**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 494 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #14791
blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Absolutely but shop around, it will be exactly the same as the one being offered everywhere else like Pro Studio Masters, etc.

Also I would recommend saving $5 on getting the 24/96 vs. the 24/192, seems like overkill for me when the sonic info is already tapering out greatly by 40kHz and my speakers are rolling off sharply after 24kHz (and of course my hearing well before that!).

I picked up the 24/192 download of Singles OST and sadly it's been slammed in the mastering stage, but there was also no info above 38kHz so I should have got the 24/96 and saved $5.
Ouch, the copy I just purchased from Pro Studio Masters is DR 7. DR Database lists HDTracks version at DR 12. Odd that they would be different. Wish they let you download samples before dropping $18
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #14792
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    i got your disc, chad. can do it again if you want.
    Ahh okay, I was trying to remember who that was. PM me your address again and I'll send it to you whenever they come in.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #14793
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    Ouch, the copy I just purchased from Pro Studio Masters is DR 7. DR Database lists HDTracks version at DR 12. Odd that they would be different. Wish they let you download samples before dropping $18
    That's some BS right there, you'd think they'd be the same.
    PM me.
    Old 03-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #14794
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Where is the damn RSD list?
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #14795
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I agree with your post, minus the quoted. What about it isn't done proper? If it is similar to the previous LT boxes, there will be a separate wider release on black vinyl. Doby has confirmed Bellman cut it, which is a great sign for how it will sound. MSRP looks to be about $80-85, which is $20ish per disc; more than reasonable
    I get that there will be a wider release on black vinyl later on. But the studio albums are "widely" available. I can still buy Crash and UTTAD on Amazon. I cannot buy the LT releases on vinyl for under a few hundred bucks due to some jackasses that buy them for resale value.

I don't consider 80 bucks an affordable price. I'm into collecting vinyl. I'm into collecting cool DMB releases especially on vinyl, but I can't justify a week's worth of groceries for an album I already own. 40-50 would be steep, but that's about what the Red Rocks vinyl would be worth to me. They can charge more for it by limiting the amount available.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #14796
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Again, I guess I'm not the same level of audiophile that everyone else is. i'd much rather take the 80-100 bucks and buy 5 or 6 great albums that I don't have on vinyl, or don't have at all over one release. Red Rocks is the "official" live album of this band, but I've heard it 5,000,000 times now. Ideally, I'd get to come over to someone else's house with a 12 pack of beer or bottle of whiskey, listen to this thing in all it's glory one time and then be satisfied.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #14797
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    I get that there will be a wider release on black vinyl later on. But the studio albums are "widely" available. I can still buy Crash and UTTAD on Amazon. I cannot buy the LT releases on vinyl for under a few hundred bucks due to some jackasses that buy them for resale value.

I don't consider 80 bucks an affordable price. I'm into collecting vinyl. I'm into collecting cool DMB releases especially on vinyl, but I can't justify a week's worth of groceries for an album I already own. 40-50 would be steep, but that's about what the Red Rocks vinyl would be worth to me. They can charge more for it by limiting the amount available.
    $80 is a pretty standard price though for a 4-LP box set, the limited pressing doesn't really impact that too much. I get what you're saying about not wanting to spend $80 on an album you already have, and that's fair, but it's not the fact that it's limited that's responsible for the price point. $20/disc is unfortunately par for the course these days.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #14798
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I would love to sort by genre, but I feel like that has the same problem for me as doing artists chronologically: I have to spend time remembering what genre I put certain artists in.

Thanks! One of my favorite things in my collection is the 9LP Mastodon box: https://www.discogs.com/Mastodon-Mas...elease/1535253

It's a beautiful set. It has almost every note they recorded from the Lifesblood EP through Blood Mountain. It also has a slip mat, sticker sheet and patch.

I also picked up Crack the Skye, The Hunter, Once More 'Round the Sun and the Divinations single. Trying to decide if I wanna get Emperor of Sand, the new one this month. The teaser tracks are not blowing me away.

Mastodon is a good example how I get locked into this completist idea: "Well, I have every other album they've done on vinyl. I should continue that."
    I dont have the box but I have everything other than life blood and the live set on vinyl. Ill get the new one, teasers are ok for me but most likely the album wont be in my top 3 for mastondon. But even bottom half mastodon is better than most other heavy music out right now.

Im definitely with you on the completionist thing, the last 3 Opeth albums havent been all that great, especially the last two. But I get them on vinyl everytime because I have everything else. I cant stand to have that hole sitting on the shelf.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #14799
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Owner of my local record store told me today there's an "early era" Grateful Dead box for RSD
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #14800
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

I hope not too early. Not a huge man of 60s dead
    Old 03-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #14801
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    Again, I guess I'm not the same level of audiophile that everyone else is. i'd much rather take the 80-100 bucks and buy 5 or 6 great albums that I don't have on vinyl, or don't have at all over one release. Red Rocks is the "official" live album of this band, but I've heard it 5,000,000 times now. Ideally, I'd get to come over to someone else's house with a 12 pack of beer or bottle of whiskey, listen to this thing in all it's glory one time and then be satisfied.
    Don't think it's an audiophile issue, it's a DMB issue is why people here are buying at that price and for most people they're probably only going to spend that sort of money on releases from one of their top faves.

I stopped buying 99% of vinyl I don't know source lineage on, too often it doesn't deliver any better than a $10 CD and I have no problems with CD. I don't mind spending $35-$40/release on 2LP albums I like when they're done properly, and maybe $50-$60 if it's a multiple sided 45rpm release. I think we both spent $60-$65 on Ryan Adams, well worth it. Good source material, audiophile label, audiophile pressing. If it had just come out as a repressing from Universal/Lost Highway then I'd have skipped it.

I wouldn't really judge most AM.org posters' vinyl buying habits on DMB releases, there's a bit of a bias in play there.
    Old 03-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #14802
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Don't think it's an audiophile issue, it's a DMB issue is why people here are buying at that price and for most people they're probably only going to spend that sort of money on releases from one of their top faves.

I stopped buying 99% of vinyl I don't know source lineage on, too often it doesn't deliver any better than a $10 CD and I have no problems with CD. I don't mind spending $35-$40/release on 2LP albums I like when they're done properly, and maybe $50-$60 if it's a multiple sided 45rpm release. I think we both spent $60-$65 on Ryan Adams, well worth it. Good source material, audiophile label, audiophile pressing. If it had just come out as a repressing from Universal/Lost Highway then I'd have skipped it.

I wouldn't really judge most AM.org posters' vinyl buying habits on DMB releases, there's a bit of a bias in play there.
    Amen to that. I just splurged picking up the DDTW single knowing full well it will sound like ass.

But for the most part I'll go for best source and medium; whether that's vinyl, blu-ray audio, SACD, etc
    Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #14803
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    So three different digital masterings exist:

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.90 dB 4:12 01-Pretty Noose '96 CD
    DR11 -0.43 dB -13.45 dB 4:12 02-Pretty Noose '16 HD Tracks
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.68 dB 4:11 03-Pretty Noose '16 Pro Studio Masters

Sucks to not know which one of the bottom two the vinyl was cut from, perhaps an e-mail to Bob Ludwig is in order...he's usually pretty quick to respond to e-mail inquiries and quite candid also.
    Old 03-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #14804
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    I dont have the box but I have everything other than life blood and the live set on vinyl. Ill get the new one, teasers are ok for me but most likely the album wont be in my top 3 for mastondon. But even bottom half mastodon is better than most other heavy music out right now.

Im definitely with you on the completionist thing, the last 3 Opeth albums havent been all that great, especially the last two. But I get them on vinyl everytime because I have everything else. I cant stand to have that hole sitting on the shelf.
    Who knew, all this time, that they really, secretly wanted to be Yes?
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #14805
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone have a referral code for VMP?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    you can pm me your email if you want and i'll do the referral thing. i need to figure out how, though.
    ok, if you or anyone else wants to sign up and get a $10 vmp store/renewal credit for doing so (i will get one, too) then pm me your email and i'll do the referral process.

i don't remember who it was on here, but it was someone in this thread that introduced me to vmp back in 2014.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #14806
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    I hope not too early. Not a huge man of 60s dead
    Same. Too psychedelic and out there for enjoyable listening.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #14807
    mHeiser92

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Looking for some advice here

Needing some nice bookshelf speakers or something similar for my set up. The table is nothing special, middle of the road set up. It does have preamp built in. Looking for suggestions for some quality speakers that won't completely break the bank. Thanks!
    Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #14808
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post

Needing some nice bookshelf speakers or something similar for my set up. The table is nothing special, middle of the road set up. It does have preamp built in. Looking for suggestions for some quality speakers that won't completely break the bank. Thanks!
    I have these:
    A5+ Powered Bookshelf Speaker System - White (A5+W)
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...tem-white-a5-w

They're great, compact, and produce room filling sound.

Here's a photo of them in my room:
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (67.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by chadizzy1; 03-12-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #14809
    mHeiser92

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I have these:
    A5+ Powered Bookshelf Speaker System - White (A5+W)
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...tem-white-a5-w

They're great, compact, and produce room filling sound.

Here's a photo of them in my room:
    Thanks Chad. These look nice.

My biggest concern is the sound filling the room. My set up is in my living room but its an open floor plan apartment. Making sure I get something that can fill the space
    Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #14810
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

One of the local stores in town is having a pre-RSD clearance event so I picked this up today for $7 - http://i.imgur.com/gGTAFEt.jpg

Devo has also been hit or miss for me but I do like this album a bit and for the price I couldn't pass it up
    Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #14811
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

If anyone still wants/needs AFTW, Amazon has it for $11.30 (eligble for free shipping if you have Prime). Lowest price I've seen it at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ce4046356b1cd1
    Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #14812
    soccer41

Shows Seen: 43

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean you could definitely do okay with 2-4 hundred, but 5-6 would really open things up. On the lower end, I'd definitely recommend going the vintage route - checking out local craigslist or local record stores and hi-fi shops to see what used gear they have

The basic gear you'll need will be a turntable, a phono preamplifier (or a receiver with a built-in pre-amp), and depending on the speakers you go with a receiver (if you go with passive speakers, which are probably more common, you will need a receiver). Alternatively you could skip the speakers and receiver if you wanted a headphone set-up; but having a speaker setup with a receiver would also allow you to plug in headphones when you can't blast through the speakers

If you're open to a bit higher budget, below are some new tables and gear I'd recommend

Turntable (look around online as some places may have better prices than what I've linked):

- U-Turn Orbit Basic: $179

- Pro-Ject Elemental: $229

- U-Turn Orbit Plus: $289

- Audio Technica LP120: $295 (stay away from the lesser LP60)

- Pro-Ject Debut III: $299

- Pro-Ject Essential II: $299

Phono Preamplifier:

- Art Pro DJPRE II: $49

- Pro-Ject Phono Box: $75

- U-Turn Pluto: $89

Receiver:

- There's a wide range here and you could also go vintage for this part while going new components for the rest. Brands like Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, etc all have decent offerings. Prices can range from $100-$1,000's for new units but you should be able to find something between $100-$200. Perhaps Doby or someone could give more input here?

Speakers:

- Again, a lot of variety here; whether bookshelf speakers or tower speakers. For a vinyl setup you'll only really need a left and right channel (no surround or subwoofer are needed). But some recommendations on bookshelf are below to keep the prices lower

- Edifier R128OT: $100 (these are powered, so you could skip the receiver)

- Polk Audio T15: $100

- Klipsch R-14M Reference Series: $150

So, going with new equipment, on the low end of what I listed would be ~$328 (U-Turn Basic, ART DJPRE, Powered Edifiers) and obviously can go as high as you want with what I listed or things I didn't that are more expensive and using passive speakers + a receiver

Hope that helps as a starter!
    Got my setup up & running today. Thanks for all the advice BTBaboon. It sounds phenomenal, been spinning all day.

I went with the U-Turn Basic, ART DJPRE, & Powered Edifiers.
    soccer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #14813
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post

ELAC B6

Have them and love em.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #14814
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soccer41 View Post
    Got my setup up & running today. Thanks for all the advice BTBaboon. It sounds phenomenal, been spinning all day.

I went with the U-Turn Basic, ART DJPRE, & Powered Edifiers.
    Nice, that's a great starter set!

Post some pictures when you get a chance so we can check that bad boy rig out!
    Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #14815
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

RSD just posted on Facebook that the list is coming one week from today (so the 21st).

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #14816
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    RSD just posted on Facebook that the list is coming one week from today (so the 21st).
    That matches what Bullmoose posted last week Wednesday when they changed the ETA on the list from 03/10 to 03/21.

I am looking forward to the full list, hope there is some stuff on there that hasn't leaked yet that piques my interest in getting up early. I have always had a good time doing the line-up.
    Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #14817
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    Ok, so a full leak show be coming soon
    Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #14818
    soccer41

Shows Seen: 43

My Tour Central Stats

IMG_7418.jpg
    Quote:
    Nice, that's a great starter set!

Post some pictures when you get a chance so we can check that bad boy rig out!
    Nothing to crazy yet, just wanted to get it out of the box. Now going to have to wire the speakers around the room.
    soccer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #14819
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soccer41 View Post
    Attachment 71908

Nothing to crazy yet, just wanted to get it out of the box. Now going to have to wire the speakers around the room.
    Nice! Would definitely recommend either getting stands or mounting the speakers (or having them on a separate surface) and then spacing them out. Ideally they'd be placed 1.5x apart from each other as you are from them when you listen; and they should be near ear-level when you are in regular listening position (whether sitting or standing).

Great start, welcome to the addiction...err I mean hobby!
    Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #14820
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

I finally managed to get a hold of one of the rarest pieces of DMB vinyl through a trade with a fellow in Italy

DMB's Don't Drink the Water 12" single - http://i.imgur.com/T1QtVRZ.jpg

The thing sounds like shit, but being a completionist addict I couldn't resist, and lucky the album I traded I had two copies of.

Here's my current DMB collection, for official releases I'm only missing Blue LT1 and Too Much/Jimi Thing 7" (plus a few compilations and albums where DM or other members are featured) - http://imgur.com/a/Vi3IU