what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #151
#40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
Boyds not coming back, i think people need to understand this.

You can tell with the clips already shared, theres more videos/ photos on youtube behind the scenes of boyd being nowhere to be found. Think theres a fan video on youtube of someone asking Dave where boyd is and his response seems annoyed along the lines of "we dont see boyd until the show"

I mean put yourself in the band members shoes. Everyone is having some camaradarie preshow hanging out, and then you have Boyd who is completely disengaged- and when the actual show does come, hes missing cues/ solos/ integral parts of songs on top of not hanging out with anyone. It seems he probably was going through the motions

All this stuff probably built up for years, and then the #metoo accusations was just the nail in the coffin at that point.

Boyd was seemingly more of a burden/ liability the last 10 years he was in the band, and now that hes gone its probably very refreshing and a burden lifted for the rest of the band.
i remember the big whiskey documentary where they're backstage and at some point they say "we're waiting for BT" and he shows up as they walk on stage and dave updated him on what key they are playing in today

that youtube clip of YMDT from '12 is very revealing on how long they've been frustrated with him and to their credit showed him patience.

one thing to think of is, was there pre 08 vibes that boyd wasn't into it anymore...cause you can take tim coming back into the band as a sign of we need more on stage and we're not getting it from boyd.
#40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #152
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish View Post
    i remember the big whiskey documentary where they're backstage and at some point they say "we're waiting for BT" and he shows up as they walk on stage and dave updated him on what key they are playing in today

that youtube clip of YMDT from '12 is very revealing on how long they've been frustrated with him and to their credit showed him patience.

one thing to think of is, was there pre 08 vibes that boyd wasn't into it anymore...cause you can take tim coming back into the band as a sign of we need more on stage and we're not getting it from boyd.
    I don't think Tim coming back had any correlation to Boyd... This was still before Roi passed away.. Early 2008 the entire band was on fire.. Playing out of their minds. Boyd included... Boyd liked Tim as well. I don't think this was any knock on him.. There's a few interviews from Boyd discussing Tim's role in the early days of the band and how much of an important factor he was in those days and recording sessions..

I think Boyd fed off Roi.. They had a unique chemistry together and Roi really led him and pushed him to be his best... I think they had the kind of friendship that Dave and Carter do.. The way they used to weave those parts together was pretty incredible.. and unique... THAT's the sound I miss. Boyd and Roi together on songs like Seek Up and Typical even Ants... You'll never recapture that with any iteration of musicians..

Once Roi passed there was a noticeable difference in Boyd's onstage presence and playing.. And the fact that he didn't show up to much of the Big Whiskey sessions and was out doing his Crystal Gardens and Movie thing.. might be the biggest indicator that he wanted out at that time but likely felt obligated to continue.... So to your point.. Due to Boyd not being around in the studio AND having Tim back.. a lot of the solo sections of that album ended up being guitar parts... Either Dave or Tim.. I would imagine Dave had ideas for Boyd and when he wasn't there just said fuck it, I'll play the solo on these songs..

2009 seemed like the beginning of Boyd only playing on his solos... and not really contributing the rest of the show.. He'd wind up like a toy for Seek Up, Ants, LIOG.. and the rest of the show bow his head in the dark.. Live in Europe is a big representation of that.

2011 was when I really noticed it.. The Gorge Caravan he looked like he didn't even want to be on stage.. People that are nowhere as big of fans as I asked me what was wrong with him.. We were in the PIT for all 3 of those shows so we got to see his face and everything.. He just looked gone... But when it was his turn to solo... He would light up and do his thing and then go back to his corner... 2010 Gorge they busted out I Did It and he missed his vocal cue completely.. Like he forgot he had a part there.. And I'm sure they rehearsed it because it had been many years..

Compare THAT Boyd to say Listener Supported and you have to wonder what happened.

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 08-26-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #153
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

The only song that I feel I really miss Boyd on is Dancing Nancies, I think Buddy brings enough to compensate for losing Boyd on everything else. It might be an unpopular opinion, but I love what Buddy brings to the stage...he's very talented, versatile, and you can tell he really wants to be there and have fun. I think musically, his keys can fill in decently, but nothing compared to seeing Boyd do his thing on Dancing Nancies getting the crowd fired up.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #154
    spiza

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    I don't think Tim coming back had any correlation to Boyd... This was still before Roi passed away.. Early 2008 the entire band was on fire.. Playing out of their minds. Boyd included... Boyd liked Tim as well. I don't think this was any knock on him.. There's a few interviews from Boyd discussing Tim's role in the early days of the band and how much of an important factor he was in those days and recording sessions..

I think Boyd fed off Roi.. They had a unique chemistry together and Roi really led him and pushed him to be his best... I think they had the kind of friendship that Dave and Carter do.. The way they used to weave those parts together was pretty incredible.. and unique... THAT's the sound I miss. Boyd and Roi together on songs like Seek Up and Typical even Ants... You'll never recapture that with any iteration of musicians..

Once Roi passed there was a noticeable difference in Boyd's onstage presence and playing.. And the fact that he didn't show up to much of the Big Whiskey sessions and was out doing his Crystal Gardens and Movie thing.. might be the biggest indicator that he wanted out at that time but likely felt obligated to continue.... So to your point.. Due to Boyd not being around in the studio AND having Tim back.. a lot of the solo sections of that album ended up being guitar parts... Either Dave or Tim.. I would imagine Dave had ideas for Boyd and when he wasn't there just said fuck it, I'll play the solo on these songs..

2009 seemed like the beginning of Boyd only playing on his solos... and not really contributing the rest of the show.. He'd wind up like a toy for Seek Up, Ants, LIOG.. and the rest of the show bow his head in the dark.. Live in Europe is a big representation of that.

2011 was when I really noticed it.. The Gorge Caravan he looked like he didn't even want to be on stage.. People that are nowhere as big of fans as I asked me what was wrong with him.. We were in the PIT for all 3 of those shows so we got to see his face and everything.. He just looked gone... But when it was his turn to solo... He would light up and do his thing and then go back to his corner... 2010 Gorge they busted out I Did It and he missed his vocal cue completely.. Like he forgot he had a part there.. And I'm sure they rehearsed it because it had been many years..

Compare THAT Boyd to say Listener Supported and you have to wonder what happened.
    I agree with Boyd and Roi there were absolutely incredible together. That I Did It in 2011 he did do his rap but his Mic was not turned on.
    spiza is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #155
    Jack7238

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    The only song that I feel I really miss Boyd on is Dancing Nancies, I think Buddy brings enough to compensate for losing Boyd on everything else. It might be an unpopular opinion, but I love what Buddy brings to the stage...he's very talented, versatile, and you can tell he really wants to be there and have fun. I think musically, his keys can fill in decently, but nothing compared to seeing Boyd do his thing on Dancing Nancies getting the crowd fired up.
    Billies
    Lie in our graves
    Ants
    Old 08-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #156
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post

Always felt very similar to this. Also, I remember after the first couple 09 shows people came here posting that Boyd didn’t seem his usual self and seemed to attribute that to Roi’s passing. I recall some saying he mostly stayed in one spot and didn’t really move around a lot during solos. At the time I think the feeling was that he was still bummed about Roi and he’d pull it together as the tour progressed. That was right at the start of 2009, so the decline was gradual, but once it hit it was bad. I first noticed him being a bit off in 2010. I forget what song it was but they did some liberations that tour and I remember Boyd wasn’t playing his usual parts. Then things started to change in other songs that year. For example, he completely changed how he played the chorus during Big Eyed Fish. For some reason that stuck out to me as odd because it wasn’t some new interesting part he was playing. I noticed it a bit more in 2011, as some more songs came back like Captain and from videos you could see he wasn’t even playing. Then 2012 hit and that’s when it got real bad with the muting and missed parts. So sad.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #157
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

anyone know what happened to Boyd and his family after the fallout of all of this? he has a wife and two kids and he sold his house, is he estranged / separated from them all now?
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #158
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone know what happened to Boyd and his family after the fallout of all of this? he has a wife and two kids and he sold his house, is he estranged / separated from them all now?

I don't want to sound like an ass, but is his personal life really important here? It shouldn't matter whats going on with his family. We can only hope that he's taking care of himself. Lets leave the really personal stuff alone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #159
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty easy to find info on almost anyone on the internet. I'm not here to share personal details but if it pertains to music on a message board about a band I feel it's fine.

Boyd has a son named Noah who performs under the name Mr. After

On the music front, Elie Bashkow and Noah Tinsley (aka Mr. After), both 2018 Tandem alums, just dropped the single 'Globes,' which they wrote and recorded together. The song is "about being stuck at home while there’s an enormous, bizarre, and interesting world outside and wondering what’s going on in it."

It's a pretty laid-back song. I get a Mac DeMarco vibe from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUe...U1qKqLlv8cFeqM
    Old 08-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #160
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Always felt very similar to this. Also, I remember after the first couple 09 shows people came here posting that Boyd didn’t seem his usual self and seemed to attribute that to Roi’s passing. I recall some saying he mostly stayed in one spot and didn’t really move around a lot during solos. At the time I think the feeling was that he was still bummed about Roi and he’d pull it together as the tour progressed. That was right at the start of 2009, so the decline was gradual, but once it hit it was bad. I first noticed him being a bit off in 2010. I forget what song it was but they did some liberations that tour and I remember Boyd wasn’t playing his usual parts. Then things started to change in other songs that year. For example, he completely changed how he played the chorus during Big Eyed Fish. For some reason that stuck out to me as odd because it wasn’t some new interesting part he was playing. I noticed it a bit more in 2011, as some more songs came back like Captain and from videos you could see he wasn’t even playing. Then 2012 hit and that’s when it got real bad with the muting and missed parts. So sad.
    This makes a lot of sense, contextually. It is quite possible that the loss of Roi was a catalyst for the progressive decline, if substance use was how he coped with it.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #161
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JXPFNR_GVE

First comment: "It's not alcohol or drugs, he's heavily medicated. Pray and judge not. I love you Uncle."

I hope he's doing better.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #162
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

https://twitter.com/bt_dmb/status/14...001765889?s=21 first tweet since November 2020. Looks like he also updated his Twitter bio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #163
    TypicalBilly14

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    https://twitter.com/bt_dmb/status/14...001765889?s=21 first tweet since November 2020. Looks like he also updated his Twitter bio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what's so strange is Artie Lange just posted too, first time since Nov 2020 as Norm just passed.

https://twitter.com/artiequitter
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #164
    twostep665

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Jeff, Fonz, Tim and Raab still follow him on Twitter. Hopefully they keep in touch and check on him
    Old 09-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #165
    watsonbriant
    Completionist

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Here’s his bio for anyone not on twitter. His joke about rocking our socks off is in semi-poor taste IMO. Prayers go out to him.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 6CAF32A4-68D8-4FE4-81C9-239BD319F907.jpg (68.6 KB, 154 views)
    Old 09-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #166
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

POS.

8characters.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #167
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watsonbriant View Post
    Here’s his bio for anyone not on twitter. His joke about rocking our socks off is in semi-poor taste IMO. Prayers go out to him.
    Rashawn is outlandish for not being on all the time with fans and this guy gets a free pass because he was in the standard five and brought the energy on stage by prancercising all over it?
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #168
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hahninator View Post
    pos.

8characters.

?

TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #169
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

These…are not the actions of someone who is maintaining sobriety
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #170
    Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    These…are not the actions of someone who is maintaining sobriety

Exactly. Dude was on film dipping out while performing a DMB song with an opportunist guitar player, posting bizarre stories on IG while driving, and looking all sorts of fucked up at Tennis games from ‘18 to ‘20. Now this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watsonbriant View Post

Can’t believe he updated his bio to that. To draw attention to allegations like that on a semi-permanent basis via social media is wild.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #171
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

My Tour Central Stats

You don't go quiet for three years and then say you're going to fight back... lol #Guilty
    lilant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #172
    DEMITRI

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

His posts are so erotic I mean erratic
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #173
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

You guys just need someone to vent your hatred on and so you choose Boyd who is not even in the band now. Still waiting for when one of you gets the guts to turn your frustration to Dave for a change. Pathetic, really. Leave Boyd alone. He's the easy target as of now, obviously. It shows how weak you are targeting him. Bugger off.
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #174
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

8nalive is Boyd Tinsley.
    Old 09-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #175
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    You guys just need someone to vent your hatred on and so you choose Boyd who is not even in the band now. Still waiting for when one of you gets the guts to turn your frustration to Dave for a change. Pathetic, really. Leave Boyd alone. He's the easy target as of now, obviously. It shows how weak you are targeting him. Bugger off.
    No one ever approached Boyd (I don’t remember) with their panoply of grievances, because us hardcores knew Boyd wasn’t involved with shit, songwriting or writing set lists. If people did approach Dave that way, yikes.
    Old 09-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #176
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

that tweet/bio are something, Boyd is not well
    Old 09-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #177
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like his updated Twitter bio may be referring to this forum in some way, tbh. Where else are people making sock jokes about the former violinist of Dave Matthews Band, who hasn’t been on a DMB stage since 2017??
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #178
    Nick11dx

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

I have this feeling now that he has sobered up, he is realizing everything that has actually occurred and is now truly living with it.

Tumble Teez - Goose Lot Shirts
    https://www.instagram.com/tumbleteez/
    Nick11dx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #179
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    I feel like his updated Twitter bio may be referring to this forum in some way, tbh. Where else are people making sock jokes about the former violinist of Dave Matthews Band, who hasn’t been on a DMB stage since 2017??
    if Boyd is on these boards then god help him
    Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #180
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Dude, enough.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote