**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #301
Hudak-Budak
Asshole.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I think you need $500 to start.
$350 for an entry-level turntable (Rega P1, Pro-Ject Debut III) and $150 for an entry-level phono preamp (Rega MiniFono, Pro-Ject II, Parasound Zphono).

At the $100 mark you're not going to get much better performance than CD will give you. At the $500 mark you're going to be blowing CD away unless you've got a $5,000 CD player of course.
So putting any of this on my Christmas list probably wouldn't be worth it, then.

Censorship is a cancer.
Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #302
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

If you really want to give it a try, but don't want to start at $500, Audio-Technica's AT-P120 has a built in preamp, and isn't a terrible table. AT is usually seen as a DJ brand (with modern Technics in the lead), so some people neglect it as a playback table, but the AT-P120 is a pretty solid table. It's on Amazon for under 200. Buy a good cartridge at the same time, and it's basically the cheapest way into TTs without needing an upgrade ASAP.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #303
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Stay away from the AT-PL50. It's ~$100 and has a built in pre-amp. Complete crap. I had one to get started and it died after a year and the sound it pretty bad
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #304
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I think you could definitely start in the $200 range and have a pretty low-fi but still cool set-up. There are plenty of vintage Pioneer, Sony, AT, etc tables out that are 20+ years old but are still going strong...and they can be had for under (sometimes well under) $100...throw in a $100 pre-amp and if you already have a stereo you're good to go. Seriously, I'm still running my JVC Quartz-Lock F4, a 30-year-old table, and the thing still runs great. Can always upgrade from there but it's a nice start if you don't really know whether you're a big fan of the little things that go along with vinyl. Sometimes noisy discs, record cleaning, etc...

Last edited by Bron Yr Aur; 04-03-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Bron Yr Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #305
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

For those people on a budget and looking to get into vinyl, I highly recommend buying a preamp here: http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

I purchased this preamp several months ago and have been really happy with it.
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #306
    Hudak-Budak
    Asshole.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

What is a preamp and why would one need it?

By the way, I'm a complete beginner. But I hate going to my parents' place and seeing their record collection sit there collecting dust.

Censorship is a cancer.
    Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #307
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudak-Budak View Post

By the way, I'm a complete beginner. But I hate going to my parents' place and seeing their record collection sit there collecting dust.
    A pre-amp is what it sounds like: it amplifies the signal from the turntable before it gets to your amp/receiver. Most receivers are not built with preamps, so unless you have a table with a preamp in it, you'll need to buy one. Otherwise your sound will be extremely quiet, not dynamic at all.
    Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #308
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudak-Budak View Post

Most new receivers/amps don't have preamps (or phono stages) built in anymore. And if they do, they are probably pretty crappy. A Pre-amp amplifies the signal from the stylus/cartridge on the turntable.
    Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #309
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Schwing!

Just picked up a sealed Simply Vinyl pressing of Jeff Buckley's "Grace" for $20 on Music Stack! This record normally goes for over $50 when sealed because it's been OOP for some time now.
    Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #310
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Same table I have. It should've come installed with with ATP-2 cartridge, no? If so, that's a pretty good free cartridge, and not one that necessarily needs to be replaced unless old. As long as your tracking force is set correctly, and your records are as clean as can be, you shouldn't have a problem. Though upgrading the cartridge never hurts. But that cartridge is a step up from cartridges that come installed in a lot of entry-level tables.

Do you feel like you get a good sound out of it? What is the rest of your setup like as far as preamps, recievers, speakers/headphones?

Also what do you recommend for cleaning records? Ive got the that sorta normal brush that just gets some dust off, but I feel like its not the best way of getting them as clean as possible.

Thanks!
    Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #311
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Do you feel like you get a good sound out of it? What is the rest of your setup like as far as preamps, recievers, speakers/headphones?

Also what do you recommend for cleaning records? Ive got the that sorta normal brush that just gets some dust off, but I feel like its not the best way of getting them as clean as possible.

Thanks!
    I feel like the sound is great quality for what I paid for it. The preamp that is built in is an AT preamp, so it's good quality. I run it through a Denon 7.1 receiver, which is my home theater receiver. I run 5.1 surround, and for records, I use the two tower speakers and my subwoofer, all Sony, which will be the next upgrade.

As for record cleaning, if you can't invest in a cleaning machine (doby posted a link to one a couple pages ago, usually 150 bucks), use disc doctor. I clean my records usually once every couple of months on a rainy day when there
    s nothing else to do, and that stuff is amazing.

Today I made two lot purchases. First lot was 4 Aerosmith albums (Greatest Hits, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Draw the Line) for 99 cents, before shipping. The other one I definitely overpaid for, but I don't care. I've decided it's the next band I'm going to complete a collection for. For 25 bucks including shipping, I got Houses of the Holy, The Song Remains the Same, In Through The Out Door, and Coda.
    Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #312
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I feel like the sound is great quality for what I paid for it. The preamp that is built in is an AT preamp, so it's good quality. I run it through a Denon 7.1 receiver, which is my home theater receiver. I run 5.1 surround, and for records, I use the two tower speakers and my subwoofer, all Sony, which will be the next upgrade.

As for record cleaning, if you can't invest in a cleaning machine (doby posted a link to one a couple pages ago, usually 150 bucks), use disc doctor. I clean my records usually once every couple of months on a rainy day when there
    s nothing else to do, and that stuff is amazing.

Today I made two lot purchases. First lot was 4 Aerosmith albums (Greatest Hits, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Draw the Line) for 99 cents, before shipping. The other one I definitely overpaid for, but I don't care. I've decided it's the next band I'm going to complete a collection for. For 25 bucks including shipping, I got Houses of the Holy, The Song Remains the Same, In Through The Out Door, and Coda.
    You wet-clean your records every couple of months? Just stuff that you recently acquired or stuff that you already cleaned? I would warn against cleaning too often. If you've properly cleaned a record once, you should really only use a carbon fiber brush every time you play it and do nothing else unless it sits away for a while and acquires some dirt.
    Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #313
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Just a boredom thing, yeah. I don't go through everything, just the newest purchases, and anything I've heard audio problems. Usually about 30 or 40 albums or so every few months. For instance, since I've come back to NY, I've bought about 20 albums, most of them used. So whenever I have the time, I'll wash those, and anything that hasn't sounded too good lately.
    Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #314
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah that's pretty much the way I do it too. I'll always give new albums a clean unless I put them on and they have zero surface noise, like my Simply Vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn.

Carbon fibre brush is an absolute necessity to have once you've washed your records and they stay either under the stylus or in an anti-static sleeve.

For washing, that GEM Dandy is amazing.
    Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #315
    skaman343
    I love big brother

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I am glad there are still people out there who appreciate Vinyl. I am at work, but off the top of my head I have a live beach boys album, U2 "Under a Blood Red Sky" and "Unforgettable Fire", Flogging Molly "Drunken Lullabies", some Elvis, Less Than Jake "Anthem". I know I have more but I haven't looked at it in a while cause my turntable is packed away. Will update more later.
    skaman343 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #316
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much the way I do it too. I'll always give new albums a clean unless I put them on and they have zero surface noise, like my Simply Vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn.

Carbon fibre brush is an absolute necessity to have once you've washed your records and they stay either under the stylus or in an anti-static sleeve.

For washing, that GEM Dandy is amazing.
    To be honest, as far as new records go, I rarely clean them unless there is some noise.

I had never heard of the GEM Dandy so I looked it up.....I'd say I'm a bit unsure about this one. Do you use the Groove Lube? I don't know what is in it, but I would be highly skeptical of any solution that is applied to a record but not taken off. And using tap water to clean the record would make me think you're going to get water spots and just add other particulates back to the record after you get rid of the ones that were already there.
    Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #317
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    To be honest, as far as new records go, I rarely clean them unless there is some noise.

I had never heard of the GEM Dandy so I looked it up.....I'd say I'm a bit unsure about this one. Do you use the Groove Lube? I don't know what is in it, but I would be highly skeptical of any solution that is applied to a record but not taken off. And using tap water to clean the record would make me think you're going to get water spots and just add other particulates back to the record after you get rid of the ones that were already there.
    I was skeptical too, particularly about the tap water...so I e-mailed it's creator George Merrill about it. He recommended the inline filter that I went ahead and ordered from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010ED27I

It's a Culligan RV-800 water filter and works like a charm, plus it's only an extra $25. Still beats the heck out of paying $2,500 for a VPI or Nitty Gritty. You can read the 6 moons review of it here - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

It works like a charm. It doesn't leave spots because after removing it from the device you give it a gentle shake then clean it with the microfibre cloth that it comes with....which removes all the water with pretty bizarre efficiency.

As for the groove Lube, I did use the Groove Lube on one or two records and there is a sonic improvement in terms of vinyl noise, but it doesn't evaporate like they say it does and thus leaves a residue on the inside of the anti-static sleeve so you have to rebuff it before you play it. I haven't used it of late and don't intend to, the Dandy gets the record clean enough and if it's in good shape then you don't need the lube. I might use it in the future on records that I find still leave something to be desired, but with a clean Mint record there is no reason to use it, all it needs is a brush.

Anyway George Merrill makes the Merrill-Scillia tables which are held in pretty high regard, including the $14,000 MS21 - http://www.merrillscillia.com/ms21.html

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #318
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Byrne/Eno- My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, for $4.99.

It's the 1981, first pressing, meaning it has Qu'ran on it, which is pretty damn cool. Excellent condition for the sleeve and record.
    Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #319
    brendangen412
    Plumbing Joe

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Brendan #2, is that another ebay purchase, cause i've been looking for that in stores for a while?
    Sweeping the Ghettos of DMBc
    brendangen412 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #320
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Ebay purchase. And I said today was going to be a day off from looking.
    Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #321
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

On Saturday I picked up 'Tennessee Pusher' from Old Crow Medicine Show and 'We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank' from Modest Mouse. Amusingly enough I haven't bought a new turntable so they are just sitting there with the rest of my vinyl. Hopefully in a few weeks I can buy a new one.
    Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #322
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you really want to give it a try, but don't want to start at $500, Audio-Technica's AT-P120 has a built in preamp, and isn't a terrible table. AT is usually seen as a DJ brand (with modern Technics in the lead), so some people neglect it as a playback table, but the AT-P120 is a pretty solid table. It's on Amazon for under 200. Buy a good cartridge at the same time, and it's basically the cheapest way into TTs without needing an upgrade ASAP.
    Truth. I went with the AT-PL120 when I wanted to get a new table and not break the band. It's very solid and comes with a pretty decent cartridge as well. (Though you can upgrade that if you want.)

Obviously it's not as nice as a $1000+ audiophile quality table, but it's a great TT to get if you don't have a ton of money to spend but also don't want to buy some piece of shit for $100 at Best Buy that will sound like ass and ruin your records.

It has a built in pre-amp, but you can turn it off and use your own pre-amp as well. There's a selector switch for this underneath the platter.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that it doesn't have an auto-return function, meaning you have to get up and manually raise the needle when the record gets to the end of the side.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #323
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

^ Wow that is terrible, I had the AT-PL50 and it had the auto return function
    Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #324
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

All the automated functionality adds to the cost of the turntable and the actual sonic benefits of the table, ie - the stuff that goes into making the turntable a good turntable, take up less of the cost which is a bad thing.

You don't need auto-return, just get up and flip the record and move onto Side 2!

Seriously though, if you're on a budget and want good sound a fully manual turntable where you even have to lift up the platter to change from 33 1/3 to 45 is giving you the most performance per dollar. If you want an entry-level table without spending $500, consider looking for a Pro-Ject Debut III, MMF 2.2, Rega P1, etc., on www.audiogon.com where you'll get one used.

I would strongly recommend looking at the Goldring GR-1 table. It's built by Rega and is almost identical to the P1 with a Rega tonearm, but comes with the Goldring Elektra cartridge which alone is almost $100 to replace. It's roughly US$327 from http://www.audiophileboutique.com/Goldring.html and shipping is about $15. I have a GR-2 and it's beautiful, but Rega won't make them anymore for Goldring because they were losing business in the P1~P3 range.

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-07-2009 at 05:48 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #325
    blazerman507
    T

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

hello fellow vinyl collectors. i've been collecting vinyl for about a year now and recently wrote a two-part piece on my collection and vinyl's resurgence in the music industry. thought you guys might find it interesting:

http://thedrunkenscribe.blogspot.com...on-part-1.html

http://thedrunkenscribe.blogspot.com...on-part-2.html

just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #326
    aclark0622
    man/bag of sand

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

^ Good read. Thanks.
    -andy
    aclark0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #327
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Good read, however I still think the digital physical format has one go around yet and that's Blu-ray. CD still sells well and its approaching its 30th year, clearly people still like a physical format and its no surprise with the loudness war that vinyl has seen a resurgence. I won't go into detail with what I think can be done with Blu-ray, I've mentioned it plenty, but give people a real reason to pony up $20/recording again and they'll do it...CD just isn't it and neither are these deluxe editions because at the heart of it is the same old dynamically challenged CD.

Anyway, I think vinyl will be around for another 60 years no problem.
    Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #328
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Can't wait to see the vinyl of this http://antsmarching.org/images/whiskey.jpg

MPizzle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #329
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Paul Simon S/T, Led Zeppelin II, and Rubber Soul all came in the last two days, and all are purdy.
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #330
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Just paid 20 bucks for Floyd - Wish You Were Here. Better be as good a condition as they said.