Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 284 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #8491
Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

I wouldn't call TSTJL "boring and lame", but it's one of my least favorite pre-SU songs.

I just can't form a connection with that song.

If I HAD to pick some songs that came close to boring and lame...probably Lover Lay Down and Christmas Song.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #8492
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty sure he isn't sitting around with so much anger , he loves playing and he is grateful for it while realizing there is a percentage of the fan base that is over the top obnoxious
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #8493
    jglizaze

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Do I need to find a different interview from the 2000s not involving LeRoi to make a point? Don't be naive... Dave had a completely different mentality on his fans in the 2000's era. Now he appears to focus on the 1% of loud angry folk and thus despises the whole community.
    He makes it pretty clear that he's speaking about the minority of fans that get upset about him doing what he wants to do that can kiss his ass imo. I didn't take that as him focusing on them.
    jglizaze is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #8494
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    Yep, just remember that while you call Dave an asshole for cutting The Last Stop jam, he's giving a fan with brain cancer one of the best moments of his life.

If there isn't video proof to rule it out can we really assume he didn't tell him to kiss his ass?
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #8495
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Pretty sure he isn't sitting around with so much anger , he loves playing and he is grateful for it while realizing there is a percentage of the fan base that is over the top obnoxious
    I would say the percentage is so minuscule that it shouldn't even be a blip on Dave's radar.

Not to mention there are crazed fans for every artist/band. If Dave doesn't realize that by now or still gets weirded out by some of the stalkers that perch themselves on the rail every show...

I don't understand how any of this affects him this much after 25+ years of being in the business, especially for not being on social media, for him to get publicly upset about it. Are people at the show talking shit about him when he's on stage? Doubt it. Are people reporting to him what fans are saying online? If so, why? Isn't that the point of not being a presence online?...to avoid that shit...

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #8496
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If there isn't video proof to rule it out can we really assume he didn't tell him to kiss his ass?
    He definitely did
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #8497
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Let’s ask the real question - who here would actually kiss his ass? I know you people are out there.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #8498
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Let’s ask the real question - who here would actually kiss his ass? I know you people are out there.
    I think most of them are at another site...
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #8499
    jglizaze

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    On the second paragraph, I definitely question supporting an artist who constantly talks negatively about his fans, so much so that he can’t stand fans who want to hear more of his music. And instead of playing more of his music, he plays 3-4 covers a show.

It’s weird to me that someone would feel so much anger against his very own fan base who simply love to hear his music. Obviously people like Lisa who are railed at every show and have a creepy full size Dave tattoo on her body give the impression we are all insane, but Dave is old enough to realize she and other psycho railheads represent 1% of the fan base.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden sat or sit around complaining about their hardcore fan base. On the other hand, playing devils advocate with myself, I bet they all do it behind doors, it’s just that Dave isn’t afraid to say it .
    I agree with your last paragraph but I feel like you're gaslighting a bit in the first paragraph. Do you think he plays covers to spite his fans that want to hear more of his music? I think he just plays covers because he likes them? Also I don't hear complaints from fans in here that want to hear more of his music as often as I hear complaints from fans that want to hear lillywhite era deep cuts.
    I don't agree with the premise that the fans he dislikes only want to hear more of his music. I think those fans want him to play what they want and not what he wants. those fans for the most part should kiss his ass imo
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #8500
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I mean there's no question if I was in his position there is a small percentage of the fan base that I would have the same mindset about, saying he is playing covers to spite the hardcore fans is just funny, he absolutely loves playing and puts a lot into every show to be at his best.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #8501
    jglizaze

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I would say the percentage is so minuscule that it shouldn't even be a blip on Dave's radar.

Not to mention there are crazed fans for every artist/band. If Dave doesn't realize that by now or still gets weirded out by some of the stalkers that perch themselves on the rail every show...

I don't understand how any of this affects him this much after 25+ years of being in the business, especially for not being on social media, for him to get publicly upset about it. Are people at the show talking shit about him when he's on stage? Doubt it. Are people reporting to him what fans are saying online? If so, why? Isn't that the point of not being a presence online?...to avoid that shit...
    I don't perceive Dave being bothered much or affected. He's made a couple of comments among thousands of other recorded comments that don't mention crazy fans.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #8502
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglizaze View Post
    I agree with your last paragraph but I feel like you're gaslighting a bit in the first paragraph. Do you think he plays covers to spite his fans that want to hear more of his music? I think he just plays covers because he likes them? Also I don't hear complaints from fans in here that want to hear more of his music as often as I hear complaints from fans that want to hear lillywhite era deep cuts.
    I don't agree with the premise that the fans he dislikes only want to hear more of his music. I think those fans want him to play what they want and not what he wants. those fans for the most part should kiss his ass imo
    I’m not sure. He has a proven track record of doing things (whether positively or negatively) because of his fans. Like the summer tour where he teased Pig at every show and talked over IEM how he won’t play it until the fans stop holding up signs.

I think it’s a bit naive to right him off and say he doesn’t passively aggressively write sets or do this or that because of fan behavior given he’s done it before.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #8503
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglizaze View Post
    I don't perceive Dave being bothered much or affected. He's made a couple of comments among thousands of other recorded comments that don't mention crazy fans.
    I'm just wondering for an artist that seems to be so proactive about not engaging these type of people, what happened to ruffle his feathers that much for him to tell people to kiss his ass. Or if he's just been harboring a grudge for that long...
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #8504
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean there's no question if I was in his position there is a small percentage of the fan base that I would have the same mindset about, saying he is playing covers to spite the hardcore fans is just funny, he absolutely loves playing and puts a lot into every show to be at his best.
    You remind me of a classic die hard Apple fan or _____ fill in the blank hardcore fan.

Even though Dave teased Pig for an entire summer because he was annoyed with his fans wanting to hear Pig, it’s somehow super far fetched to think he’s playing more covers than ever at a time where fans are increasingly asking for rarities or setlist variety on social media? Climb out of that asshole of yours and wake up!
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #8505
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think Dave plays covers, or any songs for that matter, to spite anyone. I think he genuinely likes playing whatever he plays.

I do think he actively avoids playing some songs that he knows hardcore fans want to hear under the egocentric/lazy guise of "I play what I like". I don't think he necessarily dislikes the songs per se. I think he dislikes being told what to do and/or going out of his comfort zone.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #8506
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You remind me of a classic die hard Apple fan or _____ fill in the blank hardcore fan.

Even though Dave teased Pig for an entire summer because he was annoyed with his fans wanting to hear Pig, it’s somehow super far fetched to think he’s playing more covers than ever at a time where fans are increasingly asking for rarities or setlist variety on social media? Climb out of that asshole of yours and wake up!

wtf does the last part even mean? Sorry you are so upset by DMB playing a new cover that hardcore fans were raving about after the show, the crowd lost their shit over, etc. as a nod to the 40th anniversary of disco demolition night. I suppose their other covers like Watchtower and The Maker upset you as well, I'm as sick of Sledgehammer as anyone else
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #8507
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think Dave plays covers, or any songs for that matter, to spite anyone. I think he genuinely likes playing whatever he plays.

I do think he actively avoids playing some songs that he knows hardcore fans want to hear under the egocentric/lazy guise of "I play what I like".
    Agree with the second paragraph.

Quote:
    wtf does the last part even mean? Sorry you are so upset by DMB playing a new cover that hardcore fans were raving about after the show, the crowd lost their shit over, etc. as a nod to the 40th anniversary of disco demolition night. I suppose their other covers like Watchtower and The Maker upset you as well, I'm as sick of Sledgehammer as anyone else
    It means that in your world, Dave can do no wrong. Dave could lip sync the whole show, or use a hologram for the rest of the summer, and you’d defend him with something along the lines of ‘he needs a break. He’s only doing it to rest his voice’ or some other nonsense.

Hell, Dave could throw his feces at you and you’d be excited about it. I’m done on this one.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #8508
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It means that in your world, Dave can do no wrong. Dave could lip sync the whole show, or use a hologram for the rest of the summer, and you’d defend him with something along the lines of ‘he needs a break. He’s only doing it to rest his voice’ or some other nonsense.

Hell, Dave could throw his feces at you and you’d be excited about it. I’m done on this one.

This post shows how out of touch you are, sums it up nicely
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #8509
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This post shows how out of touch you are, sums it up nicely
    Out of touch with what? With Dave? You seem like you’re newer to the scene and weren’t around when Dave portrayed himself as humble so you haven’t observed how much he’s changed.

One can argue wether or not a fan should care about how Dave says things or what not - I’m all for someone arguing I shouldn’t or should care. But you definitely are the type to defend his every move. That’s all I’m saying. That’s never a good thing.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #8510
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As a one off, it was cool. As something that appears to be sticking in rotation, there have been plenty of complaints about that.

When Sugar Will and a barely recognizable Last Stop are your biggest contributions to hardcore fans, they have a right to be upset. The top 30 songs played are a who's who of covers, singles, CT, and newer upbeat songs. Pretty much nothing hardcore fans are asking for. The songs people are asking for haven't been played or are out of rotation already after 1-4 plays earlier this tour.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-24-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #8511
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Out of touch with what? With Dave? You seem like you’re newer to the scene and weren’t around when Dave portrayed himself as humble so you haven’t scene how much he’s changed.

One can argue wether or not a fan should care about how Dave says things or what not - I’m all for someone arguing I shouldn’t or should care. But you definitely are the type to defend his every move. That’s all I’m saying. That’s never a good thing.

Dave and / or DMB points I've made recently

* RR can leave
    * Cutting Last Stop short sucks
    * Cutting Two Step short sucks
    * Current Everyday sucks
    * AFTW is pointless drivel
    * DMB should be playing right up until curfew always
    * His falsetto on DDTW with the full band is horrible
    * The entire European tour was terrible, setlists were a joke
    * The one show I went to this tour was average at best
    * I wish he would do a US solo tour and think it's crazy he never has

list goes on, but you choose to ignore all of that apparently
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #8512
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Also as for newer to the scene - if being a fan since 1998 is newer then sure
    Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #8513
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

* RR can leave
    * Current Everyday sucks

What show did you hit this year?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #8514
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    What show did you hit this year?

Mansfield, one step forward one step back the whole time
    Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #8515
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oof, I skipped Hartford because of Mansfield lol.
    Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #8516
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oof, I skipped Hartford because of Mansfield lol.

I wish I went to Hartford instead, not to mention having beer dumped on me and not getting out of the parking lot until after 1am

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 07-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Old 07-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #8517
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I got you. We enjoyed Mansfield overall, but last year was so much better and it tricked us into going again this year. Hartford was a significantly better show overall, but last year's Mans/ford shows were much better for us...except for the SU duo main set closer and Space E1... Two songs from ED and/or SU should NEVER be played back to back, let alone three! And to have them end the main set...youch! That said, Hartford 2018: Granny, SoL TD, Captain TD, and the ONLY summer tour play of BBB...it was a great show.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #8518
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wish I went to Hartford instead, not to mention having beer dumped on me and not getting out of the parking lot until after 1am
    I would have really enjoyed Hartford, but I don't regret not going. You Never Know and Halloween would have definitely been cool to see again though.
    Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #8519
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

* RR can leave
    * Current Everyday sucks

I don’t keep a diary of your complaints/criticism nor do I follow every post on here. So my bad for assuming you were a sheep.

Still stand by whatever I said in terms of Dave and how he views his fans. But, we don’t have to revisit that again.

Just be honest, you want When I’m Weary in the E1 slot with Mark Batson. Once you get that, you’re out.
    Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #8520
    triplechin89

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

* RR can leave
    * Current Everyday sucks

This is the best Everyday has sounded in years. The piano/vocal solos are a great way to showcase Buddy, which they clearly want to do. There are some drawbacks to the current makeup of the band, but Everyday is not one of them.
    triplechin89 is offline   Reply With Quote