**Official Running Thread** - Page 153 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #4561
laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
at what distance do you find that you’ll want to fuel up during your run? I’m thinking of starting to run some longer distances and am just curious.
usually if it’s longer than 1:15 min, ill have a gel around the 45 min mark
i did a longer warmup on sunday and ate my breakfast 2hrs 30min prior to running, so i also had a gel at the start to top off my energy stores

every runner is different but a good rule of thumb is to have some sort of fuel when you are running for 75-90 minutes. fuel also helps with recover

i used to be more conservative with using gels, but I find I just feel a lot better when im not running on empty. and run better
laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #4562
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkrue22 View Post
    Thoughts on training at a slower pace?

I'm signed up to run a marathon this fall and I'd like to break 4 hours. The training plan I'm using wants me to run my long runs and easy runs at like 9:53/mile, which feels obnoxiously slow. If I trust the plan and just build mileage at a slower pace, will I still be able to knock out 26.2 in ~9:00/mile on race day? (The plan does have faster intervals and pace training throughout the week.)

Background: Always been a decent runner. Ran several half marathons and busted out a full marathon in college without really training (14 years ago!). Recently been more into CrossFit the last couple years... this is my first time seriously committing to a training plan/race with a goal in mind.
    Race update: I ran the Columbus Marathon yesterday in 4:00:31! Yep, missed my goal by just 30 seconds officially (though my watch had me at 3:59:55... so I'll go with that ).

Lessons learned:
    -Don't trust your watch! The only thing I can think of is that it paused itself automatically when I stopped to use the toilet... but I caught it and restarted it right away, couldn't have been more than 5 seconds. Either way, paces can be off because distances vary, so give yourself a decent buffer!

-Don't stop your training program 2.5 months prior to the race. Long story short, the race I was going to run in September was cancelled due to COVID (dumb). My training app never "re-synced" itself for the new October race, and I let myself fall off my plan (lots of travel for work and a new baby didn't help). I felt way more prepared at the end of July than I did in October... those 30 seconds would have been easy to make up if I had stuck with the plan!

-Energy gel shots are money. I took 3 during the race: Miles 8, 17, and 22... but get flavors you like! That chocolate one at the end was gross.

-Start with the correct group. My brother and I were a little late getting to the starting line and found ourselves starting farther back in the pack than we were supposed to. Those first couple miles were super packed and slow... also could've made up 30 seconds had I started at the correct pace!

All that said, the weather was perfect and the race support was outstanding... it was a beautiful day for running 26.2!
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #4563
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Race update: I ran the Columbus Marathon yesterday in 4:00:31! Yep, missed my goal by just 30 seconds officially (though my watch had me at 3:59:55... so I'll go with that ).

Lessons learned:
    -Don't trust your watch! The only thing I can think of is that it paused itself automatically when I stopped to use the toilet... but I caught it and restarted it right away, couldn't have been more than 5 seconds. Either way, paces can be off because distances vary, so give yourself a decent buffer!

-Don't stop your training program 2.5 months prior to the race. Long story short, the race I was going to run in September was cancelled due to COVID (dumb). My training app never "re-synced" itself for the new October race, and I let myself fall off my plan (lots of travel for work and a new baby didn't help). I felt way more prepared at the end of July than I did in October... those 30 seconds would have been easy to make up if I had stuck with the plan!

-Energy gel shots are money. I took 3 during the race: Miles 8, 17, and 22... but get flavors you like! That chocolate one at the end was gross.

-Start with the correct group. My brother and I were a little late getting to the starting line and found ourselves starting farther back in the pack than we were supposed to. Those first couple miles were super packed and slow... also could've made up 30 seconds had I started at the correct pace!

All that said, the weather was perfect and the race support was outstanding... it was a beautiful day for running 26.2!
    Damn,bro! Nice job! Ugh, those 31 seconds would kill me though. Especially knowing that your fitness was more on point earlier in the year.

Regarding that last point, you probably had a way more enjoyable experience though because those first few miles were slower than what you wanted compared to most people who start too fast.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #4564
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Lessons learned:

congrats!!!!! for a first timer, you killed it !!! how are you feeling today? is it too early for me to ask what’s next?

it stinks when you get stuck in a large pack and want to get ahead. there were a lot of narrow parts of marine corps marathon where I just had to ride it out. i find that it’s the better approach instead of zig zagging

what was the total distance when you were done? that’s another good thing to think about for others- “cut corners” when you can. the chicago marathon actually has a secret painted line on the route that is the “shortest” route possible (Aka 26.2)
    Old 10-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #4565
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

If I ever run a marathon I just have to beat Oprah's time.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #4566
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    it stinks when you get stuck in a large pack and want to get ahead. there were a lot of narrow parts of marine corps marathon where I just had to ride it out. i find that it’s the better approach instead of zig zagging

what was the total distance when you were done? that’s another good thing to think about for others- “cut corners” when you can. the chicago marathon actually has a secret painted line on the route that is the “shortest” route possible (Aka 26.2)

Yep, not running the tangents will always add up over 26.2
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #4567
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    congrats!!!!! for a first timer, you killed it !!! how are you feeling today? is it too early for me to ask what’s next?

Thanks! It wasn't actually my first one though. Ran Denver back in college at 4:12 (without really training). So I guess I set a new PR - almost a minute faster per year older. Feeling pretty good today, much better than I remember feeling last time. Legs are pretty sore though, I think I'll skip the gym for a day or two.

Next up is getting back into my CrossFit gym for the next few months. I miss those workouts (completely different from marathon training) and I'm paying enough for my membership, should probably get something out of it. But I think I'll definitely run another marathon someday to officially break 4 hours haha. Otherwise find some halves to run... much more fun distance. Maybe some off-road trail races since I'm moving out west soon?

My watch said total distance was about 26.31 miles... so slightly longer but not too far off. How accurate are those GPS watches anyway (I have a newer Apple Watch, and had my phone with me the entire time). I did notice these little blue arrows painted on the course at every turn... maybe those were the ideal route.
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #4568
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks! It wasn't actually my first one though. Ran Denver back in college at 4:12 (without really training). So I guess I set a new PR - almost a minute faster per year older. Feeling pretty good today, much better than I remember feeling last time. Legs are pretty sore though, I think I'll skip the gym for a day or two.

Next up is getting back into my CrossFit gym for the next few months. I miss those workouts (completely different from marathon training) and I'm paying enough for my membership, should probably get something out of it. But I think I'll definitely run another marathon someday to officially break 4 hours haha. Otherwise find some halves to run... much more fun distance. Maybe some off-road trail races since I'm moving out west soon?

My watch said total distance was about 26.31 miles... so slightly longer but not too far off. How accurate are those GPS watches anyway (I have a newer Apple Watch, and had my phone with me the entire time). I did notice these little blue arrows painted on the course at every turn... maybe those were the ideal route.
    yeah I like the half distance, too. satisfying distance, and it doesn’t wreck your body requiring so much recovery time like a marathon does. meaning, if you have a shitty half race (bad weather, sick, etc) you can go out a few weeks after and try again. if you have a shitty marathon, can’t really do that
    Old 10-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #4569
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, not sure I’ll ever make the leap from halves to fulls…
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #4570
    buzz05232000
    In Flynn We Trust

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MDPrompter View Post
    Yeah, not sure I’ll ever make the leap from halves to fulls…

Halfs are my favorite. I like 30ks too. It’s either halves or ultras for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.last.fm/user/buzz05232000
    buzz05232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #4571
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdYSKXs9/
    Old 10-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #4572
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else apply for Hood to Coast? I feel like it’s the old days of Warehouse requests. Checking my cc to see if any temp charges are on it
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #4573
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

My wife and I just signed up for our first half marathon for April 2022. It's a super easy, flat course around the San Diego Bay, so it seems like a good entry-level race. We're going with a 20-week training plan beginning the first week of December since we pretty much are starting from scratch after the last 2 months were pretty inactive.

I'm mostly excited about having a regime to stick to, which is also going to pay off huge with more focused eating, less drinking, etc.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #4574
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Anyone else apply for Hood to Coast? I feel like it’s the old days of Warehouse requests. Checking my cc to see if any temp charges are on it

Acceptance email just came through!
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #4575
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    My wife and I just signed up for our first half marathon for April 2022. It's a super easy, flat course around the San Diego Bay, so it seems like a good entry-level race. We're going with a 20-week training plan beginning the first week of December since we pretty much are starting from scratch after the last 2 months were pretty inactive.

I'm mostly excited about having a regime to stick to, which is also going to pay off huge with more focused eating, less drinking, etc.
    Congrats! Totally agree...having a race as an X marks the spot on the calendar makes it so much easier to be good. That said, I'm up 6 or 7 pounds going into a half next weekend. So I guess it didn't work quite as well for me this time around
    Old 10-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #4576
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

10K road race tomorrow afternoon on a course I'm pretty familiar with. Hoping for a PR. Legs are tiredish from marathon training but my cardio has never been better.

Taper for the marathon officially starts Monday!
    Old 10-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #4577
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Congrats! Totally agree...having a race as an X marks the spot on the calendar makes it so much easier to be good. That said, I'm up 6 or 7 pounds going into a half next weekend. So I guess it didn't work quite as well for me this time around
    Thanks! I’d actually be stoked to put on some lbs heading into this. I don’t have much to lose, minus the beer weight I’ve put on.
    Old 10-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #4578
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    10K road race tomorrow afternoon on a course I'm pretty familiar with. Hoping for a PR. Legs are tiredish from marathon training but my cardio has never been better.

Taper for the marathon officially starts Monday!
    Sub 40!

3rd overall. Course was short so I had to keep running to make sure my Garmin PR was under 40. Made it by 1 second
    Old 10-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #4579
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I can't believe this thread is still alive.

I've hit 10 miles three times in the past week and a half, something I haven't done since COVID hit.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #4580
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Got 7th overall this morning in our last park district 5k for the year. Finally won my age group too.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #4581
    buzz05232000
    In Flynn We Trust

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    Got 7th overall this morning in our last park district 5k for the year. Finally won my age group too.

Hell yeah. Get after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.last.fm/user/buzz05232000
    buzz05232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #4582
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sub 40!

3rd overall. Course was short so I had to keep running to make sure my Garmin PR was under 40. Made it by 1 second
    Holy shit! Nice job, Caz! You were flying!
    Old 10-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #4583
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Great run Caz!

So on the week of 10/11 I went out for a run on the roads during the day and had to make it quick because I had a meeting for work coming up, didn't really stretch at all, ran too hard, my left leg which I've had operated on 5X all within a couple inches of each other completely blew up and looked like a tennis ball under my leg. I was freaked out and thinking here we go again with medical procedures, getting fat, whole 9 yards. I stopped running and went to the gym a lot more working on posterior chain, some upper body lifting, a lot of flexibility and yoga type stuff. My leg finally flattened back out and I tried a run yesterday after doing about every stride drill and dynamic stretching thing I could think of, felt better than I have on any other run all year and the fall foliage was like running through a painting. A great run and a bit of a wake up call on cross training and warming up, stuff I know but don't necessarily follow all the time.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #4584
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've got my first race in a few years coming up 10/31. Flying pig half. I did 11 last weekend and felt pretty good after. This will be my first 100 mile month ever, assuming I can squeeze in 3 tomorrow. I need to get in some speed work this month. And a couple more long runs...maybe a 12 and a 13 mile. And then one 8-10 mile run at race pace. Shouldn't have a problem beating my PR of 1:48:13. Stretch goal sub 1:45.
    Perfect running weather. 50 at the start and 53 mostly cloudy at the finish.

Unofficial time: 1:42:48 7:40 pace

Watch time: 13.49 miles 1:42:50 7:37 pace

I’m pretty pleased
    Old 10-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #4585
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I’m pretty pleased
    Very nice. I see sub 1:40 in your future.
    Old 10-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #4586
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Correction…7:51 unofficial pace. First half was 8:02, second half was 7:40.

I think my watch had a little trouble the first 4 miles with so many runners/other GPS devices. Watch was reading 4.25 at the 4 mile marker
    Old 11-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #4587
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

let’s go! longest distance i’ve ever done!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e766fd0c7f.jpg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #4588
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    let’s go! longest distance i’ve ever done!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e766fd0c7f.jpg
    Nice! Solid pace and decent elevation in there.

Aiming to get 3 runs/week this month ahead of starting training beginning in December. Did 4 miles last night, which is the longest run I've done since June. I think it's still in my top 5 longest runs ever lol.

Saw a steady decline in my pace and ended up just over 9 min/mile. I was definitely dogging it the last mile and a half.
    Old 11-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #4589
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sub 40!

that’s fuckin fast !!!!! nice job

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    I can't believe this thread is still alive.

I've hit 10 miles three times in the past week and a half, something I haven't done since COVID hit.
    welcome back
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post

Quote:

I’m pretty pleased

Quote:
    nice- training for anything in particular?
    Old 11-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #4590
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i have a half in two weeks, not sure how it will go. im sort of guessing my target pace based on my last half in 2019, but I was in better speed shape back then. not sure how “slow” to go out and went to pick it up. trying not to overthink it, it’s just a race, and I slacked a little with training. ill be happy if im under 145

either way I think this little training cycle will put me in a good position to grab a sub 140 in the spring