good time. If you can't then why bother going anymore if your just going to be dissipointed?
    lmk0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmk0415 View Post
    You go to to dmb show to hear good music and have a great time. There was a time when being an oldschool fan sucked cause that's all you wanted to hear but never got to. Well I grew up. I now appriciate the music that I hear at every show and stopped whinning when I didn't hear the song I wanted. I started to actually enjoy what I paid to see and I can tell you that I loved the Hershey show. Of course there are songs I want to hear, but I've heard them before so why complain? I just think people who call themselves fans need to stop complaining so much and just have a good time. If you can't then why bother going anymore if your just going to be dissipointed?
    Congrats on finding your keyboard after 5 years!

Thanks for the review OP, I wasn't there last night, but I share a lot
    of your feelings about the song choices on the setlists this tour.
    Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
    Newfiedmbfan

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moccasin View Post
    Congrats on finding your keyboard after 5 years!

Thanks for the review OP, I wasn't there last night, but I share a lot
    of your feelings about the song choices on the setlists this tour.
    That cracked me up. Well done.
    Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
    justanotherfan

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Well, I happened to enjoy the show very much. Where I was, the energy was great. It is all what you make it......it is nice to enjoy the music and even the people around you. Kick back and relax.

Maybe there is no need for you to attend the shows since it was quite boring for you. Maybe you could even get a setlist before the show and then make the decision on whether or not you will attend. After all the list should be made to please YOU. You should have sold your tickets and went to the Park for the day, it is quite a nice park and it is full of excitement and hours of fun.

Next time spend your money wisely as to get more bang from your buck.
    justanotherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
    dmbfan524
    celebrate we will

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Please note...this just my opinion. Average setlist...worst crowd in my 29 shows over the past 10 years. I was sitting section A row 8. Mraz got more energy out of them than the band. I took a friend who had never seen them before and she said the crowd was awful. It really was completely dead and silent during every song for those who weren't there. Even when Dave made his Why I Am tribute to Leroi, not a single person cheered. Also the "come and dance with me" line during Everyday was barely audible (which may of course be a good thing). The only highlight was the music. Jimi thing, #41 and Watchtower / Stairway were amazing IMO.
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
    TLTownie

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Completely agree. I got stuck in section C row 7 with a couple that had just returned from Alpine -- all they did was complain about how this show sucked compared to the Alpine shows. During Watchtower, the girl started yelling "BORING" and "OVERPLAYED" and actually booed. Ugh... It was painful enough sitting through the longest songs in the DMB repertoire, having to deal with these jack-asses made it even worse. Show gets a 4.5/10 from Section C.
    TLTownie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TLTownie View Post
    Completely agree. I got stuck in section C row 7 with a couple that had just returned from Alpine -- all they did was complain about how this show sucked compared to the Alpine shows. During Watchtower, the girl started yelling "BORING" and "OVERPLAYED" and actually booed. Ugh... It was painful enough sitting through the longest songs in the DMB repertoire, having to deal with these jack-asses made it even worse. Show gets a 4.5/10 from Section C.
    This is just ridiculous behavior. Sorry you had to sit by them. This just pisses me off reading this. When you buy your tickets, there is no field where you click boxes next to the songs you would like to hear at said show. Buy your ticket and enjoy it. Its not like the band is acting like Axl Rose up on stage and deserves booing and yelling...
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
    justanotherfan

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

On a side note........Dave's hair was quite interesing last evening. Kinda like the Duce Bigalow male gigolo kina look.
    justanotherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The sense of entitlement that fans have is both amazing and totally unfounded.
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RushianSyrinx View Post
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
    dmbfan524
    celebrate we will

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Section A row 8...there was a girl who had no idea Tim was touring with the band or anything about him being a part of the new cd....she freaked out HALFWAY through the concert (I believe during Jimi) screaming "OH MY GOD I HAD NO IDEA TIM WAS EVEN UP THERE...THEY MUST HAVE BROUGHT HIM AS A SPECIAL GUEST FOR TONIGHT" Then all she did was scream his name at the top of her lungs the rest of the night.
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
    tub50328

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

i only go to one show a year so songs being overplayed isn't really a problem for me. i loved the concert and the people around me were awesome. i was in the front of general admission and there was plenty of energy. squirm opening was a huge surprise and it kicked ass. watchtower was by far my favorite part of the show. i was never bored and enjoyed myself. be grateful you get to go see them in concert instead of complaining that they play their songs too much.
    tub50328 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
    TomDMB803
    santa hat.

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Had a great time but you're right, the show was lackluster - kept waiting for something special to come out.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justanotherfan View Post
    Well, I happened to enjoy the show very much. Where I was, the energy was great. It is all what you make it......it is nice to enjoy the music and even the people around you. Kick back and relax.

Maybe there is no need for you to attend the shows since it was quite boring for you. Maybe you could even get a setlist before the show and then make the decision on whether or not you will attend. After all the list should be made to please YOU. You should have sold your tickets and went to the Park for the day, it is quite a nice park and it is full of excitement and hours of fun.

well i mean if you read what i said, i said even when setlists are weak i always have a great time. last night was just atrocious. it was the first time in 37 shows that i actually wanted my money back. i sat more than i stood. the crowd was dead and the band didnt seem interested. again, if you enjoyed yourself, im happy for you. i didnt though.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
    phattmatt

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I went last night and I had a good time but there was definitely something up with the audience. It was kind of weird to be honest. Everyone just kind of stood around the whole show. I don't know I can't really describe it. I must say though that I don't really care what the audience does because I'm going to have a good time, I want everyone to have a good time as well but I know everyone has a good time in their own ways so it's all good. Having said that, I don't think I've ever been to a DMB show where the crowd was like that. Reason why I'm saying all of this is because it seemed to me like Dave had all this energy and vibes going out but not everyone cared. It just wasn't catching on, very weird in my opinion for a DMB show. But Jason Mraz opened..and its a new album tour so I think a lot of people went to see him because of that also. But it was a concert and a DMB one at that so I still had a great time, hope everyone else did as well!
    phattmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
    vjnap

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The only thing that could have sucked about last nights show is that I was not there! Coworker got a mms during the night from a cousin that was there and she was having a blast!

2022: WPB x 2, Camden x 2
    vjnap is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #21
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    im sorry but i greatly disagree. were not being falsely entitled fans if we think that its unfair that the band plays far far far far better shows at some venues than others. its not fair

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
    auksoccer09

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Really. I hate when fans complain about the setlist. Just be grateful that you are lucky enough to see so many shows. Last night was only my third show, and I had am awesome time. And no I'm not a "fake" fan. I don't feel the need to prove my DMB fanhood. Last night was the first time I'd heard Watchtower in person, and it was incredible IMO. It blew me away. As for the fan that was booing during Watchtower, completely unacceptable. If I heard anyone boo during the show I would have yelled at them to go the fuck home and let us enjoy the concert. I love DMB fans. We are unique. It is one big brotherhood, but there are a few fans that feel like they are above everybody else. There is one thing to be disappointed with a setlist, but that couple makes me mad. I would never even think about booing DMB, especially if I was lucky enough to see them at Alpine a few days before. Enjoy the show and be respectful.

On a side note, did anyone else notice how strict the cops were during the tailgating? Yes, I am under 21, and I understand that it is illegal to drink, but we were just having a few beers and talking to some adults next to us, having a great conversation and not causing any disturbance, and next thing we know, there is a cop at our car along followed by 2 cops on horses followed by 2 more cop cars. We were extremely cooperative and polite, so they gave us citations of disorderly conduct instead of underage drinking. We just have to pay a fine and parents will never know. To get to the point, did the cops seem more strict than Camden?
    auksoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #23
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    its perfectly fine to criticize this band. i paid money to see them. and whether you disagree or not, i dont give a shit.

dont post in this thread if you dont like what im saying.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i completely agree with op..tho i loved Jimi (i really like what jeff is doing)...by the time that 4 song run ended, the last thing i wanted was a 20 minute 41 that went nowhere...i was pretty close to the stage and by then, the place was dead..i love DDTW anywhere in the set but i was so tired it was hard to get excited for it
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    i completely agree with op..tho i loved Jimi (i really like what jeff is doing)...by the time that 4 song run ended, the last thing i wanted was a 20 minute 41 that went nowhere...i was pretty close to the stage and by then, the place was dead..i love DDTW anywhere in the set but i was so tired it was hard to get excited for it
    that was one of the most boring 41s ive ever seen. DDTW was great.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #26
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auksoccer09 View Post
    Really. I hate when fans complain about the setlist. Just be grateful that you are lucky enough to see so many shows. Last night was only my third show, and I had am awesome time. And no I'm not a "fake" fan. I don't feel the need to prove my DMB fanhood. Last night was the first time I'd heard Watchtower in person, and it was incredible IMO. It blew me away. As for the fan that was booing during Watchtower, completely unacceptable. If I heard anyone boo during the show I would have yelled at them to go the fuck home and let us enjoy the concert. I love DMB fans. We are unique. It is one big brotherhood, but there are a few fans that feel like they are above everybody else. There is one thing to be disappointed with a setlist, but that couple makes me mad. I would never even think about booing DMB, especially if I was lucky enough to see them at Alpine a few days before. Enjoy the show and be respectful.

On a side note, did anyone else notice how strict the cops were during the tailgating? Yes, I am under 21, and I understand that it is illegal to drink, but we were just having a few beers and talking to some adults next to us, having a great conversation and not causing any disturbance, and next thing we know, there is a cop at our car along followed by 2 cops on horses followed by 2 more cop cars. We were extremely cooperative and polite, so they gave us citations of disorderly conduct instead of underage drinking. We just have to pay a fine and parents will never know. To get to the point, did the cops seem more strict than Camden?
    i never had a problem at Camden, as long as youre not being an idiot you usually wont have a problem..that ebing said, the everyone at the car behind us got busted by bike cops and they were just sitting in chairs talking..i guess the cops were doing random spot checks..i dont know if they got underages (they did get some kind of citation) and all of their alcohol was taken and their car was searched
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #27
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

For me, I had the advantage of ignoring the setlists from Alpine thru Nikon, so I'd have a little suspense for Hershey. Because of that...

Squirm opener was a total shock and highly enjoyable. The Shotgun tease at the beginning was waaaay too cruel. It created an insane air of anticipation. Even though I knew it was likely a tease into Squirm like earlier in the tour, the opener slot and mystery of Alpine/Nikon shows had me buzzing at this moment.

Monkey. Didn't see it coming at all, and I love this one. Standard but great Satellite. Section B was really pumped by this point.

Seek Up. I thought it was strange that Dave changed guitars after Shake Me before Seven, but the standard E was for Seek which began right off the last note of Seven. Awesome.

Bayou. The opening jam was new to me but ultimately little disappointing to see this pop up.

Really would have liked to hear many of the better tunes played this year. Hopefully I can hit Camden n2
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i never had a problem at Camden, as long as youre not being an idiot you usually wont have a problem..that ebing said, the everyone at the car behind us got busted by bike cops and they were just sitting in chairs talking..i guess the cops were doing random spot checks..i dont know if they got underages (they did get some kind of citation) and all of their alcohol was taken and their car was searched
    camden is almost lawless. from what i've seen.
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Can I have your Nissan and Camden tickets then?
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
    DmBand801
    Schneider!

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justanotherfan View Post

not yesterday. I spent $32 on a ticket and rode only one rollercoaster because of the storms in the area...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomDMB803 View Post
    Had a great time but you're right, the show was lackluster - kept waiting for something special to come out.
    We were did in by that everyday-bayou run. It was awful.

Quote:
    #41 was way too long. I couldn't get into it like I did at Jones Beach because of the songs played before it...but I love seeing DDTW close sets too.
    Brady is not going to let the crappier younger brother of Fat Forehead beat him in anything. Period.
    DmBand801 is offline   Reply With Quote