the (2021) summer so far - Page 21 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-31-2021, 10:18 PM   #601
8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Daviiiiiid! I can't hear Jeffreeeey!!!! I'm a little crazy. A little?!! I said a little. Maybe . . .
8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-31-2021, 10:33 PM   #602
    #41#36#40

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Daviiiiiid! I can't hear Jeffreeeey!!!! I'm a little crazy. A little?!! I said a little. Maybe . . .
    Fuck ya homie…
    #41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:35 PM   #603
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutofDarkness View Post
    Yeah, there's always a ton of contextual factors that change how you view a show. My first show was Bristow '12, which was an absolute trainwreck of a set, but I had a great time because it was my first show. As for '16, DOTHS never did much for me, and Sugar Will was too little, too late. Conversely, I really enjoyed '18. IMO the tighter, more compressed set actually helped the show flow better: it was banger after banger, and it never dragged.
    Kind of my consensus about 4.0 in general.. different but the shoes are usually pretty fast paced and energetic. I’m the 90s early 00’s.. they would take forever between songs sometimes and then play a 12 minute proudest monkey satellite crash true reflections run
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #604
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41#36#40 View Post
    Fuck ya homie…
    What do you mean?
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:46 PM   #605
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What do you mean?
    I’m right here with ya man.. party time
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:47 PM   #606
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

How many people get delta Covid after these 3 DMB shows?? Florida has 21000 cases reported today alone!! 18000 yesterday.. fuckkkkkk
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:51 PM   #607
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

PT is congruent
    Old 07-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #608
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    This might be my favorite show of the 5 I did this tour. I wouldn't usually do so many in a row, but since my tickets all rolled over from 2020, it was pretty easy to logistically make happen.

This was the most fun I saw the guys have this run of shows. Considering the setlist and just how on point they were (special shout out to Carter's extremely tight playing tonight), I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up as the LT that inevitably commemorates the uniqueness of coming back after the pandemic. Encore aside (which I actually dug cause it seemed to match up with the darker tone of the setlist), the main set was absolute fire, and also had nice showcases for the new tunes.

All in all I've had a lot of fun this run. While I'm still frustrated that my hunt for JTR continues, I got my first:
    Granny
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sweet
    Best of What's Around
    Recently
    You Never Know
    Raven
    If Only
    So Damn Lucky
    Gravedigger

And that doesn't include the three new tunes, and the third verse of Grey Street. That's just wild to me.

Besides stronger encores (and a freaking JTR for myself), I can't really complain about 2021 DMB. Yes, last nights set was pretty rough, but tonights set really brought the fire. On to the next shows and I hope everyone else has a great summer with whatever show(s) you might be going to. Let the hunt for JTR begin again!

This guy is having a ton of fun. (Jealous here in the Burgh.) I want JTR. And I hope it rains during part of the show
    Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 PM   #609
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Haha did Dave really talk about vaccines and then play YMDT directly after in Florida?
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 11:49 PM   #610
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    That makes zero sense.
    All the data is saved on a memory card as 24 bit and can be uploaded just as fast and easy as any other recording.
    The mics should not have anything to do with it as it’s not like trying to import 1080 vs 4k video where the 4k will take more time each step of the way.
    This is exactly what he wrote:
    https://images2.imgbox.com/dc/90/DvJlAxF3_o.jpeg
    Old 08-01-2021, 04:35 AM   #611
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

the (2021) summer so far

DMBHub says that WPB N2 is reminiscent of the Alpharetta show (7.27).
    Here is a comparison of the two setlists. Which one is better for you?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...49096ea009.jpg

Last edited by Xcacel; 08-01-2021 at 04:39 AM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 04:51 AM   #612
    Perch1019

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Haha did Dave really talk about vaccines and then play YMDT directly after in Florida?

I think he said something about his Florida was only closed 3 weeks vs NY which was closed a year. Dave will see how well they worked out for NY when he visits in Nov and outside his hotel it's a homeless encampment with boarded up shops.
    Perch1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 05:29 AM   #613
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    DMBHub says that WPB N2 is reminiscent of the Alpharetta show (7.27).<br>
    Here is a comparison of the two setlists. Which one is better for you?<br>
    <br>
    <a href="https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210801/0754ba912a5171cfe5984149096ea009.jpg" target="_blank">https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...49096ea009.jpg</a>
    Nice chart.

Alpharetta for me for DIDO alone.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #614
    DMBlunts

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Well DIDO was a game changer...but I think WPB N2 is a truly complete set and one of the best Dave has put together in years.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #615
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    DMBHub says that WPB N2 is reminiscent of the Alpharetta show (7.27).
    Here is a comparison of the two setlists. Which one is better for you?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...49096ea009.jpg
    WPB N2

Tampa is best show of tour so far IMo
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #616
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    Well DIDO was a game changer...but I think WPB N2 is a truly complete set and one of the best Dave has put together in years.
    From the looks of it, WPB N2 looked like a really really short show, no? Did it end early?
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #617
    drgonzotx

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FSUnTwoStepToo View Post
    I doubt they'll ever have a guest violin. There would be such an outcry for a permanent violin after seeing a guest and I don't think the band would want to deal with that.

I have zero insider knowledge, I just see that they didn't rush to add an violinist after Boyd's departure. It's for a reason.
    I could not agree anymore! Most conjecture about Boyd's departure has to do with his behavior personally and professionally but I think nobody but the band knows what happened and why. Whatever happened with Boyd leaving in my opinion had nothing to do with why we have no violin anymore. I have been seeing this band since 1999 and around 2005 the violin's mix started getting quieter and Tim's guitar started being mixed louder as well as the addition of the Trumpet. In my opinion...if it were just Boyd there would be a violin right now...I think Dave started pulling the sound of the band away from the violin way back then and that was one of the reasons why Boyd disconnected from the band. Then when all that sexual misconduct went public (Band knew about this stuff in the 90s) it was the opening Dave was looking for to finally get rid of the violin.

The thing with Dave is that he always does what he wants and doesn't particularly care about what the fans want...it's just up until 2005 (or perhaps even before during the Everyday sessions) what Dave wanted meshed with what the fans wanted but that was the fork in the road where what Dave wanted was diverging from what the majority of fans wanted.

Just a hypothesis but one that I think accounts for a lot of what we are seeing and why there was never a violin after Boyd left.
    drgonzotx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #618
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drgonzotx View Post
    I could not agree anymore! Most conjecture about Boyd's departure has to do with his behavior personally and professionally but I think nobody but the band knows what happened and why. Whatever happened with Boyd leaving in my opinion had nothing to do with why we have no violin anymore. I have been seeing this band since 1999 and around 2005 the violin's mix started getting quieter and Tim's guitar started being mixed louder as well as the addition of the Trumpet. In my opinion...if it were just Boyd there would be a violin right now...I think Dave started pulling the sound of the band away from the violin way back then and that was one of the reasons why Boyd disconnected from the band. Then when all that sexual misconduct went public (Band knew about this stuff in the 90s) it was the opening Dave was looking for to finally get rid of the violin.

The thing with Dave is that he always does what he wants and doesn't particularly care about what the fans want...it's just up until 2005 (or perhaps even before during the Everyday sessions) what Dave wanted meshed with what the fans wanted but that was the fork in the road where what Dave wanted was diverging from what the majority of fans wanted.

Just a hypothesis but one that I think accounts for a lot of what we are seeing and why there was never a violin after Boyd left.
    I assume they have no violin because they want to respect Boyd and not replace him outright considering the situation. Unlike Roi who passed unexpectedly, Boyd is still around and has to live with the consequences of what has happened. I think, to make that easier on him, they filled out the sound but didn't fully replace him. I honestly think replacing him might have been too much for Boyd to handle.
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #619
    drgonzotx

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    I assume they have no violin because they want to respect Boyd and not replace him outright considering the situation. Unlike Roi who passed unexpectedly, Boyd is still around and has to live with the consequences of what has happened. I think, to make that easier on him, they filled out the sound but didn't fully replace him. I honestly think replacing him might have been too much for Boyd to handle.
    Definitely a solid hypothesis considering how supportive they were in him getting help and taking time away from the band until all the stuff came out in the news. I don't know much insider info, but I do know the band never really cared about Boyd's extracurricular activities considering in the late 90s new young male roadies were given a heads up about Boyd liking young men and not to worry much if he hits on you
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #620
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I like this hypothesis a lot. I also like the one someone posted a few months ago about something breaking in Dave's ability to studio-write songs during the Everyday sessions.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #621
    drgonzotx

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    I like this hypothesis a lot. I also like the one someone posted a few months ago about something breaking in Dave's ability to studio-write songs during the Everyday sessions.
    In the DMB behind the Music, Steve Lillywhite said exactly that only it was the Lillywhite Sessions that broke him and had he known how much he was struggling he could have helped him out more.
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #622
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In the DMB behind the Music, Steve Lillywhite said exactly that only it was the Lillywhite Sessions that broke him and had he known how much he was struggling he could have helped him out more.
    No, the hypothesis was in regards to something in Dave breaking to the point where his writing was forever altered in a studio environment.

I'm not talking about breaking down amid penning the genius songs that were tLWS.
    Old 08-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #623
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    No, the hypothesis was in regards to something in Dave breaking to the point where his writing was forever altered in a studio environment.

I'm not talking about breaking down amid penning the genius songs that were tLWS.
    Easiest way to look at it is when you doing something different makes your job infinitely easier, do you really want to go back to doing it the hard way?
    Old 08-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #624
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Easiest way to look at it is when you doing something different makes your job infinitely easier, do you really want to go back to doing it the hard way?
    I hear what you're saying, but we're talking about an artist here.
    A process that ends with I Did It and Angel should scare the shit out of you as an artist when you birthed Grey St. and Grace is Gone a mere year prior.
    Old 08-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #625
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

The tape of WPB N2 (07.31.2021) is on dreamingtree.

Here are the MP3s

https://mega.nz/folder/uUwC1YhS#sRueDj-GSc6IAGLy-KaH2Q
    Old 08-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #626
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Don't. Don't try heroin. Instead be a hero to someone. But this Rhyme and Reason jam from 7.31.2021 is awesome. I feel like I've heard it in my head this way before
    Old 08-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #627
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

In my dreams
    Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #628
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

IMO the mid-run Nancies > Warehouse > Stolen Away > Rhyme & Reason is a pretty consistent one.
    That moves the balance needle towards WPB N2
    Old 08-02-2021, 05:43 AM   #629
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This guy is having a ton of fun. (Jealous here in the Burgh.) I want JTR. And I hope it rains during part of the show
    I agree with his post. Getting Hello Again, SDL, Sweet, SUAD (!), DIDO, JTR (!), Rhyme (my biggest personal liberation yet - fall 2010 to WPB 2021 N2), Stolen, Stone, Riff (completed AFTW finally), etc was tremendous. A great week of shows honestly and I got quite a lot of music I’ve been wanting to see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Yes. Pretty funny. But they should have played another song after it. I think the band was just exhausted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    The tape of WPB N2 (07.31.2021) is on dreamingtree.

Here are the MP3s

https://mega.nz/folder/uUwC1YhS#sRueDj-GSc6IAGLy-KaH2Q
    Not trying to come off as an a-hole, but you should probably not do this. As a taper myself it honestly does not bother ME that much as I enjoy having mp3s available for my own personal use, but it’s pretty standard among 99% of tapers to not want this. For example, that torrent says in all caps “PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS SHOW IN MP3 OR OTHER LOSSY FORMATS *******”

Trust me, I get it, the mp3s are easier. But do it for personal use, etc and just link the torrent. You do great work for the community and I personally greatly appreciate it - I download your stuff all the time. I just don’t want any other tapers seeing that and getting upset.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    From the looks of it, WPB N2 looked like a really really short show, no? Did it end early?
    Very short. Off stage at 10:33 each night. Ran it to 11pm on the dot in Tampa and Alpharetta was like juuuust before 11. Actually every show was getting longer for the first 4 - Raleigh, then Charlotte was longer, then Alpharetta was longer, then Tampa hit 11, etc.

So 10:33 was quite weird to me. The band was exhausted I guess but Dave even wrote the setlists shorter, they are shorter song wise than NC, GA, and I believe Tampa. I thought N1 when they did it that he was saving it up for N2.... nope. By far the shortest shows of the opening run.

Let’s see how the next run of shows go. It’ll tell us if the LONG shows that opened were an anomaly or not. I mean it was hotter than hell out there in WPB but it wasn’t that much (if at all) worse than Charlotte for example.

I tried making a post in a FB group about this but people just don’t understand, they think the 7:45 start means 10:30 end is standard lol. I’m like no.... the Tampa show went until 11.

WPB N2 2019 went quite a bit past 11, I remember the show wrapping up around 11:16-11:20 range. They went very late at that show.

Last edited by Hahninator; 08-02-2021 at 05:45 AM.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #630
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    Not trying to come off as an a-hole, but you should probably not do this. As a taper myself it honestly does not bother ME that much as I enjoy having mp3s available for my own personal use, but it’s pretty standard among 99% of tapers to not want this. For example, that torrent says in all caps “PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS SHOW IN MP3 OR OTHER LOSSY FORMATS *******”

Trust me, I get it, the mp3s are easier. But do it for personal use, etc and just link the torrent. You do great work for the community and I personally greatly appreciate it - I download your stuff all the time. I just don’t want any other tapers seeing that and getting upset.
    You’re right Hanhinator, technically I should ask permission to do that. I don’t know really understand the reason for not distributing in a lossy format, considering that the source is everything but a perfect audio source.
    But it is true, so if the taper do not want that, I won’t do that. So next time I’ll just post the torrent link