New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 97 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-11-2021, 06:27 AM   #2881
kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Dave - No social media presence
Carter - No social media presence
Stefan - Putting out some good content on Instagram but his Twitter is a shit show. I respect that he openly declares that his Twitter is his own and not the bands but he definately blurs the line. He puts out some good Instagram videos of him playing bass which I enjoy.
Tim - Generic promotional post for TR3.
Rashwan - Has posted some good Instagram post.
Jeff - Decent post on Instagram
Buddy - Same as Jeff.

Sadly the one person in the band who may have the best ability to push for more social media engagement is also the person that people cringe at after he goes on his political rants. I don't expect anything to change.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-11-2021, 06:42 AM   #2882
    whiskers11

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    That's true for me as well... Lots of bands I'm into have way less social media than dmb
    I don't think it's really a question of how much of a presence they have on social media, it's more what they are doing with that presence. They post fairly often, but never anything beyond fluff.
    whiskers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #2883
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I don't have any updates on the album unfortunately. But I'm going to be sniffing around Los Angeles next week, visiting the Grammy exhibit among other things. I'll make sure to pressure anyone I talk with into giving me album details

I agree with most of the comments about DMB's social media. One criticism I'd level directly at Rodrigo is that he seems to spend as much time promoting himself/his photography as he does any aspect of the band. A typical post may include little more than one of his photos and a link with his name/instagram. The posts that aren't self promotion tend to be overwhelmingly generic and repetitive year to year. As with most things DMB related, there is a lack of attention to detail.

Promoting cover bands and listening parties for Come Tomorrow in Brazil was weird too, especially when there was nothing done in the United States or anywhere else. It's nice that all 10 fans in Brazil got to have a party with a free autographed copy of the album but I know fans in Scandinavia, UK, Germany, Australia, Canada, and of course USA that would also have loved to attend a listening party.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #2884
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

New Album Coming Soon?

I agree with most things that all of you said about how poor the Facebook post of DMB are.

One thing I don’t really understand is the comparison on how good are contents on Phish Facebook in respect to DMB.

I had a quick look of the latest post of Phish Facebook and, to me, they don’t seem so different from DMB ones.

Check out yourself:
    https://www.facebook.com/phish

It is mostly sales of upcoming shows and link to streaming of former shows. The only problem I see is that DMB real resource in streaming of former live shows is mostly on the hands of Copperpot (apart from the lucky Drive in times).

Last edited by Xcacel; 06-11-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #2885
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

No one uses FB anymore

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #2886
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I agree with most things that all of you said about how poor the Facebook post of DMB are.

One thing I don’t really understand is the comparison on how good are contents on Phish Facebook in respect to DMB.

I had a quick look of the latest post of Phish Facebook and, to me, they don’t seem so different from DMB ones.

Check out yourself:

It is mostly sales of upcoming shows and link to streaming of former show. The only problem I see is that DMB real resource in streaming of former live show is mostly on the hands of Copperpot (apart from the lucky Drive in times).

The thing I like about Phish over DMB is that they actually release live shows somewhat often. We get 4 releases a year and that’s it. DMBLive is dead. 4 live trax and a warehouse disc. Not complaining, but they can definitely do more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #2887
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

The amount of live shows released isn’t something I see an issue with. I’m at the point where I’m not as interested as I used to be because I have heard shows from every era of the band. DMB releases more live shows than 99% of bands.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #2888
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Check out yourself:

It is mostly sales of upcoming shows and link to streaming of former shows. The only problem I see is that DMB real resource in streaming of former live shows is mostly on the hands of Copperpot (apart from the lucky Drive in times).

They’re pretty active on IG and do engage with fans repost stuff on their story etc.

They also do so much more on the merch side with their Drygoods IG and Twitter that isn’t necessarily comparable here, but it’s worth mentioning.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #2889
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I can't really picture many guys in their 50's with a wife and kids doing Current Mood on IG regularly, it's cool that JM does it, would never expect DM to
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #2890
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    I don't have any updates on the album unfortunately. But I'm going to be sniffing around Los Angeles next week, visiting the Grammy exhibit among other things. I'll make sure to pressure anyone I talk with into giving me album details

I agree with most of the comments about DMB's social media. One criticism I'd level directly at Rodrigo is that he seems to spend as much time promoting himself/his photography as he does any aspect of the band. A typical post may include little more than one of his photos and a link with his name/instagram. The posts that aren't self promotion tend to be overwhelmingly generic and repetitive year to year. As with most things DMB related, there is a lack of attention to detail.

Promoting cover bands and listening parties for Come Tomorrow in Brazil was weird too, especially when there was nothing done in the United States or anywhere else. It's nice that all 10 fans in Brazil got to have a party with a free autographed copy of the album but I know fans in Scandinavia, UK, Germany, Australia, Canada, and of course USA that would also have loved to attend a listening party.
    Yes, this is another excellent point. It seems like self-promotion is definitely one of his primary goals.
    Old 06-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #2891
    notorious v.i.g

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

The whole thing is very weird. I mean are they still bitter over the LWS? It's like we have to feel guilty for liking the band as much as we do.
    Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
    notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #2892
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think people are asking for all that much on social. I think what's disappointing is that they haven't really changed their strategy or used social as an innovative fan engagement tool or recognized how social has evolved in the past decade.

In the year 2021 there's no need to be sharing the same exact content on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. They could all be used in unique ways.

We don't need to celebrate the anniversary of the release date of every live album every year.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #2893
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Check out yourself:

I think the bigger issues wrt social media are on Instagram and Twitter.

The DMB IG and Twitter are often brutal. And maybe this criticism is actually more for Rodrigo, but when they announce an LT release with a feed-post, and it fails to hit 1K likes (significantly less than most of their posts), that’s probably bad utilization of Insights and not understanding peak times for exposure and the algorithm that will get the most eyes on their content.

At some point you have to make sure you’re using the analytics available to you, especially when promoting something for sale. It’s one thing if they poorly timed a post about a birthday wish to Fonz or whatever. It’s another when it’s a product release and it gets no traction.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 06-11-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #2894
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I think what's most interesting to me is that the stuff to put on their social media is right in front of their eyes. Look at all the shit copperpot has posted - only videos, etc. Just crop portions of those videos. They have better quality videos of the same shows in their vault, but they can be lazy and just use copperpot's. Is it going to be the vault stuff we're all craving? No. Will it be more interesting and entertaining? For sure.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 06-11-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #2895
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I think what's most interesting to me is that the stuff to put on their social media is right in front of their eyes. Look at all the shit copperpot has posted - only videos, etc. Just crop portions of those videos. They have better quality videos of the same shows in their vault, but they can be lazy and just use copperpot's. Is it going to be the vault stuff we're all craving? No. Will it be more interesting and entertaining? For sure.
    To me it seems pretty clear that dont have a committed archivist. Seems just like a team of people who will pull selected content when they are directed to find a show that fits x criteria.

Hiring copperpot and giving him access to what they have in the vaults could be a gold mine if they wanted to. There is so many more things they could be mining for streams/releases/merch/online content. They seem to be so committed to this slow drip release model which I cant imagine is selling nearly as well as the first few years it started. Phish is dropping an archival release monthly at this point. I get they have their own streaming platform but that gap between the two ideologies so stark.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #2896
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Typing that just reminded me again about the merch for the new LT thats just a maple leaf as the backdrop on the band name

Even the designs are lazy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #2897
    Jordan#41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Typing that just reminded me again about the merch for the new LT thats just a maple leaf as the backdrop on the band name

Ha, looks horrible.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #2898
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

No social media? No problem. Now if only the band could keep it old school with the new tunes, we'd be A ok.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #2899
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I actually love that minimalistic design. I’ve spent a ton of time in Canada and I’m a big fan of just the obvious simplistic merch haha
    Old 06-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #2900
    too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Paging 30th anniversary merch...
    too69short is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #2901
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    The e-word has been thrown out. Everybody drink!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    My point is that he’s not coming on the podcast because he runs their social media. That will be a small part of the discussion, but the interview will be focused on many more topics than that

Reading the last posts I think that a brutal question to ask to Rodrigo would be about the video footage of live shows (what some Ants refers as the vault).

We know that Rodrigo takes tons of photos and has a large archive of other photos (Rene Huemer’s mainly, and others). And he selects from this archive when posts about a birthday or a show anniversary.

The question is: why the management don’t provide him access also to the video footage that is filmed almost in every show? Where is all this material, who keeps that, if not him, and why we cannot get regularly live clips from those unreleased shows?

Now, looking at credits in Drive-in videos, the guys that should have physical access to the vault should be:
    • Tucker Rogers (DMB music archivist for 21 years)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/tucker-rogers-45268618
    • Stephen Thomas (should be this guy here, a freelancer specialized in music recording that has worked with the Stones too: http://www.stevethomas.info).
    • Mike Lane (video director of many DMB videos, including Gorge, Piedmont Park and I think most of all Drive-ins.

From here we know also that “Each camera footage is isolated and a copy of the director’s cut is kept for post-production reference. DMB typically plays a two and a half hour set, accruing up to two terabytes per show. Each of these shows are archived on external drives and catalogued back at DMBʼs studio in Charlottesville, VA. After the content is captured it is then considered for future uses that include web videos, social media and potential live show releases.

We also know that when Sam Erickson made the wonderful documentary “The Road to Big Whiskey”, back in 2009, he was given access to a huge archive of unreleased footage, which included behind the scene footage, concert clips and so on (one example is the unreleased footage of 2008.08.19 @ Staples Center show, when Dave announced Roi’s death).
    All that amazing footage was credited to Red Light Management (of course), and I believe that Patrick Jordan is one of the managers that takes care of that aspect.
    Curiously, Jordan is quite active on social media under the nick of quarterroy (see here his FB), posting DMB photos and links to streams. I assume that the same guy is taking care of sharing the material for broadcasts also for Phish, and maybe is involved in Livephish portal too (which is powered by nugs.net).

The bottom line is the same outlined by other Ants before me: since Red Light Management is the same company managing all these artists, why not giving the same treatment in allowing the sharing of quality videos also for DMB? This is the question I would like to be answered.

Last edited by Xcacel; 06-11-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #2902
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To me it seems pretty clear that dont have a committed archivist. Seems just like a team of people who will pull selected content when they are directed to find a show that fits x criteria.

Hiring copperpot and giving him access to what they have in the vaults could be a gold mine if they wanted to. There is so many more things they could be mining for streams/releases/merch/online content. They seem to be so committed to this slow drip release model which I cant imagine is selling nearly as well as the first few years it started. Phish is dropping an archival release monthly at this point. I get they have their own streaming platform but that gap between the two ideologies so stark.

The archivist does what his boss tells him to do.
    It’s management that gives the instructions of what to share and when. Copperpot is a genius, but he would need carte blanche to do what il he is good at.
    Old 06-11-2021, 11:29 PM   #2903
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    No one uses FB anymore

I don’t know if this is true.

But I think that for a music artist/band the #1 media to share contents is YouTube.

Now, this is what was posted on DMB official YT channel (345k subscribers) in the last 7 months.

https://images2.imgbox.com/7f/ff/IzjzAhRV_o.jpeg

8 videos in total, 3 of them about Carter & Dave. No behind the scenes. No clips from older shows. That’s infinitely poor.
    Old 06-12-2021, 05:57 AM   #2904
    lc_2000

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I’m a social media manager for multiple clients of multiple sizes and there’s a common theme with them all: a limited amount of content that they’ll let me use. This is probably the case with DMB. Whoever is behind the scenes surely knows there’s demand for more, but can only post what they’re dealt. The individual band members have nothing to do with the main DMB page and probably really don’t care.

Now let this thread get back to new album speculation (or previous album bashing that everyone does so well)
    lc_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #2905
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

In my honest opinion, A few fans that have leaked shit multiple times over the last 22 years have soured DMB to their own fanbase. It's not that extreme, but there definitely seems like there's some resentment from what people in the know have hinted at around here.

The Batson Sessions seemed to have put the entire fanbase in a time out.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #2906
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lc_2000 View Post
    Now let this thread get back to new album speculation (or previous album bashing that everyone does so well)
    Usually by now someone at least has a fake track list we can discuss...

Hoping for some news...lets gooooo
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #2907
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    The thing I like about Phish over DMB is that they actually release live shows somewhat often. We get 4 releases a year and that’s it. DMBLive is dead. 4 live trax and a warehouse disc. Not complaining, but they can definitely do more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's because Phish shows have 10X the diversity of sets and jams as DMB shows. Capshaw slow drips releases for DMB because that's the best use of the bands content to maximize on the profit of the shows slowly over time. Whereas Capshaw with Phish releases more shows per year because there are so many unique shows they have in the vault.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #2908
    ToySoldier#34

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Phish fan: "no you don't get it, they're amazing, some songs have 42 parts"

Fan of structured music: "exactly..."
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #2909
    Pmfnharris
    17 Year Gorge Expert

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no one uses fb anymore
    but the family!!!! Someone think of the family!!!
    Pmfnharris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #2910
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Phish fan: "no you don't get it, they're amazing, some songs have 42 parts"

Fan of structured music: "exactly..."