Hershey-1st Concert - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
born 1991

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Hershey-1st Concert

I'm guessing most of you don't care, but it was my first DMB concert and I'm really excited about it and just want to say what I thought.

My friend and I went together and got tickets in the back of section 7. We couldn't see anything while the Black Crowes played, so we spent the entire concert on the railing behind the handicap section. When Dave went on before the opening band to say hi, I freaked out just because I couldn't believe I was seeing him in real life. I was in a state of shock for about 5 minutes afterwards! Don't know why, but I got a kick out of the vacuum guys that came on after the Black Crowes.

When the band came on, I couldn't believe my eyes and everyone was cheering. It was great. Dave starts some sort of intro, and I'm thinking no way! I think he's starting with Don't Burn the Pig... My first DMB song! And then of course came

Old Dirt Hill: I wasn't upset in the least bit when I heard the tune, just surprised. I noticed the people in the center got REAL quiet. I thought, you know what, they may think this song's a turd, but I've always secretly liked it. It was a humbling experience in the sense that I thoroughly enjoyed the song when I would've been disappointed if I had known about it opening beforehand. It sounded really good live imo, it put me in a good mood, and I'm not ashamed by that. It was like the band knew I would be cool with it and just wanted to give me something different. Anyway, it's my first concert, and although I would've loved BOWA, Granny, etc., I don't deserve to have them as openers yet.
Everyday: Boy did I know the people in the center were getting pissed, but I really do like this song and I was happy to get it. Sounded beautiful, gave me chills. At this point I realized 'I'm seeing DMB live, and it's AWESOME!'
You Might Die Trying Really cool, pleasure to see live. Great song.
Eh Hee I'm sorry, but this was BADASS. Towards the end, I was like 'wonder if they'll play Grey Street.'
Grey Street It was like they can read my mind. I had my back turned and when I heard those first drums being hit, in midsentence I went "HOLY SHIT!" and turned around. I was just staring in awe for the first couple minutes. Security ruined it by telling us to move. So we did... and of course came back to our spot at the start of Bartender. Only problem I had with it was the fact that Dave wasn't playing the riff. C'mon man, it's like the easiest song on guitar, and you're not gonna strum it? I mean at least give us a third verse if you're not gonna play it.
Bartender I did NOT see this coming since I expected it to open. Kicked ass. I was so grateful to get it at my first show. I mean, that's a song you shouldn't get until at least your tenth.
Corn Bread What a fun song. Everyone was dancing and having a great time. The obnoxious fans started to rear their heads at this time unfortunately, but I could still hear the music at least.
Out of My Hands Was it just me or was Dave talking about a monkey with a blue penis and bright red balls in his piano? I cracked up either way. I thought he was gonna do Proudest Monkey on piano or something because of that, but this started. My friend was whining and saying it was boring, but I found it chill and thought it had good placement after all the high energy songs. Sounded much better than SU version, and I liked it.
Dancing Nancies So Dave was talking about getting the powder chocolate syrup and stuff, which I found hilarious. He started saying "you have to get your fingers sticky" and playing the intro to Nancies. I was laughing and really excited at the same time because I love this song and didn't expect it. Great performance.

Typical Situation Thought Warehouse was coming up, but got this instead. I love this song and always believed I'd never see it. It was unreal, and I knew it hadn't been played yet, which humbled me even more. It felt like the band had been saving the song just for me. Incredible. And Roi deserves an award for that solo.
Where Are You Going Cool. Middle section pissed, people around me happy. I wasn't as excited as the people in the ga field, but I liked it. Better than Central Park version I think.
Crash Into Me Saw Dave hit the first chord and knew what was coming. Overplayed? Maybe, but it's my first concert, so I was unbiased in hearing it. (In other words I really enjoyed it.) Didn't know it sounded that good nowadays. Very passionate.
Jimi Thing At this point, I knew I had picked the right concert to come to. Sounded great, had a lot of fun singing along.
So Damn Lucky Beautiful. My favorite track off of Some Devil, sounded awesome live just like everything else. I liked that jam at the end.
Rhyme and Reason Whoah! Talk about getting chills, this was incredible. Everyone was excited when this came on. We thought the encore break would be next, but the band was generous enough to keep going.
So Much To Say I have always loved this song. With the old vocal, style it was great. There was an awesome vibe between the crowd and the band.
Anyone Seen the Bridge? Sounded so different with Tim, much better than it has been even though I've always enjoyed it. Loved seeing Stefan's goofy little dance in person. I got really pumped since I knew what was coming next.
Too Much What a great end to a great set. Just like SMTS, I was glad to hear the old style. I'm not sure but I think Dave did his butt wiggle on this song. Cracked me up as well as the band. Ton of fun, perfect sound, I was beyond pleased.

Money If I could've picked any cover for them to do, it would've been this. Sounded really cool. I had told my friend about it earlier, and he's never really listened to DMB, but he loves Pink Floyd, and he was hoping to get it the whole show. He was in a great mood when it started, happy to finally have a song he could sing along to.
Two Step My mind was blown. Epic performance. I have NEVER heard a Two Step this good, even Giants Stadium. Unbelievable. Probably the best song of the night.
Ants Marching I was expecting a Thank You to end the concert, but then I heard that familiar beat on the snare. I almost crapped myself. This was an awesome performance, they didn't jip us with the short version either. They went all out. The biggest grin was on my face from the very first beat until after the song ended. Boyd went nuts, the whole band was having a blast, and so was the crowd. I don't think any fan in that crowd was half as happy as I was. I wanted to run up and hug them to thank them. It was like the band was saying to me, "We know how much you love us, now we're giving you what you deserve. Welcome to the club" I don't know if it was one of it's best performances (I thought it was) and there was no version of any song, studio or live that I would have rather had at that moment in time. I could feel tears rushing to my eyes at the end of the song as I lost my voice singing along with that last line. Saying it was unbelievable is a huge understatement.

I had originally hoped to get Shotgun or Last Stop during the concert, but the happy exciting vibe was so perfect, either one would've ended it. Towards the end of the show, I was almost glad they didn't play them. I see most fans are mad at least about the first half, but I couldn't have asked for a better concert, I got much more than I deserved. Thank you DMB, you guys are the best.
born 1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
    LisaH
    aka Mrs Rickyh24

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Hershey-1st Concert

Nice review, glad you had a great time.

LisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
    FunkyTeaParty41

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

His guitar was fucked up during grey street
    FunkyTeaParty41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
    41 Step

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by born 1991 View Post
    Anyway, it's my first concert, and although I would've loved BOWA, Granny, etc., I don't deserve to have them as openers yet.
    I was so grateful to get it at my first show. I mean, that's a song you shouldn't get until at least your tenth.
    I got much more than I deserved.
    Great review, but I'm confused about one thing. What makes you think you "deserve" to hear certain songs and not others?
    41 Step is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
    born 1991

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaC View Post
    Nice review, glad you had a great time.
    Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyTeaParty41 View Post
    His guitar was fucked up during grey street
    I didn't know that. Do you know what was wrong with it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 41 Step View Post
    Great review, but I'm confused about one thing. What makes you think you "deserve" to hear certain songs and not others?
    I don't know. I've always felt that, even though I am a huge fan, the fans who drive for hours and hours to several concerts during the summer and spend their money on the good seats are the ones who have earned the good songs. I didn't really put that much effort into getting tickets early or going to a lot of concerts.

EDIT: For the record, I didn't think I deserved Ants, just thought it was a gift from the band for my first concert, which almost every fan seems to get, just like my friend got Money.

Last edited by born 1991; 06-29-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
    FunkyTeaParty41

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I didn't know that. Do you know what was wrong with it?
    Just the rain in general kinda messed up there equipment that day.. They even said the stage wasn't as bright as it usually is
    FunkyTeaParty41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
    saygdbye76

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

great review. glad you had an awesome time. its people like you that make it fun to be a dave fan even though im feeling like we are among people that seem to go to shows just to get messed up and not for the music more and more as years go by. i was at spac the second show and mansfield the second show this year, and i swear ive never seen so much vomit in my life. maybe its time to start gettin my ass off the lawn and spend the money on seats...lol. it was very disappointing, yet they had the best show ive ever seen or heard at spac.....literally i was able to experience something sick that nite. so in the end as always both shows kicked ass!
    saygdbye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
    LisaH
    aka Mrs Rickyh24

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyTeaParty41 View Post
    Just the rain in general kinda messed up there equipment that day.. They even said the stage wasn't as bright as it usually is
    They seemed to have a few equipment problems, including the side screens were out and so was the one that started out in front of the band and then would rise up.

LisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
    born 1991

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saygdbye76 View Post
    great review. glad you had an awesome time. its people like you that make it fun to be a dave fan even though im feeling like we are among people that seem to go to shows just to get messed up and not for the music more and more as years go by. i was at spac the second show and mansfield the second show this year, and i swear ive never seen so much vomit in my life. maybe its time to start gettin my ass off the lawn and spend the money on seats...lol. it was very disappointing, yet they had the best show ive ever seen or heard at spac.....literally i was able to experience something sick that nite. so in the end as always both shows kicked ass!
    Thanks, I'm glad you don't think I'm one of those ignorant annoying fans. Wow you lucked out with your concerts. Stinks about the vomit though. I kinda know how you feel because I wasn't under the influence of anything either and was honestly getting pretty queasy from everyone smoking cigarettes and pot. Definitely getting better seats from now on too.
    Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
    Acester25
    DMB fan 1995-death

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Now THAT is the kind of review I enjoy thoroughly! Very glad you had a great time at the show. I had a great time as well. It was my 20th or 21st I believe. Definitely the best Encore I've seen and I've never seen them go that far past 11:00!! They ended the show at 11:40 and the entire night rocked.

ALSO, Welcome! And may you always remember this show and your review. Try to go into every show with the frame of mind you went into this one with and you'll not only enjoy it yourself, you'll help those around you have a great time too!

There needs to be more fans like you and I.
    "One of the things about playing music for all of us is that it's a source of joy. So even if we're singing about death or loss or the end of the world, at the very core of everything there's got to be hope."~David J. Matthews
    Acester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
    mechman

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

My first show too, and I was right in the front of GA. It's my first show, so naturally I thought all the songs were kickass. Flipped shit when Boyd started playing Bartender though, it's one of my favorites. Got chills during the hani hani chant in Everyday, everyone around me was singing it. Typical Situation was spectacular as well, and I can't say enough about the encore. Glad another first-timer had the same good experience, as well.
    mechman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
    baltimoredmb

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechman View Post
    My first show too, and I was right in the front of GA. It's my first show, so naturally I thought all the songs were kickass. Flipped shit when Boyd started playing Bartender though, it's one of my favorites. Got chills during the hani hani chant in Everyday, everyone around me was singing it. Typical Situation was spectacular as well, and I can't say enough about the encore. Glad another first-timer had the same good experience, as well.
    its honey honey.
    6/27/08 Hershey
    7/24/09 hershey, 8/8/09 nissan
    baltimoredmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baltimoredmb View Post
    its honey honey.
    Depends on who you ask......its both

Its actually Hani Hani

Last edited by dre2142; 06-30-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
    Thamlin19

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bartender I mean, that's a song you shouldn't get until at least your tenth.
    I've gotten it 13 times at 24 shows so I guess I'm spoiled.
    Thamlin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
    kgs305

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    Depends on who you ask......its both

Its actually Hani Hani
    It was Hani Hani, but Everyday transformed that into honey honey with all the teenage chicks.
    A human being that was given to fly
    kgs305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
    dragonflies76
    dave maven

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baltimoredmb View Post
    its honey honey.
    Actually the "honey honey" outro to Everyday is derived from the chorus of the original #36 "Hani Hani, come and dance with me." Chris Hani was a slain South African freedom fighter that Dave knew. It evolved into "honey honey" after awhile. And then became the Everyday outro.
    before you meet your end."
    dragonflies76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
    born 1991

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Acester25 View Post
    Now THAT is the kind of review I enjoy thoroughly! Very glad you had a great time at the show. I had a great time as well. It was my 20th or 21st I believe. Definitely the best Encore I've seen and I've never seen them go that far past 11:00!! They ended the show at 11:40 and the entire night rocked.

ALSO, Welcome! And may you always remember this show and your review. Try to go into every show with the frame of mind you went into this one with and you'll not only enjoy it yourself, you'll help those around you have a great time too!

There needs to be more fans like you and I.
    Thanks a lot! I couldn't believe it was such a late show either. The band must've been having a blast on the stage.

May the fans like you and me live on!