Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #751
Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post

Bands/artists just don't announce their new stuff anymore. Look at (previously mentioned) Taylor Swift and Eminem. Both of them dropped their last 4 albums without any prior notification. We basically found out day of.
Anymore they really don't need to. When physical media was the primary access point, a release had to be hyped for the retailer to recoup the money spent on the order, the manufacturer costs for production, the ditributor for delivery costs, the label for studio and mastering costs, and so on. They had to know what kind of interest there was or could drum up in order to validate a high print run. Now that's less of a concern, and physical media is almost an afterthought. Hyping a primarily digital purchase is a mixed bag anymore, so why bother with the cost if you're a high profile act? Taylor Swift wouldn't need to promote a single thing right now and it'd sell once it shows up; an act like Haim needs to figure out how to get noticed because Taylor Swift sneexes and everyone lines up to throw away her tissue.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #752
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 31

...sigh...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #753
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB is a touring band. They won't release a new album until touring is safe again. If any new music, I'd say July/August is a safe bet.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #754
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 66

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    DMB is a touring band. They won't release a new album until touring is safe again. If any new music, I'd say July/August is a safe bet.
    So is pretty much every band. It's not like Taylor Swift has historically released albums without tours. Or any of the other massive acts that have released music during this past year. And it's not like there's a pandemic every three years to set a precedent. Dave wrote an album; the band recorded an album.

At some point they will release that album. Even if it's tomorrow and they don't tour until 2022, they'll still play songs from the album because it will be their latest album.

With the shift towards more digital media, I think it is absolutely fair to speculate there could be an announcement that an album is coming spring or early summer.
    Old 01-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #755
    YankeesDMB41
    TB12 4 Life

Shows Seen: 44

I can't think of a band that didn't consistently tour to support a new album
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #756
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    The only artist I could think that never really toured, much less toured to support an album, is Harry Nilsson.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #757
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 103

Quote:
    Basically every single band has been forced to become a "touring band" since it's the only way for artists not named Adele, or Taylor Swift, to make substantial money in the digital age. Long gone are the days when artists could make millions from record sales
    Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #758
    Route_2
    Massive Dumps

Shows Seen: 64
    Send a message via MSN to Route_2

Quote:
    The Beatles
    Old 01-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #759
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 13

I hope they won't wait until a proper tour to release it, sitting on a finished album for a year and a half would be such a waste. But it's hard to guess how or when we'll hear about it because every other album has been announced with tour info, so we don't have a great estimate for how they would handle an album announcement during all this. Maybe it'll be paired with a LT or a new vinyl pressing- I'm still hoping for sometime in the next couple weeks. I really want some more info, because the things we've heard so far seem to be really interesting.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #760
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    So is pretty much every band. It's not like Taylor Swift has historically released albums without tours. Or any of the other massive acts that have released music during this past year. And it's not like there's a pandemic every three years to set a precedent. Dave wrote an album; the band recorded an album.

At some point they will release that album. Even if it's tomorrow and they don't tour until 2022, they'll still play songs from the album because it will be their latest album.

With the shift towards more digital media, I think it is absolutely fair to speculate there could be an announcement that an album is coming spring or early summer.
    I would be surprised if DMB waited until 2022 to release the album. With no shows likely happening in 2021, you'd think they'd want to get something out there now. Phish released Sigma Oasis and didn't tour for it (as far as I know; I'm not a Phish fan).

I like that the Foo Fighters are releasing their album soon - it was finished in January 2020, set for an early summer 2020 release with the tour, etc... Dave said, "Screw it, let's get it out to people" and it's coming next month.

Piggybacking on the Taylor Swift comments... both Folklore and Evermore are really, really good albums. Some of her best work. What's astonishing to me is that Evermore was written VERY quickly after Folklore was released; she was rehearsing for the Folklore live release she did, and just kept churning out songs... so there's the second album. A+. It's even crazier because she now has three albums she hasn't toured for at all. Lover was released in 2019 and she decided for the first time to not embark on a tour immediately (she was tired of the album -> tour -> album -> tour non stop cycle)... she scheduled some summer 2020 shows for it and look what happened. I wonder if she regrets that or not. Probably not.

Anyway - DMB clearly has enough material to release their album this year and if they get bored with no shows and want to continue writing? Fantastic, keep things going and maybe they'll churn out even more material.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #761
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

If these guys got together and recorded an album, why not release it some point this year? What if they announced the album, then also announced a two or three live shows to stream on Youtube? Set up the stage at John Paul Jones arena and stream two or three shows. If they recorded together, they shouldn't be to afraid to perform together for two or three nights.

*Ninja edit. Then over the Labor Day weekend, DMB could go to The Gorge unannounced and perform three more shows from there. Streamed on YouTube of course.

Last edited by K270; 01-13-2021 at 12:25 AM.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #762
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 29

Not really new album related, but I feel like DMB has gone dark since the Dave & Carter “Warehouse Session”, and now there’s nothing to look ahead to. They should bring back the Drive-Ins at least...at least those got people talking/thinking about the band.

Their management/marketing/whatever you want to call it is lame, out of touch, and LAZY, but I think we all know this ready.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 01:24 AM   #763
    grilldanmo

Quote:
    The Beatles stopped touring after '66, but it was in part because of the lack of PAs that would allow them to be heard over the screaming of the girls/women in the audience. The could sell out Shea Stadium (and did), but there was not yet a quality sound system that could really fill a stadium, let alone compete w/ the aforementioned screaming women.

Steely Dan stopped touring after their first or second album and didn't start again until 15+ years later when they officially reunited.

Both bands released their best work during these periods. The former setting the example of being a studio band and the latter taking it to the next level.

It is definitely rare that bands don't tour regularly, but especially after the release of an album. That said, it used to be rare that bands/artists were mediocre singers at best and bought songwriting credits (they either wrote the stuff or they didn't and no one cared).
    Old 01-13-2021, 01:37 AM   #764
    grilldanmo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Not really new album related, but I feel like DMB has gone dark since the Dave & Carter “Warehouse Session”, and now there’s nothing to look ahead to. They should bring back the Drive-Ins at least...at least those got people talking/thinking about the band.

Their management/marketing/whatever you want to call it is lame, out of touch, and LAZY, but I think we all know this ready.
    Yeah, I hate the Phish comparison discussion, but they're still doing the dinner & a show thing on occasion. The lack of Drive-Ins or even live streamed NEW concerts is frustrating at this point.

The last seven shows we watched, we paid for...two Avetts shows, two Isbell shows, two Punch Bros, and the Bowie tribute show that just happened (although the "live" aspect of that show was highly questionable). Most of these shows have been about $25 and we'd have gladly paid more...we'd easily pay double for DMB.
    Old 01-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #765
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    The Beatles stopped touring after '66, but it was in part because of the lack of PAs that would allow them to be heard over the screaming of the girls/women in the audience. The could sell out Shea Stadium (and did), but there was not yet a quality sound system that could really fill a stadium, let alone compete w/ the aforementioned screaming women.

Yep my aunt was at the Shea Stadium show and said you couldn't hear anything other than screaming
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #766
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Yep my aunt was at the Shea Stadium show and said you couldn't hear anything other than screaming
    Ed Sullivan and Shea were actually the genesis for having monitors on stage and acts playing along to recordings during televised appearances. It had been heading there, but those two incidents gave it the kick in the pants to make it the norm for decades to come

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #767
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 57

I know the Phish comparisons are beaten to death around here, but it’s a valid argument considering both bands are managed by the same company. I just don’t understand the marketing component of DMB and how woefully mediocre they are. I’d be shocked if we actually get an album out of this - the track record of this band is just not good when it comes to this kind of thing.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #768
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 251
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    The only artist I could think that never really toured, much less toured to support an album, is Harry Nilsson.
    Eminem.

Not a band, I know. But he's an artist who hasn't toured on a new album for his past 5 (?) albums.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #769
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Eminem.

Not a band, I know. But he's an artist who hasn't toured on a new album for his past 5 (?) albums.
    R.E.M. was notorious for that, too. They didn't tour in support of their biggest albums, and only went on the road for Monster because they wanted to.

Their post-Berry albums weren't toured either. They started touring consistently for the last few years they were together.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #770
    davetripping02
    Good Good Time

Shows Seen: 80

i can see them sending out an email saying the 2021 tour is canceled but also saying dmb new album news coming soon or single. Kind of like upset of tour canceled email but turn into, like yay new music .
    davetripping02 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #771
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 45

Stefan Lessard
    @SLessard
    Well shucks, I didn’t feel a thing. No scratches. Didn’t even know there was a DMB post about me.

At the end of the day, my bass is still in your speakers when you play DMB.

Got a whole bunch of new DMB music with nasty bass lines on it, so yeah, Happy New Year also!!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 1.31.02 PM.jpg (43.5 KB, 53 views)
    Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #772
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Stefan today: "Got a whole bunch of new DMB music with nasty bass lines on it, so yeah, Happy New Year also!!"

https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/1349785595627724800
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #773
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 66

Wow that guy trolling him is an absolute loser.

Good to know new music is more and more official
    Old 01-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #774
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 108

Where is said FB post?
    Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #775
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 251
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Where is said FB post?
    It's there.

Dave Matthews Band
    19h ·
    Head over to Stefan Lessard’s Twitter/Instagram to check out his favorite songs and books of 2020:
    https://twitter.com/SLessard
    https://www.instagram.com/sklessard/ … See More
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #776
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    At the end of the day, my bass is still in your speakers when you play DMB.

Ha great line and I'm glad that's the case, great player!
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #777
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    R.E.M. was notorious for that, too. They didn't tour in support of their biggest albums, and only went on the road for Monster because they wanted to.

Their post-Berry albums weren't toured either. They started touring consistently for the last few years they were together.

Not quite true. They toured ACCELERATE and were regulars on the festival circuit.

In fact the lack of touring for COLLAPSE INTO NOW was the first smoke signal that something was amiss in REM-land.

(I believe you are referring to the lack of yours around AUTOMATIC and OUT OF TIME. But outside of those two album cycles, they toured quite regularly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #778
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 45

I wish they would just come out and give us some sort of news. I'd imagine news breaks when they make an announcement about the fate of the tour.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #779
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 13

Bruce, Scott, Carson, any bones you can throw us while we're in the "hurry up and wait" period? Things have been quiet for a while.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #780
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

January normally a quiet music industry month.....we’ll see.

Have to imagine that regardless of touring situation that they pull the trigger and put out the new album in 2021 - they’ve already recorded it so it’s in the bag, Dave clearly digs some of the songs enough to be playing them on pretty much all his live stream things, and yeaaahhhh why not? It’s been a year of change and doing things different so why not this be when they drop an album without certainty of being able to tour? For all we know, they may have gotten smart and filmed stuff in studio when they were all together to have footage to support. We know little in e grand scheme of things.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote