New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 710 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #21271
RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
I can't wait to get the thing I don't want, just trying to make sure I'm up to standard
Who said this though? The hot take was the person saying they didn’t want new music from the band. When did they say they couldn’t wait for this album as well?
RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #21272
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep View Post
    Who said this though? The hot take was the person saying they didn’t want new music from the band. When did they say they couldn’t wait for this album as well?

That person didn't, doesn't mean that the combination of A) being upset the band hasn't released more material / an album B) thinking it'll suck isn't a common viewpoint
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #21273
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That person didn't, doesn't mean that the combination of A) being upset the band hasn't released more material / an album B) thinking it'll suck isn't a common viewpoint
    Sure, but not what happened here. Expressing that you don’t want new music from this band because of x,y,z is justified as would be saying why you do want it (for whatever reasons). Not sure why that’s mocked.
    Old 12-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #21274
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't wait to get the thing I don't want, just trying to make sure I'm up to standard
    Spot on, sir!
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #21275
    BarkRock

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sure, but not what happened here. Expressing that you don’t want new music from this band because of x,y,z is justified as would be saying why you do want it (for whatever reasons). Not sure why that’s mocked.
    Saying that you don't want new music is not justified and it should be mocked.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #21276
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarkRock View Post
    Saying that you don't want new music is not justified and it should be mocked.
    Okay…says you I guess. Having a different opinion than you about this topic is unjustified, got it.
    Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #21277
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Matt Nathanson tweeted out yesterday that dmb is criminally maligned. Found that random and interesting.
    Well, considering his most popular song is essentially just Crash Into Me in a different key…
    Old 12-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #21278
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Well, considering his most popular song is essentially just Crash Into Me in a different key…
    Fair point haha never thought about that. I wouldn’t put that in his top ten tho. His first few albums are really really good imo.

For anyone who hasn’t listened to him I recommend checking out “live at the point”. Enjoyable listen straight thru.

Last edited by bibby1044; 12-07-2022 at 04:34 AM.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #21279
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Huh, so that Christian Rock aesthetic is possible outside of the religious realms, how horrifying.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #21280
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Wonder when Dave is going to reveal the "surprise" he has for us that he talked about 2 years ago when he did the Warehouse Sessions with Carter in 2020. Hope he doesn't tease his kids like that!
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #21281
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    Wonder when Dave is going to reveal the "surprise" he has for us that he talked about 2 years ago when he did the Warehouse Sessions with Carter in 2020. Hope he doesn't tease his kids like that!
    Christmas time in the Matthew's household "PS5 coming soon"
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #21282
    TerrapinMonkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The surprise was that we got that session released to us. And it sounds great!
    TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #21283
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

They need to drop this new album soon so Dave can start writing sets like this.

“We’re gonna play some of these and some of those and I hope I have a good time tooonightttt”

That Girl is You
    When the World Ends
    New Shit Song #1
    The Other Thing
    Madman’s Eyes
    Crush
    Proudest Monkey
    Satellite
    Do You Remember
    New Shit Song #2
    So Much To Say
    ASTB
    Too Much
    Walk Around the Moon
    Sledgehammer
    Average New Song #3
    Ocean and the Butterfly
    Come Tomorrow
    New Shit Song #4
    Jimi Thing
    Louisiana Bayou

Rye Whiskey
    Ants Marching

Last edited by kmbean; 12-07-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #21284
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    They need to drop this new album soon so Dave can start writing sets like this.

“We’re gonna play some of these and some of those and I hope I have a good time tooonightttt”

That Girl is You
    When the World Ends
    New Shit Song #1
    The Other Thing
    Madman’s Eyes
    Crush
    Proudest Monkey
    Satellite
    Do You Remember
    New Shit Song #2
    So Much To Say
    ASTB
    Too Much
    Walk Around the Moon
    Sledgehammer
    Average New Song #3
    Ocean and the Butterfly
    Come Tomorrow
    New Shit Song #4
    Jimi Thing
    Louisiana Bayou

Rye Whiskey
    Ants Marching
    I bet you’re fun at parties.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #21285
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "I hope Dave doesn't have a surprise for us. I'd rather he just not have any surprises and just stick to his old songs" - RunawayTwoStep
    Old 12-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #21286
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

nDMBc aside, which is a perfectly valid and awesome reason to stay engaged on antsmarching.org - I cannot imagine the motivation to continue in DMBc if new music was never going to happen ever again. What would we talk about that hasn't already been talked about thousands of times before?

Related to that, isn't part of the intrigue to see what these talented musicians in a completely different iteration of themselves can produce when they are making at album that is seemingly a "this version of the band" album? New music is an exciting prospect. Sure, doesn't always turn out great, but I can't imagine sustaining myself on the DMB without it. Maybe that's just because it's been so long for me, but the perspective genuinely boggles my mind.
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #21287
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "I hope Dave doesn't have a surprise for us. I'd rather he just not have any surprises and just stick to his old songs" - RunawayTwoStep
    many in here agree with the sentiment that this bands’ wheelhouse is the live act aspect, and that their studio output has only gone downhill.

Someone says “I wish they’d just put more effort/care towards the thing we all know they’re good at, and stop putting out new music because they’re clearly bad at it anyways”, and this message board freaks out?

It’s really not that far fetched of a thought, again, not sure why it ruffled the sensitive feathers in here.
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #21288
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    many in here agree with the sentiment that this bands’ wheelhouse is the live act aspect, and that their studio output has only gone downhill.

Someone says “I wish they’d just put more effort/care towards the thing we all know they’re good at, and stop putting out new music because they’re clearly bad at it anyways”, and this message board freaks out?

It’s really not that far fetched of a thought, again, not sure why it ruffled the sensitive feathers in here.
    I'm just joking with you... all in good fun.
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #21289
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    nDMBc aside, which is a perfectly valid and awesome reason to stay engaged on antsmarching.org - I cannot imagine the motivation to continue in DMBc if new music was never going to happen ever again. What would we talk about that hasn't already been talked about thousands of times before?

Related to that, isn't part of the intrigue to see what these talented musicians in a completely different iteration of themselves can produce when they are making at album that is seemingly a "this version of the band" album? New music is an exciting prospect. Sure, doesn't always turn out great, but I can't imagine sustaining myself on the DMB without it. Maybe that's just because it's been so long for me, but the perspective genuinely boggles my mind.
    Agree. I live for new music from all bands.
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #21290
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

We should just stop bringing any of this up and instead talk about how many tour dates they go on every year (definitely more than those Pearl Jam lazy fucks), how great their play/performance aspect is, and ballwash the band. It is supposed to be fun and we are just supposed to eat up whatever they give us without any discussion or criticism of it until they retire.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #21291
    south535

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I definitely want a new album, not because I think it’s going to be of the quality of “the Big 4”, but just because Dave is a writer I’m interested in hearing from. I sincerely believe he still has interesting things to say mostly melodically and occasionally lyrically, and think he does enjoy writing, but is clearly in his own head about sharing it.

The fact the band waits 5+ years to release something seems to create this snowball effect of NEEDING the album to be perfect, or important. When you hear in interviews Dave say something to the effect of he’s been convinced to change the album by outside parties and he regrets it, I’m sure that’s true, but none of these recently released albums were a “mix” or a bridge or a lyric away from being a classic. They are different (and honestly not as good) as the stuff we all fell in love with 20 years ago, but that’s okay too.

It makes me think about some of my favorite other bands like Wilco or Andrew Bird. Given these artists are much more confident, prolific writers, but I also think they can release an album without it needing to be perfect, because they’ll just release another album next year. I guess my meandering point is, had all this recorded music had been released in a timely manner, sure, we might have 3 jams and 8 forgettable songs, but that’d be forgiven if a year or two later we got another 3 jams. I just want to hear how one of my favorite writers writes these days.

Madman’s Eyes is a perfectly great song for this version of who Dave is now, as are some of the others. Even the ones I don’t prefer… Who cares! Release it, and move on to the next batch! Who knows, maybe one day they’ll stumble into a classic.
    south535 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #21292
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm just joking with you... all in good fun.
    no worries -I’m stepping off the defensive soapbox now.
    Old 12-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #21293
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

What people need to understand is that it takes years to get a DMB album right, you can’t just pull things like “bang bang you’re dead now could be real, I got a bag of smoke come on let’s make a deal” out of thin air you need some real inspiration to hit you as you sit at a NYC coffee shop with pen and paper in hand. Take a look at history over the past 15 years and it is apparent the band has the studio creative process nailed down and we just need to be patient as my grandfather used to say the Mona Lisa wasn’t painted in a fortnight. This isn’t Blink 182 we are talking about who follow a simplistic I-IV-V chord structure and elementary bass lines my uncle could play and keep in mind he has severe arthritis in each of his hands. Blink has followed this approach for years and has only sold a measly 50,000,000 albums.

Last edited by kmbean; 12-07-2022 at 12:06 PM.
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #21294
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    What people need to understand is that it takes years to get a DMB album right, you can’t just pull things like “bang bang you’re dead now could be real, I got a bag of smoke come on let’s make a deal” out of thin air you need some real inspiration to hit you as you sit at a NYC coffee shop with pen and paper in hand. Take a look at history over the past 15 years and it is apparent the band has the studio creative process nailed down and we just need to be patient as my grandfather used to say the Mona Lisa wasn’t painted in a fortnight. This isn’t Blink 182 we are talking about who follow a simplistic I-IV-V chord structure and elementary bass lines my uncle could play and keep in mind he has severe arthritis in each of his hands. Blink has followed this approach for years and has only sold a measly 50,000,000 albums.
    they have released one album in ten years....4.5 years ago.

by definition, that means they don't have the studio process nailed down.
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #21295
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I agree 100%. If you haven’t liked anything past the big 3, you only enjoy a third of their output, a little more if you include BS in there. At that point, you can’t really call yourself a fan of the band anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    We should just stop bringing any of this up and instead talk about how many tour dates they go on every year (definitely more than those Pearl Jam lazy fucks), how great their play/performance aspect is, and ballwash the band. It is supposed to be fun and we are just supposed to eat up whatever they give us without any discussion or criticism of it until they retire.
    Or… you can just accept you aren’t really into them anymore and move on.
    I don’t go to band discussion groups that I’m not a huge fan of, because I don’t care enough to discuss them. If the only thing you have for them at this point is criticism, from set lists, to the bands sound, song quality, their recording process, etc., then why do you take the time? It’s a weird thing to spend your time on.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #21296
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    I don’t go to band discussion groups that I’m not a huge fan of, because I don’t care enough to discuss them. If the only thing you have for them at this point is criticism, from set lists, to the bands sound, song quality, their recording process, etc., then why do you take the time? It’s a weird thing to spend your time on.

But he’ll prolly interpret this as you not having any standards. And for just eating up whatever the band gives you. He’s very righteous about taking DMB real seriously and expecting greatness from them in the year 2022

Band is way more enjoyable these days when you take it for what it is. Now I await the criticism of me actually liking DMB.
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #21297
    mcgarrett41

My Tour Central Stats

I loved Big Whiskey (new version of the band) so I agree with the above I want to hear what they can do now that Buddy has been there 4+ years.
    mcgarrett41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #21298
    mcgarrett41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    I agree 100%. If you haven’t liked anything past the big 3, you only enjoy a third of their output, a little more if you include BS in there. At that point, you can’t really call yourself a fan of the band anymore.

Exactly why people like Zilla and crashintonick left these boards. Not bashing them at all but DMB doesn't do it for them anymore and that's ok. Life moves on.
    mcgarrett41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #21299
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcgarrett41 View Post
    Exactly why people like Zilla and crashintonick left these boards. Not bashing them at all but DMB doesn't do it for them anymore and that's ok. Life moves on.
    Exactly. It’s not that people are lowering their standards, it’s that people actually still enjoy DMB. Some people stick around here for years and then blame Dave for not entertaining them anymore, and they blame the people who like what they’re doing for enabling Dave. It’s insane. Like damn, I’m sorry your favorite band is disappointing you so much
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #21300
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post

You can do whatever you want, personally I value how they are playing and performing and have been happy to see how much they've improved since '18, I said so in response to a question that I was asked. I've been far from ball washing when it comes to their sets or studio output.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote