The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #301
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

fuck Art History....personal finance should be a required college course. high school too

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #302
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    fuck Art History....personal finance should be a required college course. high school too
    It really should be. I can think of few other things that could be taught that are more practical to modern living.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #303
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    It really should be. I can think of few other things that could be taught that are more practical to modern living.
    And educate the common man to better himself? Best to leave him in the dark so he can spend, don't want the economy to go dark with $300 million people all saving instead of spending. Might throw a wrench into this nice stock market we have here.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #304
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Isn't the stock market surge really due to company's buying back their own stock?
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #305
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

i get that it is better to start young doing smaller saving than doing nothing at all. but i really think that that message makes younger people not take the responsibility of saving for retirement as seriously as they should. and that has the potential to create bad habits that are very difficult to break.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #306
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Isn't the stock market surge really due to company's buying back their own stock?
    Long term economic growth over the past hundred years has been greatly influenced by consumer spending, which obviously helps businesses. To follow, stock market long term over the past hundred years has also benefited from spending --- the more we spend, the more companies make, the healthier our county is, the more people get paid, and the cycle repeats.

If we had a large shift in sentiment away from spending our hard earned money: the economy, and the stock market, could be greatly hampered. Rather than 8% return per year, if all 300 million Americans are stuffing all their money under their mattress, businesses go under, economic health of our country goes under, stock market returns go under.

Part of the reason you can say that over 40 years of compounding interest, you'll do just fine is that we have an economy that continually grows, even if it's a slow pace in certain decades. If everyone got the memo, there wouldn't be enough of the pie to go around or to profit from.

/cynic

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 02-25-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #307
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    i get that it is better to start young doing smaller saving than doing nothing at all. but i really think that that message makes younger people not take the responsibility of saving for retirement as seriously as they should. and that has the potential to create bad habits that are very difficult to break.
    I don't follow. Parent tells you "save your money Johnny, the more you save now the easier money will be for you later in life!"

So Johnny starts putting $5 away every week in his piggy bank. Over time, he makes more money, keeps saving. Saving becomes just a normal part of life, you pay yourself first, you never see it when you take 10% off the top, and so you never miss it.

It's like getting in shape. If you've always been athletic and involved in sports, working out is easy and just a part of your daily life. If you are 300 pounds and about to make a drastic change in your lifestyle, it's a lot easier to wake up and long for all those calories you used to get after a few months. Hence why just as people diet and then later balloon back, people with bad savings habits that start late, renege on them and splurge after a couple months of saving diligently.

You don't miss something if you never had it to begin with. It's gone on the front end. Your paycheck was already down to $1000 from when you first set up your deductions. You never lived with it at $1400 and had to adjust your lifestyle down. Your lifestyle was setup based on your $1000 paycheck instead.

Methinks Parents learned up Johnny pretty good.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 02-25-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #308
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

i'm talking more about the message we send young workers about what percent they should save for retirement. a lot of things i read say between 3-6%. that's just not enough. especially if you're entry level, you're probably making 40k, 50k if it's a good job. let's say you contribute 3% a year, you are putting less than $2,000 a year into your account. you probably also aren't getting more than a 3% raise a year (if you're lucky).

and i think it's also important to remember that a lot of younger works job-hop frequently. studies show that when you leave a job, particularly if you are young, and you have a low balance in your 401k, you are likely to cash it out.

and even in your post, you started it off with "the more you save". which is exactly my point. we do young employees a disservice by telling them that putting away something is better than nothing. i'm not arguing that that is false - it's not, it's true. but we should be focusing on telling them that they should save more if they can.
    Old 02-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #309
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

let's say you get hired at 50k a year, put in 6% a year, get a 3% raise each year, and receive an annual return of 8%. in 30 years, in today's dollars, you'll have about 460k. that's not even enough to retire on today, let alone 30 years from now.....
    Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #310
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i'm talking more about the message we send young workers about what percent they should save for retirement. a lot of things i read say between 3-6%. that's just not enough. especially if you're entry level, you're probably making 40k, 50k if it's a good job. let's say you contribute 3% a year, you are putting less than $2,000 a year into your account. you probably also aren't getting more than a 3% raise a year (if you're lucky).
    and i think it's also important to remember that a lot of younger works job-hop frequently. studies show that when you leave a job, particularly if you are young

and even in your post, you started it off with "the more you save". which is exactly my point. we do young employees a disservice by telling them that putting away something is better than nothing. i'm not arguing that that is false - it's not, it's true. but we should be focusing on telling them that they should save more if they can.
    First Bold: Who says 3%-6% though? Are you saying we send this message passively as this is the amount that companies match? Otherwise, basically any article you find will advise 10% minimum, 15% better, 20% best. Even using 12th grade level language in google asking what to save, these are your results:

http://money.cnn.com/retirement/guid...mag/index7.htm
    http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...-need-to-save/
    http://moneyfor20s.about.com/od/savi...owmuchsave.htm

Second Bold: Lack of financial education, again, the same problem referenced. Cashing out your 401k = dumb. If young people were taught in high school to always rollover, that problem would be minimized.

Third Bold: I think that's the message given. That's the message I always give young people. Save more. The more the better. In actual financial course workshops and the like, they make this plain as day. The problem again is that this should be taught required in high school.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #311
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Long term economic growth over the past hundred years has been greatly influenced by consumer spending, which obviously helps businesses. To follow, stock market long term over the past hundred years has also benefited from spending --- the more we spend, the more companies make, the healthier our county is, the more people get paid, and the cycle repeats.

If we had a large shift in sentiment away from spending our hard earned money: the economy, and the stock market, could be greatly hampered. Rather than 8% return per year, if all 300 million Americans are stuffing all their money under their mattress, businesses go under, economic health of our country goes under, stock market returns go under.

Part of the reason you can say that over 40 years of compounding interest, you'll do just fine is that we have an economy that continually grows, even if it's a slow pace in certain decades. If everyone got the memo, there wouldn't be enough of the pie to go around or to profit from.

/cynic
    Yeah, I totally get it. I was specifically asking about the past 5-8 years in terms of buybacks. I read an article that basically said a major reason the markets rebounded so quickly is that companies poured profits into buying back stock. While this increased the overall stock market, it simultaneously increases a lot of 1%-ers net worth/bonuses because a lot of that is in stock. The article went on to talk about how this creates even more income inequality as the worker bees don't benefit much from the stock market increase like the HCE's do.
    Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #312
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

im glad we have a mandatory 7.5% contribution, because if we didnt, i probably wouldnt have done more than i had to when I started and didnt know any better
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #313
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't really say that Rog..
    Buybacks have accelerated since the bottom of the recession, but I don't think they are a driver of the equity market..
    Multiple expansion is a huge part of S&P move, investors are willing to hold equities (and chase them), as returns everywhere else (fixed income) are low given rates. Plus QE money flow out is making its way to equity market (at least I think it is)..

Here's a good look at quarterly buy-backs by S&P 500.
    Corporations do a horrible job timing purchases.
    You can see the largest quarterly buy-backs took place at the peak in 2007.

Buy high, don't buy low.
    #corporateamerica
    #averageinvestor

http://www.factset.com/websitefiles/...yback_12.16.14

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post

/cynic

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #314
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    im glad we have a mandatory 7.5% contribution, because if we didnt, i probably wouldnt have done more than i had to when I started and didnt know any better
    Mandatory or that's what they start you at and you can opt out? I think that's kind of a high for a start to be mandatory to be honest. Just my opinion.
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #315
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Buybacks have accelerated since the bottom of the recession, but I don't think they are a driver of the equity market..
    Multiple expansion is a huge part of S&P move, investors are willing to hold equities (and chase them), as returns everywhere else (fixed income) are low given rates. Plus QE money flow out is making its way to equity market (at least I think it is)..

Buy high, don't buy low.
    #corporateamerica
    #averageinvestor
    Okay, I was just going over one article, so not exactly concrete. Thanks, bud!
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #316
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Buy high, don't buy low.
    #corporateamerica
    #averageinvestor

http://www.factset.com/websitefiles/...yback_12.16.14
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #317
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mandatory or that's what they start you at and you can opt out? I think that's kind of a high for a start to be mandatory to be honest. Just my opinion.
    yeah we didnt have a choice. school employees are state employees. i dont know if that has anything to do with it
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #318
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah we didnt have a choice. school employees are state employees. i dont know if that has anything to do with it
    I don't know either. I haven't worked in this industry in over 7 years, so am not as familiar as I used to be. I just thought that 7.5 was a high number and was curious whether it was truly mandatory or not. I know people are often involuntarily started in these type plans but typically they can opt out. I was just wondering if you couldn't opt out. Meaning the 7.5% was truly mandatory.
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #319
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know either. I haven't worked in this industry in over 7 years, so am not as familiar as I used to be. I just thought that 7.5 was a high number and was curious whether it was truly mandatory or not. I know people are often involuntarily started in these type plans but typically they can opt out. I was just wondering if you couldn't opt out. Meaning the 7.5% was truly mandatory.
    yeah as far as i know its mandatory

check out the last page for our employer contributions
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #320
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah as far as i know its mandatory

check out the last page for our employer contributions
    No offense, but I'm not going to check out your ER match.

But, I totally understand the intent of starting people out contgributing to their retirement. Yeah, it was called auto-enrollment!! (sorry, that was eluding me)

Anyway, I'm just so insubordinate. I'd be like "fuck you". Why don't I do what I want with my money and you go fuck off?
    Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #321
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

i for one was glad about the 7.5% mandatory contribution. it comes close to what I'd be able to do in a Roth, and this way I can still contribute to a Roth...plus I'll be vested in June, so if I leave I'll be able to bring all my employer contributions and do what i want with it
    Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #322
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i for one was glad about the 7.5% mandatory contribution. it comes close to what I'd be able to do in a Roth, and this way I can still contribute to a Roth...plus I'll be vested in June, so if I leave I'll be able to bring all my employer contributions and do what i want with it
    Yeah, well you definitely want to take advantage of the match regardless of anything else.
    Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #323
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

our match is really insane
    Old 02-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #324
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    our match is really insane
    That's awesome and explains why you'd be very pro mandatory contributions. Or, at least partially explain as it's a decent idea to begin with. I'm not against it but I hope people can opt out if they really think it's necessary. I think, back in the day, the auto-enrollment was 2-1.5% and people could opt out. (Not that they should.) 7.5% is kind of high to be mandatory, imo.
    Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #325
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yeah i def hear what you're saying, im just happy it works for me...since that money has come out since day 1, ive never factored that into my budget, which means its not missed at all. if i continue teaching for another 30 years and hit a final avg salary of $80k (our final averages are taken by dividing the 3 highest-salaried years), i'll have about $1.8mm in my psers account
    Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #326
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    let's say you get hired at 50k a year, put in 6% a year, get a 3% raise each year, and receive an annual return of 8%. in 30 years, in today's dollars, you'll have about 460k. that's not even enough to retire on today, let alone 30 years from now.....
    while your numbers are true, you don't assume a company match in addition to your 8% RoR.

that 460k in 30 years, with a 6% company match every year, and your numbers yields ~$835k in 30 years

Last edited by unccrombie; 02-26-2015 at 06:20 AM.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #327
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

what would warren buffett do

WWWBD

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #328
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what would warren buffett do

WWWBD
    eat a buffet to save cash, honestly.
    Old 02-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #329
    dpresti

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Need some advice guys. I have some debts that I want to pay off.
    Here they are:

student loan - 14,209 @ 3.125%
    irs payment plan - 10,324 @ 0.05%
    car - 13,596 @ 3.75%

Logic would tell me to pay down the student loan or car first. I've got enough cash to pay off one right now. What would you guys do, how would you plan this out?
    I want my only debt to be my house, and I think i'll be keeping my car for a long time. 2010, with 55k on it.

thanks guys
    Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #330
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpresti View Post
    Need some advice guys. I have some debts that I want to pay off.
    Here they are:

student loan - 14,209 @ 3.125%
    irs payment plan - 10,324 @ 0.05%
    car - 13,596 @ 3.75%

Logic would tell me to pay down the student loan or car first. I've got enough cash to pay off one right now. What would you guys do, how would you plan this out?
    I want my only debt to be my house, and I think i'll be keeping my car for a long time. 2010, with 55k on it.

thanks guys
    car
    irs
    student

student loans are deductible, the other 2 are not. work your way down from highest interest rate.

pay off the car immediately...like now as you said.

Last edited by unccrombie; 02-26-2015 at 07:25 AM.