Official Greek Theatre Los Angeles thread - 9/9-9/10 - Page 70 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > DMB Past Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #2071
Orange15

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Greek Theatre Los Angeles thread - 9/9-9/10

Any celebrities there last night?
Orange15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #2072
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Just getting to the airport. Flight leaves at 6:30 back home to Sacramento. Loved the shows at the Greek. Hope everyone has a great weekend and those going on to Chula and Irvine, hope you get amazing shows.
    lilannie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #2073
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Have a safe flight home Anne.
    Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2074
    caribbeandream

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Hello Greeks! Had a great time at the shows...so sad it's over already.
    Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #2075
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilannie View Post
    Just getting to the airport. Flight leaves at 6:30 back home to Sacramento. Loved the shows at the Greek. Hope everyone has a great weekend and those going on to Chula and Irvine, hope you get amazing shows.
    Anne!!! Did you become a tourist for the day??? I just got back from visiting my sister. Back in Irvine now waiting for my mom to get home.
    Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #2076
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks. I will. Hope you get awesome shows this weekend. Enjoy.
    Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #2077
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbeandream View Post
    Anne!!! Did you become a tourist for the day??? I just got back from visiting my sister. Back in Irvine now waiting for my mom to get home.
    Ended up just hanging out a little. Oh I will have to tell you later about that stupid hotel parking lot today. GRRR!! So irritating
    Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #2078
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Trying to make it on an earlier flight at 5:30 but security is a bitch here!
    Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #2079
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Just gonna make it on. This means I get home at 6:30!
    Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #2080
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just gonna make it on. This means I get home at 6:30!
    Yay! I don't get home til Sun. and I miss my animals. Oh and Greg too I guess. Have a fun flight!!!
    Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #2081
    clayek

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coachman76 View Post
    Is Jeff Coffin and the rest of the band incapable of learning or re-learning songs beyond BWGGK and the songs that have been BEATEN TO DEATH in tour rotation since he joined the band?

Granted, I give them a total pass for the tragedy of Roi's passing. That's not even an issue, it's obvious, I'm not going there.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're essentially playing around 75% of one single album (BWGGK) per concert. I don't know how any but the most loyal fans could tolerate more than 4 or 5 shows in person during this tour. They are beating this album to death. As hard as they may try, as much as others try to say it, as much as they try and convince themselves and the fans, BWGGK is not BTCS, and it is not the Lillywhite Sessions.

Big Whiskey is a decent record. It's better than Everyday (what isn't?) and Stand Up. That's all I can really say about it other than it is their last studio album with LeRoi Moore (unless there are buried tracks in the DMB vault, and there probably are), and that is a tragedy.

I understand this is, in effect, the LeRoi memorial tour, as it should be, which is why they insist on playing around 75% of this record every...single...night. Of course, a band has to play tracks to support it's new record. Smarter bands will ease new material into a set instead of what DMB has done since Everyday, and that is carpet bombing a tour with 50%-75% (or more) of the new album every night of a tour regardless of if fans like it or not, or are sick of it or not. BWGGK is a better record, it is more tolerable, but still drove me to the bathroom and beer stand more than it kept me in my seat this tour.

To me, this makes the DMB experience, the one I've grown older with, that has been a part of my life for well over a decade, a lesser thing. It saddens me as a fan to see them simply refuse to play material like Last Stop....et al. I can't wait for the next tour cycle, when they don't feel compelled to ram the majority of this record down our throats every night of the tour.

IMHO.
    I totally respect your opinion, but I have to beg to differ with you on this. I am a long time fan who has been seeing the band since the "golden days" of 2000. I only see the band once or twice a tour; that is enough DMB for me (there really isn't any band that I would want to see more than that in one tour), so I say this as someone who doesn't spend half of my summer following DMB. If I did, then I might feel the same way as you.
    Honestly, I enjoy the new album tours more than years where they are not promoting a new album. Albeit, non-album years give us some spicy covers (who doesn't like their cover of Burning Down the House or Money) and some nice rare tracks, but the new material that I have never heard is what keeps me coming back. I don't really need to hear Crash or SMTS-ASTB-TM any more after hearing those songs at nearly every show that I went to for the first few years. I was at the 10,000 Lakes Festival show this year and loved that a big chunk of the set was Big Whiskey songs. The main reason that I was excited to go to the Gorge was to hear more Big Whiskey songs (Time Bomb and Baby Blue both eluded me this summer unfortunately since I only went to Saturday night at the Gorge). I think that the new album rocks and I hope that they keep most of those songs in heavy rotation for a long time to come. I'm not trying to nit-pick with your post, just thought that I would offer another viewpoint. I'm loving what the band is doind these days; the tours just keep getting better all the time. Take care.

Jesse
    clayek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #2082
    GrooGrux420
    In Austin we trust.

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazeeee View Post
    I sat next to GrooGrux420 and his friend Donna. Super chill, nice people. Groo had his LOVE sign...Boyd gave him some love and played right in front of him. I held up my LOVE shirt during Ants. Boyd played right in front of me during that. Boyd came over and shook hands with us. Carter handed Groo a stick...Dave was walking off the stage. I yelled DAVE he turn around. I held up the shirt. He gave me a thumbs up. I motioned and threw him the shirt. He caught it and said Thank-You. Fun night.
    It was really great meeting you too! Thanks again for the pins. So glad you got your mission accomplished. The band seemed to dig it. Boyd was the man to come over and shake all 4 of our hands and Carter for giving me his last stick after the set closer. Great night.

Also thank you Boyd for wearing a long shirt and "normal" fit jeans. LIOG could have gone from epic to nightmare by a few inches of fabric...

Last edited by GrooGrux420; 09-11-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    GrooGrux420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #2083
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orange15 View Post
    Any celebrities there last night?

Jennifer Anniston, Ted Danson, and Jason Biggs I saw. Got a photo of Jason and I with the official LOVE Sign. Then today Stefan was nice enough to sign the LOVE Sign. In 2nd row on N1 and didn't notice anyone,hmmm?
    Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #2084
    cswright
    Willy the Polar Bear

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

guy next to me saw kate beckinsale up front?
    u guys who insist that song is not sister are dumb. do u not know about the bonus disk or what? its obviously sister. theres no way that song is going to be called my baby blue. dave loves sister and its not like hes gonna take the same musical components and put it in a completely different song
    cswright is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #2085
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Awww..The Stone...
    Quote:
    I have this creeping suspicion that things here are not as they seem...
    That was totally meant for you....
    It's still in my top five too! You?
    Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #2086
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "Hello, Santa Monica police? Yes, I would like to report two HAWT ladies in bikinis drinking on the beach. What? Are they single? No. Hello, hello?"
    How did I miss this one the other day? Like I said, too bad you missed it.
    Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #2087
    javierm27

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Its only been a couple of days, but man what a 2 night stand, really hope they come back to the Greek next year. Man, that Alligator Pie->Ants Marching was so awesome!
    javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #2088
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How did I miss this one the other day? Like I said, too bad you missed it.
    Yes the captain and cokes on the beach were sooooooooooooooooo gooooooood.
    Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #2089
    leveronea

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coachman76 View Post
    Is Jeff Coffin and the rest of the band incapable of learning or re-learning songs beyond BWGGK and the songs that have been BEATEN TO DEATH in tour rotation since he joined the band?

Granted, I give them a total pass for the tragedy of Roi's passing. That's not even an issue, it's obvious, I'm not going there.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're essentially playing around 75% of one single album (BWGGK) per concert. I don't know how any but the most loyal fans could tolerate more than 4 or 5 shows in person during this tour. They are beating this album to death. As hard as they may try, as much as others try to say it, as much as they try and convince themselves and the fans, BWGGK is not BTCS, and it is not the Lillywhite Sessions.

Big Whiskey is a decent record. It's better than Everyday (what isn't?) and Stand Up. That's all I can really say about it other than it is their last studio album with LeRoi Moore (unless there are buried tracks in the DMB vault, and there probably are), and that is a tragedy.

I understand this is, in effect, the LeRoi memorial tour, as it should be, which is why they insist on playing around 75% of this record every...single...night. Of course, a band has to play tracks to support it's new record. Smarter bands will ease new material into a set instead of what DMB has done since Everyday, and that is carpet bombing a tour with 50%-75% (or more) of the new album every night of a tour regardless of if fans like it or not, or are sick of it or not. BWGGK is a better record, it is more tolerable, but still drove me to the bathroom and beer stand more than it kept me in my seat this tour.

To me, this makes the DMB experience, the one I've grown older with, that has been a part of my life for well over a decade, a lesser thing. It saddens me as a fan to see them simply refuse to play material like Last Stop....et al. I can't wait for the next tour cycle, when they don't feel compelled to ram the majority of this record down our throats every night of the tour.

IMHO.
    I completely agree. I been to quite a few shows this tour and I can see your frustration. I did the Greek set, then headed down to Chula Vista and maybe lost interest in the set list about half way through. Its getting harder to stay focused when you know that a 15 minute 'Lying in the hands of god' is going to start. Every song that is NOT from big Whisky is SOLID and couldn't be better on this tour. However, I am starting to look at a lot of big whisky tracks as filler to older more rehearsed tracks. But the underside is that the album is in fact a great CD. There is no doubt of that. However, to play Time Bomb as an encore in MULTIPLE shows, is just sad. You expect your favorite band to go out with a bang to keep the energy high, but as soon as Time Bomb came on, in 2 of 3 shows this week, I gave up.

I miss watchtower.
    leveronea is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #2090
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leveronea View Post
    I completely agree. I been to quite a few shows this tour and I can see your frustration. I did the Greek set, then headed down to Chula Vista and maybe lost interest in the set list about half way through. Its getting harder to stay focused when you know that a 15 minute 'Lying in the hands of god' is going to start. Every song that is NOT from big Whisky is SOLID and couldn't be better on this tour. However, I am starting to look at a lot of big whisky tracks as filler to older more rehearsed tracks. But the underside is that the album is in fact a great CD. There is no doubt of that. However, to play Time Bomb as an encore in MULTIPLE shows, is just sad. You expect your favorite band to go out with a bang to keep the energy high, but as soon as Time Bomb came on, in 2 of 3 shows this week, I gave up.

I miss watchtower.
    This is just an observation, but do you think the older more rehearsed tracks are just that, older and more rehearsed? They have been playing most of those songs for well over 10 years, easily hundreds of times. The songs have evolved/changed/adapted/morphed/metamorphed/capsized, and been rearranged so many times that every time you here those older, rehearsed tracks feel and sound new.

The BW songs, live are in their infant stage. Give them time. The only way for them to achieve the older, rehearsed track part of their life is to be played over and over and over again. Which is what this tour is partly about. That way the band can get a feel for the songs, find that groove, figure out if/when they can solo and jam on it. Once the band figures that out, people will be loving BW songs like the older more rehearsed songs because then they will have that same feeling when played live.

Last edited by whodat; 09-14-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #2091
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Oh man how I miss the Greek shows. Sad to think that I wont see the band again til next year. Hope they come back to the Greek.
    Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #2092
    methodsmadness

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 420th jimi View Post
    Jennifer Anniston, Ted Danson, and Jason Biggs I saw. Got a photo of Jason and I with the official LOVE Sign. Then today Stefan was nice enough to sign the LOVE Sign. In 2nd row on N1 and didn't notice anyone,hmmm?
    ha! I saw Biggs at the Spring Vegas shows - he loves 'em! And Aniston, on the Ellen show taping today, was talking about how the DMB are one of the few concerts she likes to go to.
    methodsmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #2093
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

I know this review was posted before but did you guys get to see the pics from this show? Those people checking out the show from the trees at the Greek are a trip.

http://www.ocregister.com/photos/dav...-greek-theatre
    Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #2094
    Simply-Mad
    Mr. Scott

Location: Toups Town - Commissioner of Story Telling. Seal Beach

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

ok i have seen Greek N2 up for download but has anyone posted N1?
    “In theory- Theory is the same as practice, In practice- Theory is no where near practice“ “E as in David” “You can't call it all day drinking unless you start in the morning” “A is for Absinthe” “Straight to forever”
    www.toupstownusa.com www.simply-mad.com “I wont get a hangover if I don't quit drinking”
    Simply-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #2095
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simply-Mad View Post
    ok i have seen Greek N2 up for download but has anyone posted N1?
    Absolutely. Over at www.dreamingtree.org they are all up. These shows were great.
    Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #2096
    Simply-Mad
    Mr. Scott

Location: Toups Town - Commissioner of Story Telling. Seal Beach

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 420th jimi View Post
    Absolutely. Over at www.dreamingtree.org they are all up. These shows were great.
    not sure if I remember my account info
    “In theory- Theory is the same as practice, In practice- Theory is no where near practice“ “E as in David” “You can't call it all day drinking unless you start in the morning” “A is for Absinthe” “Straight to forever”
    www.toupstownusa.com www.simply-mad.com “I wont get a hangover if I don't quit drinking”
    Simply-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #2097
    cswright
    Willy the Polar Bear

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

looking for some good pictures to use for album art for these shows......can anybody help?
    u guys who insist that song is not sister are dumb. do u not know about the bonus disk or what? its obviously sister. theres no way that song is going to be called my baby blue. dave loves sister and its not like hes gonna take the same musical components and put it in a completely different song
    cswright is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #2098
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simply-Mad View Post
    not sure if I remember my account info

Just try to get in, then when you mess up, they will email it to you.
    Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #2099
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cswright View Post
    looking for some good pictures to use for album art for these shows......can anybody help?
    I haven't seen too many on this thread but the OC register had some. Here's a link, those tree people are funny.

http://www.ocregister.com/photos/dav...-greek-theatre
    Old 09-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #2100
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone listened to this show? I can't stop listening to that Improv Jam, it's pretty sweet.