the (2021) summer so far - Page 20 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-31-2021, 07:58 AM   #571
Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
It really is crazy. The sets were so good the first few shows, I thought Dave was actually going out of his way to ignore the songs he wanted to play so that he played more songs fans wanted to hear…but then to do this at such a notable venue. Could the first few shows really just have been random/luck coincidental?<br>
<br>
I just can’t understand how the set can change from good near great to this pile otherwise (unless Dave made a conscious effort to say f you to the WPB crowd).
We’ll have to See what happens obviously but I thought the opening leg (four shows specifically) were an outlier. When I booked them, I thought I’d get a full repeat set list by show three. Statistically, we usually see that every tour. It was nice to see it so different and I hope it continues, and WPB N1 was an outlier.
Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #572
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I’m almost positive I heard groans and boos on the Sirius broadcast when Shake Me ended too - as the crowd realized that Shake Me was indeed the main set closer.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #573
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I’m eyeing the rest of the Friday shows between now and Burgettstown.

If this is the trend for SiriusXM shows, I’m definitely going to try to recoup my ticket cost.
    Whats the best place to sell?
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 08:59 AM   #574
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Whats the best place to sell?
    Either the boards here or on WH. They’re WH tix, so I’d be selling them at face value - I’m sure they’d go fast.

I’m not sure, but I think I could also list them on LN’s verified fan thing. But fuck LN. And definitely fuck Stubhub
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #575
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Either the boards here or on WH. They’re WH tix, so I’d be selling them at face value - I’m sure they’d go fast.

I’m not sure, but I think I could also list them on LN’s verified fan thing. But fuck LN. And definitely fuck Stubhub
    If they're LN tickets, can I sell on Stubhub and SeatGeek?
    Old 07-31-2021, 09:34 AM   #576
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If they're LN tickets, can I sell on Stubhub and SeatGeek?
    Yeah, and you can sell WH tickets there, too. But if you’re selling at face value, you’re likely going to lose a bit with their fees or whatever.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #577
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Shit on here is funny. I'm not going to say last night was a killer set, but people are acting like it was forcing them to wear a mask or some similar shit that is really a non-issue. This is the crapshoot of changing sets, generally speaking everyone expects one of the two sets in B2B to be objectively "less than" the other, and they played SUaD, WAtM, busted out the 1st Recently (now a relative rarity) for the tour, and they generally sounded quite good despite some of clear issues sean mentioned.

My wife was following some of the SM posting of fans listen to the stream AND at the show...apparently Crash Into Me is a groaner pee break tune now? That's new to me...although it was never a favorite of mine. Regardless, I don't see why everyone's so twisted about this show. Not every set is going to make everyone happy, but there's was plenty to enjoy in this show. I'm glad I wasn't there, because screw being out in late July - August heat in the southeastern U.S. ...it's the only reason I'm not so bummed about shows being delayed and pushed this year. We're still gonna hate the heat/humidity at a few shows (if we go), but there are significantly less for us to sweat through.

Stay safe and hydrated folks. I'm betting tonight is an objectively great show.
    grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 01:04 PM   #578
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The problem with last night's set was the good songs were both few and clustered at the beginning, which meant the last two-thirds of the show was one big awful run. You usually remember the end of a show better than the beginning, so when the end is bad, it sours the whole show.

I think back to Bristow '16, which I attended. Check out this set: http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...154&where=2016 Not a bad start, but after the first few songs it's a whole lot of nothing all the way to the end. In the moment, I was excited to get my first Seek Up (a top 10 song for me.) But I really don't have good memories of that show because of how boring the rest of it was. So it doesn't matter if you have a couple good songs in the beginning of the set if most of the stuff later on is bad.
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #579
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

With the current state of the band, just go to 2- or 3-night stands and you'll be able to laugh off a WPB N1 experience.
    Old 07-31-2021, 01:11 PM   #580
    Bernie41
    2022 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With the current state of the band, just go to 2- or 3-night stands and you'll be able to laugh off a WPB N1 experience.
    This is what I've taken away as well. I think going to single shows is pretty risky at this point (if you are someone who cares about setlists obviously).
    Bernie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #581
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    I didn’t listen to it but there are lots of reason it might not sound as good.
    For starters, that entire taping set up cost less then 1 mic Naylor used.
    Those mics are also overpowered volume wise, real easy - although he does have the mod which helps.
    Could be under powered power wise.
    Could have been the mix too. Many people posted on Jeff’s social media posts that they couldn’t hear him in the mix up close and it sucked

Listen to and compare his 7/24 recordings of at853 vs mk4 and see if you notice a difference

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I am listening now 7/24 from the same taper, recorded with schoeps mk4 (on internet a couple of those microphones is around 3000$) and it sounds fairly good. Probably the best tape so far.

Audiotechnica (which it sucks in most of their stuff) 853 microphones are quite low budget ones: 200$ new. I can understand the difference now, I don’t think at this point it is necessary to compare the 2 recordings of 7/24: I suppose that AK853 will be much lower.
    At this point the question is why even publishing the lower quality tape.

I spoke to Terrel: he said he had both type of instrumentation at the shows he’s been to (Charlotte, Alpharetta, Tampa, WPB), and that it takes muck more time to extract the audio from the MK4s, whereas from the AT853 he can get the tape in a short time. So, we’re probably going to get better tapes of those shows, and for me is good news because I was unhappy with all of them (apart from Charlotte where we have already a good MK4 tape). Many people said that the 853 were ok, but I don’t really enjoy the sound (apart from the mix, Jeff is a ghost in these early shows, for most time).

In the meantime, WBP N1 Sirius stream has been put on DT.
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:16 PM   #582
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutofDarkness View Post
    The problem with last night's set was the good songs were both few and clustered at the beginning, which meant the last two-thirds of the show was one big awful run. You usually remember the end of a show better than the beginning, so when the end is bad, it sours the whole show.

I think back to Bristow '16, which I attended. Check out this set: http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...154&where=2016 Not a bad start, but after the first few songs it's a whole lot of nothing all the way to the end. In the moment, I was excited to get my first Seek Up (a top 10 song for me.) But I really don't have good memories of that show because of how boring the rest of it was. So it doesn't matter if you have a couple good songs in the beginning of the set if most of the stuff later on is bad.
    While I get you, it's all relative and subjective.

We remember 2016 at Bristow because of DOtHS and Sugar Will, first for both for us. Squirm opener, also 1st Kill the Preacher, Why I Am and likely others...it was only our 2nd DMB show after unintentionally going 13 years w/o seeing the band. So, the show stood out for us and laid the groundwork for seeing 3 D&T shows in 2017, 11 (yeah, 11) shows in 2018 between the two tours, and 5 shows in 2019. The closest we came to being disappointed in a show was Bristow 2018...monsoon, short set, Bayou closer.

But even bad runs of songs to finish a show don't diminish an overall good for us. Hartford 2018, we LOVED that show, especially the first 16 songs...the last four though... Closing w/ two SU and last being Bayou and then tSB and Billies encore...not good for me at all, I've always considered Billies a lesser DMB song from first hearing it on RTT. However, that show had Captain, one of the only B&BB of the tour, SoL TD, Granny... It's the highlights that stick in the mind, as while I remember that the show ended "poorly" for me, I didn't remember the exact tunes. I DID remember that we had a great time and enjoyed the show. Terrible poster though...
    grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #583
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I had fun last night, but at a certain point the set lost a lot of steam. I hope tonight it a little more wild. Since Cornbread was cut (and always seems to be played in WPB), I expect it to make a comeback.
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #584
    #41#36#40

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=seanbrutus;18001258]Thing's I noticed during set.

A few missed cues.

Carter missed a few hits that he seemed frustrated with. Definitely think the heat was getting to him.

Same with Dave. At a certain point they all seemed to just lose energy. Buddy was the bright spot, trying to keep the energy up.

They ended real early.

The setlist was rough.

Horns were solid (and clear) for the most part, but I saw Rashawn get frustrated because of his trumpet a few times. I assume the humidity had something to do with it. I saw Jeff changing reeds a few times. I usually pay attention to him during shows and it seemed to stand out to me this time. Felt like it was more than usual.

My second time in West Palm and both times had a blah N1. I actually prefer the 2018 N1 I was at.

I hope tomorrow is better, I really do. I went to the first three shows, then skipped Tampa to come to West Palm. My most chased song is JTR. Missing that song and then seeing this set was a bit much lol[

Did you leave early tho?
    #41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #585
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    It really is crazy. The sets were so good the first few shows, I thought Dave was actually going out of his way to ignore the songs he wanted to play so that he played more songs fans wanted to hear…but then to do this at such a notable venue. Could the first few shows really just have been random/luck coincidental?

I just can’t understand how the set can change from good near great to this pile otherwise (unless Dave made a conscious effort to say f you to the WPB crowd).
    Well hopefully Dave learned a lesson .., I do wonder if him being aware that the Friday shows are broadcast has anything to do with it.. he’s going to treat them like a festival show almost.. just middle of the road .. radio friendly..

I would also imagine the heat had a lot to do with the deadness… but that’s crazy for the fans that haven’t been to shows since 2019.. though in all reality.. for most bands/fans that’s not that long.. PJ fans get to see them roll through about once every 3-4 years at best.. U2 is every 5.. etc..

I think we’ll see DMB stop playing so many shows and smaller venues by 2023
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #586
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    I had fun last night, but at a certain point the set lost a lot of steam. I hope tonight it a little more wild. Since Cornbread was cut (and always seems to be played in WPB), I expect it to make a comeback.
    Is that so you can leave early?
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #587
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bernie41 View Post
    This is what I've taken away as well. I think going to single shows is pretty risky at this point (if you are someone who cares about setlists obviously).
    I think night 1 of any stand is always going to be the least of the 2 or 3… been to a lot of 2 nighters the last decade.. N1 is low energy/effort and way predictable.. if you’ve never seen DMB it’s probably not noticeable.. but it reminds me of an NBA game where lebron might just conserve energy for 3 quarters and then go crazy in the 4th.. the 2nd show usually leaves nothing in the table energy wise and is about 20-30 min longer on average.
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #588
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Alternative artworks for WPB N1

https://images2.imgbox.com/79/d1/6RLad1Yr_o.png

https://images2.imgbox.com/ac/d3/zfJGkp7X_o.png
    Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #589
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

I think every year further we go along the more misses we get then hits.. it’s impossible to repeat the Tampa show so quickly.. that might be the best 4.0 set we’ve ever had.
    Old 07-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #590
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I spoke to Terrel: he said he had both type of instrumentation at the shows he’s been to (Charlotte, Alpharetta, Tampa, WPB), and that it takes muck more time to extract the audio from the MK4s, whereas from the AT853 he can get the tape in a short time. So, we’re probably going to get better tapes of those shows, and for me is good news because I was unhappy with all of them (apart from Charlotte where we have already a good MK4 tape). Many people said that the 853 were ok, but I don’t really enjoy the sound (apart from the mix, Jeff is a ghost in these early shows, for most time).

In the meantime, WBP N1 Sirius stream has been put on DT.

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #591
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I spoke to Terrel: he said he had both type of instrumentation at the shows he’s been to (Charlotte, Alpharetta, Tampa, WPB),
    not sure what that means, maybe that Jeff was low in the mix at all shows??

Quote:
    and that it takes muck more time to extract the audio from the MK4s, whereas from the AT853 he can get the tape in a short time.
    That makes zero sense.
    All the data is saved on a memory card as 24 bit and can be uploaded just as fast and easy as any other recording.
    The mics should not have anything to do with it as it’s not like trying to import 1080 vs 4k video where the 4k will take more time each step of the way.

Quote:
    (apart from the mix, Jeff is a ghost in these early shows, for most time).
    Not sure about this tour but in the past they have done 50/50 splits on the speakers and other yrs they did (example) 75/25.
    50/50 meaning Boyd and Roi where put into each stack equally and the other meaning of you were on Boyd’s side, you got more of his and if on Roi side, more of him.
    So, not paying attention to which stack he was on, that could be part of it too
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #592
    crounsa810

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41#36#40 View Post
    I think we’ll see DMB stop playing so many shows and smaller venues by 2023
    To be fair, people have been saying that they’ll be playing the county fair soon for the last decade. I highly doubt they do this barring any unpredictable pandemic situations
    Old 07-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #593
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

I was in front of the stage left stack in Raleigh, and back center in Charlotte, and struggled to hear Jeff a lotta times. so I don’t think a possible L/R split has to do with it unfortunately
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #594
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whoops. Not sure what this post was, disregard! Must have posted this when my phone was in my pocket.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #595
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

5 out of 6 shows have been good
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #596
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Good shows with shitty encores so far
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #597
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    While I get you, it's all relative and subjective.

We remember 2016 at Bristow because of DOtHS and Sugar Will, first for both for us. Squirm opener, also 1st Kill the Preacher, Why I Am and likely others...it was only our 2nd DMB show after unintentionally going 13 years w/o seeing the band. So, the show stood out for us and laid the groundwork for seeing 3 D&T shows in 2017, 11 (yeah, 11) shows in 2018 between the two tours, and 5 shows in 2019. The closest we came to being disappointed in a show was Bristow 2018...monsoon, short set, Bayou closer.
    Yeah, there's always a ton of contextual factors that change how you view a show. My first show was Bristow '12, which was an absolute trainwreck of a set, but I had a great time because it was my first show. As for '16, DOTHS never did much for me, and Sugar Will was too little, too late. Conversely, I really enjoyed '18. IMO the tighter, more compressed set actually helped the show flow better: it was banger after banger, and it never dragged.
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2021, 09:19 PM   #598
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

This might be my favorite show of the 5 I did this tour. I wouldn't usually do so many in a row, but since my tickets all rolled over from 2020, it was pretty easy to logistically make happen.

This was the most fun I saw the guys have this run of shows. Considering the setlist and just how on point they were (special shout out to Carter's extremely tight playing tonight), I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up as the LT that inevitably commemorates the uniqueness of coming back after the pandemic. Encore aside (which I actually dug cause it seemed to match up with the darker tone of the setlist), the main set was absolute fire, and also had nice showcases for the new tunes.

All in all I've had a lot of fun this run. While I'm still frustrated that my hunt for JTR continues, I got my first:
    Granny
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sweet
    Best of What's Around
    Recently
    You Never Know
    Raven
    If Only
    So Damn Lucky
    Gravedigger

And that doesn't include the three new tunes, and the third verse of Grey Street. That's just wild to me.

Besides stronger encores (and a freaking JTR for myself), I can't really complain about 2021 DMB. Yes, last nights set was pretty rough, but tonights set really brought the fire. On to the next shows and I hope everyone else has a great summer with whatever show(s) you might be going to. Let the hunt for JTR begin again!
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:14 PM   #599
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Good shows with shitty encores so far
    They see everyone leaving so they just play whatever they want. Why even do one anymore? Just play 1 additional song during the 4 minute break they take and call it good.
    Old 07-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #600
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    This might be my favorite show of the 5 I did this tour. I wouldn't usually do so many in a row, but since my tickets all rolled over from 2020, it was pretty easy to logistically make happen.

This was the most fun I saw the guys have this run of shows. Considering the setlist and just how on point they were (special shout out to Carter's extremely tight playing tonight), I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up as the LT that inevitably commemorates the uniqueness of coming back after the pandemic. Encore aside (which I actually dug cause it seemed to match up with the darker tone of the setlist), the main set was absolute fire, and also had nice showcases for the new tunes.

All in all I've had a lot of fun this run. While I'm still frustrated that my hunt for JTR continues, I got my first:
    Granny
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sweet
    Best of What's Around
    Recently
    You Never Know
    Raven
    If Only
    So Damn Lucky
    Gravedigger

And that doesn't include the three new tunes, and the third verse of Grey Street. That's just wild to me.

Besides stronger encores (and a freaking JTR for myself), I can't really complain about 2021 DMB. Yes, last nights set was pretty rough, but tonights set really brought the fire. On to the next shows and I hope everyone else has a great summer with whatever show(s) you might be going to. Let the hunt for JTR begin again!
    How early did you leave tonight??