The Walking Dead (New AMC Program) - Page 105 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #3121
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Walking Dead (New AMC Program)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
It's funny you write this now, because it's just been after this episode when I felt like I was coming to a fuller realization of why this show does so well. It's very pulp-y, if that makes sense. Like it isn't particularly very good writing, and the character work has some gaping holes here and there, but -- season 2 spots notwithstanding -- a lot of very dramatic stuff is very often happening, it's almost soap opera-ish in this way, but with a much bigger budget and higher concept. There's a lot of twists and mysteries abound, and that's what I think keeps people coming back, despite the fact that it'll never been mistaken for anything the likes of Aaron Sorkin, David Chase or David Simon might write.

Well, I guess in a way I can sort of understand that kind of reaction to Micchone, but at the same time it might seem a little unfair. Yes, technically surely her main goal when roughing it around with Andrea for so long was to find some place stable, and they seemingly did that with Woodbury, so the question "why would she want to leave so quick?" Well despite the surface stability, she's smart enough to see pretty much right away that the place isn't all idylic as it seems, some nasty things are really at work, plus just given the kind of person she is she doesn't like to be in a place where she'd be without so much control of her own existence. She's obviously a very strong woman and likes to maintain a sense of independence. I don't know, maybe it's just because this was how she first got introduced.

btw, I'm sort of figuring at this point as far as the TV show we're never going to learn who the walkers were that she had chained up to sort of shield herself, that the writers consider that "mystery" explained with the one scene between the Governor and the scientist dude when he talked about what benefit there would've been from her having that set up. So ultimately it doesn't really mean much to have known exactly who they were. We only know here because you comics guys have talked about it.

edit: Also I'm sorry to say my man Glenn, boy when push came to shove he really dropped the ball. I mean a very clear, confrontational moment, he'd of been completely in the right to put a bullet in Merle's head right there, once he reached the gun in his back, and Glenn ran, instead of firing
well Michonne so far has been nothing but angry looks and 1 word answers. she's right, but she didnt exactly communicate well with Andrea

as for Glen, yeah I get what youre saying...but if Merle was that bad of a guy, Shane would have killed him at camp. There's bad history- Merle is an ass, and glen et al left him on the roof...but Glen doesnt have a reason to murder him in cold blood. Merle did smile, laugh, put his gun down immediately, etc
Quote:
Also I'm not sure if I like how that whole phone business was handled. In a way it sort of felt like just a cheap sort of stunt to be able to trick the audience with (especially with there being the cliffhanger last episode), that it all really was just in the mind of a quickly-losing-it Rick. But, I think that just points even more to this "pulp" angle I'm talking about with the show.
yeah the phone thing was a little hokey. it was drawn out a little more in the comics, and I remember it being almost deflating when we found out it wasnt real

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #3122
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    yeah the phone thing was a little hokey. it was drawn out a little more in the comics, and I remember it being almost deflating when we found out it wasnt real
    well and I figured it was very intentional that when Herschel picks up on the phone, you can hear no dial tone, whereas I'm pretty sure previously with Rick alone we could. Obviously that was part of why Herschel wanted to stay and sit with him, it was the kinder way of outright saying "Rick, there's no dial tone on this phone, there's nobody actually there"

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #3123
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well and I figured it was very intentional that when Herschel picks up on the phone, you can hear no dial tone, whereas I'm pretty sure previously with Rick alone we could. Obviously that was part of why Herschel wanted to stay and sit with him, it was the kinder way of outright saying "Rick, there's no dial tone on this phone, there's nobody actually there"
    there was no dial tone when Rick picked it up either but youre overall point is correct. Herschel figured Rick was off his rocker
    Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #3124
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I mean the first phone call, from everything that was said, I was okay with, like all things considered it seemed reasonable the girl wouldn't want to say where they were. Although the "we're... AWAY..." definitely planted the seed. Though by the end of the 2nd one I was really suspicious, cause I'm like c'mon, why in the hell would the guy make such a big deal of Rick explaining how his wife died, so something was definitely up.

which reminds me of an element I'd been wondering about for awhile (& I suppose you probably get to it in most every zombie related movie), like obviously everything's kept them plenty busy for what's been going on right in front of them, but I'm curious to see if there will ever be anything mentioned of this like being a global issue, if walkers are around the entire planet. Also VERY happy to see Carol alive, cause again, if she was dead, that was just some shitty writing.

oh and, okay so I presume from last night's events, simply beheading someone is not enough? A regular person, that is? The one Woodbury guy that Micchone beheaded, Merle then took care to stab the decapitated head. Like okay, even if the head did "turn", I'm not sure I really see it being able to go anywhere

Last edited by junior94; 11-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #3125
    ProudestAnt
    Buck Nasty

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean the first phone call, from everything that was said, I was okay with, like all things considered it seemed reasonable the girl wouldn't want to say where they were. Although the "we're... AWAY..." definitely planted the seed. Though by the end of the 2nd one I was really suspicious, cause I'm like c'mon, why in the hell would the guy make such a big deal of Rick explaining how his wife died, so something was definitely up.

which reminds me of an element I'd been wondering about for awhile (& I suppose you probably get to it in most every zombie related movie), like obviously everything's kept them plenty busy for what's been going on right in front of them, but I'm curious to see if there will ever be anything mentioned of this like being a global issue, if walkers are around the entire planet. Also VERY happy to see Carol alive, cause again, if she was dead, that was just some shitty writing.

oh and, okay so I presume from last night's events, simply beheading someone is not enough? A regular person, that is? The one Woodbury guy that Micchone beheaded, Merle then took care to stab the decapitated head. Like okay, even if the head did "turn", I'm not sure I really see it being able to go anywhere
    The point wasn't that they'd go somewhere. It was about not letting "your own" turn. Regardless of their condition when turning.
    ProudestAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #3126
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Getting ready to start season 3.
    I hate Andrea. I hope she gets killed off. Her and Shane were a lot alike.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #3127
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Only thing, and it's a point I could effing care less about. But after the first "phone call" when Rick went back to the group, how did he go from dirty, bloody and covered in walker spooge, to all washed up and clean and changed?
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3128
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uro55 View Post
    Only thing, and it's a point I could effing care less about. But after the first "phone call" when Rick went back to the group, how did he go from dirty, bloody and covered in walker spooge, to all washed up and clean and changed?
    prisons have showers.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #3129
    Irish78
    Omar Comin'

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Michonne looks like a skinny robin quivers.
    Irish78 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #3130
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

how did Michonne know to take the basket full of baby formula to the prison?

if that situation happened to me, the last thing i would do is say, "oh shit, baby formula! i better deliver that shit to where those people are from that i do not know exists or how to get to!"
    Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #3131
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    how did Michonne know to take the basket full of baby formula to the prison?

if that situation happened to me, the last thing i would do is say, "oh shit, baby formula! i better deliver that shit to where those people are from that i do not know exists or how to get to!"
    In the show she seems to judge character pretty well...seeing Glen and Maggie doing what they were doing for someone else was pretty noble considering they got f'ed by Merle... And she fucking hates Merle. And she was injured and needed somewhere to heal...

since she knows how to not get eaten, why not carry the formula as a sign of trust?

I think it also sent a message that two of there members went missing.

Last edited by DIDriveOut2SPAC; 11-20-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #3132
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    In the show she seems to judge character pretty well...seeing Glen and Maggie doing what they were doing for someone else was pretty noble considering they got f'ed by Merle... And she fucking hates Merle. And she was injured and needed somewhere to heal...

since she knows how to not get eaten, why not carry the formula as a sign of trust?

well, yeah. but how did she know where to go?
    Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #3133
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well, yeah. but how did she know where to go?
    She overheard Glen and Maggie talking about the prison.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #3134
    bonzo48280
    Tramps Like Us...

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

the only part of this show worth watching is when zombies show up, hence why season 2 was so awful.

My time with this show may be ending.

-Packers suck, along with the Red Wings.
    -BRUUUUUUUUUUCE
    bonzo48280 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #3135
    kevinmavs

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post

Why didn't she just sneak up behind Merle and chop the shit out of him.
    Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #3136
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinmavs View Post
    Why didn't she just sneak up behind Merle and chop the shit out of him.
    i was thinking about this too. but i guess because she was injured/tired, she didn't know glen or maggie or what their intentions were, and in that situation... running from out of nowhere carrying a sword is a good way to get shot by all three people.
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #3137
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    the only part of this show worth watching is when zombies show up, hence why season 2 was so awful.

I love the show, but if I felt the same as you I'd have quit a long time ago.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #3138
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i think some time lapses between that call and Rick walking into the cell block

Quote:
    i was thinking about this too. but i guess because she was injured/tired, she didn't know glen or maggie or what their intentions were, and in that situation... running from out of nowhere carrying a sword is a good way to get shot by all three people.
    yeah, this pretty much. i watched Inside the Episode and she said that her character was injured, basically dragging her leg and was helpless in that situation
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #3139
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post

thanks for the update. again.
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #3140
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

the phone call part annoyed me a little.

and then magically carol shows up!
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #3141
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    prisons have showers.
    Running water doesn't work without electricity.

Also I couldn't care less, just found it funny
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #3142
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Running water doesn't work without electricity.

Also I couldn't care less, just found it funny
    uh... yeah it does. water runs off atmospheric pressure. the only downside would be if they had an electric heater... but i'm guessing a prison would have a gas boiler.

remember the first episode when they showered at the police station?
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #3143
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ProudestAnt View Post
    The point wasn't that they'd go somewhere. It was about not letting "your own" turn. Regardless of their condition when turning.
    Yea but I didn't realize even a normal living person could still turn even when decapitated. Even though the brain itself isn't getting injured, I thought that cutting the connection to the spinal cord (as would happen there) was enough.

and I agree that Micchone's options were pretty limited on her stepping in in that situation. I mean maybe if she was already on the side that Merle was so that she could come up behind him, then she could've interceded. But she had too much ground to cover too fast to be able to do anything.

edit: and for the record, I chuckled as well when Rick appeared totally clean, but ultimately figured I guess enough time had passed for him to change and everything.

Last edited by junior94; 11-20-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #3144
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    uh... yeah it does. water runs off atmospheric pressure. the only downside would be if they had an electric heater... but i'm guessing a prison would have a gas boiler?
    Not nessesarily.

It all depends on whether you're on city water or well water.

Also again, couldn't care less, just seemed funny in the time/context

Last edited by uro55; 11-20-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #3145
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

EEERHMAGERD! Can't believe I stopped watching after season 1 way back when. I just blew through season 2 and it was amazing. I've been trying so hard to avoid this thread because I have yet to catch up on 3.

Unfortunately I had something spoiled for me through a youtube video; it was on the side of suggested videos and it stated what happens to a character in season 3 IN THE TITLE

Anyway, I should be caught up soon and then I can partake in the thread.
    Haiku Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #3146
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextMovement41 View Post
    the phone call part annoyed me a little.

and then magically carol shows up!
    eh I'm not gonna call blast the show for the thing with Carol. for all we know she didnt know her way around the inside of the prison, and we know she didnt have a weapon. at that point, in a hallway with walkers coming from both directions, all you can really do is hide in a closet and hope to be found
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #3147
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

couldn't take a lot of stuff seriously in this episode but i did enjoy it. i guess it's one of those shows for me.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3148
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi View Post
    EEERHMAGERD! Can't believe I stopped watching after season 1 way back when. I just blew through season 2 and it was amazing. I've been trying so hard to avoid this thread because I have yet to catch up on 3.

Unfortunately I had something spoiled for me through a youtube video; it was on the side of suggested videos and it stated what happens to a character in season 3 IN THE TITLE

Anyway, I should be caught up soon and then I can partake in the thread.
    welcome back keef

if you think s2 was amazing then you'll love s3 so far. s2 was a drag at times, but i still flew through it
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3149
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    eh I'm not gonna call blast the show for the thing with Carol. for all we know she didnt know her way around the inside of the prison, and we know she didnt have a weapon. at that point, in a hallway with walkers coming from both directions, all you can really do is hide in a closet and hope to be found
    Yea I don't really have a problem with how this thing with Carol turned out. She was obviously totally fried, and not knowing exactly where she was and how far she'd have to go to get back to the group, she looked like she barely had the energy to stand, so certainly was afraid she wouldn't be able to defend herself long enough to get back to the others. Just lay low and make just enough noise to hope someone finds you.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #3150
    Irish78
    Omar Comin'

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not nessesarily.

It all depends on whether you're on city water or well water.

Also again, couldn't care less, just seemed funny in the time/context
    I used to work in a prison and the water at my prison wouldn't work without electricity because it all ran on a timer to control how much/long the inmates could use water. If the power was out there was no water. This isn't the case everywhere though.
    Irish78 is offline   Reply With Quote