New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 704 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #21091
ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Which time?

A little of one has led to more of the other.
Which is exactly why I’m not buying that the “finishing touches” after the HB were true. I mean yeah maybe the album is “done” NOW, but it won’t be when Dave starts thinking about it again.

This could be a really special album but it needs to be released to be that.
ElijahSoRight72 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-02-2022, 03:26 AM   #21092
    mynameismike

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    A song they've only played 4 times in the last 3 1/4 years

A fucking travesty
    mynameismike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 06:03 AM   #21093
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

A source leaked lyrics from a song tentatively titled “Come Tomorrow Again and Again”:

Toilet paper in hand,
    I ruined a great band,
    No one wants to hear it,
    but they pay and always cheer it,
    Its coming around again,
    The tour that never ends
    Youd hate to miss the greatest part,
    $120 bucks to hear me fart.
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 06:15 AM   #21094
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They did. It was done mid 2021. At least nearly everyone in and surrounding the band thought so. Why hasn’t it seen the light of day? Dave has tinkered ever since.
    Quote:
    Which time?

Dave is just waiting til 2023 so he can derail another BTCS anniversary release.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #21095
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which time?

So basically the record company made negative comments or suggestions about the original album mid 2021 and now Dave has second guessed everything and can’t stop tweaking it because he lacks confidence since the original suggestions. Sounds like a great spot the album is in. Doesn’t feel like this will lead to success. Original album was probably the one we should’ve heard but I hope I’m wrong. The pace and acoustic guitar on the only thing and madman intro were good tweaks so maybe I’m wrong. Walk around the moon tweaks are the opposite tho and went backwards.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #21096
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They did. It was done mid 2021. At least nearly everyone in and surrounding the band thought so. Why hasn’t it seen the light of day? Dave has tinkered ever since.

So chili was done over a year ago and hasn't hit the freezer, must be great!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #21097
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    At this point, I think they need to scrap all the new tunes and start from scratch. Lock yourselves in Haunted Hollow or some other studio in LA or Seattle, and just get her done!!! Have some discipline and force yourselves to just bang it out! Other bands do this. Shouldn't be too hard with all the talent they would have in the room!

Stop dragging ass and second guessing (this means Dave), and go into the studio during your downtime with some decisiveness and confidence, and lay some tracks down.

If you're gonna keep any of the new tunes, keep it limited to Madman's Eyes, WATM and maybe The Only Thing. Nevermind OATB, STTMB and Windows.

But these tunes are starting to feel old now, and they clearly represent a period of time where Dave doesn't know what he wants to do. That's why I think they should just start fresh.
    That would be incredibly dumb to scrap all the new 2021-22 road tested song because it will only lead to a higher % of trash songs. If it took them this long to pop out the recent batch of songs that actually are to me better than most CT songs Imagine how much longer it will take to create a whole new set of songs.

I think they should keep most of the new songs outside of STTMB add some of the break(free/for it) + other unreleased gems and then maybe sharpen up or add 1 to 2 more new songs not already recorded at most.

Also what dave seems to like seems to be absolute trash so even though I am glad he is in a good headspace in his personal life I don't want these cheesy come tomorrow, STTMB, TGIY, She songs to flood this new album.

Last edited by monizzle145; 12-02-2022 at 06:42 AM. Reason: SP
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #21098
    frinkahedron

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which time?

I will never understand how this band, at this point in their careers, already rich beyond measure, can still be so precious about what they put out. As if any tweaking that Dave or the record company could do is somehow the difference between a Big 3 level masterpiece or a Stand Up-esque whiff.

Some of the new(can we still call them new?) songs are good, some are meh. Whether it's next year or next decade, any album from this band is going to be a similar mix no matter how much they futz over it.
    frinkahedron is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #21099
    BarkRock

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

This may be obvious, but I also heard that the conversation has always been around making the base of fans happy, but the main goal has been to capture new fans...

Not sure what this means for the songs.... hoping it is not intended to butcher them or make them too poppy.

That is also the reason for the stress and tinkering... not so much that Dave is having internal struggles with his own music taste.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:27 AM   #21100
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarkRock View Post
    This may be obvious, but I also heard that the conversation has always been around making the base of fans happy, but the main goal has been to capture new fans...

Not sure what this means for the songs.... hoping it is not intended to butcher them or make them too poppy.

That is also the reason for the stress and tinkering... not so much that Dave is having internal struggles with his own music taste.
    Please duck because I don't wanna shoot the messenger and understand you are just relaying the message.

Here is what is funny though my first show in 2012 I got a stone opener. That is what hooked me into going to so many shows not the Gaucho or Mercy or Cornbread also played. The next day 5/26/12 I decided not to go becuase back to back concerts for the same artists was a foreign concept and that multicam vid from that 5/26/12 show is one of the highest viewed shows (and I haven't missed a Hartford Farm Aid and or full band show since).

New fans will absolutely love if DMB just puts out good songs. In 2012 that put me from a limewire stash of a few hits from 2005-2012 to chasing this band around the northeast 2012-Present.
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:33 AM   #21101
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah this band does do "poppy" well. Stop it and play/put out your best music. Still remembering the teenager drug to the show by his mom at MPLS getting into Rapunzel. Turns out their best music is their best music. Not shit like Can't Stop that in theory fits the mold of radio/pop better but they are missing the key factor that the music is just not good.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #21102
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if there is a DMB fan on this planet who's favourite song is Can't Stop, or got into DMB because of Can't Stop.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:54 AM   #21103
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If so, I guess they’re worse at this than I thought.

They’re a bunch of late-50s to early-60s dudes who are like 20+ years past their prime and they’re still worrying about trying to capture new fans with a new studio effort?

The only demographic still up for grabs for a band this long into their career are going to be young people. Does Gen Z even listen to whole albums anymore anyways? It doesn’t seem like a modern way of consuming music for this demographic.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 12-02-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 07:56 AM   #21104
    BarkRock

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

They’re a bunch of late-50s to early-60s dudes who are like 20+ years past their prime and they’re still worrying about trying to capture new fans with a new studio effort?

DMB isn't worried, Management is just trying to maximize their investment...is how i see it.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #21105
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

The only demographic still up for grabs for a band this long into their career are going to be young people. Does Gen Z even listen to whole albums anymore anyways? It doesn’t seem like a modern way of consuming music for this demographic.

Yeah that is where none of this adds up. If this was really their goal then why are they so archaic in their methods? If anything with peoples short attention spans they should be dropping more music, more frequently on streaming platforms not taking 5 years to still pump out a half assed traditional studio effort.

I honestly take all of this "trying to capture new fans" with a grain of salt and think insiders often wax philosophical in a positive direction to explain all the botchery sometimes when they get inside news because they obviously sometimes are personally connected to people in the band. The simpler solution is they really don't have a plan and are really really bad at this.
    Old 12-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #21106
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    DMB isn't worried, Management is just trying to maximize their investment...is how i see it.
    It’s all about $$$ to certain people.
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 08:22 AM   #21107
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like they would be better off trying to keep their longtime fans than trying to attract new fans in this modern music scene
    Old 12-02-2022, 08:42 AM   #21108
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I feel like they would be better off trying to keep their longtime fans than trying to attract new fans in this modern music scene
    Absolutely and most new fans are the child, spouse, relative of a longtime fan and many times the persons first show they are blown away by how the band is in person compared to the perception of the band via pop culture or hearing a few 90s hits.

Making music for the longtime fan who then is excited and continues to bring new people is why the bands attendance is as good as it is despite price hikes and some older fans walking away due to no fiddle/being busier with family/losing interest.
    Old 12-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #21109
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    All the good longtime fans are long gone by now and all you have left are DMB family types who clamor to get a taste of Dave’s nut sweat.
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:12 AM   #21110
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    I wonder if there is a DMB fan on this planet who's favourite song is Can't Stop, or got into DMB because of Can't Stop.
    that beast is inside of everyone and it just needs to be freed bro
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:12 AM   #21111
    Monkeysmoke

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    All the good longtime fans are long gone by now and all you have left are DMB family types who clamor to get a taste of Dave’s nut sweat.
    I couldn’t have said it better myself. Dave doesn’t care much for the “hardcore” fans in my opinion and the DMB family types have turned into an embarrassment lol.

As far as the album goes, Dave has always been his worst critic but I don’t know if this plays into why it’s taking so long. I fear it’s going to get released and be not worth the wait. I hope I am wrong but after the way the last album was thrown together who knows. Dave works better with people like Lillywhite who push them to be their best and creative. I think they’ve step away from producers and people like that and have more Yes men around.
    Monkeysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #21112
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I don't really have much of an issue with DMB family type fans, Dave could easily write sets where all types of fans walk away happy on a consistent basis
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #21113
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't really have much of an issue with DMB family type fans, Dave could easily write sets where all types of fans walk away happy on a consistent basis
    DMB family type fans are the reason you get the shitty setlists you dont like!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #21114
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    DMB family type fans are the reason you get the shitty setlists you dont like!

Dave is the reason for shitty setlists
    Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #21115
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    A source leaked lyrics from a song tentatively titled “Come Tomorrow Again and Again”:

Toilet paper in hand,
    I ruined a great band,
    No one wants to hear it,
    but they pay and always cheer it,
    Its coming around again,
    The tour that never ends
    Youd hate to miss the greatest part,
    $120 bucks to hear me fart.
    I read this to the tune of Cigarette Lit
    Old 12-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #21116
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave is the reason for shitty setlists
    Sorry, in my head I meant "part of the reason". Its obviously not the only factor, its absolutely a factor imo.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #21117
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Which is exactly why I’m not buying that the “finishing touches” after the HB were true. I mean yeah maybe the album is “done” NOW, but it won’t be when Dave starts thinking about it again.

This could be a really special album but it needs to be released to be that.
    Seems like a stretch
    Old 12-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #21118
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can he? I don't think Dave is playing some elaborate game of "let's spite this type of fan tonight with this set". So that must mean it isn't very easy for him to do (even if it seems like it shouldn't be this difficult to us)
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #21119
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

DMB Family types have literally no standards. They are middle aged white women there to scream "YEAH DAVE" for three hours regardless of what they are playing. Casual and hardcore fans love their best songs and people range from maybe kinda liking to indifferent to deep hatred for stuff like Cant' Stop, Come Tomorrow, Etc that eats up sets. If the plan is fan retention and recruitment they are pretty shitty in that department too with the decisions they were making this fall.
    Old 12-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #21120
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

i love how everyone is assuming RCA doesn't like the album and is concerned about the quality of songs on it and how it will perform commercially.

dmb is a nostalgia act now. they were a hot band in the 90s and 00s but have been irrelevant since the the hype surrounding Big Whiskey died down.

i think dave and the band are bored / frustrated being the band from the early 90s that played c'ville bars and frat houses and still having to play those songs and be that act. go too far from your core sound and you alienate your fanbase, repeat what works and you're boring people. sometimes things just need to come to an end. release this album then call it a career and let everyone go off and do their own thing and release b-sides and rarities collections like nirvana for years afterwards.
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote