Dave on Politics - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #31
#41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave on Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post

No, he hasn't. He's vocally opposed leaders he disagrees with, but I don't know how anyone who literally asks to be taxed more could possibly be considered anti-establishment.
Also I guess this would be to spread his wealth because there are so many poor people and he doesn't need it. To me this is another example of him being disillusioned with the 'unfair' establishment.
And the end of the world."

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #32
    thehammer316
    What a Beautiful Buzz

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Dave is ok paying more takes cause he is rich. I believe that makes him fiscally liberal. He says something along those lines from Vegas '10.

Favorite Political Song by DMB for me has to be Don't Drink the Water.
    Follow us on Tour
    Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
    thehammer316
    What a Beautiful Buzz

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with Chad, he is totally anti-gov't. He sings about monkeys and ants, maybe a hierarchy but not a huge gov't that controls everything one can or can not do.
    Follow us on Tour
    Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #34
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehammer316 View Post
    I agree with Chad, he is totally anti-gov't. He sings about monkeys and ants, maybe a hierarchy but not a huge gov't that controls everything one can or can not do.

Thanks for your help - do you have any other instances aside from Vegas 10 where you get this impression?
    Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #35
    thehammer316
    What a Beautiful Buzz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    Thanks for your help - do you have any other instances aside from Vegas 10 where you get this impression?
    If you ever listen to the Vote for Change Tours...the one I was at in G'Ville, FL. He was vocal about John Kerry, but he was most vocal about just voting. DL the show and give it a listen.
    Follow us on Tour
    Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #36
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehammer316 View Post
    If you ever listen to the Vote for Change Tours...the one I was at in G'Ville, FL. He was vocal about John Kerry, but he was most vocal about just voting. DL the show and give it a listen.
    Excellent, thank you!
    Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #37
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes he has. "It seems everybody in charge should be put under gas. Everybody that's running things, pretend they on top of everything, but they don't know shit. I tell you they don't know know shit. None of them. All - they talk out of their poo-poo-poo-poo..."

And then he talks specifically about George Bush.
    "They" is not 1 person. Clearly he was extremely opposed to GB and what he stood for. But this is the sentiment I talk about.
    I can almost guarantee you that he was talking about Bush's administration in that quote. Nothing suggests that Dave is remotely anti-government; to the contrary, he openly supports political candidates, parties and ideals, and his brand of leftist politics inherently requires a pretty dominant governing force.

Last edited by DMBzilla; 11-27-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #38
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can almost guarantee you that he was talking about Bush's administration in that quote. Nothing suggests that Dave is remotely anti-government; to the contrary, he openly supports political candidates, parties and ideals, and his brand of leftist politics inherently requires a pretty dominant governing force.

Which is why I said that he sees the need for it.

I guess maybe instead of anti-government, I mean disillusionment with politicians and the establishment. Not that the country doesn't NEED the establishment, but the people IN the establishment he doesn't have great faith in.
    From what I can see.

Last edited by #41Tom; 11-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #39
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which is why I said that he sees the need for it.
    So he's anti-government, yet supports a political ideology that inherently requires huge government. Doesn't that suggest a bit more than "seeing the need for it"?
    Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #40
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So he's anti-government, yet supports a political ideology that inherently requires huge government. Doesn't that suggest a bit more than "seeing the need for it"?
    Thanks for your insightful input.

Have you got any examples from where your opinions come? That's really what I'm after.

I did concede about 5 minutes ago that I probably mean he's "disillusioned" with it, because of the people involved, and not necessarily "anti". Semantics bro.
    Old 11-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #41
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know we're bordering on dangerous territory here, but if you're extremely liberal you kind of have to support big government.

No, he hasn't. He's vocally opposed leaders he disagrees with, but I don't know how anyone who literally asks to be taxed more could possibly be considered anti-establishment.
    On point one, I'm not so sure about that. Big government seems to be a hallmark of progressives, and not all liberals, even those that are far left consider themselves progressive. I think you can count Tim Reynolds in this group. There was some interview where someone asked him about his participation in a D&T Obama benefit, and he said he liked Obama and the excitement he generated, but stopped short of saying he'd support him in an election. It was more of a 'we'll see' kind of thing. Tim is pretty anti-system. He's real big on Dennis Kucinich.

On the second, I agree completely.. and I don't think it's so much that Dave's views are conflicting in that regard, as much as they've changed over the years. I think he's become more concerned in getting a democratic candidate elected because he's realized the reality of politics. That's just supposition on my part though.
    Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #42
    dmband414

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr View Post
    On point one, I'm not so sure about that. Big government seems to be a hallmark of progressives, and not all liberals, even those that are far left consider themselves progressive. I think you can count Tim Reynolds in this group. There was some interview where someone asked him about his participation in a D&T Obama benefit, and he said he liked Obama and the excitement he generated, but stopped short of saying he'd support him in an election. It was more of a 'we'll see' kind of thing. Tim is pretty anti-system. He's real big on Dennis Kucinich.

On the second, I agree completely.. and I don't think it's so much that Dave's views are conflicting in that regard, as much as they've changed over the years. I think he's become more concerned in getting a democratic candidate elected because he's realized the reality of politics. That's just supposition on my part though.
    south african americans are generally keen on the democratic party, also
    Old 11-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #43
    CJynk

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave&Tim41 View Post
    Jimi Thing from LT2. See what your professor says to those lyrics
    Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #44
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I did concede about 5 minutes ago that I probably mean he's "disillusioned" with it, because of the people involved, and not necessarily "anti". Semantics bro.
    It's not semantics -- there's a major difference between being disenfranchised with the political system, and being anti-government or anti-establishment. He may be against imperialism or, to a lesser degree, capitalism, but at the most basic level his political leanings inherently support big government.

Quote:
    I certainly believe there to be a disparity between Dave's beliefs and the beliefs of those around him. Hell, there was talk back in 2004 that at least one band member is/was pretty conservative, but did the tour anyway because they weren't satisfied with Bush's presidency.

But, and again I'm trying to toe the line here carefully, most liberal ideals require heavy government involvement. I'm not saying all do, but generally you can't have the kind of political movements that most liberals support without considerable government involvement.

Quote:
    I agree for the most part, and don't think Dave has contradicted himself. Seems to me that he's always supported the idea of big government. You don't publicly support candidates like Kerry and Obama if you don't.
    Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #45
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's not semantics -- there's a major difference between being disenfranchised with the political system, and being anti-government or anti-establishment. He may be against imperialism or, to a lesser degree, capitalism, but at the most basic level his political leanings inherently support big government.

I certainly believe there to be a disparity between Dave's beliefs and the beliefs of those around him. Hell, there was talk back in 2004 that at least one band member is/was pretty conservative, but did the tour anyway because they weren't satisfied with Bush's presidency.

But, and again I'm trying to toe the line here carefully, most liberal ideals require heavy government involvement. I'm not saying all do, but generally you can't have the kind of political movements that most liberals support without considerable government involvement.

I agree for the most part, and don't think Dave has contradicted himself. Seems to me that he's always supported the idea of big government. You don't publicly support candidates like Kerry and Obama if you don't.
    Do you have any data to back up your arguments? Or are you just spouting your own thoughts?? If it's the former, I'd love to be enlightened on what Dave actually thinks. Thank you!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr;13142778
    On the second, I agree completely.. and I don't think it's so much that Dave's views are conflicting in that regard, as much as they've changed over the years. I think he's become more concerned in getting a democratic candidate elected [B
    because he's realized the reality of politics[/B]. That's just supposition on my part though.
    I totally agree with that, well said sir
    Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #46
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you have any data to back up your arguments? Or are you just spouting your own thoughts?? If it's the former, I'd love to be enlightened on what Dave actually thinks. Thank you!!
    Dave's on-stage rants about one thing or another don't remotely qualify as "data." However, it doesn't take a ton of common sense to realize that Dave's general beliefs require a great deal of government involvement to be successfully implemented.
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #47
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave's on-stage rants about one thing or another don't remotely qualify as "data." However, it doesn't take a ton of common sense to realize that Dave's general beliefs require a great deal of government involvement to be successfully implemented.

Right thanks for all your help
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #48
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right thanks for all your help
    You started a thread that would inherently lead to some kind of discussion regarding Dave's political beliefs, and then when I respond to your comments you condescendingly dismiss me. What's the point of posting in a forum if this is going to be your attitude?
    Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #49
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But, and again I'm trying to toe the line here carefully, most liberal ideals require heavy government resources and regulation. I'm not saying all do, but generally you can't have the kind of political movements that most liberals support without considerable government funding through increased taxation.
    Fixed.
    Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #50
    Rylan
    Omar Comin'!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Dave said he'd vote for Willie Nelson if he was running for president before Ain't It Funny on 8.24.2001

http://dmbstream.com/Concerts/Popup/...hitheatre?t=21
    Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #51
    TheMangoIsBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rylan View Post
    Dave said he'd vote for Willie Nelson if he was running for president before Ain't It Funny on 8.24.2001

Ahhh so he's an idiot.
    Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #52
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMangoIsBack View Post
    Ahhh so he's an idiot.
    Excellent post. Brought the serious 's

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #53
    CJynk

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He also said in that scat something to the effect of

"nah, left & right they all talk out their (insert long strain of poopity poopty poo sounds)"
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #54
    CJynk

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMangoIsBack View Post
    Ahhh so he's an idiot.
    I don't know, if it kept him busy enough to never inflict another WillyDigger on us it might not be all bad
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You started a thread that would inherently lead to some kind of discussion regarding Dave's political beliefs, and then when I respond to your comments you condescendingly dismiss me. What's the point of posting in a forum if this is going to be your attitude?

Sorry if you got offended, I just didn't want to carry on a conversation where you were just going to force your opinion of Dave's beliefs without backing it up. That's kind of the reason I started this thread - to gain DaveSpeak soundbites/quotes for my research. Not to engage in debate without 'sources' or 'data' (i.e. links to where he said it). Thanks though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rylan View Post

Awesome, thank you sir! These are all really helpful, I appreciate it loads

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJynk View Post
    He also said in that scat something to the effect of

"nah, left & right they all talk out their (insert long strain of poopity poopty poo sounds)"
    YESSSSSS! I could never figure out what he said there, it's too fast for me to catch, brilliant! Thank you so much.
    Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #56
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sorry if you got offended, I just didn't want to carry on a conversation where you were just going to force your opinion of Dave's beliefs without backing it up. That's kind of the reason I started this thread - to gain DaveSpeak soundbites/quotes for my research. Not to engage in debate without 'sources' or 'data' (i.e. links to where he said it). Thanks though.
    DMBZilla by saying that - i'm open to discussion with you, as long as you meet me halfway and provide evidence.

We could both say the complete opposite for eternity; however without sources and evidence to back our arguments up, neither of us is proven to be right.

Not trying to be adversarial, I respect your views, however they're useless in this context as it stands!! If you provide links etc., THEN your arguments take on authoritativeness, and are super-useful. Hope that makes sense!
    Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
    CJynk

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

YESSSSSS! I could never figure out what he said there, it's too fast for me to catch, brilliant! Thank you so much.

That's one of my two favorite Jimi's I listen to it a lot
    Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #58
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJynk View Post
    That's one of my two favorite Jimi's I listen to it a lot
    Same - Roi is insane, and Dave (guitar 10:30 ish onwards) is amazing!! And I love it how the crowd goes wild when he's doing the scatting too
    Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #59
    Rylan
    Omar Comin'!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Paraphrasing here....
    5.15.1998 between Last Stop and Halloween.
    "Maybe if all the politicians would get together and relax and listen to a little music the world wouldn't be so fucked up....."

http://dmbstream.com/Concerts/Popup/...hitheatre?t=15
    Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #60
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'd also say Dave is pretty cognizant of his location before he really gets into his political views. Thats not an absolute, but he's not likely to say the things he said in that scat if he's playing a show in the south, as he is in san fran or nyc. In 2003 in Boone he kept the talk about everyone wanting a peaceful world no matter what they believe.
    Closed Thread

Tags
    davespeak , environment , politics , research project , war