Dave discusses writing new songs, wanting to record music w/ new DMB lineup soon - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #91
jjlak15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave discusses writing new songs, wanting to record music w/ new DMB lineup soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizingbines View Post
I’m thinking we’ll start hearing something more about a new album sooner than later if Dave is already acknowledging it to the press.
I am assuming the next album will be very similar to CT. A few old ones scattered in with some new ones with Buddy.
jjlak15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #92
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave discusses writing new songs, wanting to record music w/ new DMB lineup soon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Would you want this back in your band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9A0GoOK3zU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92lUMt-RU0 (fyi, the rest of the band is openly laughing in his face in this video)

what a professional
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #93
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjlak15 View Post
    I am assuming the next album will be very similar to CT. A few old ones scattered in with some new ones with Buddy.
    I agree. And a live debut or something this tour of a new song. If they busted out those horrific Be Yourself and Plastic Girl songs randomly, they definitely have newer stuff that's better than that they can play.

What about that Clown song? When does a studio version of that come out? Isn't it in a movie?
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #94
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prezzy View Post
    Didn't one of the "in the know" posters mention that there would be a follow up album much faster than CT following up aftw?

Yes I was told this and relayed the info. AFAIK others were told the same
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #95
    greystreet420

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I’d love to see Bullets and Rum, Situation and scream into the grave on the next album. Sprinkle in crazy easy, sugar will and Bismarck and it would be a huge start for an impressive album. Dave likes his solo songs which I find painfully annoying and boring so you can guarantee one of those on a new album.
    greystreet420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #96
    maythekarma1

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else really want BKDKDKD to be released in full?

Would link the two albums nicely as well!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #97
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I like Be Yourself and agree that it could be a great bridge between CT and whatever comes next.

I still think they could officially release DYR and IoY as singles and have them be great summer “hits” if they did a bit of modern promoting. The money and effort involved are not this band’s thing though, or they could have done it last year.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #98
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

That Help Myself confirms that Dave's eyebrow-lookover thing is really Dave constantly needing to check in on Boyd; and then he made it the Some Devil cover art

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Some_Devil.png
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #99
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Sometimes I wonder where the lack of promoting comes from. I know we sit here and laugh at "management" for their ineptitude but it honestly has to be more than that. They are still one of the biggest touring acts in the country and have been for 20 years now and they have 7 consecutive #1 albums. Coran Capshaw is normally listed as one of the top 10 most influential people in music and Red Light represents over 300 acts. There is just no way you get that kind of big by being shit at your job and DMB is still Red Lights largest client. It's definitely intentional, the question is, where does that decision come from.

I will say, maybe it is smart in an odd way. If you get pushed into everyone's faces for too long people start to reject you. Coldplay was one of the worst about it, even Chris Martin said he thought at one point there were just a little too "everywhere" and I know I personally got extremely sick of them.

Unrelated - Red Light has some amazing talent. Their client list is a lot of the bands I love. Gotta hand it to them.

https://www.redlightmanagement.com/roster/
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #100
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

No need to promote an album when you can make saps like us buy 18 copies of it each by tying it to ticket sales.
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #101
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    No need to promote an album when you can make saps like us buy 18 copies of it each by tying it to ticket sales.
    Exactly. Why bother promoting? Everyone basically knows who they are at this point. Their fan base is big enough to support them and with this type of marketing move the got free promotion for being the "#1 album".

I think the question they probably ask themselves is - if I spend $3M in advertising is it going to make us a return on that investment? At this point, it honestly probably isn't. They aren't going to gain 100K new fans suddenly.

I don't see a massive amount of advertising for Pearl Jam or other long term acts either.
    Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #102
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder where the lack of promoting comes from. I know we sit here and laugh at "management" for their ineptitude but it honestly has to be more than that. They are still one of the biggest touring acts in the country and have been for 20 years now and they have 7 consecutive #1 albums. Coran Capshaw is normally listed as one of the top 10 most influential people in music and Red Light represents over 300 acts. There is just no way you get that kind of big by being shit at your job and DMB is still Red Lights largest client. It's definitely intentional, the question is, where does that decision come from.

I will say, maybe it is smart in an odd way. If you get pushed into everyone's faces for too long people start to reject you. Coldplay was one of the worst about it, even Chris Martin said he thought at one point there were just a little too "everywhere" and I know I personally got extremely sick of them.

Unrelated - Red Light has some amazing talent. Their client list is a lot of the bands I love. Gotta hand it to them.

Never forget that from '91-until Crash, DMB's biggest promotion tool was fans trading concerts - i.e. word of mouth and proof of live prowess. Wide-scale self-promotion has never been in the bands DNA. The albums were promoted via the label, and they were always open to any and everything in the '90s to where promotionally they just 'went with it.'

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #103
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

My notion is based on the fundamental idea that artists, especially creative performing artists, generally don't just create and perform for themselves. They have something to say and they want others to partake of their work. It's not as basic as appreciation or as muddled as the notion of validation can become...it's something more.

And I wrote a version of this post getting into that something more, but I'll break it down to regaining some cultural relevance and maximizing their influence...musically and beyond.

So getting more people to hear DYR and IoY makes sense. And I feel like these songs kinda sell themselves once people hear them...

Last edited by grilldanmo; 05-22-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #104
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    I second this. I also still enjoy Come Tomorrow. I have a DMB-Family ish attitude where I'm just glad they are still motivated to keep playing.
    This. I like Come Tomorrow and welcome a new album.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    They can’t be a nostalgia act when entire groups of people are jumping up and down to That Girl Is You live. Have you seen the Facebook comments after the shows? The fans want TGIY, Can’t Stop, Cornbread, etc.

We are a minority and I hate to say it.
    And this. The band doesn’t make music/perform for the hardcores. We will never see another album like the big three. That’s just something I’ve accepted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prezzy View Post
    Didn't one of the "in the know" posters mention that there would be a follow up album much faster than CT following up aftw?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Yes I was told this and relayed the info. AFAIK others were told the same
    Yes, this is correct. Was told the same. Within “a few years” after CT.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #105
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I had no idea RLM was that big, or at least that it manages that many bands/artists, wow.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #106
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    I had no idea RLM was that big, or at least that it manages that many bands/artists, wow.
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I found that out as well. Capshaw is actually a huge deal in the industry and if you look, it seems almost like Dave has helped to recruit a lot of these bands to RLM. He has done stuff with a lot of them. I'm honestly pretty surprised that they aren't begging DMB to let some of the medium size bands open for them.
    Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #107
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I still think they could officially release DYR and IoY as singles and have them be great summer “hits” if they did a bit of modern promoting. The money and effort involved are not this band’s thing though, or they could have done it last year.
    Idea of You would have made a good single, if it were released back in 2006. But now, I think Dave was reluctant to even put it on the album, let alone make it a single. It's clearly a solid song, but he has expressed his embarrassment attached to the lyrics.

It works well in the the context of the album, fits right in with the albums theme of love and family and imagination. But as a stand alone single, not so much

Last edited by Cptn. Monkeyman; 05-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #108
    spiza

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    Why would we not want our favorite band to keep creating music? CT has bright spots and some throw aways but a lot of those tunes are way better in a live setting...which hasnt always been the case over the last few albums.

And as far as Boyd is concerned, that YMDT video is all you need to know. The man has clearly struggled with some form of pill addiction for quite some time, he isn't even in his skull at that moment in time...those cats can barely form sentences when they are all messed up, more or less tune a violin and play complex notes.
    i posted a while back if Boyd became addicted to pills it could of been after his Carpel Tunnel surgery, i think that was in 2012? After that he seemed to have nights were he was turned on mentally (sounded good) and nights he was turned off mentally (Non existent). I know that Gorge video is from 2010 but ill give him a pass on that one, he sounded good at the Caravans in 2011.
    spiza is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #109
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    They can’t be a nostalgia act when entire groups of people are jumping up and down to That Girl Is You live. Have you seen the Facebook comments after the shows? The fans want TGIY, Can’t Stop, Cornbread, etc.

We are a minority and I hate to say it.
    We love plenty of songs, that entire crowds eat up. Have you been in a crowd when the last stop gets a random liberation or played? People go apeshit, cause it's simply good live and keeps people engaged. Crowd goes nuts for the Stone...if the fans were totally casual and that's what they want, why do all these people still know to belt out Elvis at the end? I don't like Cornbread, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't have qualities people will attach to in a live setting.

My point is, none of this is that simple. Them playing more of their good songs, songs that are on major albums that would resonate with a lot of people isn't a hardcore or casual thing.

And I don't expect them to make an album like the big 3, of course that won't happen, but I do expect great songs to make an album, like Bismarck, and I'd expect saxophone to be more present. They can absolutely make good music, Again and Again is an awesome song with a cool arrangement and a very different sound than what the band was when I became a fan. And none of those differences made me like the song less. Virginia in the Rain is great, and it's more Radiohead with Carter drums than it is classic DMB.

Last edited by jaymas9; 05-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #110
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Great news. A whole album with Buddy and without Boyd would be awesome. The band's in an excellent place- let's get into a studio!

I'd like to hear studio takes of Sugar Will, Loving Wings, and Bismarck, but it would also be cool to have it all be new material.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #111
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I found that out as well. Capshaw is actually a huge deal in the industry and if you look, it seems almost like Dave has helped to recruit a lot of these bands to RLM. He has done stuff with a lot of them. I'm honestly pretty surprised that they aren't begging DMB to let some of the medium size bands open for them.
    I've seen several of those bands open for them which is great, but yes, could always work more openers aside from at the Gorge (which i think it's limited to now, aside from Alpine this year getting PHJB).
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #112
    dreamstree41

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Great news. A whole album with Buddy and without Boyd would be awesome. The band's in an excellent place- let's get into a studio!

I'd like to hear studio takes of Sugar Will, Loving Wings, and Bismarck, but it would also be cool to have it all be new material.
    Throw in A Dream So Real and I'm sold!
    Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #113
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamstree41 View Post
    Throw in A Dream So Real and I'm sold!
    Forgot about that tune- I'd dig it!
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #114
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly. Why bother promoting? Everyone basically knows who they are at this point.

Yet one of the biggest complaints I see here is that the band doesn't do enough marketing.
    Old 05-23-2019, 04:43 AM   #115
    42km
    Drive In : Dive Out

Shows Seen: 141

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maythekarma1 View Post

It would be better without the lyrics!

Europe 2024: Milan, Florence
    Summer 2024: Alpine x 2, SPAC x 2, Gorge x 3
    42km is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #116
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    I've seen several of those bands open for them which is great, but yes, could always work more openers aside from at the Gorge (which i think it's limited to now, aside from Alpine this year getting PHJB).
    Same here but not in the last few years, which sucks. It opened up more guest opportunities and exposed everyone to some smaller bands. I always wonder what made them stop with the openers. Probably just a financial decision.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Yet one of the biggest complaints I see here is that the band doesn't do enough marketing.
    I'm aware. I just don't really fully understand the complaints. Their a band, not a new soda. I don't need to see them regularly on billboards around town and on TV with some radio voice telling me to go see them because they are awesome.

I think people around here want to justify liking this band to outsiders. If Samurai Cop is in 3 big motion pictures and plays on the radio 50 times a day until you hate it then it validates that your favorite band is the best band and everyone should respect you for being so into them. The days of Crash are gone though...
    Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #117
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

People want more promo content like the summer warm up videos. No one wants more ads from Target promoting Come Tomorrow.
    Old 05-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #118
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

My posts were only referring to promoting the music, releasing singles and playing the game to get them into peoples ears. I also question the notion that everyone knows who they are. Their fans know and older music fans that listened to the radio where you are force fed playlists.

There's a huge amount of people that only use streaming services and either create their own playlists and aren't getting introduced to a lot different music (be it new or old). They're selecting playlists based on the music they know or the new version of the top 40. So if you're not in there, people aren't going to hear you or know you. Even those that knew you at one point might forget you as they listen to the latest music being pushed onto them. To a certain extent this started with XM and Sirius and their genre-based stations. Instead of being exposed to more and new and different, you could just go directly to your comfort zone...you're favorite music.

Current HS and college kids that might (and I stress [I]might[/] know DMB are more likely only aware of them because of their parents. This might make DMB about as appealing as an STD to that age group. OUR kids might different, but the average or casual music fan isn't generally spreading the love of "their" music to the next generation.

The biggest bumped the band has had in years was CIM being in Ladybird. Probably the least expensive and most effective promotion they done in years. I'm good with their music being on soundtracks and getting more play and in more heads. But as this doesn't seem to be a concern of band, then it's all good.

I still like discovering new and new-to-me music. I hear that first song from a band and I listen to the album...if I like it, I buy it and start digging into the rest of their catalog. But if I never hear the stuff...

...anyway...
    Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #119
    dmbnut21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    People want more promo content like the summer warm up videos. No one wants more ads from Target promoting Come Tomorrow.
    Ok, I get that. My guess is the band doesn't want to mess with it and I doubt they really get a lot of pay off for doing it. That's more for the hardcores and we are already going to spend money. Plus they don't really like us anyway...
    Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #120
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maythekarma1 View Post

Man, I hope not. There are so many other tunes sitting on the shelf. I would, however, take it over "Spotlight."

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote