***Cricket Pavillion 2009 Thread*** - Page 76 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #2251
WaltzingBack

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Cricket Pavillion 2009 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
Not many things make me happier to see that this thread was given life again. Hope everyone is doing well out in Phoenix. I just started stocking up for the DMB offseason today by downloading alot of the shows recently. It's almost time for tour season, one more show in Little Rock and then it's goodbye to DMB until 2010. I'm going to try to make it out to the Phoenix show next year just for old times sake. Hopefully the dates work out, but if they don't, I'll see you all at the Gorge.
yo! i'm kinda sad that my year of seeing DMB is over but i'm excited for future experiences. 2010 is gonna kick our asses!! you really should try to make it to Phx next year. that's the one show i'm 100% confident that i'm going to. have you transferred yet or are you still currently at ASU?
WaltzingBack is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #2252
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not many things make me happier to see that this thread was given life again. Hope everyone is doing well out in Phoenix. I just started stocking up for the DMB offseason today by downloading alot of the shows recently. It's almost time for tour season, one more show in Little Rock and then it's goodbye to DMB until 2010. I'm going to try to make it out to the Phoenix show next year just for old times sake. Hopefully the dates work out, but if they don't, I'll see you all at the Gorge.
    Damned Straight you will.

I started looking into finding a place to stay. (Yes - we're too old/spoiled to camp). Found what appear to be some nice rentals up in Quincy. Going to pursue it some more tomorrow.
    davet7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #2253
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

just got to say, best show of the spring.
    Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #2254
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WaltzingBack View Post
    yo! i'm kinda sad that my year of seeing DMB is over but i'm excited for future experiences. 2010 is gonna kick our asses!! you really should try to make it to Phx next year. that's the one show i'm 100% confident that i'm going to. have you transferred yet or are you still currently at ASU?
    I've transferred. I'm at Clemson right now and loving it. Still keeping tabs on the ASU football team though, and keeping in contact with some people from there. My Dad went to college with most of the football coaches there so I can always get him to go out for a game or anything like that. I might just convince him to take a trip out there when DMB is in Phoenix. It'll be a planned coincidence

And to the post above me: Phoenix and Vegas N2 are T-1 for best show of the Spring by far. I'm lucky enough to have gone to both of them. WPB and Alpine N2 are T-1 for best shows of the summer for me. All 4 are so different which is the best part, it's been a great year.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #2255
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davet7462 View Post
    Damned Straight you will.

I started looking into finding a place to stay. (Yes - we're too old/spoiled to camp). Found what appear to be some nice rentals up in Quincy. Going to pursue it some more tomorrow.
    Absolutely, I'm going to camp since it'll just be me and my friend. We'll probably just do the regular Gorge campground to really soak it all in 24/7 (well I guess 24/3 since we're not there for a week). I'll have to talk to him at some point soon because maybe he'll want to stay in a hotel, but I wouldn't imagine him being opposed to camping. It should be a great weekend, let the countdown begin.
    Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #2256
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I dunno if I can do Phoenix again...the setlist was great, but the crowd was terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Gorge
    Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #2257
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
    I dunno if I can do Phoenix again...the setlist was great, but the crowd was terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Gorge
    Not sure what you expect if you're comparing Phoenix to the Gorge.

On the one hand - you've got a venue that EVERYBODY who goes to it has to travel. Even if you live in Seattle its still 2+ hours. But most everybody comes from all over the country just to experience the Gorge and see the band. The Gorge draws in the die-hard fans. See map below:

http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewSho...hp?showid=4061

Whereas Phoenix was a Wednesday night show in a city. Few people travel to this show - most of these people - its going to be their only show of the year so you don't have alot of the 'die-hards' in Phoenix.

http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewSho...hp?showid=3982

And I don't know what you mean by 'terrible.' I've never found the Phoenix crowd 'terrible,' - which to me implies rudeness and people just being downright mean.
    Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #2258
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And to the post above me: Phoenix and Vegas N2 are T-1 for best show of the Spring by far. I'm lucky enough to have gone to both of them. WPB and Alpine N2 are T-1 for best shows of the summer for me. All 4 are so different which is the best part, it's been a great year.
    Saw 3 of them (didn't see WPB) - and those 3 are probably my 3 favorite of the year. Irvine actually ranks pretty high, actually - but would probably come in 4th. But - yeah - Phoenix was a great, great show.

Quote:
    Absolutely, I'm going to camp since it'll just be me and my friend. We'll probably just do the regular Gorge campground to really soak it all in 24/7 (well I guess 24/3 since we're not there for a week). I'll have to talk to him at some point soon because maybe he'll want to stay in a hotel, but I wouldn't imagine him being opposed to camping. It should be a great weekend, let the countdown begin.
    You're young enough to do that. Us - not so much.
    Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #2259
    WaltzingBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i like the crowd at Phoenix. they're pretty mellow and respectful, even if they're not hardcore like the ones at the gorge. i'll take the phoenix crowd over the chula vista crowd any day. i found them very disrespectful, but maybe it was because i was sitting in the aisle. maybe i would've felt differently if i was in the middle of a row.
    Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #2260
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i like the crowd at Phoenix. they're pretty mellow and respectful, even if they're not hardcore like the ones at the gorge. i'll take the phoenix crowd over the chula vista crowd any day. i found them very disrespectful, but maybe it was because i was sitting in the aisle. maybe i would've felt differently if i was in the middle of a row.
    Seriously. Chula Vista on the aisle is the worst experience I've ever had. People move down and then try to shove you into the row. Did it in 2007 - never again.
    Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #2261
    WaltzingBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seriously. Chula Vista on the aisle is the worst experience I've ever had. People move down and then try to shove you into the row. Did it in 2007 - never again.
    it was just irritating b/c whenever there was a lost drunk person, i was the one they'd ask for help. i know i look like a friendly person, and i'm happy to help, but i'm WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW!

also, missed the moment when the curtains went down b/c the usher thought i was in the wrong section and asked for my tickets. the one time i'm actually in the right section, and my tickets get checked
    Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #2262
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    it was just irritating b/c whenever there was a lost drunk person, i was the one they'd ask for help. i know i look like a friendly person, and i'm happy to help, but i'm WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW!

also, missed the moment when the curtains went down b/c the usher thought i was in the wrong section and asked for my tickets. the one time i'm actually in the right section, and my tickets get checked
    I just hated our experience there in 2007. When I brought up to my wife about going back there this year - since it was a Saturday - she was totally against it. I had to convince her we'd get seats that weren't anywhere near an aisle. Luckily - somehow - I found a pair in the orchestra for just about face value. Much, much better experience not being on the aisle.

And you don't look young enough to be an usher at Chula.
    Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #2263
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not sure what you expect if you're comparing Phoenix to the Gorge.

On the one hand - you've got a venue that EVERYBODY who goes to it has to travel. Even if you live in Seattle its still 2+ hours. But most everybody comes from all over the country just to experience the Gorge and see the band. The Gorge draws in the die-hard fans. See map below:

http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewSho...hp?showid=4061

Whereas Phoenix was a Wednesday night show in a city. Few people travel to this show - most of these people - its going to be their only show of the year so you don't have alot of the 'die-hards' in Phoenix.

http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewSho...hp?showid=3982

And I don't know what you mean by 'terrible.' I've never found the Phoenix crowd 'terrible,' - which to me implies rudeness and people just being downright mean.
    You make very good points...all of which I agree with. Maybe it was just my section. Tons of drunk people that obviously didn't give a shit about the show in front of them (ie, 3 extremely drunk girls leaving after Crash after sitting down since the opener), and just obnoxious people. I'm sure it was probably just my section, and I already said I was spoiled by the Gorge, but still. I guess terrible was a bit harsh. Disappointing would be a better word.

Quote:
    Hmmm. My section (203) was definitely not mellow, but I guess they were respectful. Again, I have high expectations with the Gorge being my home venue.
    Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #2264
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

The crowd in section 102 was pretty good. The kid next to me was really into the show but the people in the row in front of me were with some hotel group and were just there for the party. They still had a good time though, didn't know too many songs aside from Everyday but they were into it. The people to my right weren't into the show at all, sitting down during Warehouse and Dreaming Tree from what I remember, just not into it, but that's not a bad thing. I still can't believe the place was half empty, I thought the crowd was loud as all hell during #36 on Everyday.
    Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #2265
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You make very good points...all of which I agree with. Maybe it was just my section. Tons of drunk people that obviously didn't give a shit about the show in front of them (ie, 3 extremely drunk girls leaving after Crash after sitting down since the opener), and just obnoxious people. I'm sure it was probably just my section, and I already said I was spoiled by the Gorge, but still. I guess terrible was a bit harsh. Disappointing would be a better word.

Hmmm. My section (203) was definitely not mellow, but I guess they were respectful. Again, I have high expectations with the Gorge being my home venue.
    Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the Gorge. No other venue that I've ever seen can even be in the same conversation with it. Phoenix is just your basic cookie cutter symmetrical ampitheatre.

The issues with the people you mention - happen everywhere. It annoys me - but what can you do. I was sitting 10th row center at Alpine N2 - and the guy in front of us sat in his chair, slumped over, passed out the entire show. The guy right next to me was apparently chaperoning his daughter and her date. Was bored as could be - kept wandering out to the aisle to take walks.
    Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #2266
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

The row in front of me Alpine N2 had about twice as many people in it as it should've. The couple in front of me got in a fight because the guy wanted to go sit with their friends in the other section but she wanted to stay in their seats because apparently they paid $250 for them. Their solution? Just bring their friends over in their row and cram them in, the people around them were so pissed. The one guy ended up standing on his chair for the entire encore, luckily the people next to us left before the encore so we could slide over, I was about to clock him right in the back of the head to get him down. Oh yeah that was right after he got done having sex with his girlfriend in her seat. My brother loved that one During the #41 jam. When I say Jeff and Carter make babies during the jam, some people take it way too literally.
    Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #2267
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

hello all in the hot as hell city of Phx? glad I found the thread! Just got back from a couple of shows in So Cal. Par show in Chula Vista and a stellar show in Irvine.
    ZMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #2268
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

To all the good Phoenix folks out there - if any of you care (and you all should) - Brett Dennen and Grace Potter & the Nocturnals are coming to the Marquee Theater in Tempe on Friday, December 11th. Tickets are on sale now. You can go to www.gracepotter.com - click on the 'shows' link - then there will be a button to buy tickets to each show. Find the Tempe show - and there you go. Tickets are only $20.00

Those of you that know me know that I've been championing Grace Potter for a couple of years now. Just a great, great live band. This should really be a stellar show.
    Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #2269
    WaltzingBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zacbecerra View Post
    hello all in the hot as hell city of Phx? glad I found the thread! Just got back from a couple of shows in So Cal. Par show in Chula Vista and a stellar show in Irvine.
    Chula Vista was awesome it was great meeting you!

Quote:
    To all the good Phoenix folks out there - if any of you care (and you all should) - Brett Dennen and Grace Potter & the Nocturnals are coming to the Marquee Theater in Tempe on Friday, December 11th. Tickets are on sale now. You can go to www.gracepotter.com - click on the 'shows' link - then there will be a button to buy tickets to each show. Find the Tempe show - and there you go. Tickets are only $20.00

Those of you that know me know that I've been championing Grace Potter for a couple of years now. Just a great, great live band. This should really be a stellar show.
    i've been wanting to start listening to Grace Potter. where should i start?
    Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #2270
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i've been wanting to start listening to Grace Potter. where should i start?
    I'll PM you one of her May Concerts.

Also - go to this site for some of her Bonnaroo highlights from this year. If you only have time for one - I highly recommend 'Nothing but the Water.' But they're all good.

http://www.thisissomewhere.com/2009/...ive-available/
    Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #2271
    WaltzingBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll PM you one of her May Concerts.

Also - go to this site for some of her Bonnaroo highlights from this year. If you only have time for one - I highly recommend 'Nothing but the Water.' But they're all good.

http://www.thisissomewhere.com/2009/...ive-available/
    watched them all. they're FANTASTIC. i really wanna go to this show.
    Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #2272
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

checked out the video highlights. pretty fun band. And WITH Brett Dennon I will for surely be there. Brett rocked it at Rothbury this year. Ended with Billie Jean. Good ish!!
    Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #2273
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nice meeting you as well. Pretty cool how we all met up together from Phx in Chula Vista.
    Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #2274
    WaltzingBack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zacbecerra View Post
    Nice meeting you as well. Pretty cool how we all met up together from Phx in Chula Vista.
    it's very cool there's an amazing sense of community amongst DMB fans. i hung out with Thomas & Adam for a bit before i went inside the venue and i felt like we all knew each other so well. or maybe that was just Adam's ocean beach kush talking
    Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #2275
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    watched them all. they're FANTASTIC. i really wanna go to this show.
    The only problem with the show is that they're only going to play for an hour or a bit more. Would much rather see her put on a full show - but still - for $20 - an hour of GPN is definitely worth it!
    Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #2276
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

For What Its Worth

This is the GPN-Bonnaroo link I thought I was posting. This link has HD versions of about 5 of her Bonnaroo songs.

http://music.att.net/s/s.dll?spage=h...ls2009Bonnaroo
    Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #2277
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Damn I want to see Brett Dennen and GPN. That'd be awesome. Hopefully they come somewhere around here.
    Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #2278
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Grace Potter might be the sexiest woman alive.
    Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #2279
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    it's very cool there's an amazing sense of community amongst DMB fans. i hung out with Thomas & Adam for a bit before i went inside the venue and i felt like we all knew each other so well. or maybe that was just Adam's ocean beach kush talking
    A couple times when I was standing there at the tailgate.....I thought my feet where just off the ground and I was floating.
    Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #2280
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Damn I want to see Brett Dennen and GPN. That'd be awesome. Hopefully they come somewhere around here.
    Atlanta on November 14th?

Or if you're bored on October 24th there is this in Milledgeville, GA

http://www.deeprootsfestival.com/music.html

I like Trampled by Turtles, too.

Tags
    cricket , spring 2009