New WH GA PIT Policy... - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #91
Moshav

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New WH GA PIT Policy...

Went through this experience yesterday in Pensacola for the first time. I'm sure everybody would have been cool about it if they knew ahead of time, but the email came in after folks had been in line all day (and some even spent the night). Since this was a surprise to most people, everybody was pretty pissed about it and it was pretty much a cluster.

The time limit cut off at number 95, and then the number they drew was 22. So the first 21 people (who had been there all day) were theoretically screwed. And If I heard correctly, 21 and 22 were a married couple and they were NOT allowed in together (this is different than the way Bruce does it, in my experience).

When it was time to go in, the crew and security literally started yelling out each number in order and then letting people through security and into the venue. They gave each number approximately five seconds to appear before they yelled the next one. Each person that went in was thus about 10 seconds in front of the next.

Good news was that the pit was very spacious, and folks were cool enough to let a few of the all-day crazies to the front.

Bottom line is that it is a fine and good system, but the lack of advance knowledge yesterday was pretty infuriating.
Moshav is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #92
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Did that email go out to everyone or just those with tickets to the event? I am not showing I got that email and I have series 1 tickets.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #93
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

This beats my idea of creating another railed-off section of the pit at the very front that only holds 20 people right on the rail. Sell the tickets for like $500 a piece.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #94
    dmbdrew41

Shows Seen: 191

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    Did that email go out to everyone or just those with tickets to the event? I am not showing I got that email and I have series 1 tickets.
    I didn't get one either....
    dmbdrew41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #95
    ISawTheBridge10

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think a day-of heads up is fine for about 99% of the population. If you line up a day in advance to ride the rail and watch Dave’s pit stains form, that’s cool—everyone has their own evaluation of their own time, but it’s not always going to be adhered to.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #96
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

This is absolutely fantastic. Bruce Springsteen uses this system and it works well. The only bummer with Springsteen is it can determine weather or not you make the pit, even though everyone pays the same price. With this you're in the pit regardless. Dave won't have to see the same losers on the rail every night and the venue doesn't have to worry about people lining up. Great move.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #97
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moshav View Post
    Since this was a surprise to most people, everybody was pretty pissed about it and it was pretty much a cluster.
    Words cannot explain how much I love this, although it's ridiculous they split up a couple.

I've always dreamed for this scenario to happen at the Springsteen European shows where people queue/line up for days. A couple of hours before the show "I'm so happy you guys are already lined up so we can easily distribute wristbands and get this lottery going "
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 05:12 AM   #98
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't slouch! Yeah, My fiancee and I are one of the few people mainly trying to get up there just because we can then actually see the show. Don't get me wrong, the arm rest is nice and having a little space in front of you in the pit is great. It does also increase your chances of getting a stick etc. I'm not discounting any of that.

However, for us, we are both short. Having the 6'1 guy in front of us basically means we can't see at all and will have to spend a majority of our evening bobbing/weaving our heads back and forth in the opposite direction of whatever you are doing so that we can see over your shoulder. With her being 5 foot even that may not even work. Especially in the pit since there is no real incline at least in the seats you gain a couple inches every row.
    I've been in the pit about 10 times and if there are shorter people behind me, I always move them in front of me. As other's have said, the worst people I have ever met at Dave shows are always in the pit. Bunch of entitled douche nozzles.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 05:14 AM   #99
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Went through this experience yesterday in Pensacola for the first time. I'm sure everybody would have been cool about it if they knew ahead of time, but the email came in after folks had been in line all day (and some even spent the night). Since this was a surprise to most people, everybody was pretty pissed about it and it was pretty much a cluster.
    spent the night in line.... for a one-off show.... in Pensacola, Florida

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #100
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The time limit cut off at number 95, and then the number they drew was 22. So the first 21 people (who had been there all day) were theoretically screwed. And If I heard correctly, 21 and 22 were a married couple and they were NOT allowed in together (this is different than the way Bruce does it, in my experience).

When it was time to go in, the crew and security literally started yelling out each number in order and then letting people through security and into the venue. They gave each number approximately five seconds to appear before they yelled the next one. Each person that went in was thus about 10 seconds in front of the next.

Good news was that the pit was very spacious, and folks were cool enough to let a few of the all-day crazies to the front.

Bottom line is that it is a fine and good system, but the lack of advance knowledge yesterday was pretty infuriating.
    Yeah, this is not cool.

"Sorry honey, see you in 5 hours!"
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 AM   #101
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    I've been in the pit about 10 times and if there are shorter people behind me, I always move them in front of me. As other's have said, the worst people I have ever met at Dave shows are always in the pit. Bunch of entitled douche nozzles.
    I never understood this. I feel for them, but they are free to more to the left or right. I'm taller than most people in the pit, does that mean I have to watch from the back every show?
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #102
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    I never understood this. I feel for them, but they are free to more to the left or right. I'm taller than most people in the pit, does that mean I have to watch from the back every show?

I was in reserved seating for a show one time. I'm anywhere between 6'1" and 6'3" depending on what convenience store I'm walking out of. Lady right behind me asked me if I could turn sideways because she was short and couldn't see.

So....you want me to turn and watch the show standing sideways so you can see? No. Not doing that.
    Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #103
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Im 6’2. If someone chooses to stand behind me, that’s on them. I don’t park myself in front of people shorter than me but I’m not dancing around the PIT to make sure I’m letting shorter people have a view.

Do short people hand over their exit row seats to tall people?

For the extra money tall people have to spend to not have their knees pushed into the seat in front of them for X hours on a flight for their entire life, you could buy a seat instead of going PIT.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #104
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I would just say to the people on the rail "how about you put me up there and I'll lean forward" then I'll be 5'8" instead of 6'1"
    Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #105
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    I was in reserved seating for a show one time. I'm anywhere between 6'1" and 6'3" depending on what convenience store I'm walking out of. Lady right behind me asked me if I could turn sideways because she was short and couldn't see.

So....you want me to turn and watch the show standing sideways so you can see? No. Not doing that.

I have been asked a handful of times in the reserved seats if I will sit down because the person behind me can't see. Sure, if you get everyone in front of me to sit down, I will sit down too.

My wife is 5'2", so I can certainly empathize. That's why we prefer GA over seats, because we can move around until she finds a view. In the seats, it's just a roll of the dice on whether or not she's going to have people in front of her blocking her view. But that's just concert life for a short person.
    Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #106
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    But that's just concert life for a short person.
    Exactly. Just like flying for tall people sucks. Luckily, there are options for short people at concerts just like there are options for tall people on flights.

And as you mentioned, as soon as short people hand over their exit row seats to tall people, I'll gladly step out of the way at a concert for someone or change seats etc.

Bottom line, if anyone expects anyone to cater to them because they are short/tall, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #107
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Exactly. Just like flying for tall people sucks. Luckily, there are options for short people at concerts just like there are options for tall people on flights.

And as you mentioned, as soon as short people hand over their exit row seats to tall people, I'll gladly step out of the way at a concert for someone or change seats etc.

Bottom line, if anyone expects anyone to cater to them because they are short/tall, you're gonna have a bad time.
    As a shorter dude (5'8") I would never expect a tall person to move out of the way for me. The only time I take issue is when I'm at a GA show - usually smaller club/ballroom/theater type show - and I'm already in my spot, and then a taller person who arrived later than me comes up and tries to squeeze in front of me. I've had this happen on several occasions and will always say something.

Outside of that specific situation, there's nothing you can do. (Also another reason I prefer reserved seating - if there's a tall person in front of me at least I have the slope of the floor to even things out a bit.)

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #108
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    As a shorter dude (5'8") I would never expect a tall person to move out of the way for me. The only time I take issue is when I'm at a GA show - usually smaller club/ballroom/theater type show - and I'm already in my spot, and then a taller person who arrived later than me comes up and tries to squeeze in front of me. I've had this happen on several occasions and will always say something.

Outside of that specific situation, there's nothing you can do. (Also another reason I prefer reserved seating - if there's a tall person in front of me at least I have the slope of the floor to even things out a bit.)
    Exactly, and I would never step in front of someone like that.

My GF is 5'8 and in the PIT last year the Gorge, some 6'3 dude mid-set moved in front of her. I asked politely if he could move and he apologized and did. The only reason he did shift over too was the PIT was moving around as it usually does. It's almost impossible to be standing in the exact spot throughout the whole show. With a PIT as big as Gorge, everyone sort of moves around as a wave or whatever.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #109
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Yea, that's not cool and I would never do that. Sometimes when I'm with Allison and her cousin (equally as short) they want to plinko their way into the crowd and get a close spot. I'm like, I can't do that. Y'all go ahead, I'll hang back here. Even if I was a jerk and didn't mind doing that, I'm also claustrophobic in tight crowds, so I'm better off at the back anyway.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #110
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Since we are on the subject of short/tall people. I'll never forget this. About 5 years ago in Dallas we had reserved seats and there was a short woman in front of us and so my fiancee was happy because she could actually see since this woman was also about 5 feet tall, maybe even a little shorter. The next thing we know, just as the band gets on stage, she pulls out a foot stool out of no where and stands on it. My fiancee freaked out. Luckily she wasn't the only one. Everyone told her to get off that and deal with being short and quit blocking everyone's view.

To this day, I have no idea how the hell she got a foot stool into the venue. I guess it technically isn't on the prohibited item list...

Last edited by dmbnut21; 05-02-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #111
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea, that's not cool and I would never do that. Sometimes when I'm with Allison and her cousin (equally as short) they want to plinko their way into the crowd and get a close spot. I'm like, I can't do that. Y'all go ahead, I'll hang back here. Even if I was a jerk and didn't mind doing that, I'm also claustrophobic in tight crowds, so I'm better off at the back anyway.
    Those really are the worst people on the planet. Last year at Gorge N1, two pretty ripped guys shoved their way into the first 3-4 rows of people in the center of the PIT at 8:10. No joke.. elbows up, pushing through everyone including my GF and I.

I'm pretty good at keeping my cool but it really annoyed me given we had been standing there since 6PM already. Luckily enough people mumbled some crap and stared them down so they bailed about five minutes later. The energy went form excitement to blood boiling for everyone in that area. But Dave fixed that by writing Pig as the first song to open the weekend

Anyways, f those people and .. your friends lol

Last edited by Bmwm3oz; 05-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #112
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Since we are on the subject of short/tall people. I'll never forget this. About 5 years ago in Dallas we had reserved seats and there was a short woman in front of us and so my fiancee was happy because she could actually see since this woman was also about 5 feet tall, maybe even a little shorter. The next thing we know, just as the band gets on stage, she pulls out a foot stool out of no where and standing on it. My fiancee freaked out. Luckily she wasn't the only one. Everyone told her to get off that and deal with being short and quit blocking everyone's view.

To this day, I have no idea how the hell she got a foot stool into the venue. I guess it technically isn't on the prohibited item list...
    What a story... unbelievable.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #113
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Haha, Allison and her cousin are 5"2" and like 110lbs. They can move into a crowd and find a pocket up close without really displacing anyone, and certainly without blocking anyone's view. Not the same as someone my size doing it.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #114
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Since we are on the subject of short/tall people. I'll never forget this. About 5 years ago in Dallas we had reserved seats and there was a short woman in front of us and so my fiancee was happy because she could actually see since this woman was also about 5 feet tall, maybe even a little shorter. The next thing we know, just as the band gets on stage, she pulls out a foot stool out of no where and stands on it. My fiancee freaked out. Luckily she wasn't the only one. Everyone told her to get off that and deal with being short and quit blocking everyone's view.

That's amazing. How tall was the stool? Someone that short, even on a foot stool, wouldn't block my view so I'd be like more power to ya. Allison would rage though.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #115
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha, Allison and her cousin are 5"2" and like 110lbs. They can move into a crowd and find a pocket up close without really displacing anyone, and certainly without blocking anyone's view. Not the same as someone my size doing it.
    Good point. That wouldn't bother me.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #116
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

I was on the rail one time and two girls pushed their way up to the front. It was in the later part of the set, so I let them stand in my spot on the rail while I stood behind my wife. No big deal.

Carter starts passing out sticks, and gives one to them.

That was the last time I have ever been kind or courteous to someone at a show.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #117
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

how tall did the stool make her?

People are nuts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #118
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That's amazing. How tall was the stool? Someone that short, even on a foot stool, wouldn't block my view so I'd be like more power to ya. Allison would rage though.
    It was probably 12-16 inches high, foot deep, 2 feet long. The legs folded so she probably got it in using a backpack. It looked solid, aluminum with rubber stoppers on the legs and rubber on the top of it. This wasn't her first rodeo.

My Allison did rage. When the chick stood on her tip toes on it and I thought she was going to pull it out from under her. It escalated pretty quickly. About 6 people started telling her hell no and then an usher noticed it and said, yeah, no. Put that away. The lady then turned around and sneered at everyone and told us we were all assholes, she was short and it was unfair and all it did was make her about 6 feet tall, it wasn't that big a deal.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #119
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Amazing . People are really unbelievable. What kind of self entitled person does that? If you need to bring a stool in, the PIT or whatever is not for you.
    Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #120
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    The only reason he did shift over too was the PIT was moving around as it usually does. It's almost impossible to be standing in the exact spot throughout the whole show.
    That's a crazy phenomenon. My wife and I were standing at the rail for a show in the ACL Theater once, and try as I may I could not hold my ground and ended up about 4' or 5' from where I was when the show started. And nobody new showed up, it just kinda happened.