Boyd: Extremely High Energy Player in His Prime - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-23-2021, 05:38 AM   #1
Captainnumber36

Shows Seen: 0

Boyd: Extremely High Energy Player in His Prime

I say from the start of the band to about 2000, he sounded great. Nobody riles up a crowd as much with a violin I feel, and it's in the music too, not just his stage presence, I firmly believe that.
Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #2
    Captainnumber36

Re: Boyd: Extremely High Energy Player in His Prime

Give the man some love, he's given us so much inspiration.
    Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
    Twostep542

Most inspired Boyd i ever saw was at Shoreline 2015. i think someone tweeted him about why he doesn't wear his fishnet shirt anymore. so what does boyd tinsley do? he brought it during the stjl encore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFnZaKKL0c
    Twostep542 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #4
    HonestDenver1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 View Post
    I say from the start of the band to about 2000, he sounded great. Nobody riles up a crowd as much with a violin I feel, and it's in the music too, not just his stage presence, I firmly believe that.
    Til 2000? I think til at least 2007.. Post ROI I think he just wanted out. I think Roi was his muse/inspiration/they played off each other... I don't think Jeff and Rashawn ever meshed with Boyd. Boyd just became kind of the token fiddle player.. Getting 2-3 solos a night but not really doing the fills and atmospheric stuff he used to do...

I will agree that Everyday sort of changed his role in the band. I don't think Glen Ballard knew what to do with him because it's so unique. You can't really write a Boyd fiddle line. You certainly CAN write a rock n roll sax line which is what happened.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
    HonestDenver1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twostep542 View Post
    Most inspired Boyd i ever saw was at Shoreline 2015. i think someone tweeted him about why he doesn't wear his fishnet shirt anymore. so what does boyd tinsley do? he brought it during the stjl encore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFnZaKKL0c
    For me it was the Gorge 2016... His last Ants performance there on Sunday night. It's like he knew.. I just thought they were giving it everything because of the break coming up... But I think HE knew that he was likely not coming back..
    Old 03-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 51

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Til 2000? I think til at least 2007.. Post ROI I think he just wanted out. I think Roi was his muse/inspiration/they played off each other... I don't think Jeff and Rashawn ever meshed with Boyd. Boyd just became kind of the token fiddle player.. Getting 2-3 solos a night but not really doing the fills and atmospheric stuff he used to do...

I will agree that Everyday sort of changed his role in the band. I don't think Glen Ballard knew what to do with him because it's so unique. You can't really write a Boyd fiddle line. You certainly CAN write a rock n roll sax line which is what happened.
    You CAN write those lines. Problem was Boyd wasnít much of a music reader and didnít have that skill set. Lilly white said that getting Boyd to do something over in studio the same way was basically impossible so he would work with him more so than the others to get the best out of him. On everyday they just wanted them to come in, play their parts and leave. So Boyd was the odd man out and didnít get much to do.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 43

https://youtu.be/R1lOSvfqmoc

gorge 2006 LIOG

42:45. Most energetic performance by him that I’ve seen. The energy he was capable of bringing to the show and audience was just amazing. He got the entire crowd and Carter going
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 15

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    https://youtu.be/R1lOSvfqmoc

gorge 2006 LIOG

42:45. Most energetic performance by him that Iíve seen. The energy he was capable of bringing to the show and audience was just amazing. He got the entire crowd and Carter going
    Underrated show in this bands history. Good overall set, and dmb still had all the original members in tact. Sure the DT has flubs, but Carter goes nuts on it. I may spin this one today.
    Old 03-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
    Bmwm3oz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Underrated show in this bands history. Good overall set, and dmb still had all the original members in tact. Sure the DT has flubs, but Carter goes nuts on it. I may spin this one today.
    Yeah man, agreed. The setlist is historic too.

Iíll never forget that weekend. My friends and I graduated that year and had 4 seats in Section C Row 17 for this night. Hell of a time. When Last Stop hit, the venue lost it.
    Old 03-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 9

Boyd prancercising on stage all while playing out of tune, or playing essentially the same solo really means nothing for me. He could have hired a notable violin instructor while he was in the band to improve but never did. I don't miss him.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
    Bmwm3oz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Boyd prancercising on stage all while playing out of tune, or playing essentially the same solo really means nothing for me. He could have hired a notable violin instructor while he was in the band to improve but never did. I don't miss him.
    Nobody said he plays in tune or is good, we’re talking about his energy
    Old 03-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
    Twostep542

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    For live music, what you see is more important than what you hear:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...what-you-hear/

has the crowd ever gone bonkers during a buddy strong solo? they sure did when boyd would run around stage. tapes might not sound good, but in those moments he more than delivered.
    Twostep542 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #13
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Quote:

has the crowd ever gone bonkers during a buddy strong solo? they sure did when boyd would run around stage. tapes might not sound good, but in those moments he more than delivered.
    More people would flip out hearing a full length Blue Water with a Boyd solo. The reaction would be noticeable at the show AND create ripples throughout the communities afterwards, so no.
    Old 03-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #14
    HonestDenver1

Quote:

Honestly, the crowd loves it when he sings right? Like the stuff he does on Everyday or Superstition gets people worked up.

But I get your point. With Dave as a very laid back front man other than a few dance moves now and again, Boyd kind of took that role to get the crowd fired up.. Dave was never going to be Bono or Mick Jagger and I argue when those 2 just stand at the mic and sing it's pretty boring...

So ya, Buddy can't get up physically and jack the crowd up, but he gets a rise from time to time for a key player.
    Old 03-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #15
    HonestDenver1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    You CAN write those lines. Problem was Boyd wasnít much of a music reader and didnít have that skill set. Lilly white said that getting Boyd to do something over in studio the same way was basically impossible so he would work with him more so than the others to get the best out of him. On everyday they just wanted them to come in, play their parts and leave. So Boyd was the odd man out and didnít get much to do.
    yes. one could write fiddle lines in musical notation for Boyd to play had he been able to, but my point is that his lines were off the cuff, emotional, raw mistake ridden and all of that is what made Boyd Boyd. He just played straight from the heart... I wouldn't want someone to come in with lines for him to play.. I can't believe Roi agreed to it, but they were at the cusp of being enormous and getting the album out was a smart move, so I think he saw that.

Lillywhite just recorded everything Boyd did and took the best bits of it, edited it in to the final mixes and that was that.
    Old 03-30-2021, 06:11 PM   #16
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 73

Rashawn stepped on many toes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Boyd felt insignificant. Although I’d place that blame towards the frontman more than the trumpet player
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #17
    Nick11dx
    NYC Bound

Shows Seen: 83
    Send a message via AIM to Nick11dx Send a message via Yahoo to Nick11dx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Rashawn stepped on many toes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Boyd felt insignificant. Although I’d place that blame towards the frontman more than the trumpet player
    elaborate, please!
    Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #18
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

Anyone willing to say that Boyd didn't bring it and provide a peak to a show at some point is either simply ignorant or a liar. It's a sad story what happened to Boyd. That said, he did decline and what happened was perfectly justified.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 11:00 PM   #19
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Forever

Shows Seen: 71

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Quote:
    Yeah man, agreed. The setlist is historic too.

Iíll never forget that weekend. My friends and I graduated that year and had 4 seats in Section C Row 17 for this night. Hell of a time. When Last Stop hit, the venue lost it.
    One of my favorites in all the shows I've been to

This stretch:

Lie in Our Graves
    JTR
    Crush
    The Dreaming Tree
    The Last Stop
    Digging a Ditch

coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 11:01 PM   #20
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Forever

Boyd's solos on LIOG / Nancies are the sound of summer to me

For the reasons he left or was dismissed, though, I hope he stays gone
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 61
    Send a message via AIM to dancheatham

Quote:
    Nobody said he plays in tune or is good, weíre talking about his energy
    The original post says
    Quote:
    I say from the start of the band to about 2000, he sounded great.
    Old 03-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #22
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 27

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    Anyone willing to say that Boyd didn't bring it and provide a peak to a show at some point is either simply ignorant or a liar. It's a sad story what happened to Boyd. That said, he did decline and what happened was perfectly justified.
    I think there is a lot of retroactive Boyd criticism now that he's gone.

He wasn't some violin virtuoso but he was a huge part of what made DMB DMB, particularly for more casual fans.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #23
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 13

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I think there is a lot of retroactive Boyd criticism now that he's gone.

He wasn't some violin virtuoso but he was a huge part of what made DMB DMB, particularly for more casual fans.
    It's because people seem to think that any violin player could step in and take over with no issue--like the violin/fiddle is some throwaway instrument that doesn't take an incredible amount of focus and dexterity to play well, especially at the speed of solos such as Dancing Nancies or LIOG.

Was Boyd ready to be first chair in the Boston Philharmonic? No. But did he have a masterful feel for DMB songs that only comes with decades of professional work? Yes.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #24
    HonestDenver1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    It's because people seem to think that any violin player could step in and take over with no issue--like the violin/fiddle is some throwaway instrument that doesn't take an incredible amount of focus and dexterity to play well, especially at the speed of solos such as Dancing Nancies or LIOG.

Was Boyd ready to be first chair in the Boston Philharmonic? No. But did he have a masterful feel for DMB songs that only comes with decades of professional work? Yes.
    You nailed it. I do think a pro violin/fiddle player could come in and blow us all away still but they will not be able to replicate Boyd though just due to his unique style. Boyd was all heart. It's like trying to replicate Jimi Hendrix, who by the way played a ton of bad off notes out of tune stuff in his solos and is widely regarded as one of the best if not the best guitarist of all time...
    Old 03-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #25
    HonestDenver1

I'd still love to get into Boyd's head/mindset sometime. If he would ever give an honest answer about what happened around 2008 it seems. Tim joining, Butch leaving and obviously Roi's death. Did he just want out for a decade? Were drugs a bigger part of it? Was the elbow a problem pre-surgery and post surgery? Did he just get bored with it? Why was he not contributing to albums/songs in the 2000's and beyond like he did before? Did Dave exclude him for various reasons? Or was Boyd not showing up?

I mean it still blows me away that he would just be muted entire shows or only turned on during solos like LIOG and Ants. Even his solo in Belly Belly would just get turned off completely... Whose idea was that? It was very intentional and lasted from 2012 until he left the band.

If he showed up fucked up or didn't come to rehearsal did they just agree to mute him all night? I have to believe he knew this... Or if he was too fucked up to notice, that could be the problem in itself.

I always noticed Gorge night 3 he would be on fire. It seemed the set featured him intentionally for years on night 3.. Like it took him 2 days to sober up and then Dave was like hey would you like to play tonight? Night 1 and 2 you could see him with his head down in the shadows just zoned out. And then would come out for a quick solo like a wind up doll, only to retreat back to his corner.. Very strange. It really started in 2011 that I noticed that

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 03-31-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Old 03-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #26
    ColorsMxTogeth

I LIVED for Boyd solos at the shows... so take Pig(obviously a fan favorite)would heavily feature him throughout and Raven a bit less but he was more prominent in those songs than others where he more filled; it got to be that id try to find(with my drunken ears) those fills to kinda quench my thirst for his solos bc from my experience... he had 2 big solos a show. If they played Crush at the 6th spot i was always like "ok, cmon next one Graves" and then Jimi was played at the 16th slot and i was let down. Maybe they'd play Ants and Pig at that same show so id get 4 heavily featured Boyd songs. But Graves violin solos were always the highlight of shows for me... that damn energy and stage presence he brought..whew!

I love the talk above ^^ about him kinda being wound up and let go for his few solos bc i felt that as far back as 08/09(tough to recall exactly when) The muting was so obvious to me and my friends and i agree if a new fiddler came in i wouldn't really start picking apart the differences between Boyd until a Live Trax was released.. mainly bc id be losing my s%$t going to as many shows as possible and living in those shows moments.

i'll admit... i was one of those who screamed to grab Jeff initially and it wasn't until being a few years removed from the passing of Roi that i noticed Roi was so smooth and Jeff played much more aggressively.. but the aggressiveness worked well especially initially after 08.

High energy Boyd(skrees and all) is something I'll always revere. I miss the violin badly. But I'm like those shows i watch on Discovery ID.. as bad as the story might be i want to know every detail.
    ColorsMxTogeth is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #27
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post

The thing is, what Boyd was doing musically isn't difficult to do. Could someone come in and replace Boyd's energy? No way, you're right he was a great fit for a period of time. Could someone come in and be less of a showboat and blow the crowd away in a different manner? Absolutely.

Boyd played the same handful of scales and combination of notes repeatedly. Complicated doesn't mean better, but he is nowhere near unrivaled in ability to play the violin. Look at his guest spots with the Spin Doctors or others where his "energy" isn't the focus, and tell me he's good.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #28
    HonestDenver1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColorsMxTogeth View Post
    I LIVED for Boyd solos at the shows... so take Pig(obviously a fan favorite)would heavily feature him throughout and Raven a bit less but he was more prominent in those songs than others where he more filled; it got to be that id try to find(with my drunken ears) those fills to kinda quench my thirst for his solos bc from my experience... he had 2 big solos a show. If they played Crush at the 6th spot i was always like "ok, cmon next one Graves" and then Jimi was played at the 16th slot and i was let down. Maybe they'd play Ants and Pig at that same show so id get 4 heavily featured Boyd songs. But Graves violin solos were always the highlight of shows for me... that damn energy and stage presence he brought..whew!

I love the talk above ^^ about him kinda being wound up and let go for his few solos bc i felt that as far back as 08/09(tough to recall exactly when) The muting was so obvious to me and my friends and i agree if a new fiddler came in i wouldn't really start picking apart the differences between Boyd until a Live Trax was released.. mainly bc id be losing my s%$t going to as many shows as possible and living in those shows moments.

i'll admit... i was one of those who screamed to grab Jeff initially and it wasn't until being a few years removed from the passing of Roi that i noticed Roi was so smooth and Jeff played much more aggressively.. but the aggressiveness worked well especially initially after 08.

High energy Boyd(skrees and all) is something I'll always revere. I miss the violin badly. But I'm like those shows i watch on Discovery ID.. as bad as the story might be i want to know every detail.
    Agreed on all counts here. In the early days into even early 2000's it seems Boyd and Roi both played pretty much all the time. Weaving into the background of the music and then soloing and trading solos when the time came. As the band progressed even before Roi's passing they took more of a traditional solo spot in the songs, and then once 08 came around it seemed Boyd was just playing 3-4 times a night in his featured songs, and not the rest of the show as much...

Boyd is why I started listening to this band. I thought his style of playing mixed with the music was so intriguing and different.. I dont miss the skree's either, especially in the last decade as they became more noticeable..

And agreed on Jeff too, Jeff is a more dynamic player and defintely more of a "trained" musician... I really liked his contributions in 08-10 before they decided to reel him in or he reeled himself if. #41 was just a blast those first couple years. After finding out Roi was not a #41 fan, it just brought so much fun energy to that song.
    Old 04-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #29
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 13

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    The thing is, what Boyd was doing musically isn't difficult to do. Could someone come in and replace Boyd's energy? No way, you're right he was a great fit for a period of time. Could someone come in and be less of a showboat and blow the crowd away in a different manner? Absolutely.

Boyd played the same handful of scales and combination of notes repeatedly. Complicated doesn't mean better, but he is nowhere near unrivaled in ability to play the violin. Look at his guest spots with the Spin Doctors or others where his "energy" isn't the focus, and tell me he's good.
    I never implied his ability is unrivaled, but his ability is unique to the Dave Matthews Band and their song catalogue.

This isn't exclusive to Boyd, either. It would take a lot for any musician playing any instrument to step into a role with a group that have been together for decades, and simply "fit in." There are plenty of musicians that are better than Boyd playing the violin, but that skill level wouldn't necessarily translate to the nature of the violin within DMB songs.

Last edited by ISawTheBridge10; 04-01-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #30
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

I know I'd rather roll the dice and see how DMB sounds with a world-class violinist as a full time member with solos than being subjected to what we had to live with while Boyd was still in the band with no other choice.