Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #151
Jamima2fl
Take me Back...

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr201 View Post
Was there ever a confirmed reason why Butch Taylor got the boot? His era of DMB live is my favorite
He wasn't booted...
Jamima2fl is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #152
    nyr201

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    ive been called out as being 100% wrong, convincingly as well
    so this is my guess that has been likely proven wrong but i say 100% money related
    people say otherwise,
    but playing
    Money (pink floyd) > Money (thats what i want)
    in the first show without Butch, which was announced only the day before was telling imo

I was at that show and remember thinking it was odd. That would be so petty though.

Anyway. I wonder if all this background information gathering Norlander has been doing is giving him inspiration to write a book about the band. I would certainly read it. A Dave memoir after the band calls it quits would be wonderful as well but I'm not quite ready for that...
    nyr201 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #153
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

the culture and gun conversation was super interesting to me as a facet as to why things fell apart. also dave's drinking...

had the band and steve not lived together when they made UTTAD and Crash? seems weird that the gun thing would happen on their 3rd album recording together.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #154
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Boyd is doing nothing, he should be interviewed for insights.

in 60 second cameos at a time.
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #155
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauford3641 View Post
    From what I heard, and I'm not sure if this is what actually happened or not, he was a bit too friendly with some of the groupies of the band, which turned into a whole situation. If this is indeed true, I can see that being an enormous distraction and pain in the ass.

This is the story I remember coming out at the time too. His fun time with the groupies got back to Mrs Taylor who basically told him, "if you go back on tour with DMB, I won't be here when you get home."
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #156
    BigWhiskey1855
    Shake Me Like a Monkey!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    the culture and gun conversation was super interesting to me as a facet as to why things fell apart. also dave's drinking...

had the band and steve not lived together when they made UTTAD and Crash? seems weird that the gun thing would happen on their 3rd album recording together.
    Sounds like Steve quit drinking between those early album sessions and TLWS as it's mentioned that Harris had replaced him as Dave's drinking buddy.

I imagine the whole playing outdoors wasn't as big of a deal on other studio sessions and that's why the gun issue came up here. They were back in Virginia where they could do outdoorsy things like trail riding and shooting.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Nashville '19, Deer Creek '21, Denver '21, Huntsville '22, Jacksonville '22, Deer Creek '22, Denver '22, Southaven '23, Nashville '23, Deer Creek '23
    BigWhiskey1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #157
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Man I thought Lillywhite’s episode would be the most revealing/enlightening but it was absolutely both conversations with Steve Harris. Just awesome getting his fresh perspective on such a crazy time in the bands history. What a great listen for any big fan!
    Old 06-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #158
    BOTRNewmusic

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyr201 View Post
    I was at that show and remember thinking it was odd. That would be so petty though.

Anyway. I wonder if all this background information gathering Norlander has been doing is giving him inspiration to write a book about the band. I would certainly read it. A Dave memoir after the band calls it quits would be wonderful as well but I'm not quite ready for that...
    i think what i learned most from this series is that there are alot of people loyal to dave, or that might have been loyal at one point with decades of stories to tell.

once the levee breaks and people start talking, all bets are off.

it wont be dave, but imo being a hardcore dmb fan in the coming decade will be alot of revisiting the past / learning alot that was previously unknown from sources not named DM
    12/15/95, 6/9/96, 10/4/96, 12/30/96, 6/10/97, 6/11/97, 5/29/98, 6/7/98, 7/31/98, 8/1/98, 11/21/98, 12/2/98, 12/3/98, 12/5/98, 5/20-21-22/99, 5/25/99, 5/26/99, 8/3/99, 8/4/99, 8/6-7-8/99, 7/12/00, 12/5/00, 4/21/01, 5/26-27/01, 6/11-12-13/01, 4/5/02, 9/6/03, 9/24/03, 7/21/04, 10/1/04, 5/9/05, 6/18/05, 7/30-31/05, 12/9/05, 12/10/05, 6/16/06, 6/27-28/06, 7/28-29/06, 8/5-6/06, 7/7/07, 8/1/07, 8/4/07
    BOTRNewmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #159
    theflower

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I had never listened to a podcast before these three, and didn't even have the podcast app. after figuring out why my phone's storage was all of a sudden gone (the podcast app downloaded 200 full length pods and then backed them up), I supremely enjoyed these. what a great listen with lots of interesting tidbits.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #160
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

How about that tidbit towards the end that Steve Harris has heard Machead fairly recently? It sounded to me like he was hinting that Rodrigo created some documentary type thing, perhaps related to a BTCS anniversary release of some kind, and that Machead was in it.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #161
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

pretty wild that carter almost left the band right before busted stuff. wasn't he pretty frustrated with how they made everyday?

Quote:
    Old 06-17-2022, 02:30 PM   #162
    maddoc75

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Funny how Dave thinks everyone goes to their concerts just to party when most people on here go to listen to the music and hear rare tracks. I know were the minority when it comes to this but there are fans who care and are not just there to party.
    maddoc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #163
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    This is the story I remember coming out at the time too. His fun time with the groupies got back to Mrs Taylor who basically told him, "if you go back on tour with DMB, I won't be here when you get home."
    Yep, this is how I remember it. There was a roadie somewhere - maybe Nancies? - who said "I can't say what it is, but it's hilarious" or something to that effect

I believe the official statement from the band either stated or heavily implied that he left on his own accord.

I do wonder if there's something to the money stuff, though. Tim was announced as joining the tour before he bailed. Perhaps Tim negotiated a higher rate and Butch caught wind of it?
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #164
    Typical_Ant

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigWhiskey1855 View Post
    Sounds like Steve quit drinking between those early album sessions and TLWS as it's mentioned that Harris had replaced him as Dave's drinking buddy.

I imagine the whole playing outdoors wasn't as big of a deal on other studio sessions and that's why the gun issue came up here. They were back in Virginia where they could do outdoorsy things like trail riding and shooting.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I listened to these but was distracted at times.. what gun thing are you referring to?
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #165
    Robio

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maddoc75 View Post
    Funny how Dave thinks everyone goes to their concerts just to party when most people on here go to listen to the music and hear rare tracks. I know were the minority when it comes to this but there are fans who care and are not just there to party.
    I don’t go just to party. I also go to try and get laid. I would hate it if Dave was to judge me as doing otherwise.
    Robio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 04:46 AM   #166
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    Old School fan here just chiming in with a few things after listening to the interview...

It was not mentioned on the episode , but the original plan of Dave/Glen Ballard was for Glen to bring a new energy to what we now know as the Lillywhite Sessions. As luck/chance would have it, just so happened they meshed very well together and wrote 14 songs (12 on Everyday, You Never Know, and one more unknown). The plan at first was not originally to scrap the songs, but rather the producer (steve)

But something else I wanted to mention,
    There has been some HEAVY flip flopping on the bands opinions in the DMB (Roi era).
    Lillywhite hinted as early as 96 of dave feeling like maybe doing it on his own would be better, and going on record in 09 talking about the 06 breakup that was never reported..

Also,
    Specifically going on record during the Everyday PR tour as slamming the Lillywhite Sessions vibe and Dave even went so far as to say this album saved both the band and his life. (everyday)... Stefan and Carter both praised the new method of flying to LA and laying down already written tracks, Boyd praised the new sound Ballard had on the violin and then during the BUSTED STUFF press tour, they say how Everyday sucked, it didnt work and breathing new life into these songs from the Lillywhite Sessions at a later date was wonderous.
    Then for the Stand Up press tour it was all about the cancerous time in the studio and how they finally returned to Batson, this amazing producer that had them writing as Carter put it, "songs you can play in a club" (lol)...
    Then for the Big Whiskey tour, it was about how the previous albums were DMB with Ballard, or DMB with Batson etc... and now it was return to form..

Bottom Line is this... theres alot of turmoil that clearly went on all these years. the stories to come out of this world once those who choose to betray Dave might be glorious.
    In fact, if I was Matt Norlander, I would call Boyd and try and get him on for a multi-part series, Glen Ballard the same.. Butch Taylor of course... Just so many names with so many stories that once they choose to tell, it will likely get dark very quickly.

Just my opinion...
    The main takeaway here is that DMB must be a huge PITA to work with in the studio. DMB and producers are like this old adage: If you think everyone you encounter is an asshole, maybe YOU are the asshole.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #167
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    The main takeaway here is that DMB must be a huge PITA to work with in the studio. DMB and producers are like this old adage: If you think everyone you encounter is an asshole, maybe YOU are the asshole.
    Remember the clip of big whiskey when cavallo said he thought “this was going to be hard music” prior to coming in the studio with them? Probably was told that by his peers. I’m sure he feels that way now after the most recent aborted sessions they had.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 04:52 AM   #168
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

It's almost like DMB has talked highly of each album they've released when releasing it, shocking stuff
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 06:49 AM   #169
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I haven’t read the comments on this thread quite yet because I’m still listening to it as we speak, but my take away so far is that Matt Norlander is screaming half the time while interviewing Lillywhite. And Lillywhite tho interesting and otherwise a pretty good ole chap, as one bitter curmudgeon motherfucker.
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #170
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

If you keep up with Lillywhite, this is stuff he's gone over before, although yes there are some newer details speckled in. He had a radio show or podcast a decade or so back where he opened up about this stuff and a lot of that is gone over here. This, however, is a good full scope roundup of it and I especially like them going track by track.

All the fresher material for this comes in the Harris interview (parts 1 & 3).
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #171
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    I haven’t read the comments on this thread quite yet because I’m still listening to it as we speak, but my take away so far is that Matt Norlander is screaming half the time while interviewing Lillywhite. And Lillywhite tho interesting and otherwise a pretty good ole chap, as one bitter curmudgeon motherfucker.
    Matt definitely has a tendency to raise his voice when he wants to finish a thought/question

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #172
    Lynchmobb41

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    How about that tidbit towards the end that Steve Harris has heard Machead fairly recently? It sounded to me like he was hinting that Rodrigo created some documentary type thing, perhaps related to a BTCS anniversary release of some kind, and that Machead was in it.
    Seems like the majority missed this, but holy crap this is a big deal. This "unreleased documentary" has a clip of Machead over a montage of BTCS studio footage. This is the best DMB news I've heard in a long time. Hopefully they release it. 🙏
    Lynchmobb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #173
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 View Post
    Seems like the majority missed this, but holy crap this is a big deal. This "unreleased documentary" has a clip of Machead over a montage of BTCS studio footage. This is the best DMB news I've heard in a long time. Hopefully they release it. 🙏
    Maybe they’ll do a box set for BTCS 25th or 30th and include this type of footage
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #174
    NatCH

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Maybe they’ll do a box set for BTCS 25th or 30th and include this type of footage
    Don’t even suggest that. Ugh.
    Old 08-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #175
    notorious v.i.g

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    this thread is jogging some memories for me. all of this was rumor at the time, but carsons post about dave/the band being managed and not having control made me think about it and maybe he has some details.

it was around the some devil/2004 sessions but there were rumors about their rca contract being up and fulfilling what was left on the contract. at that time the rumors were one fulfillment was a solo album and another was a greatest hits album, and there was speculation then that once they wrapped that stuff up they were gonna switch labels. the post about being managed made me think of this and maybe that was some of the cause of these rumors. was any of that true or did it have any weight to it? if so what made them resign with them?
    I definitely remember hearing these rumors at the time but how it affected everything on this thread i'm not sure. And yeh they wound up re-signing anyway. Damn this thread is interesting i'm glad i finally got a chance to read it.
    Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
    notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #176
    notorious v.i.g

My Tour Central Stats

Couple things i noticed while listening to these interviews and reading through all this:
    *Definitely listen to the 2 BTCS interviews with SL.
    -Talked about Mac Head in some detail (it was left in his storage unit in Indonesia which he stopped paying for)
    -Also talked about how much respect he had for Stefan partically since he was 17 at the time of the 1st album.
    -Also talked about how he had to handle Boyd differently, he didn't understand certain things (so i'm sure he thought boyd was the weakest link and not Stefan)

As far as the LWS interviews he mentions how the band had remixed the original crash album and because of that he was shocked he got asked to produce BTCS. I found this interesting since apparently the same thing happened with AAFTW? This whole thing is so crazy.

Last edited by notorious v.i.g; 08-10-2022 at 04:18 PM.
    Old 08-11-2022, 07:00 AM   #177
    notorious v.i.g

My Tour Central Stats

It didn't sound to me like Glen Ballard had anything to do with YKN (thankfully) or even the reworking of Captain. So not sure where that came from or why he is even thanked in the liner notes. Maybe something to do with WAYG?
    Old 08-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #178
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i was under the impression YNK was worked with Ballard, maybe not the final version- but there were other songs before it was YNK that i assumed one or more of these was worked on with Ballard in some writing sessions- and then later on Dave just combined them into what YNK is today
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #179
    notorious v.i.g

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    i was under the impression YNK was worked with Ballard, maybe not the final version- but there were other songs before it was YNK that i assumed one or more of these was worked on with Ballard in some writing sessions- and then later on Dave just combined them into what YNK is today
    Harris made it sound like the whole song came about in 1 day. He was real proud of that one. But yeh i do remember early name 'Counting Stars' as well so that may have already existed in some form.

Tags
    busted stuff , lillywhite sessions , podcasts , steve lillywhite , studio albums