bennetts' Nissan Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
bennetts

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

bennetts' Nissan Review

edit: I write long reviews bc I want this to actually give a good description. I hate reviews that say "standard" for every song. Christ, that's annoying..

I'll start off by saying that I had good expectations for this one. It seems that dMb likes to do a little every other year at Nissan is good thing...04 good, 05 baad, 06 decent, 07 worst show I've been to, 08 read my review. Also by looking at Hershey's set, there were no realy big hitters such as Seek Up or The Stone; so I was thinking maybe we would catch something like that at Nissan.

Preshow:
Per usual, Nissan's crowd seemed extremly odd/un-dmb like. Just seemed like way to many sober people, I like my dmb crowds obviously out of hand and ready to party with dave haha. Some I'm sure disagree, but I'm pretty sure it makes for a better show when everyone is as shitfaced as I am.
Michael Franti seemed, well, horrible. He had this whole peace, love spiel going and it was brutally contrived. He also had this really fucking long song that kept talking about a Greyhound bus...it was trying to be very profound but ulitmately it was just lame as shit. Whatever. Let us move onto the show.....Btw, I had 5th row seats behind the pit; off to the left, i.e. Timmy/Boyd side.

So they did the curtain thing and the noodling sounded alot like Bartender to me, which would've been awesome (it was fantastic at SPACn1.) As the noodling continues, it begins to sound more like ddtw, which is fine...

Don't Drink the Drink: Obviously this is a good opener, I mean when is it not? I've seen it many times but you can't really get tired of it, it always brings the heat. Dave did the This Land Is Your Land interpolation again, just like SPACn2. This is obviously awesome. The crowd was pretty into it, and so was the band.

Old Dirt Hill: Oh the all important second song, always key to a great/good show. Sadly, ODH isn't too good live. Honestly, it is one of the better Stand Up songs, so even though I was pretty pissed that it came second, I figured at least it isn't horrible. Well, as it turns out this version was pretty bad. Is it just me, or does it seem like Dave pretty much does this by himself until the last 20 seconds? I didn't like it but the band loved it. One of the cool things about being so close to the stage is that you can see the bands reactions after each song (while it is still light out.) dMb obviously really really digged it, and this song is gonna turn into a go-to song for the band.

So Damn Lucky: Crowd was pretty into it, which is hard because Nissan is generally dead all the time. The "Round, round" part was definitly awesome, and the crowd ate it up. However, I am a big fan of the little Timmy led continuation of the song, but the crowd was pretty confused. Nissan thought the song was over and they were ready to move on, but dmb kept playing it. Many people sat and the energy kinda was killed. Whatever, still a good song.

The Dreaming Tree: I told my friend before dt that the show was at a crossroads, and dmb chose nicely. No doubt a highlight, but the performance was pretty weak. Roi didn't seem into it or very inspired. This is where the energy of dmb obviously started to decline (probably realizing how poopy Nissan's crowd is.) It's dt though, so I gotta give it a

The Idea of You: Ugh, I was hoping Shotgun, but alas. I mean I will say that the 08 idea is better than 07's. But still, the lyrics are horrible and it's hard to get past that.

Corn Bread: At the beginning of it I was pretty pissed, a IOY, CBread combo doesn't sound too appetizing to me. But, I forget the wizard's fantastic geetar skills....timmy just tore this one up. I REALLY got into the jam. Great time on this.

You Might Die Trying: Holy predictable 08 run batman! This was confusing and annoying. I'm wanting a Nancies/old school and I get something I've heard like 9 of the past 10 shows. I'm just getting tired of this one, no other way of saying it.

The Space Between: Is it wrong that this was one of my highlights? I liked it alot. Albeit, I was angry that Boyd and Roi weren't even on stage for this, it was still good. I'm a sucker for SpaceB though, "The bullets in our firefight, [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]Is where I'll be hiding, waiting for you"...love those lines.

Sledgehammer: Hell yesss, so good. Gotta love this song. DMB played it well I thought. This was the most I saw the crowd get into the show (besides Ants)...that is probably because everyone at Nissan is old (seriously this is a problem and one of the reason Nissan's crowd is lame. Everyone there is just a rich person that goes to dmb to be cool.) Cool side note though, the guy Tim Brant was at the show and he sat for the whole thing pretty much except for Sledgehammer.

Eh Hee: This will be quick...Eh Hee thoroughly blows. I hate it so much.

Lousiana Bayou: Well, it does bring the energy, I wont deny that. But the first 4 minutes of this song is terrible, bad, unoriginal, contrived, bleh...whatever you wanna call it. But the jam, live, is really fun. I get down.

Out Of My Hands: Man alive, this set just isn't getting better. This song is boring, that is all. Oh and dave made that monkey penis joke again, which is fine. It's a good joke haha.

Everyday: This was surprising, I really thought dmb would play something good like LIOG. Ugh, idk it was everyday. The crowd sang, the song sucked, and I was bored.

Ants: Who doesn't love Ants? So great. Always.

Jimi Thing tease: Oh this was very similar to getting kicked in the nuts. What the fuck dave? Are you really gonna do this to me. Jimi is the shizboah and he teases it...so lame.

So Much To Say: Honestly, I was still really pissed about that whole Jimi fiasco that just transpired. Like wtf, why would he tease it? Just fucking gay.

ASTB: (still kinda angry) They did the pause thing. It was kinda funny, everyone paused and Timmy was still groovin and then he looked up and realized they were doing the pause thing. Funny stuff.

Too Much: TM is awesome this tour, Timmy really kills it. I was getting pleasant flashbacks to spac n2...ahhh what a show haha. II was kinda mad that this was closing the set, I was still hoping dmb would do something random or unexpected. Still fun.
----------
Sister: I think I fell asleep, not sure though.

PNP>Rapunzel: Hells yeah. Pretty unexpected, didn't see it coming at all. During this one, some guy a row in front of me got caught for the 4th time this show with a joint...poor guy, felt bad for him. Good version though, dave was lovin' the falsettos.

Thank You: It was inevitable. Personally, I think the song is horrible, but daves dancing makes up for it. Crazy bastard haha.

Overall, the show was pretty weak. I'll give it a 5/10, maybe....maybe.

Oh and I pwned Nissan traffic bc I live literally 5 minutes away. Noice.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
    PhishSticks40
    Sharpen them with lies.

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: bennetts' Nissan Review

Good review, even though you werent thrilled with the set.

Honesty though and I dig it.

PhishSticks40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
    rnieves
    Schiz is a bama

Shows Seen: 127

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennetts View Post
    Old Dirt Hill: Oh the all important second song, always key to a great/good show. Sadly, ODH isn't too good live. Honestly, it is one of the better Stand Up songs, so even though I was pretty pissed that it came second, I figured at least it isn't horrible.
    I think the part I bolded is the only part of your review I didn't agree with.

2013: Alpine x2, Hershey, and Bristow (100!)
    rnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I don't really get why people go to so many shows if they're just bored and unhappy.
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
    yankees26mlb
    New York City

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

yeah this was a pretty terrible setlist
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I don't really get why people go to so many shows if they're just bored and unhappy.
    I mean its a concert, I had a good time. Just wasn't a very good set, that's all. Not the end of the world.
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
    PhishSticks40
    Sharpen them with lies.

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Was dave on acoustic or the bari?

PhishSticks40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
    DreamingDave

Shows Seen:

DMB Hub Stubs:

My Tour Central Stats

Acoustic.
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhishSticks40 View Post
    Was dave on acoustic or the bari?
    What song? Sludgehammer? He was on acoustic I'm pretty sure.

edit: Space between was acoustic, if you are talking about that.
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
    DreamingDave

Shows Seen:

DMB Hub Stubs:

My Tour Central Stats

Bennets you know how to write a review, good work. Hopefully your next show meets your expectations a little better.
    Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Because sometimes you get a show like last night's, or Busch, or SPAC II and the show is great and you are really happy you shelled at your $70 plus whatever it takes to get there and everything is great.

And other times you get a show like tonight's and it leaves a shitty taste in your mouth.

Obviously. Think people, this isn't difficult.
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
    SIU SALUKI FAN

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Nice review, you had me laughing my ass off.

I'd probably feel the same way. It sucks, but the venue matters so much in how good a setlist you are going to get. Luckily I'm close to Alpine.
    Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
    Rogue
    Fill My Glass For Me...

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennetts View Post
    [SIZE=5]Jimi Thing tease: Oh this was very similar to getting kicked in the nuts. What the fuck dave? Are you really gonna do this to me. Jimi is the shizboah and he teases it...so lame.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=5]Overall, the show was pretty weak. I'll give it a 5/10, maybe....maybe.[/SIZE]
    Heh! Good review and teasing Jimi Thing would burn ya like that.
    Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Oh it burns. One of my top 5 songs, for sure. It would've helped the set alot.

edit: And thanks to those commending my review, I appreciate it.
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
    wvguy

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

the review was good ill give you that but i was very pleased with all the new songs and when dave played the piano on out of my hands the enitre crowd was talking was disappointed that everyone was talking cause it was a really good song and they way the band fades in and out i great and to see tim reynolds play the whole set loved it
    wvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
    hippiegrl30
    Peace Love N DMB

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I thought the beginning was a little slow your right, but i didn't see that many people sitting down and i literally was right next to the sound system people which sucked, the people with the All Access Passes were bringing all there friends over so i couldn't see a thing, thought my seats were gonna be killer. they would've been but for this 1 chic bringin all her friends every 10 minutes it sucked, so don't sit in section 102 S. I stood up the whole time. I think Pittsburgh show had alot more energy, and I go too Nissan every year but I agree this was not my favorite show, but as long as it's DMB you have to make the best of what's around I still had a Killer time...
    Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
    nick637

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

just listened to sledgehammer tape, nice job boys.
    nick637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hippiegrl30 View Post
    I thought the beginning was a little slow your right, but i didn't see that many people sitting down and i literally was right next to the sound system people which sucked, the people with the All Access Passes were bringing all there friends over so i couldn't see a thing, thought my seats were gonna be killer. they would've been but for this 1 chic bringin all her friends every 10 minutes it sucked, so don't sit in section 102 S. I stood up the whole time. I think Pittsburgh show had alot more energy, and I go too Nissan every year but I agree this was not my favorite show, but as long as it's DMB you have to make the best of what's around I still had a Killer time...
    Agree, I always have an awesome time at dmb, regardless of what they play.
    Old 06-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
    whiteysax
    washOUTthisTIREDnotion

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Hey sam, hope your friend was ok... i met up with him to get him that ticket and he wasn't having any luck with anything yesterday.
    Old 06-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #20
    rnieves
    Schiz is a bama

Shows Seen: 127

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Because sometimes you get a show like last night's, or Busch, or SPAC II and the show is great and you are really happy you shelled at your $70 plus whatever it takes to get there and everything is great.

And other times you get a show like tonight's and it leaves a shitty taste in your mouth.

Obviously. Think people, this isn't difficult.

2013: Alpine x2, Hershey, and Bristow (100!)
    rnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
    Thamlin19

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I'm crashing at your place next year, man. Didn't even bother starting my car until about 12:50 (got to it at 11:20 or so) but we met some cool people in the lot so it was ok. Question, why do people sit with their cars idling for over an hour at a time? With gas at over $4/gallon I couldn't believe how much was wasted in the lot while we were waiting for traffic to clear.

Good, detailed review though. It's tough for me to assess because there were so many damn repeats from the night before at Hershey. I really don't think the band realizes how many people go to both of these shows. Also, since I too knew that Seek Up, The Stone, 41, LIOG and some others were all "due" (and still are!) I had really high hopes that they'd be played. In addition to being due for this tour, none of those songs have been played at Nissan since before the year 2000.

I'll repeat for emphasis: none of Seek Up, The Stone, 41, or LIOG have been played at Nissan Pavillion since before 2000. Same goes for Satellite, Proudest Monkey, and Last Stop although you can't exactly go into a show expecting LS very often. Dreaming Tree was on a similar run like this but was finally broken this year.
    Thamlin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
    Thamlin19

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Also, I thought for a Nissan crowd that it was very good. Some of that could definitely be attributable to the fact that any pavilion is going so sound louder after being at a stadium the night before, but to me it seemed like Nissan this year was a lot louder than it typically is.
    Thamlin19 is offline   Reply With Quote