COVID-19/new coronavirus thread - Page 247 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #7381
podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: COVID-19/new coronavirus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
Honestly nothing I've done outdoors has made me the least bit nervous. I haven't been in a crowded outdoor audience or assembly of any sort which is the only sort of outdoor activity I can imagine being uneasy about. Backyard gatherings I've been all about, I don't really fret about momentary closeness, it never adds up to 15 minutes maskless. I'd be pissed and worried if someone sneezed on me though.

Indoors, I have zero desire to go to a restaurant. Longer period of time in a smaller space where a good portion of the time will be spent maskless is a no for me. I wouldn't have any issue going to a mall though.
This is basically me as well. Despite my poorly received opinion on case numbers, I believe I am properly cautious as well. I live in a rural community with relatively low covid presence, so it's easier to be "covid social", as I've dubbed it. Winter weather is setting in, and gathering in people's backyards isn't going to be as easy to do. I'm all for building a nice bonfire and hanging out in a friends backyard, and I respect they may not want me to come into their house.
podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #7382
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    So with the hiking thing, the CDC says exposure equals 15 minutes of close proximity ( less than 6 ft ) and neither person wearing a mask. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Even the Drive in concert really doesn't fit the description. I understand the concern but we can't let it drive us to the point we forget to enjoy life to an extent.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I think you can probably be at ease, to be honest, especially if most of your interaction was outdoors. I think the chances of catching this thing outside is pretty slim unless you're packing into the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and hugging people.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I don't mean to discredit your fears/anxieties, but my dude, you are totally fine. You were outside, you were 6+ feet away from people most of the time...this is nothing.

We've been out to eat indoors and outdoors, been to parks, been to the mall, been golfing, all within the past two weeks. Life can be pretty normal if you comply with masks and distancing, which it seems you did.

And with the positivity rate being what it is, even assuming on the high end (10%+), that's still a really low risk of transmission even on the rare occasions it did seem you were closer to people.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    We’ve been hiking from the very beginning, usually single track trails. No masks.

Some people raise them when they pass people, we always try to move off trail if possible but you can’t help sometimes passing someone no mask to no mask.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Yea, just passing someone maskless won't get you the virus. It's being in close proximity to others for an extended period time where you're at a significant risk of exposure.
    Quote:
    Honestly nothing I've done outdoors has made me the least bit nervous. I haven't been in a crowded outdoor audience or assembly of any sort which is the only sort of outdoor activity I can imagine being uneasy about. Backyard gatherings I've been all about, I don't really fret about momentary closeness, it never adds up to 15 minutes maskless. I'd be pissed and worried if someone sneezed on me though.

Indoors, I have zero desire to go to a restaurant. Longer period of time in a smaller space where a good portion of the time will be spent maskless is a no for me. I wouldn't have any issue going to a mall though.

Appreciate y'all! This has definitely eased my concerns a good deal.

Like I said, I rarely get out these days and most of the days I spend reading horror news stories about the virus. I know I would likely be fine if I get it but I'm very concerned with spreading it to others. That almost freaks me out more than some freak underlying condition that could send me to the ICU.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #7383
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post

Like I said, I rarely get out these days and most of the days I spend reading horror news stories about the virus. I know I would likely be fine if I get it but I'm very concerned with spreading it to others. That almost freaks me out more than some freak underlying condition that could send me to the ICU.
    I think there's a fine line between becoming comfortable with this and becoming TOO comfortable with this. Like, when it all started, grocery outings and just being around almost anyone made me very uncomfortable. It took going out in those situations a few times and then just reading and learning more about the environments that seemed to truly indicate a stronger likelihood of spread that made me comfortable with those outings. Similar with some backyard hangouts I've had.

But I don't want to become TOO comfortable. I'm sure I could have indoor gatherings with friends many times and have nothing happen and become more and more comfortable with it, but I know the risk is worse in those environments and that, like you said, I could feel perfectly fine and pass it along to them. It just feels most prudent for me to not.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #7384
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Trust me, I understand.
    After my first trip inside a store back in the spring, the cashier didn’t wear a mask (it was at a dairy farm run by Mennonites). Even though I wore mine and the encounter was only a minute or two, I sneezed later that week and was convinced I had it. That was my first covid test experience.
    So I get it, especially if you haven’t ventured out much.

But outdoor activities are typically low risk and it sounds like you did the right things (wore a mask and kept distanced when you could). Plus, the whole prolonged exposure - you’re not going to get it just by passing someone, especially outside.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #7385
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

But I don't want to become TOO comfortable. I'm sure I could have indoor gatherings with friends many times and have nothing happen and become more and more comfortable with it, but I know the risk is worse in those environments and that, like you said, I could feel perfectly fine and pass it along to them. It just feels most prudent for me to not.
    I haven’t done much socially. Went to the pool and golfed a lot, but that was still with immediate family. (And by pool - it rarely had more than 3 families there at a time and we left any time it was busier than that).

But I have recently had a few outdoor dinners or drinks with neighbors.
    Started getting pretty comfortable with that. But now with the weather, that’s about coming to an end. This Friday, I was invited to an indoor gathering with some Moms from school. I was *this close* to going, until my son came home from school today saying one of the kids (whose mother would be there Friday) is out with the flu.

I don’t know if the kid has the flu or what he has, but regardless I don’t want it, so that snapped me back to reality that an indoor event is pretty stupid right now.

It is going to stink, but we’re just not going to be very social this winter.
    Fortunately, the family skis, so we’ll still have an outdoor activity.
    Old 10-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #7386
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I've definitely loosened my grip on how cautious I am the past couple of months. I mostly have gotten back to some sense of normality, just constantly masked up.
    Did a road trip in Sept up the coast, saw some friends and stayed at multiple airbnbs/hotels along the way. Have been playing volleyball with friends, got pulled into a brewery crawl last Saturday, and have eaten at a few restaurants (outside).

Things are gonna get a little sketchy now, though. My in-laws are flying out here for a week stay, then my Mom is supposed to fly out early November. She's kinda on the fence. I don't love the idea of them hopping on a plane, having to go through JFK/LGA.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2020, 04:23 AM   #7387
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Spend more time doing the bold and less doing the underlined if you can. Even if going out is just walking around the neighborhood for half an hour. I was the same way, not leaving for anything, just consuming news (good bad and otherwise), it started to take a toll. It's especially good to take advantage now before weather and daylight force you in.

Sounds weird but I read that article that went around that said viral load is based on time vs space vs people. I create imaginary equations that help me assess situations. I'll be at an outdoor park with people around but at a distance and feel comfortable being there for an hour or more, but walk inside a crowded post office and I'll nope right out of there. For me, it mentally puts me at ease.

Give yourself mental breaks and do something physical. But you're not alone and you're not crazy for feeling the way you do (something my family made me feel constantly).
    Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 AM   #7388
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Just to be clear when I say spend more time doing the bold I mean get out more, don't spend more time rarely getting out
    Old 10-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #7389
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Spend more time doing the bold and less doing the underlined if you can. Even if going out is just walking around the neighborhood for half an hour. I was the same way, not leaving for anything, just consuming news (good bad and otherwise), it started to take a toll. It's especially good to take advantage now before weather and daylight force you in.

Sounds weird but I read that article that went around that said viral load is based on time vs space vs people. I create imaginary equations that help me assess situations. I'll be at an outdoor park with people around but at a distance and feel comfortable being there for an hour or more, but walk inside a crowded post office and I'll nope right out of there. For me, it mentally puts me at ease.

Give yourself mental breaks and do something physical. But you're not alone and you're not crazy for feeling the way you do (something my family made me feel constantly).
    I do get out during the week. Before I injured my ankle I'd go running several times a week, and I was biking 3x week too (now I got a flat that needs fixing). When I say I don't get out I more so mean, I don't get in my car for 3-4 days at a time. I spend a little time outside almost every day, whether that's in my backyard or neighborhood.

On the weekends, I'll go shopping with my wife some. Lots of trips to Home Depot, but those are in-out and have good masks usage for the most part. Thing is most of the things I enjoy doing are shut down. Movies, concerts, sporting events, etc. Everything else I enjoy is at home.
    Old 10-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #7390
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think there's a fine line between becoming comfortable with this and becoming TOO comfortable with this. Like, when it all started, grocery outings and just being around almost anyone made me very uncomfortable. It took going out in those situations a few times and then just reading and learning more about the environments that seemed to truly indicate a stronger likelihood of spread that made me comfortable with those outings. Similar with some backyard hangouts I've had.

That's how I am. I'm not afraid to walk around a mall or go into a store while wearing a mask. I don't want people on top of me while in line though. I'll still tell someone to back up if I have to. The weirdness I felt in April-June is gone, but I still wear a mask and have no problem doing so.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #7391
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Wife's hospital is out of bed in their COVID unit, expanding into the remaining ICU beds. They are concerned come fall (November) they are going to be overwhelmed and overflowing. Not great.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Just curious: how many beds are full?
    Quote:
    Wife says right now that 25 beds are reserved for COVID and the unit is full. She expects next week to have to start eating into the remaining ICU.
    Update: now at 43 COVID patients, utilizing all 25 rooms on the COVID-specific floors/wings, and a new section of the CCU has been added to COVID allocation. 20 of the patients are vented. They tend not to "get back" many folks once they hit the vent.

It's not just going away, we're not around the corner. This is still bad and getting worse.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #7392
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

BTBaboon, where ya at?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #7393
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

protect the old and vulnerable!

Interesting CDC finding here that the “excess death” rate among 25-44 year-olds is up 26.5 percent over previous years, the largest change for any age group.

https://twitter.com/mikedelmoro/stat...102718465?s=21

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #7394
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    protect the old and vulnerable!

Interesting CDC finding here that the “excess death” rate among 25-44 year-olds is up 26.5 percent over previous years, the largest change for any age group.

https://twitter.com/mikedelmoro/stat...102718465?s=21
    Deep breath.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #7395
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I did see a story today that people are seeking mental health services more so than ever (particularly in the 24-44 demo) due to additional stress added by the pandemic. I wonder if there will be additional data as to excess deaths being caused via suicide/overdose etc.
    Old 10-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #7396
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I did see a story today that people are seeking mental health services more so than ever (particularly in the 24-44 demo) due to additional stress added by the pandemic. I wonder if there will be additional data as to excess deaths being caused via suicide/overdose etc.
    the article I posted goes into that a bit, with that undoubtedly being part of it. there's still a lot that we don't really know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #7397
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Data day and I'm not going to get into the numbers except that we are at the end of September and we still have excess deaths.

Levitt hasn't updated when he thinks excess deaths will stop yet so maybe he's learned his lesson now that he sees that excess deaths hasn't stopped and we are back on the upswing of cases, hospitalizations and (soon) deaths.

Another argument that will just go into the void and we will get a new goal post as to why covid is over or not a big deal.

Last edited by cazzie34; 10-21-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #7398
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Got my test back from last week and tested positive. Haven’t had any symptoms in over a week other than some sinus stuff, but that’s par for the course this time of year. Glad I can work from home.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #7399
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Got my test back from last week and tested positive. Haven’t had any symptoms in over a week other than some sinus stuff, but that’s par for the course this time of year. Glad I can work from home.
    Take care of yourself!
    Good news that you have relatively little symptoms.
    Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #7400
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good to hear you're at least feeling better. Glad you got that positive test too for clarity's sake.

Hope you get on the mend real fast and test negative again soo.
    Old 10-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #7401
    diableri
    Stay Limber

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Glad to see you’re doing ok man. Get that extra rest if you can.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #7402
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like North Dakota is effectively overrun right now. 17 total icu beds available throughout the state (they obviously don't have many to begin with but no individual hospital has more than 3 icu beds available)

Wisconsins field hospital, which has been open maybe a little over a week, just got it's first patient.
    Old 10-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #7403
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Really interesting article about how Pfizer is going to distribute the vaccine. Skipping the middle man and handling it themselves. Sounds like they have a super plan in place.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-...gn-11603272614
    Old 10-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #7404
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Spent all day working with hospitals outside the urban core on surge plans. Hospital leadership on the clinical, procurement, and facilities side is just so damn competent and composed.

I really do worry about the mental health of all the healthcare workers. They’re totally burnt out, and I heard several people say they’ve just learned to not look in windows to get through the day.
    Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #7405
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    BTBaboon, where ya at?
    Eastern Tennessee (Knox County)

Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #7406
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Spent all day working with hospitals outside the urban core on surge plans. Hospital leadership on the clinical, procurement, and facilities side is just so damn competent and composed.

I really do worry about the mental health of all the healthcare workers. They’re totally burnt out, and I heard several people say they’ve just learned to not look in windows to get through the day.
    First paragraph: great to hear!

Second paragraph: agreed. totally underlooked problem with this pandemic. Lots of people work in healthcare. Slapping them in the face because people can't go without eating at a restaurant is going to take a toll.
    Old 10-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #7407
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Really interesting article about how Pfizer is going to distribute the vaccine. Skipping the middle man and handling it themselves. Sounds like they have a super plan in place.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-...gn-11603272614

Thanks for posting, this kind of stuff is right up my alley
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #7408
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post

Second paragraph: agreed. totally underlooked problem with this pandemic. Lots of people work in healthcare. Slapping them in the face because people can't go without eating at a restaurant is going to take a toll.
    My wife was livid when we went for a run on a nearby trail, which at one point goes past a small park with lake access and an enclosed pavilion, and saw an enormous bridal shower taking place in the pavilion. Probably 50 people, indoors, in a county/state with a growing COVID spike. No masks, no distancing. Young friends and old relatives in attendance.

My wife turns and says to me "great, those will be my "customers" next week".

As I've mentioned, the numbers at the hospital she works at are reaching a critical point with the virus. She's sick and tired of careless behavior and activities bringing her more folks on vents to be rolling over daily. She's more worn out by this than anything I've ever seen with her. It's taking a huge toll. And I feel terrible because I can't do anything to help.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #7409
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post

I’ve dealt with a lot of medical people. Some of them think this is the end of this world. Some of them haven’t changed their life. Some of them make my opinions seems pretty mild.

The people in the ER and Critical Care are heroes. Seems like watching someone die surrounded by friends and family or by extreme trauma is something you grow equipped to. Seeing someone dying over a week or two isolated and alone while the family checks in on FaceTime just isn’t something anyone was ready for.
    Old 10-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #7410
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My wife was livid when we went for a run on a nearby trail, which at one point goes past a small park with lake access and an enclosed pavilion, and saw an enormous bridal shower taking place in the pavilion. Probably 50 people, indoors, in a county/state with a growing COVID spike. No masks, no distancing. Young friends and old relatives in attendance.

My wife turns and says to me "great, those will be my "customers" next week".

As I've mentioned, the numbers at the hospital she works at are reaching a critical point with the virus. She's sick and tired of careless behavior and activities bringing her more folks on vents to be rolling over daily. She's more worn out by this than anything I've ever seen with her. It's taking a huge toll. And I feel terrible because I can't do anything to help.
    I think we need to keep an open mind.

My buddy who had his cancer diagnosis delayed back in March is really struggling. His cancer doctors says he should stay at home and isolate. His palliative care team sees him falling apart without friends and family. He had people over 2 weeks back. More than he should have. We probably did a lot of shit we shouldn’t have, but there is no doubt in my mind it was worth it for he and his wife.