** College Football Season ** - Page 4899 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #146941
MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** College Football Season **

Penn State's program is super impressive and I think they can easily be perennially ranked between 5-15 from here on out with what Franklin has established. At the same time, Ohio State is one of like four teams that is just entering a different stratosphere over the last few years.

Put another way, I think Penn State is good enough that in any given year (including this year) they could beat Ohio State in a one-off game if things went the right way. But I think Ohio State is the only one of them that is good enough to win a title in any given year (or this year).

Last edited by MOWJO8185; 09-18-2020 at 02:46 PM.
MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #146942
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Penn State's program is super impressive and I think they can easily be perennially ranked between 5-15 from here on out with what Franklin has established. At the same time, Ohio State is one of like four teams that is just entering a different stratosphere over the last few years.

Put another way, I think Penn State is good enough that in any given year (including this year) they could beat Ohio State in a one-off game if things went the right way. But I think Ohio State is the only one of them that is good enough to win a title in any given year (or this year).
    This is obvious stuff, but if you're talking to someone like Crush, who thinks Penn State is closing the gap, when the gap is getting bigger, obvious stuff might need to be spelled out. I'm not going an expert on Penn State's roster, but as far as I can tell, the only starter on Penn State who would start on Ohio State is their TE. Penn State isn't a slouch though, and could beat Ohio State this year, or another year when they have less talent, but the gap is increasing, not decreasing.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #146943
    Balor3012

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure Ok State is going to the playoff
    Balor3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #146944
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure any Big 12 team is going to the playoffs.
    Old 09-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #146945
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Ok State, your backup QBs....Woof!

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #146946
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

SEC: You have to give up your cupcakes and play two extra conference games.

ACC: Sure, Clemson, you can still play The Citadel.
    Old 09-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #146947
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

** College Football Season **

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    SEC: You have to give up your cupcakes and play two extra conference games.

ACC: Sure, Clemson, you can still play The Citadel.

Meh, ACC has two extra conference games too. They are just playing one more game total than the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MOWJO8185; 09-19-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #146948
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Meh, ACC has two extra conference games too. They are just playing one more game total than the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't categorize The Citadel as an extra game.
    Old 09-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #146949
    pearljammer

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Either ABC put their mics in just the right spot, or UL is doing a good job of pumping in authentic sounding crowd noise because this is the best sounding game i've heard so far this season. Also, the refs need to ditch the electronic whistles. I understand why they're using them, but i've seen several plays where half the players continued playing because they didn't hear the "whistle" and that will eventually get someone hurt.
    pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #146950
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah just from the limited action I’ve watched the first two weeks, the electronic whistles aren’t working.
    Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #146951
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah just from the limited action I’ve watched the first two weeks, the electronic whistles aren’t working.

And i'm sure the refs have to test COVID negative just like the players do. Not gonna bitch too much, since i'm just glad we're able to have a season, but I do think they need to reconsider.
    Old 09-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #146952
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Saw this on Twitter (on Nebraska's schedule):

The Big Ten caught Nebraska with a cigarette and now they’re gonna make us smoke the whole fucking carton.
    UNLTrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #146953
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNLTrpt View Post
    Saw this on Twitter (on Nebraska's schedule):

The Big Ten caught Nebraska with a cigarette and now they’re gonna make us smoke the whole fucking carton.
    Haha, at least you get that game out of the way.
    Old 09-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #146954
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post

When your stadium is only 25% full or less, a home game is not a home game.

Bottom line is that Ohio State is actually increasing their talent advantage over Penn State, and to go along with Ohio State's coaching advantage, I don't see Penn State winning more than 1/3 of the games over the next decade or so.
    What kinda game is it then? Is it away game? Sure it's not going to be a Whiteout that would certainly give PSU a boost in the game but with everything going on, having a home game is still important these days.

Also, I know this will sound like CrUsH iS So BIaS but let's see how year 4 or 5 is going for Ryan Day before we crown him as the next best college coach. Let's not pretend like he didn't walk into an amazing situation.

As far as people who would start on Ohio St, it would be more than just the starting TE. PSU is actually starting to develop their players and turn them into top college & NFL players.

Quote:

Quote:
    This is obvious stuff, but if you're talking to someone like Crush, who thinks Penn State is closing the gap, when the gap is getting bigger, obvious stuff might need to be spelled out. I'm not going an expert on Penn State's roster, but as far as I can tell, the only starter on Penn State who would start on Ohio State is their TE. Penn State isn't a slouch though, and could beat Ohio State this year, or another year when they have less talent, but the gap is increasing, not decreasing.
    I still don't believe the gap is increasing. Ohio St has been where it's been, they are obviously the team to beat in the B1G but as MowJo said PSU can easily be ranked in the top 10 or higher consistently (consistently being the key word). That is only going to help them long term.

Also as MowJo said they can beat Ohio St any year which I agree and you are sayin they are no slouch but you've also said in here "they are awful on defense, QB is mediocre, don't have anyone that would start on Ohio St, and that it would be a 30 pt win" So what is it?
    CrushB610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #146955
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

UCF already forgetting their place again after beating one of the worst teams in the ACC.
    Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #146956
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
    Haha, at least you get that game out of the way.
    Then Wisconsin...two weeks later Penn St.
    UNLTrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #146957
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    What kinda game is it then? Is it away game? Sure it's not going to be a Whiteout that would certainly give PSU a boost in the game but with everything going on, having a home game is still important these days.

Also, I know this will sound like CrUsH iS So BIaS but let's see how year 4 or 5 is going for Ryan Day before we crown him as the next best college coach. Let's not pretend like he didn't walk into an amazing situation.

As far as people who would start on Ohio St, it would be more than just the starting TE. PSU is actually starting to develop their players and turn them into top college & NFL players.

I still don't believe the gap is increasing. Ohio St has been where it's been, they are obviously the team to beat in the B1G but as MowJo said PSU can easily be ranked in the top 10 or higher consistently (consistently being the key word). That is only going to help them long term.

Also as MowJo said they can beat Ohio St any year which I agree and you are sayin they are no slouch but you've also said in here "they are awful on defense, QB is mediocre, don't have anyone that would start on Ohio St, and that it would be a 30 pt win" So what is it?
    Let's make this short & sweet
    1). Can you point to where I said Penn State has an awful defense? You yourself called the defense "good enough" (which translates to average) and yet said they are going to make the playoff. I happen to think your delusional about the type of talent it takes to the make the playoff.

2). If you disagree on my statement that only one player on Penn State would for sure start on Ohio State, maybe name a few?

3). If you think playing in front of 15,000 fans (or less) in State College is going to give an advantage to Penn State that typical home field advantage gives - and are counting on that advantage as a significant factor in a game, playoff level talent level isn't the only thing your delusional about.

4). Still waiting for any data that shows Penn State is closing the gap with Ohio State.

5). Despite the talent advantage of Ohio State, saying Penn State could win their game is not contradictory. Less talented teams beat more talented teams in college football every single week. Some of the recent Big 10 defeats Ohio State has had the last few years have been to teams with significantly less talent. It happens.
    Old 09-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #146958
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Penn State is going to have an awful defense this year; plus Franklin has trouble beating Ohio State.

Get ready for a college football playoff final of 9-3 Alabama vs 7-0 Ohio State.
    1. Here

Quote:
    Let's make this short & sweet
    1). Can you point to where I said Penn State has an awful defense? You yourself called the defense "good enough" (which translates to average) and yet said they are going to make the playoff. I happen to think your delusional about the type of talent it takes to the make the playoff.

2). If you disagree on my statement that only one player on Penn State would for sure start on Ohio State, maybe name a few?

3). If you think playing in front of 15,000 fans (or less) in State College is going to give an advantage to Penn State that typical home field advantage gives - and are counting on that advantage as a significant factor in a game, playoff level talent level isn't the only thing your delusional about.

4). Still waiting for any data that shows Penn State is closing the gap with Ohio State.

5). Despite the talent advantage of Ohio State, saying Penn State could win their game is not contradictory. Less talented teams beat more talented teams in college football every single week. Some of the recent Big 10 defeats Ohio State has had the last few years have been to teams with significantly less talent. It happens.
    2. Journey Brown is a 1st Team All Big 10 RB selection, Noah Cain the 2nd back was better than Journey was before getting banged up. A sophomore and true Freshman respectively last season. PSU arguably has the best RB corps in the nation. Parsons would've been the best player on the Ohio St defense if he was still playing, Friermuth as you mentioned. Shaka Toney 2nd team All Big last year is back. Tariq Castro Fields is another guy that would probably start at CB and Lamont Wade might start at Safety. I'm not going to go in depth on OL as I know Ohio St would probably own that category but PSU also has some solid players up front.

3. Where did I say it was a significant advantage? If you don't think with all the regulations and restrictions and stuff that being at home the week of the game and gameday doesn't at least help ya then Idk what to say.

4. I think we've both shared enough of our thoughts on this.

5. This isn't a question.
    CrushB610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #146959
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1. Here
    Thanks. Truthfully, I was exaggerating - I think Penn State, just like you, will have an average defense this season without Parsons. Certainly not good enough to make the playing.

Quote:

2. Journey Brown is a 1st Team All Big 10 RB selection, Noah Cain the 2nd back was better than Journey was before getting banged up. A sophomore and true Freshman respectively last season. PSU arguably has the best RB corps in the nation. Parsons would've been the best player on the Ohio St defense if he was still playing, Friermuth as you mentioned. Shaka Toney 2nd team All Big last year is back. Tariq Castro Fields is another guy that would probably start at CB and Lamont Wade might start at Safety. I'm not going to go in depth on OL as I know Ohio St would probably own that category but PSU also has some solid players up front.
    Lamont Wade is probably #2. Journey Brown...maybe, but probably not. The rest of the guys you listed wouldn't make the first team with the Buckeyes. Point stands on the talent difference.
    Quote:
    3. Where did I say it was a significant advantage? If you don't think with all the regulations and restrictions and stuff that being at home the week of the game and gameday doesn't at least help ya then Idk what to say.
    Don't say anything. Just like Ohio Statet being home against Michigan, it's irrelevant this season.

Good luck this season..
    Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #146960
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

ND/Wake postponed for positive tests on ND side. I wonder if anyone will make it through their entire schedule without losing (to cancellation) at least one game.
    Old 09-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #146961
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ND/Wake postponed for positive tests on ND side. I wonder if anyone will make it through their entire schedule without losing (to cancellation) at least one game.

BIG10 teams better hope they do. No room for error.
    Old 09-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #146962
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

What are we gonna do at the end of the season/when playoff selection happens and some teams are 9-1 and others are 5-0 due to COVID cancellations or late season starts? How do you judge a team with far fewer games against a team that's played more, but may have dropped one?
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #146963
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    What are we gonna do at the end of the season/when playoff selection happens and some teams are 9-1 and others are 5-0 due to COVID cancellations or late season starts? How do you judge a team with far fewer games against a team that's played more, but may have dropped one?

64 team playoff.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2020, 05:30 AM   #146964
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Ready for some big boy football today!
    Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #146965
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ready for some big boy football today!

NFL is on Sundays.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #146966
    Balor3012

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Horrific pick by Florida. College football is back!
    Balor3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #146967
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Kyle Trask is so good, I love this kid.
    Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #146968
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Kyle Trask is so good, I love this kid.

A baller.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #146969
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Oklahoma. Woof.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #146970
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Oklahoma State's '87 throwback unis for today are excellent.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    football , ncaa