** Official Teachers Thread ** - Page 21 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #601
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** Official Teachers Thread **

- Son's school went from full virtual to fully in-person for K-2 two weeks ago, 3-12 on 11/4
- My school is hybrid, but our school of 950 kids has over 1400 D/F reports sent home 2 weeks ago...so what we're doing is changing the format. M/T kids weren't doing anything other than asynch on W-T-F, and T/F kids were doing asynch from M-W. It made planning hell, and gave the kids an excuse that they couldn't get help. So no, if you're in school M/T, you have to attend live on WebEx on T/F. If you're in school T/F, you have to attend live on M/T.

It'll make planning a hell of a lot easier on our part, but in my post-obs meeting with my principal last week he basically said that every school doing that isn't seeing any success either, but fuck it we gotta try something new.

I have 117 students and 68 of them have a D or F

It was funny though, my one class Friday was bitching about the change, like "ugh do we really have to log in every day now AND have school work? this sucks"....this is a class of 28, 21 with D's or F's...in not so many words I told them this is THEIR fault...they had this golden opportunity to have 3 school days "off" and they blew it by not doing a damn thing

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #602
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Our district is primarily doing in-person learning under a hybrid schedule. Group A attends M/W (every other Friday) and Group B attends T/Th (every other Friday). The brutal part is that the district caved last minute and allowed parents to either send their kids in-person or Zoom into their classes instead. So every period I have students in class and anywhere from 1-8 students Zooming into the class at the same time. Trying to teach both in-person learners and remote learners simultaneously during a period is an impossible task. We've only been open for a month, but our entire middle school staff is already burnt out.
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2020, 05:15 AM   #603
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Yup we’re in the same boat. My class has basically just become straight lecture which sucks
    Old 10-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #604
    Mikeap

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Hello fellow teachers. I don't post much on here and somehow have never noticed this teacher thread until today. I am full time virtual, my wife is full time in person, and my kids are hybrid. I feel myself starting to struggle physically and mentally from sitting and staring at a computer all day. Anyone else that is full time virtual, how are you handling everything?
    Mikeap is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #605
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20 View Post
    So in my area (Southeast PA) the trend right now is to increase in person attendance for schools who are hybrid and for schools that are fully virtual to begin the process of transitioning to hybrid. The district I teach in is planning to return from full virtual on January 4th and the district I live in where my daughter attends is planning to return in November. This feels completely backwards to me. if September wasn't safe enough, the winter months will be better? My son goes to a private school and they have the complete opposite approach. They began 2 weeks early in August in hybrid mode and have a one month break in December and January planned with the understanding that they may go full virtual in January until the spring. This makes much more sense to me than what public schools are doing. What is happening where you all live?
    we started the first 3 weeks full remote for everybody. in october we started hybrid (2 in person days, 3 remote) for PK-4 & grade 9, as well as the sub separate special ed classrooms. grades 5-8 and 10-12 were supposed to start in a week, but due to increasing covid numbers in the town, that is being postponed for a later time (TBD).
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #606
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Tomorrow will be my first day in the building since March 9th. Feels so weird to be going back. We are teaching virtually from our buildings until the students return on 2/1. Less than half of the students are returning and I hear those numbers are decreasing now that parents are finding out what it will look like in the building.
    Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #607
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

you guys will be closed in 2 weeks....at least thats whats happening to all the schools opening in berks
    Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #608
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Tomorrow will be my first day in the building since March 9th. Feels so weird to be going back. We are teaching virtually from our buildings until the students return on 2/1. Less than half of the students are returning and I hear those numbers are decreasing now that parents are finding out what it will look like in the building.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    you guys will be closed in 2 weeks....at least thats whats happening to all the schools opening in berks
    Our schools opened to in person learning in September. They have not been closed at any point. Keep in mind this is Florida where the state motto has been changed to "Are people really altering their lives over this?"

Kids who are exposed to or contract COVID self report to the health department who advises they stay at home for 10-14 days. There is no contact tracing. Teachers and peers who have come into contact with infectious students are not notified. Only the extended absence gives it away. There is no way for parents with kids in school to know how many are currently infected or have been.

That said the school system mandates masks for students at all times except lunch. My understanding is that post Christmas has seen a goodly number of absences for an extended period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #609
    BAHHHTIWaC

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Next week we're starting our phase-in of two grades for two days, one day of full virtual learning, then the other two grades to finish the week. Was strange to be part of the meetings about it because at this point it feels like almost everyone involved in education is so burned out and drained that they don't care to put up a stink or anything. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    BAHHHTIWaC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #610
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    There is a part of me that thinks the school board will balk at the 2/1 start and postpone it a few weeks. Especially now that people are realizing what hybrid learning really is.
    Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #611
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Any of y'all received any bonuses of any kind throughout all this? Kemp just announced that all GA teachers and educational staff will be getting a one time $1k bonus in February.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #612
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

bonuses

the public already hates us enough, cant imagine getting a bonus

I did just sign up for the vaccine though
    Old 01-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #613
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Any of y'all received any bonuses of any kind throughout all this? Kemp just announced that all GA teachers and educational staff will be getting a one time $1k bonus in February.
    Too many people think we are overpaid for that to happen.
    Old 01-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #614
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Well we are getting one. Teachers aren't eligible for the vaccine here yet but should be soon.
    Old 01-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #615
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

For you teachers, thanks. If you’ve heard this well, thanks for let me post it for others.

An old man meets a young man who asks:

“Do you remember me?”

And the old man says no. Then the young man tells him he was his student, And the teacher asks:

“What do you do, what do you do in life?”

The young man answers:

“Well, I became a teacher.”

“ah, how good, like me?” Asks the old man.

“Well, yes. In fact, I became a teacher because you inspired me to be like you.”

The old man, curious, asks the young man at what time he decided to become a teacher. And the young man tells him the following story:

“One day, a friend of mine, also a student, came in with a nice new watch, and I decided I wanted it.
    I stole it, I took it out of his pocket.

Shortly after, my friend noticed the his watch was missing and immediately complained to our teacher, who was you.

Then you addressed the class saying, ‘This student's watch was stolen during classes today. Whoever stole it, please return it.’

I didn't give it back because I didn't want to.

You closed the door and told us all to stand up and form a circle.
    You were going to search our pockets one by one until the watch was found.
    However, you told us to close our eyes, because you would only look for his watch if we all had our eyes closed.

We did as instructed.
    You went from pocket to pocket, and when you went through my pocket, you found the watch and took it. You kept searching everyone's pockets, and when you were done you said ‘open your eyes. We have the watch.’

You didn't tell on me and you never mentioned the episode. You never said who stole the watch either. That day you saved my dignity forever. It was the most shameful day of my life.

But this is also the day I decided not to become a thief, a bad person, etc. You never said anything, nor did you even scold me or take me aside to give me a moral lesson.

I received your message clearly.
    Thanks to you, I understood what a real educator needs to do.

Do you remember this episode, professor?

The old professor answered, ‘Yes, I remember the situation with the stolen watch, which I was looking for in everyone’s pocket. I didn't remember you, because I also closed my eyes while looking.’

This is the essence of teaching:
    If to correct you must humiliate; you don't know how to teach "

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #616
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

finally my district is offering the vaccine next week for related service providers (OT, PTs, SLPs), as we qualify for the phase 1 rollout. i feel guilty that the sub separate/PK teachers that have been working in-person just as much as we have, don't qualify for phase 1 too
    Old 01-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #617
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    finally my district is offering the vaccine next week for related service providers (OT, PTs, SLPs), as we qualify for the phase 1 rollout. i feel guilty that the sub separate/PK teachers that have been working in-person just as much as we have, don't qualify for phase 1 too
    With such a push to get schools reopened, and the data that claims to show that transmission is low in elementary schools, it would make sense to get all elementary education workers vaccinated. That would allow a more aggressive reopening.
    Old 01-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #618
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Our district gave a 1k bonus in the fall to teachers as compensation for us teaching students in the classroom and on Zoom concurrently.

Quote:
    finally my district is offering the vaccine next week for related service providers (OT, PTs, SLPs), as we qualify for the phase 1 rollout.
    Our district is offering a vaccination clinic next week for staff members 65 and older along with staff who work with students unable to wear masks. There is supposedly another clinic happening in a month for all K-12 staff, and I’m hoping to get the first vaccine shot then. Our district (about 11,000 students) has been doing in-person learning since September.
    Old 01-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #619
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mickey Carson View Post
    Our district gave a 1k bonus in the fall to teachers as compensation for us teaching students in the classroom and on Zoom concurrently.

Our district is offering a vaccination clinic next week for staff members 65 and older along with staff who work with students unable to wear masks. There is supposedly another clinic happening in a month for all K-12 staff, and I’m hoping to get the first vaccine shot then. Our district (about 11,000 students) has been doing in-person learning since September.
    Full in person or hybrid?
    Old 01-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #620
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Full in person or hybrid?
    Elementary is doing full in-person learning 5 days a week.
    We couldn’t follow that model at the middle schools or high schools and maintain 6 feet of separation in classrooms, so we’re doing a hybrid model (in-person learning 2 days a week - M/W or Tu/Th with everyone Zooming in on Fridays). For the first couple months of the school year we were doing in-person learning on Fridays by alternating the groups each week, but it was a bit of a cluster. Switched to Zoom Fridays in December.
    Old 01-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #621
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yeah we've done hybrid since day 1 and only had to close once for 2 days
    Old 01-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #622
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With such a push to get schools reopened, and the data that claims to show that transmission is low in elementary schools, it would make sense to get all elementary education workers vaccinated. That would allow a more aggressive reopening.

Quote:

time for me to switch districts
    Quote:
    Elementary is doing full in-person learning 5 days a week.
    We couldn’t follow that model at the middle schools or high schools and maintain 6 feet of separation in classrooms, so we’re doing a hybrid model (in-person learning 2 days a week - M/W or Tu/Th with everyone Zooming in on Fridays). For the first couple months of the school year we were doing in-person learning on Fridays by alternating the groups each week, but it was a bit of a cluster. Switched to Zoom Fridays in December.

wow. for gen ed, we have a hybrid model for K-4 but they've only been in school for a total of 8 days because of all the cases/teachers having to quarantine

hybrid grades 5-8 probably in-person 2 days so far. and i don't think HS has actually started their hybrid model yet. it's just a terrible situation..

for the record, i work in a town w/ one of the highest COVID cases in MA
    Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #623
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm in my building. It's 58 degrees inside and the fan is blowing constantly so there is a wind chill in here probably around 50-52. Fun times.
    Old 01-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #624
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm in my building. It's 58 degrees inside and the fan is blowing constantly so there is a wind chill in here probably around 50-52. Fun times.
    How is that possible?
    Old 01-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #625
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that sucks dude. When I taught at Reading I had a lot of days like that. We'd be wearing our winter coats in class.
    Old 09-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #626
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

how's everyone holding up?
    Old 09-08-2021, 04:47 AM   #627
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    how's everyone holding up?
    It still feels like summer. We had school on 8/30, 8/31 and 9/1. School was closed on 9/2 because of Ida flooding. We then had a 4 day weekend for Labor Day and then yesterday and today school is closed for Rosh Hashanah. Tomorrow will feel like the first day again. Aside from that everything is good. Everyone wears a mask with no issue.
    Old 09-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #628
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

My room just started being renovated so I'm on a cart the next 6 weeks...not terrible but my feet are killing me, and I have all the behavior kids, so obviously they do well with change
    Old 09-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #629
    iammine

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Los Angeles Board of Ed is going to be discussing whether to make vaccines mandatory for ages 12 and up. It'll be interesting to see if that passes, and the impact it would have on places across the country.

I'm lucky in my district (in Southeaster MA). Our numbers are good, kids (begrudgingly) wear masks and most of the school population is fully vaccinated. This year is a welcomed return to near-normalcy, considering we don't have to worry about cohorts or zooms, and there are minimal distancing requirements.

That being said, I've been teaching for 15 years now and every year I forget just how exhausting the first few weeks are and how long it takes to retrain my body for the physical and mental demands of the job.
    iammine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #630
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

^ not to mention that most kids havent had a normal 5 day school week since March '20, and most schools have had to be very flexible in grading. It's gonna be a world of shit this year