what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #31
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
What I would hope everyone would takeaway from this is that no one should EVER make assumptions that what things look like on the surface is also what is going on behind the scenes- with ANY band. It is almost ALWAYS more complicated than it looks like on the surface.

I feel like Facebook has taught that over and over again on a normal, non-celebrity level, in that most people only put the good stuff and highlights out there, but then you find out the couple with perfect looking children who are always smiling in vacation pictures were like selling human organs on the black market or something. Seriously, when humans are involved, there is likely PLENTY going on behind the public face that most people have no clue about.

Then add fame, money, power and being surrounded by yes men and yes women and you have the recipe for... complicated dynamics. And often serious falls from grace.

So I understand when you just don't imagine things are bad, then being really disappointed to find out how complicated or dysfunctional they were. But maybe know now that no one knows what's not obvious, but also no one should assume that just because we don't see problems, there aren't any. Or there aren't any deep problems.

And I guess I'll also add to this viewpoint to the above comment:

So, totally unrelated to DMB, I was friends with another band for years, and then they broke up, and then an author who was also a long-time friend of the same band was writing a book about them and someone told him to contact me. We spent about 8 hours in total over 2 days walking around that band's town, talking about them. There were the official interview questions, and then there were a LOT of "off the record" exchanges between us (because we both knew them well) where I found out that as much as I knew was dysfunctional about the band, I found out SO MUCH MORE that was even more deeply crazy than I knew. I also didn't tell the author the super private stuff I knew, because I felt like those things were for the band members themselves to share or not share. And I'm sure there's plenty he didn't tell me. But he told me a lot of what he was finding out from the interviews, probably because he knew I'd never breathe a word of it to anyone.

And just to be clear, this is a group of truly awesome humans, they are brilliant and talented and good people mostly. And still... incredibly dramatic stuff happening over the years.

When the book came out, a lot of people in their camp were upset about it, even though all the info came from them, their friends, their management, and their families. AND... as upset as they were, I just kept thinking "Really? You're upset about what was published? How about being grateful for all the shit that was NOT published!"

Not gonna say the name of the band because they truly have NOTHING to do with DMB, but I guess I just share all that as an example of just how deeply complicated things can be behind the scenes, to the point that even people behind the scenes with them can find out there is even more, further behind the scenes that was totally not known.

So I totally get being sad, or disappointed, and definitely get being surprised to find out about drama behidn the scenes with members of DMB. But maybe take away that indeed, you just never ever know what all is going on behidn the scenes with anyone. No matter how happy or together or chill a group of people seems or you find them to be when you meet them.

Don't make any assumptions, just appreciate what you know is good/great about them and chalk the rest up to "I'll react when I find out" or "TBD".

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 08-21-2021 at 07:05 PM.
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #32
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Here is what we do know about Boyd. He is a creep and somewhat of a predator.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #33
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    He's very erotic.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #34
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

He was active on Cameo pretty recently.

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #35
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if any member of the band pays any attention to the state of Boyd - at min what we all can infer from public appearance. Between his recent two man band effort to his activity on cameo… they would have to have some sympathy for their former band mate and brother, right? While they tour and record new songs, enjoying life - the contrast in lives lived is stark. Or maybe they are happy for him making his own way.
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #36
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So, totally unrelated to DMB, I was friends with another band for years, and then they broke up, and then an author who was also a long-time friend of the same band was writing a book about them and someone told him to contact me. We spent about 8 hours in total over 2 days walking around that band's town, talking about them. There were the official interview questions, and then there were a LOT of "off the record" exchanges between us (because we both knew them well) where I found out that as much as I knew was dysfunctional about the band, I found out SO MUCH MORE that was even more deeply crazy than I knew. I also didn't tell the author the super private stuff I knew, because I felt like those things were for the band members themselves to share or not share. And I'm sure there's plenty he didn't tell me. But he told me a lot of what he was finding out from the interviews, probably because he knew I'd never breathe a word of it to anyone.

And just to be clear, this is a group of truly awesome humans, they are brilliant and talented and good people mostly. And still... incredibly dramatic stuff happening over the years.

When the book came out, a lot of people in their camp were upset about it, even though all the info came from them, their friends, their management, and their families. AND... as upset as they were, I just kept thinking "Really? You're upset about what was published? How about being grateful for all the shit that was NOT published!"

Not gonna say the name of the band because they truly have NOTHING to do with DMB, but I guess I just share all that as an example of just how deeply complicated things can be behind the scenes, to the point that even people behind the scenes with them can find out there is even more, further behind the scenes that was totally not known.

So I totally get being sad, or disappointed, and definitely get being surprised to find out about drama behidn the scenes with members of DMB. But maybe take away that indeed, you just never ever know what all is going on behidn the scenes with anyone. No matter how happy or together or chill a group of people seems or you find them to be when you meet them.

Don't make any assumptions, just appreciate what you know is good/great about them and chalk the rest up to "I'll react when I find out" or "TBD".
    Yikes. Sounds like a band we would all know if they had any kind of book written on them.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #37
    RainDog1980

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd
    Let’s start with what YOU know about playing the violin, because saying “nothing” was wrong with his playing raises a lot of questions. It came to a point where he couldn’t play without noticeable issue.

Then there is the fact that his solos were just repetitions up and down modes of the key of the song, something an intermediate player of any instrument can do. Being able to pick up the violin and play the thing you know on a handful of songs doesn’t make you a talented violinist. It means you have a few tricks up your sleeve, that mixed with theatrics, made him a good fit.

That’s not to say he isn’t a good musician. There are many aspects to it, and he was a tight part of the band. His timing, etc. all great. You can’t play with people like he did and not be a pro. But understanding theory and all that doesn’t mean a thing if you do not have complete mastery over your playing, and he did not. Not even close. That’s a well documented fact.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #38
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    Let’s start with what YOU know about playing the violin, because saying “nothing” was wrong with his playing raises a lot of questions. It came to a point where he couldn’t play without noticeable issue.

Then there is the fact that his solos were just repetitions up and down modes of the key of the song, something an intermediate player of any instrument can do. Being able to pick up the violin and play the thing you know on a handful of songs doesn’t make you a talented violinist. It means you have a few tricks up your sleeve, that mixed with theatrics, made him a good fit.

That’s not to say he isn’t a good musician. There are many aspects to it, and he was a tight part of the band. His timing, etc. all great. You can’t play with people like he did and not be a pro. But understanding theory and all that doesn’t mean a thing if you do not have complete mastery over your playing, and he did not. Not even close. That’s a well documented fact.
    The overwhelming majority of audience members at a DMB show don't possess a modicum of violin acumen and are unable to recognize Boyd's musical limitations; all they see is a badass dude with dreadlocks absolutely shredding on a instrument that's typically not utilized in this type of musical setting. To the untrained ear, his simple solos sound awesome and like an example of a harder "rock violin" sound. If you put a virtuoso like Joshua Bell on stage with DMB, he would undoubtedly play more complex and melodic solos than Boyd but I bet casual fans would lambaste him and criticize his playing for sounding "too classical" or "not energetic enough." To most DMB fans, Boyd is a killer violinist because they know nothing about the violin. People can recognize adroit and average guitar playing because so much music features the guitar, they're naïve when it comes to the violin though. When you know nothing about the instrument, Boyd seems like an absolute God compared to the asshole you saw playing violin at a mainstream country show. By being significantly inferior to other professional violinists, Boyd is is able to seem unique to some listeners since he's playing a simple style that most skilled violin players never replicate in their live performances.
    Old 08-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #39
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I feel like I remember hearing missteps even from early tapes when I was younger. I know nothing about the violin - but Boyd was never really what I listened for, although I did appreciate his additions to songs like dancing nancies and liog. his ability to work within the tempo and rhythm, and thus "strum" his violin (i don't know what you call moving the bow back and forth) in a number of different ways within the rhythm always seemed pretty decent. it was his ability at times to produce the correct note and have it be a quality sound. note and quality of sound. This issue seemed to get worse with time, which then seemed to lead to him limiting his solos and their range, and eventually limited his playing altogether to where his contributions were plucks of a few notes. it was bizarre to me. in my mind, which means nothing, it appeared as if he gave up. some people said he had surgery and that impacted his ability, especially with the bow drops. I don't know. I wish he would have worked out. I wish he would have given more. He was not what I listened for, sadly. He still will always be a founding member of my favorite band of all time, having made solid contributions at one time, and I hope he is ok. I hope he finds his way.
    Old 08-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #40
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    I wonder if any member of the band pays any attention to the state of Boyd - at min what we all can infer from public appearance. Between his recent two man band effort to his activity on cameo… they would have to have some sympathy for their former band mate and brother, right? While they tour and record new songs, enjoying life - the contrast in lives lived is stark. Or maybe they are happy for him making his own way.
    It really depends on how long behind the scenes they were trying to get him to change his ways, and how much he did or didn't listen to them. If bad stuff was going down for a long time, why do you think they'd feel sorry for him now? But if it all happened suddenly (which it did not), then maybe I'd see how they might feel like it was a "bad period". But it didn't all happen suddenly.
    Old 08-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #41
    clintmwells

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Insightful stuff. You once commented about some of the members of DMB having fraud syndRome and that’s really stuck with me the last couple of years.
    clintmwells is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 04:27 AM   #42
    timoutback

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Yes, this
    timoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #43
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    The overwhelming majority of audience members at a DMB show don't possess a modicum of violin acumen and are unable to recognize Boyd's musical limitations; all they see is a badass dude with dreadlocks absolutely shredding on a instrument that's typically not utilized in this type of musical setting. To the untrained ear, his simple solos sound awesome and like an example of a harder "rock violin" sound. If you put a virtuoso like Joshua Bell on stage with DMB, he would undoubtedly play more complex and melodic solos than Boyd but I bet casual fans would lambaste him and criticize his playing for sounding "too classical" or "not energetic enough." To most DMB fans, Boyd is a killer violinist because they know nothing about the violin. People can recognize adroit and average guitar playing because so much music features the guitar, they're naïve when it comes to the violin though. When you know nothing about the instrument, Boyd seems like an absolute God compared to the asshole you saw playing violin at a mainstream country show. By being significantly inferior to other professional violinists, Boyd is is able to seem unique to some listeners since he's playing a simple style that most skilled violin players never replicate in their live performances.
    This is true and I will admit that I don’t have much interest in another violin player because of the energy he brought over actual sound playing ability.
    That said, seeing a sound player and comparing, BT can’t keep up.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #44
    awsomepath

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

He's probably just chilling in Narnia
    Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #45
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clintmwells View Post
    Insightful stuff. You once commented about some of the members of DMB having fraud syndRome and that’s really stuck with me the last couple of years.
    Wow, you have an extraordinary memory! I don't even remember saying that, but I believe it so I'm not surprised I did.

Honestly, most humans have a level of Fraud Syndrome, and most very famous or very powerful people absolutely have it. Understanding that can change so much about how "civilians" (non-famous/non-super powerful people) interact with the famous and powerful, for the better.

Sadly, another side of fame (which probably affected Boyd) is that the more famous you get, the less people hold you accountable or more able you are to shut out the people who are trying to give you good advice. I don't know anything about any specific conversations that happened between Boyd & other band members or management, but I know it just gets harder because it's much easier to isolate when you are famous, even if the people trying to talk to you are just as famous as you are.
    Old 08-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #46
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I can't believe so many people here gave him a pass so long as he prancercised on stage while making a mockery of what a violin can sound in a rock band.
    I'm absolutely guilty of this. I used to defend him and his playing to anyone who would ever say anything negative. Now I listen to later Boyd-era shows and I I'm sort of disgusted by how bad he would find himself sounding.

As much as I miss the OG-DMB sound (and man, do I miss it), this seems to be the healthiest version of this Band.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    thank you. never knew about roi and drugs. I wonder to what extend he used them beyond maybe weed. he was my hero growing up. miss the guy.
    It was (at least) coke. I'm not saying that to blemish the man's name or reputation. I'll freely admit that I had a nasty drug addiction for years. It is what it is.

But, per a very reliable source who spoke to me about it years ago, it was coke.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #47
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Wow. I wouldn't bat an eye if it came to light Boyd was on coke, but I'm taken aback Roi had a habit.
    Old 08-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #48
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As much as I miss the OG-DMB sound (and man, do I miss it), this seems to be the healthiest version of this Band.
    This is exactly how I feel. Well said.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #49
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Wow. I wouldn't bat an eye if it came to light Boyd was on coke, but I'm taken aback Roi had a habit.
    That's how I felt. I don't know how bad it was. I don't picture Roi looking like Tony Montana at the end of Scarface with a pile of coke on his desk. But apparently it was somewhat of a "thing".
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #50
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

In terms of knowing how to build excitement in a solo and when to ease back, he was great at that. In that sense he knew how to time his dynamics. Everyone in that original band had excellent dynamics. Even Boyd. But his actual sense of time was terrible. There are so many times Carter had to either start tapping quarter notes on the hi hat to reel him back in, or straight up reset the time because he was so off.

I was listening to Grey Street from last Friday’s Mansfield show and noticed that Buddy has now dropped the keys altogether on that song and is playing synth violin throughout. I love that they have recognized that sound needs a better cover than an organ, and it sounded pretty good for what it is. At least sounds fuller. But if they notice it so much that they are resorting to synth violin…I mean do I even have to say it?
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #51
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Was Boyd ever formally released from DMB, or is he just on a (most likely permanent) break?

Or, to put it another way, if he showed up clean and sober and in command of his instrument again, would he be welcomed back or did all the other stuff surrounding his departure burn all his bridges with the band?

This might explain why Dave didn’t just immediately replace the violin when Boyd left. He did in some ways replace the energy of Boyd, which was his biggest contribution, by bringing in Buddy.
    tubaguy1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #52
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubaguy1145 View Post
    Was Boyd ever formally released from DMB, or is he just on a (most likely permanent) break?

Or, to put it another way, if he showed up clean and sober and in command of his instrument again, would he be welcomed back or did all the other stuff surrounding his departure burn all his bridges with the band?

This might explain why Dave didn’t just immediately replace the violin when Boyd left. He did in some ways replace the energy of Boyd, which was his biggest contribution, by bringing in Buddy.
    I’ve read some “in the know” type saying there’s no chance he returns. Think I’m leaning towards believing that’s the case. I mean, they dropped his ass so fast. He was off the bands website within 24 hours of his announcing his stepping away. I think some shit went down, but I don’t know anything. It would be nice to think he could return if healthy and in a good place, crazier things have happened. But they barely even mention the guy.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #53
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I’ve read some “in the know” type saying there’s no chance he returns. Think I’m leaning towards believing that’s the case. I mean, they dropped his ass so fast. He was off the bands website within 24 hours of his announcing his stepping away. I think some shit went down, but I don’t know anything. It would be nice to think he could return if healthy and in a good place, crazier things have happened. But they barely even mention the guy.
    #MeToo will do that. He was accused of some pretty bad stuff, right? Never cared to read much about it - out of just my general disgust w the band at the time.
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #54
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

My Tour Central Stats

yeah I'm of the opinion that his ouster had nothing to do with any kind of me too issues whatsoever
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #55
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    yeah I'm of the opinion that his ouster had nothing to do with any kind of me too issues whatsoever

If he was thought of as being as important as Dave, Carter or Stefan I'd assume they would be trying to find a way to make it all work
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #56
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd
    Having ears. You can say something sounds bad without claiming to be able to do better.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #57
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    Having ears. You can say something sounds bad without claiming to be able to do better.

I could link to many violinists playing pop music on YouTube that I seriously doubt Boyd could perfectly match, because of what he's shown to be capable of on stage.
    Old 08-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #58
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Boyd is that you??
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #59
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    If he was thought of as being as important as Dave, Carter or Stefan I'd assume they would be trying to find a way to make it all work
    I have zero recent inside knowledge of this issue, but based on what I do know, to me it's ONLY something like a #MeToo type of issue that would get someone seriously kicked out. Bad playing or drugs (drugs to a point, there IS a limit) all seem workable or work-on-able. A verified MeToo situation, especially if it wasn't the first (I'm basing that on what I read here when it was happening) is a whole different story, given the principles this band stands on.

So, also not based on any current inside knowledge, I agree with those who think he's never going to return. MAYBE a one-off surprise "jump in" at a show, but never as a band member or recording member is my guess.

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 08-23-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Old 08-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #60
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think that was just the excuse they needed.