Rank Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Bpd1057
come and relax now

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Rank Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King

From reading alot of people's reviews of the album and opinions, i feel like people aren't completely aperciating the music. People have it engraved in their heads that DMB is done making great studio albums... there's the big 3 and then 3 subpar albums since...i think people are scared to give Big Whiskey the credit it deserves because they were so excited for EveryDay Busted Stuff and Stand Up and then were completely let down... everyone has a little wall now.....anyway's from people's opinions thus far i am generally seeing that people consider Busted Stuff and tLWS as a Par for DMB studio work, with the big 3 being superior and Everyday and Stand Up being inferior....on that sort of comparison where would you place BWATGK??? ...Par? above par but below the Big 3? under par but better than the ED and SU? ...personally..i think there is now a Big 4 and i think Big Whiskey songs will continue to be played on tour for some time to come. please share your opinions.

Facebook

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
    Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rank Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King

UTTAD: 9.5/10
    Crash: 10/10
    BTCS: 10/10
    Everyday: 4/10
    Busted Stuff: 7/10
    Stand Up: 3.5/10
    Big Whiskey: 8/10

Idk, that's just what I'm feeling today. Something like that.
    Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bpd1057 View Post
    From reading alot of people's reviews of the album and opinions, i feel like people aren't completely aperciating the music. People have it engraved in their heads that DMB is done making great studio albums... there's the big 3 and then 3 subpar albums since...i think people are scared to give Big Whiskey the credit it deserves because they were so excited for EveryDay Busted Stuff and Stand Up and then were completely let down... everyone has a little wall now.....anyway's from people's opinions thus far i am generally seeing that people consider Busted Stuff and tLWS as a Par for DMB studio work, with the big 3 being superior and Everyday and Stand Up being inferior....on that sort of comparison where would you place BWATGK??? ...Par? above par but below the Big 3? under par but better than the ED and SU? ...personally..i think there is now a Big 4 and i think Big Whiskey songs will continue to be played on tour for some time to come. please share your opinions.
    Personally I think it's crazy to think there is a "big 4" if by that you mean that BWGGK is in any way shape or form as good as the Big 3. It's a solid album, but to me the huge inferiority to those three albums is incredibly obvious, when it comes to both songwriting and production.
    Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
    WiseManSay

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I see it just as Dave Matthews himself.

There are essentially 5 albums that the band created together. They are all in the same category.

Under The Table & Dreaming ****1/2
    Crash *****
    Before The Crowded Streets *****
    Busted Stuff ****
    Big Whiskey & The Groogrux King ****

And then there are two albums in which the band only played a part in:

Everyday feat. Glen Ballard ***
    Stand Up feat. Mark Batson ***

All in all, I appreciate Big Whiskey. It's solid! In my eyes there is a Big 5 (if you will) and two experiments. I do agree, however, that some people under appreciate the value of the album. But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Cheers.
    Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
    Drewda

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Personally I think it's crazy to think there is a "big 4" if by that you mean that BWGGK is in any way shape or form as good as the Big 3. It's a solid album, but to me the huge inferiority to those three albums is incredibly obvious, when it comes to both songwriting and production.
    Agreed. BW is a pretty good album. UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, and LWS are great albums.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bpd1057 View Post
    I don't think you're gonna get a solid 'true' answer from people. A lot of them are afraid of what Deb or ML or someone negative w/ 50K posts will think of them if their opinions don't align. Too many people try to build up some imaginary 'DMB Street Cred' around here lately.

I love Big Whiskey. I think its a amazingly fun album. I have not tired of listening to it, and I think the majority of the songs already sound awesome live. I've never gone into a 2 night stand hoping for a repeat, but this year i really wanted Alligator Pie and Seven again (and i got 'em!), and LITHOG has a great foundation to build a nice spectacle upon. You & Me gives me the sense it'll be a Crash Into Me if its a hit single (you can't deny this isn't already a massive success with the crowds).

As for placement, i don't know. I'm not saying Big 4 yet. I still think Big Whiskey needs time before its placed. Its only been LEGALLY accessible for 2 months. When we say "how it holds up over time", i would think we should at least wait a year or close to at the earliest to debate that. 2 months? That's still fresh IMO. I may not care for it much in a year, MistreatedLewis may be campaigning its better than UTTAD. Who knows? Right now, all i know is that I love it, it IS solid. Its better than Everday and Stand Up easily. I can't tell you yet whether its as good or better than the big 3.

On a funny note...people should thank Everyday...without it we wouldn't have that phrase BIG 3 that everyone likes to hold on to so much
    Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    I don't think you're gonna get a solid 'true' answer from people. A lot of them are afraid of what Deb or ML or someone negative w/ 50K posts will think of them if their opinions don't align. Too many people try to build up some imaginary 'DMB Street Cred' around here lately.
    Nobody should care what I think, and I should hope anyone who actually lies to try and please me would stop immediately. Please. It doesn't do anyone any good.
    Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
    WiseManSay

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nobody should care what I think, and I should hope anyone who actually lies to try and please me would stop immediately. Please. It doesn't do anyone any good.
    Some people really don't... so mission accomplished!!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
    rantingthespian

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swizz2007 View Post
    UTTAD: 9.5/10
    Crash: 10/10
    BTCS: 10/10
    Everyday: 4/10
    Busted Stuff: 7/10
    Stand Up: 3.5/10
    Big Whiskey: 8/10

Idk, that's just what I'm feeling today. Something like that.

To Follow Along the Lines of what he was doing:

R2T - 9/10
    Recently - 9/10
    UTTAD - 10/10
    Crash - 9/10
    BTCS 10/10
    LWS - 7.5/10
    Everyday - 7/10
    Busted Stuff - 8/10
    Some Devil - 9/10
    Stand Up - 6.5/10
    BWGK - 9/10

I give Busted Stuff a higher score than the LWS because of the sound of the completion of the record. The LWS were just all over the place on parts. I love the songs, but I just don't feel great when I listen to it. I think the songs live in 2000 top both the LWS and Busted Stuff.

I almost gave Stand Up a 7/10, but because Joy Ride only appeared on the Bonus Disc (and not in a good version), and Sugar Will and Crazy/Easy never made the cut, I put at a 6.5/10.
    Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
    vthokie182

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Remember Two Things - 9.5/10
    Under The Table and Dreaming - 10/10
    Crash - 9.5/10
    Before These Crowded Streets - 10/10
    Lillywhite Sessions - 9.5/10
    Everyday - 4/10
    Busted Stuff - 7/10
    Stand Up - 3/10
    Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King - 7/10

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
    Bpd1057
    come and relax now

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i can agree that none of these songs are "epic" at this point. And it is really going to be awhile before we know what will and won't be epic about this album....when BTCS first came out, people bashed The Stone, and it is an absolutel gem now. Needless to say this argument probably won't be relevant until months from now ..right now it's still new and fresh and hasn't had time to settle itself among other DMB material, IMO alot of these songs are going to remain on tour for some time, there's some classic's potential on this album.

Facebook
    Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

BWGK took time to grow on me. In fact, it took a full couple of months of listening and a concert to really get into the album, but then it hit me that this was some seriously good DMB. I guess that having to fool myself all those years during Everyday and Stand Up into believing that the band was still making good music, made me weary of if this was really a return to great DMB.

Well, this is great DMB. The band is re-focused, re-energized, and has some creative ideas once again. I think that obviously Roi had a lot to do with this, and everything just seems to have come together as one more great celebration of DMB.

I never thought I would say this about the "Big 3", but I rank BWGK as holding it's own against any of those albums. It is a return to form for DMB and it has me excited for the future of the band.

For those of you who are still stuck in the past thinking that DMB couldn't possibly touch the big 3, well, I feel sorry for you. Cos I'm enjoying the hell out of BWGK and you could be too.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
    Bpd1057
    come and relax now

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBartenderWI View Post
    BWGK took time to grow on me. In fact, it took a full couple of months of listening and a concert to really get into the album, but then it hit me that this was some seriously good DMB. I guess that having to fool myself all those years during Everyday and Stand Up into believing that the band was still making good music, made me weary of if this was really a return to great DMB.

Well, this is great DMB. The band is re-focused, re-energized, and has some creative ideas once again. I think that obviously Roi had a lot to do with this, and everything just seems to have come together as one more great celebration of DMB.

I never thought I would say this about the "Big 3", but I rank BWGK as holding it's own against any of those albums. It is a return to form for DMB and it has me excited for the future of the band.

For those of you who are still stuck in the past thinking that DMB couldn't possibly touch the big 3, well, I feel sorry for you. Cos I'm enjoying the hell out of BWGK and you could be too.

dido

Facebook
    Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
    Bpd1057
    come and relax now

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey is gonna be a classic album

Facebook
    Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
    brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I'd say 8/10. With Everyday being lower than that, and Stand Up lower than Everyday. The rest are 10/10 in my book (yes I include Busted Stuff).

Sometimes I walk there
    Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there

Last edited by brobb; 08-13-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Tags
    big whiskey , dmb , new album , rank