**Official Running Thread** - Page 93 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #2761
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
Richmond ran the half the past two years so said fuck it what's another 13 miles

Nice, hope it's a good summer / early fall build up for you!
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #2762
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Yea same here Hope it isn't too brutally hot because I am not a fan of running super early to avoid heat/humidity and when I run at night I always seem to run into spiderwebs

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #2763
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Well there will no heat to worry about on Sunday for the half I am in. Going to be quite the opposite if the the forecast holds. Cold temps for sure, high-20's to low-30's (and I just put all my cold weather gear away and vowed not to take it out until next winter ) with possible snow flurries to snow showers. Will take snow over rain just hope it doesn't get too slick.
    Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #2764
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Ran from the Grand Canyon South Rim down to Phantom Ranch and back a couple weeks ago when I was in Arizona for work. Have a 50K in about 4 weeks, based on that I'll see if I'm game for a 50 miler in June.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #2765
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    No clue if the two are related, but does anyone get lower back pain when they've been running? Been having some lately and can't tell if it's from running or my crappy mattress.
    like someone else said, strong core could help that

if you do chest exercises throughout the week, make sure you do twice as many back exercises. (and stretches for both). really important for good posture and back pain, especially if you're someone that is sitting behind a computer all day

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    You are all freaks of nature. I'm running my first full in Nov only goal is to finish with very few stops (water stops don't count in this goal)
    good luck! that's awesome.
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #2766
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure if this is due to running or not so I figured i'd ask in here just in case since I run everyday. Just recently I started having these random jolts of pain from my stomach down to my groin. The pain will be isolated in a random spot but will happen randomly in this section of my body throughout the day. Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be? I hope this is due to running or else this post will be extremely bizarre.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #2767
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

recovering from an injury is such a test of patience. i've had to cut back running completely for a few weeks, and im slowly getting back into it. i just had my first painless 4 miles today. there was a part of me that just wanted to keep running for an hour more. as frustrating as injuries are, it forces you to appreciate those little gains.... like running a painless 4 miles. it's humbling

im not sure ill be able to realistically do a marathon in 2016. im finally sane enough to admit that doing multiple fulls over the past 3 years did a number on my body and i haven't had much time for my body to recover, before getting back into training mode. so right now, i think my goal is to do a half in the fall sub 1:40

but im also aware that im completely full of shit. im addicted to running and racing. i love the whole training process of it all. i need to practice better self-control, despite writing this post i wouldn't be shocked if i signed up to run a full in a month. i hear other people training for races and i start to crave it. need to get back into yoga or something

Last edited by laura22; 03-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #2768
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    recovering from an injury is such a test of patience. i've had to cut back running completely for a few weeks, and im slowly getting back into it. i just had my first painless 4 miles today. there was a part of me that just wanted to keep running for an hour more. as frustrating as injuries are, it forces you to appreciate those little gains.... like running a painless 4 miles. it's humbling

im not sure ill be able to realistically do a marathon in 2016. im finally sane enough to admit that doing multiple fulls over the past 3 years did a number on my body and i haven't had much time for my body to recover, before getting back into training mode. so right now, i think my goal is to do a half in the fall sub 1:40

but im also aware that im completely full of shit. im addicted to running and racing. i love the whole training process of it all. i need to practice better self-control, despite writing this post i wouldn't be shocked if i signed up to run a full in a month. i hear other people training for races and i start to crave it

Sounds like me and we both have the same goal for a half, I've learned that I can only do one marathon a year. I have tried starting big marathon build ups right after finishing one and I just break down. Great you are getting back into it!
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #2769
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
    I'm not sure if this is due to running or not so I figured i'd ask in here just in case since I run everyday. Just recently I started having these random jolts of pain from my stomach down to my groin. The pain will be isolated in a random spot but will happen randomly in this section of my body throughout the day. Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be? I hope this is due to running or else this post will be extremely bizarre.
    never heard of this
    is it like, below your belly button? or any spot of your stomach?
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #2770
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Sounds like me and we both have the same goal for a half, I've learned that I can only do one marathon a year. I have tried starting big marathon build ups right after finishing one and I just break down. Great you are getting back into it!

fall is an awesome time for halfs. so many beautiful ones in the new england area
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #2771
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I can just about guarantee it is your iliopsoas, commonly referred to as psoas, look it up and find stretches for it. Also to help speed up the process a sports massage therapist could help you a lot. I've had this problem when I have started increasing weekly mileage too quickly and was much better after two visits to sports massage therapy.
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #2772
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    never heard of this
    is it like, below your belly button? or any spot of your stomach?
    the sides of my stomach down below towards my upper thighs. it's really bizarre but below looks like what it could be.

Quote:
    I can just about guarantee it is your iliopsoas, commonly referred to as psoas, look it up and find stretches for it. Also to help speed up the process a sports massage therapist could help you a lot. I've had this problem when I have started increasing weekly mileage too quickly and was much better after two visits to sports massage therapy.
    thank you. I honestly thought i was dying. At first I thought I had appendicitis but it's happening all over the place. I'll look into this.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #2773
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the sides of my stomach down below towards my upper thighs. it's really bizarre but below looks like what it could be.

thank you. I honestly thought i was dying. At first I thought I had appendicitis but it's happening all over the place. I'll look into this.

Yeah you should be good if that is correct and it sounds exactly like what I've had before, it hurts, scale back and definitely avoid running hills for now. Sports massage therapy isn't exactly cheap but it has cured various problems for me for years including this one.
    Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #2774
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Another race in the books and it was a great day. My goal right now is to race consistent, working to get stronger as the race goes, the ol' negative split concept. I was able to get quicker through the first 3 quarters of the race but slowed slightly in the last quarter but still hit a great time. Progress is the goal and this was many steps in the right direction.
    Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #2775
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Ran a 5 mile with my 7 year old daughter yesterday, 2nd place in the 12&under age group! She's definitely got some competitiveness in her and will try to put early distance between her and the "competition" (those are the other kids that she apparently scopes out prior to the run that thinks are in her age group) to "to break their will" (I asked why she was going out so fast, and that was her response. Not sure who taught her that...). We are running a 10K together this weekend. We'll see how it goes, apparently she is getting ready to wreck more souls at Bloomsday (12k on May 1).
    Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #2776
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

That is so awesome. Sound like she not only likes to run, but has that competitive streak to be better then her opponent. She is imposing her own trail of tears on each and every race.
    Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #2777
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

won't be participating bUT the application for the chicago marathon is out!!! i dare everyone to submit one
    Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #2778
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Have been really slacking on my running lately (new city, new job, new apt, new gym, etc.) but I did go Tuesday night and ran a 8.30 mile. My personal best before that was a 9:30. I woke up feeling it yesterday but it made me happy.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #2779
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Have been really slacking on my running lately (new city, new job, new apt, new gym, etc.) but I did go Tuesday night and ran a 8.30 mile. My personal best before that was a 9:30. I woke up feeling it yesterday but it made me happy.

That's a fast mule!
    Old 03-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #2780
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty successful day. 7 year old daughter took first place 0-18 age group in the 10k (most of the competition ran the 5k ) and 4 year old finished her first 5k and actually enjoyed herself.
    Old 04-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #2781
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

http://m.imgur.com/Ph2Boy9

anyone else get this problem?
    Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #2782
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I have that issue on my left shoe as I get to the end of the life of that pair of shoes, but not as bad as yours. It is interesting that mine happen in the same spot as yours though. I just figured it was some issue with Mizuno but that seems to not be the case.

How many miles are you putting on your shoes? I get in the 300-400 per pair and only wear one pair at a time. I know a lot of my runner friends rotate pairs to allow the shoes to dry out between runs. Wonder if rotating would put less stress on the shoe and let it dry out lessing the issue.
    Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #2783
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I have that issue on my left shoe as I get to the end of the life of that pair of shoes, but not as bad as yours. It is interesting that mine happen in the same spot as yours though. I just figured it was some issue with Mizuno but that seems to not be the case.

How many miles are you putting on your shoes? I get in the 300-400 per pair and only wear one pair at a time. I know a lot of my runner friends rotate pairs to allow the shoes to dry out between runs. Wonder if rotating would put less stress on the shoe and let it dry out lessing the issue.
    interesting it's only on yor left. I was thinking maybe the toe box is too narrow? but it never feels uncomfortable

and not exactly sure how many miles for my shoes but probably around 500. yeah I need to be better at only wearing my running shoes for running. I also wear sneakers with my scrubs for work. i try to wear "retired" sneakers for work but as you can see in the pic, my choices aren't very functional
    Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #2784
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I had the same problem with multiple pairs of shoes/boots; it is a width issue. Foot is too wide for the given shoe.
    Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #2785
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Also...forgot I have a 50k on Saturday. Should be...painful.
    Old 04-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #2786
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I get these! and on the top where my toe is!
    Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #2787
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-...h-day-co-36584
    Old 04-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #2788
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

ran 7.5 today. first time running for over an hour since december

endurance is decent, feeling less discouraged about this setback

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    I had the same problem with multiple pairs of shoes/boots; it is a width issue. Foot is too wide for the given shoe.
    makes sense. my actual foot isn't wide but I have a massive big toe so I could probably use a shoe with a bigger toe box

Brooks website has shoes on sale, free 2 day shipping . snagged some ravennas for $60 . feels good man
    Quote:
    Old 04-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #2789
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Registered for the Flying Pig Half here in Cincy...I'm still in fairly good shape from my last one. I've been doing lots of weight training, some speed work, and some hills. So hoping that all translates into a PR.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #2790
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

50k in the books, finished in 5:02. Not too bad considering I think I have gone over 10k once since October.