Parenting Thread - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #421
Ascf33
Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Parenting Thread

I regularly think my son is going to be a professional athlete and I'm trying my best to not turn into Mickey Mantle's Dad or Earl Woods. Also, he's 4.
Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #422
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Oh man, that's adorable.

My daughter will still try to sneak in a nose bite while I'm holding her every now and then. It used to absolutely crack me up when she was a little baby and tried to do it. It's so funny to me that she still remembers that it was a thing. Except now, when she does land a good one, it fucking hurts because she's got a mouth full of sharp ass baby teeth
    That makes me think of a thing ours was doing at like, I dunno, just prior to 12 months, before she was really saying words. While laying on the changing table making sounds, she would sometimes sing/chant this phrase that was like "gong gong gong gong... AHHH!" over and over. And I would start doing it with her. We always tried to get out of her what it was or where she got it, but never could.

Now of course at 2.5, she can say words and if she sings sometimes it'll be real songs she's learned in school or wherever. But occasionally I'll just start going "gong gong gong..." and she'll smile like "I know that!" and start doing it with me again. But she still can't tell us what it is
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #423
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    I regularly think my son is going to be a professional athlete and I'm trying my best to not turn into Mickey Mantle's Dad or Earl Woods. Also, he's 4.
    Whether it's professional athlete or some other huge money-maker, sure would be nice to someday have your kid buy a house for you

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #424
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

My 2 year old “helped” me put my 1 year old’s birthday present together. As soon as I came in the house with a screwdriver he got his whole tool set and handed me the parts I needed. Blew me away.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #425
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Just had our 2 year appt. He is 99.5% for height at 3 ft 2in, and the doctor said he is very advanced developmentally. He asked if either of us were kid geniuses. So thats my humble brag contribution for the brag about your kids thread.

To my point before tho, 6 months ago he only knew "mama, dada" and a couple other words and seemed way behind. Definitely seen a reversal and now we feel dumb for even being worried about it at the time. I was reading articles and listening to podcasts on toddler development lol. Now it's like night and day.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #426
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I saw the first four movies while I was in college because I girl I was dating was into them and i liked seeing her naked
    Fixed that for ya
    Old 01-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #427
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else beaming talking to their daughters today? My girl is only 4 but seeing her reaction to my wife tell her a girl will be VP was awesome.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #428
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone else beaming talking to their daughters today? My girl is only 4 but seeing her reaction to my wife tell her a girl will be VP was awesome.
    I've been hyping it up to my six year old, and while I don't think the moment has truly set in with her, I've made it clear this is a big deal for her and her sister going forward.

If they didn't show it to her while she was in school today, I plan to show her Harris being sworn in later tonight.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #429
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My girl is still very young and won't understand the significance of this event for some time- but I did feel an extra bit of pride and hope in my heart as I held her and read to her this morning after breakfast.
    Old 01-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #430
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

My girls (8.5 & 5.5) are very excited. The older one was disappointed 4 years ago. She wants to be POTUS, but I am pushing her towards medicine.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #431
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

We talked about Kamala with my 2 year old this morning. She didn't comprehend it at all, yet insisted on calling both my parents and my wife's mom on the way to daycare to tell them "Kamala is Vice President. There is a girl in the White House." She ran up to our daycare provider and told her the same thing the moment we got there. It was definitely a proud dad moment, even with the lack of understanding of what she was saying.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #432
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

As a parent your children will ways amaze you. Young or old.
    My daughter sent me a pic of a painting she did..I looked at it for 20 minutes and asked..did you really paint that?
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 933C999A-FE97-4FEA-8F64-F61C904E2EF9.jpg (73.0 KB, 20 views)
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #433
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    I don't have a great grasp what is typical for a toddler's development. When we went in for my daughter's 18 month check up, my wife and I were handed a slip of paper that said toddlers should know about 5-10 words at that age. We counted 100 words my daughter knew by the time we saw the doctor and she was stringing 5-8 words together.

She has mesmerized a few of her favorite books recently. As part of bedtime stalling earlier this week, she told me that she needed to read my parents a bed time story so that they could go to sleep. We hopped on Zoom and she read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? to them verbatim.
    The only anecdotal development trend I can see is that girls tend to learn speaking more quickly than boys and boys tend to develop motor skills more quickly than girls.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #434
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Wife and I have looked up a thousand links to make sure we have all the necessary shit when traveling with a kid. Our son will be almost 2 when we fly to Orlando in July (Disney!). Any tips on air travel with a kid for the first time and must-haves and shit we won't need so we don't over pack?

EDIT: We do plan on taking advantage of have groceries sent to the room for when we arrive. That will be huge on stuff like water, diapers, toiletries, snacks, etc. I'm mainly talking for air travel itself for the most part. But stuff to have there for 5 days is also helpful.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-

Last edited by Roose13; 01-21-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #435
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

We only flew with our first daughter once and she was only like 4 months old. It was just about keeping her from crying and she did great. Of course, she was still on the boob so that helped a lot. Other than that I think we just kept her distracted with like a noisy little toy and her wubby and it went well. Not sure what necessities for a 2 year old other than toys and probably coloring crap. If it were me I'd probably also have the tablet ready with many episodes of her shows downloaded, and be teaching her how to get comfortable with headphones ahead of time.

Also wearing a mask if you haven't already started that. Our girl is 2.5 and it's been a process getting her to wear one. She's decently good with it now.

Kinda sucks to have to have taken all this time off from traveling with her, and now our new 4 month old, because they won't be as used to it. Same with dining out and whatnot.

Last edited by GSUdawg521; 01-21-2021 at 07:39 AM.
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #436
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Wife and I have looked up a thousand links to make sure we have all the necessary shit when traveling with a kid. Our son will be almost 2 when we fly to Orlando in July (Disney!). Any tips on air travel with a kid for the first time and must-haves and shit we won't need so we don't over pack?

EDIT: We do plan on taking advantage of have groceries sent to the room for when we arrive. That will be huge on stuff like water, diapers, toiletries, snacks, etc. I'm mainly talking for air travel itself for the most part. But stuff to have there for 5 days is also helpful.

Disclosure - Our trip last year got cancelled before we could try it out BUT you can get seatbelts for airplanes that will function just like the 5 point harness in a car seat. When we first flew with our toddler we found it difficult to keep him in his seat for takeoff and landing. This device was recommended from a friend and we were eager to give it a shot anyway.

I reckon it was this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Child-Airplane.../dp/B0012E4FV8

Last edited by swordo84; 01-21-2021 at 07:46 AM.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #437
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Book a flight time that coincides with your son's nap time. We flew with our son when he was 11 months old. The flight out was perfect. Gave him a bottle right after we got on the plane and he slept the entire 2 hour flight. The flight back was pretty terrible because he didn't want to sleep at all and basically cried the whole time. No idea what the difference was because the flight times were similar I think.

For a 2-year old, yeah, probably need a tablet handy if they aren't sleeping. Save a new toy they haven't seen before and give it to them once they get on the plane. Have snacks ready when needed. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #438
    swordo84
    . .

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Oh, post-it notes. Buy a pack and just let kiddo go gangbusters sticking them everywhere - ours loved this. Easy to clean up afterwards too.
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #439
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

@Roose

Benadryl

Seriously though at this age it's all about occupying them and getting a nap in. Make sure they're filled up before getting on the flight or immediately after. Plenty of snacks on deck. Pacifier and entertainment from there on out. Hopefully no issues with ears popping but I think there's headphones or ear muff type things that can combat that.
    Old 01-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #440
    swordo84
    . .

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    @Roose

Benadryl

Seriously though at this age it's all about occupying them and getting a nap in. Make sure they're filled up before getting on the flight or immediately after. Plenty of snacks on deck. Pacifier and entertainment from there on out. Hopefully no issues with ears popping but I think there's headphones or ear muff type things that can combat that.
    Suggestion - give the kiddo a lollipop. This will force them to swallow often, and hopefully keep the ears feeling ok.
    Old 01-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #441
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    Oh, post-it notes. Buy a pack and just let kiddo go gangbusters sticking them everywhere - ours loved this. Easy to clean up afterwards too.
    I love ideas like that. Kids will find enjoyment in the simplest things. It's really easy to over-complicate or over-think entertaining kids.
    Old 01-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #442
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of really neat ideas here. Thanks guys.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #443
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

My son turned 8 months a week or so ago () and we're in the heat of teething, what did some of yal do to ease the teething pain? we're freezing his soft plastic teethers and giving him frozen waffles which he likes, but the night times can be tough
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #444
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    My son turned 8 months a week or so ago () and we're in the heat of teething, what did some of yal do to ease the teething pain? we're freezing his soft plastic teethers and giving him frozen waffles which he likes, but the night times can be tough
    I remember some of this but overall don't remember it being a huge deal. Another thing my wife read about and we did was keep a wet washcloth in a ziplock back in the freezer.

For nighttime, isn't that what pacifiers help with too?
    Old 01-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #445
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We didn't have many night time troubles. If it's really bad, have you tried baby Tylenol?
    Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #446
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    I remember some of this but overall don't remember it being a huge deal. Another thing my wife read about and we did was keep a wet washcloth in a ziplock back in the freezer.

For nighttime, isn't that what pacifiers help with too?
    My son dumped the pacifier at 1 month and opted for the thumb. #braceslife

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    We didn't have many night time troubles. If it's really bad, have you tried baby Tylenol?
    We have, we don't love medicating him a lot if we absolutely don't have to, but we've definitely used this. And it's not every night, just sometimes you can tell his teeth are bothering him and it's sad to know he's in pain. Maybe I'm just a baby myself and should stop worrying every time he cries lol
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #447
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Baby Tylenol or Baby Motrin should help at night. You're not "medicating" him, he's in pain and you're helping to alleviate that pain. And giving him a recommended dose of something like Tylenol or Motrin isn't going to cause him any adverse side effects.
    Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #448
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Flying at 6 months was a breeze. We put my daughter the boob during takeoff and descent, and she slept most of the other time.

Flying at 18 months was a whole different animal. Bring all the snacks and activities you can think of, as well as a tablet stocked with his/her favorite shows. 3 out of our 4 flight legs went fine, although it was like work the whole time. The fourth was tough and we felt like "those parents" embarrassed by their screaming toddler. My empathy towards babies and toddlers struggling on a flight has grown immensely over the past couple of years.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #449
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    Flying at 6 months was a breeze. We put my daughter the boob during takeoff and descent, and she slept most of the other time.

Flying at 18 months was a whole different animal. Bring all the snacks and activities you can think of, as well as a tablet stocked with his/her favorite shows. 3 out of our 4 flight legs went fine, although it was like work the whole time. The fourth was tough and we felt like "those parents" embarrassed by their screaming toddler. My empathy towards babies and toddlers struggling on a flight has grown immensely over the past couple of years.
    6 months to about 10 months is the "goldilocks" age for children I think in terms of ease of parenting. They don't move around too much so they don't get into trouble easily and they finally have a good sleep schedule. It's like the calm before the storm.
    Old 01-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #450
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My son dumped the pacifier at 1 month and opted for the thumb. #braceslife

We have, we don't love medicating him a lot if we absolutely don't have to, but we've definitely used this. And it's not every night, just sometimes you can tell his teeth are bothering him and it's sad to know he's in pain. Maybe I'm just a baby myself and should stop worrying every time he cries lol
    I think we must have just been good about letting our son cry it out. After he started sleeping through the night at around 5 or 6 months I can think of only about 1 or 2 times that we ever got up with our son during the night, who is now 2 years old. Hard to compare though since I don't know how much your child is crying at night. Unless our son was just completely hysterical where it really seemed like something was wrong, we would always just let him cry it out.