3 Wishes about Dave Matthews Band - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #61
splack03

Shows Seen: 0

Re: 3 Wishes about Dave Matthews Band

1. They play a setlist of 20 songs totally picked out of a hat, any song they have ever played, in any random order.

2. Every song should have every reasonable interpolation, Think "some people do, some people don't" and "pretty girl" on recently, "tomorrow never knows" intro to Minarets, extended nature into to billies, singing "can't help falling in love" on the Stone, "louie louie" on Warehouse and, of course, the third verse to grey street

3. A concert on halloween where they close with halloween and dave sings it like the Tabernacle days where he actually pronounces Halloween and doesn't slur the satisfied with fucking line...And if they can do it at MSG even better
splack03 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #62
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 103

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splack03 View Post
    1. They play a setlist of 20 songs totally picked out of a hat, any song they have ever played, in any random order.

2. Every song should have every reasonable interpolation, Think "some people do, some people don't" and "pretty girl" on recently, "tomorrow never knows" intro to Minarets, extended nature into to billies, singing "can't help falling in love" on the Stone, "louie louie" on Warehouse and, of course, the third verse to grey street

3. A concert on halloween where they close with halloween and dave sings it like the Tabernacle days where he actually pronounces Halloween and doesn't slur the satisfied with fucking line...And if they can do it at MSG even better
    I love this idea in theory but I want them to do something similar to what Matt Nathanson and Elvis Costello do when they've done "Spin the Wheel" tours where they spin a wheel to determine the next song---spin the wheel for parts of the set but select some of the songs too to ensure that the crowd gets a good opener and encore. You don't want chance to determine everything or you might end up getting a Blackjack and Be Yourself encore.
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #63
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 71

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    I assume I'm living in a world where all your wishes have already come true, and I still get to make a few other "quality of life" improvements:

1. Replace the teleprompter with being able to sing all the lyrics with the accuracy of most other artists. The teleprompter gets us more song rotation, but Dave is looking at the lyrics like 75% of the time he's singing. He squints and side-eyes them and loses his unique quirks and interaction with the audience, plus all improv is gone. I was watching the Warehouse 9.7.19 video and it's distracting how much he looks at it and has lost connection.

2. Restart of the DMBlive series. The Sirius streams are making this a little bit better. But having a monthly release would be awesome.

3. Download codes with all physical purchases. It costs $7 in shipping to get my Live Trax order within 7 days of release. I feel like the Pony Express still delivering mail from the Warehouse. There has to be a better way. But if I were e-mailed a download code on release day, they can take as long as they want to get it to me.
    I know you were not taking a shot at Dave but it's still worth noting that DMB plays upwards of 90 songs per summer, in different orders, with different arrangements. I would say 95% of artists not only play 10-20 different songs total per tour, but play them in the exact same order every show, and even have people in their IEMs queuing them into choruses, verses, etc.

It's an interesting wish though. Never really bothered me, but maybe I just haven't paid enough attention. For me, the variety and surprises are more important, and if that means Dave has to look at a teleprompter, so be it.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 03-17-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #64
    Alexis17

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    For me, the variety and surprises are more important, and if that means Dave has to look at a teleprompter, so be it.
    me too, but in my dream world and part of my wish is that he can rip out literally any song in the catalog. Your comment about bands not deviating, but I live in a non-dream world with bands like Gov't Mule, and Phish, and Umphrey's and others and they prove it IS possible to both play 125 different songs and know the lyrics enough to 125 different songs to be able to able to sing them. I'm not asking for 100% perfection, he wasn't perfect in the 90s and I loved it. and those artists miss some lyrics occasionally too. I'm fine with it in my dream world.

Last edited by Alexis17; 03-17-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #65
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 71

Quote:
    me too, but in my dream world and part of my wish is that he can rip out literally any song in the catalog. Your comment about bands not deviating, but I live in a non-dream world with bands like Gov't Mule, and Phish, and Umphrey's and others and they prove it IS possible to both play 125 different songs and know the lyrics enough to 125 different songs to be able to able to sing them. I'm not asking for 100% perfection, he wasn't perfect in the 90s and I loved it. and those artists miss some lyrics occasionally too. I'm fine with it in my dream world.
    Fair. I don't know too much of those band's catalogues, but do you feel its a safe assumption that their songs have significantly less lyrics than DMBs?
    Old 03-17-2021, 11:22 PM   #66
    YankeesDMB41
    TB12 4 Life

Shows Seen: 44

I've always said, when you compare DMB to other popular music acts that have sold as many tickets as they have, they put on better live show, have more diverse setlists, and have tighter performances than 95 percent of what's out there...but when you compare them to the jam band/bands with hardcore fanbases scene that a lot of people here are fans of (Phish, UM, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Widespread Panic, etc.), they are in the bottom rung when it comes to the metrics I listed before.

The people who I have taken to DMB shows that don't really get out much in terms of live music, have left in complete awe (talking about shows people here have called horrible)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 11:43 PM   #67
    JZ4140
    D, c#, bm, G, G, A.

Shows Seen: 52

I also feel like the comparisons between UM's and Phish's knowledge of their catalogs are pretty unfair at present. I'm a HUGE fan of both bands, but UM plays the shit out of all of their songs virtually without fail, and I feel like Phish can barely play most of their older, more advanced songs at this point - especially early in the tour / at short runs like NYE and Mexico. It's awful how sloppy such classic songs like The Curtain With, YEM and Golgi are played these days.

I submit, as an example, the YEM opener from the most recent webcast: https://webcast.livephish.com/

Last edited by JZ4140; 03-17-2021 at 11:45 PM.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2021, 02:23 AM   #68
    Keener

Shows Seen: 24

Only wish I have is for an long in-depth documentary about the band with unseen footage and real commentary from members/crew/friends/family etc...
    Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #69
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 13

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    1) Ditch Ross and Coffin and replace with just Branford
    2) Add a competent violin player
    3) Dave switches back to an actual good sounding guitar (Taylor/Martin)

I think when Carter decides to finally walk away, the Dave Matthews Band will be no more, but Dave will continue with a Dave & Friends-type setup and Branford would be a possibility for the occasional sit-in for full shows.
    ISawTheBridge10 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #70
    Alexis17

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keener View Post
    Only wish I have is for an long in-depth documentary about the band with unseen footage and real commentary from members/crew/friends/family etc...
    Road to Big Whiskey is exactly this. Granted we could another as it's been 12 years, but that doc is pretty amazing if you haven't seen it.
    Old 03-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #71
    Alexis17

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JZ4140 View Post
    I also feel like the comparisons between UM's and Phish's knowledge of their catalogs are pretty unfair at present. I'm a HUGE fan of both bands, but UM plays the shit out of all of their songs virtually without fail, and I feel like Phish can barely play most of their older, more advanced songs at this point - especially early in the tour / at short runs like NYE and Mexico. It's awful how sloppy such classic songs like The Curtain With, YEM and Golgi are played these days.

I submit, as an example, the YEM opener from the most recent webcast: https://webcast.livephish.com/
    Yeah they fuck up occasionally, like everyone, but that is not a fair assessment of modern Phish at all. I have listened to every note they've played since 2011 (minus the 2020 Mexico run, which I couldn't bring myself to listen during early lockdown). They are generally super-tight, and they fucked up as much back in the "good old days" as they do now. Is there one notable fuck up in the Baker's Dozen? 13 consecutive shows without a repeat.

Last edited by Alexis17; 03-18-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #72
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

Trey has absolutely used a teleprompter, not a great argument.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #73
    Alexis17

Has used. Doesn’t regularly. Still pulls off three times the number of songs Dave does including more than a handful per tour not played in a decade.

Argument holds.
    Old 03-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #74
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 32

1. BTCS Anniversary tour an vinyl reissue - Full Album played in its entirety every night for the first set. second set is fan favorites, etc.

2. Release a B-Sides Box Set.

3. Dave writes an autobiography/memoir. Promotes it with a book tour at tiny venues - Q&A, short set, etc.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #75
    Skittles72

Shows Seen: 36

Wish 1 - Dave is able to use his past inner turmoil and creativity to write lyrics in the vein of UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, and LWS

Wish 2 - The band releases studio versions of their unreleased '04-'06 songs.

Wish 3 - Bring back the violin
    Skittles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #76
    bowa36
    code magenta

Quote:
    Has used. Doesn’t regularly. Still pulls off three times the number of songs Dave does including more than a handful per tour not played in a decade.

Argument holds.
    phish is a band

Quote:
    "You just never know what you might get. Our shows are like a pack of baseball cards." - Fonz
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #77
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 41

1) I wish they would actually take musical chances on stage (like Umphreys Mcgee does)

2) I wish Boyd would come back

3) I wish they would re-release BTCS on vinyl and have it be actually affordable to the average person

2020: My couch
    2021: Deeper in my couch
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #78
    Roose13
    Get Gritty Wit' It

Shows Seen: 26

If a genie offered me three wishes strictly for Dave Matthews Band, I'd cram him back in his lamp and chuck it in the fucking ocean.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #79
    dmbdreamingtree

Shows Seen: 12

1. Roi never died
    2. Boyd’s whole negative past erased